• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

xotGD

Established Member
I think you need a load of these and a pot of grey paint. :)

And a skip, and some beer barrels. And not to forget miniature espresso machine for the buffet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And a skip, and some beer barrels. And not to forget miniature espresso machine for the buffet!

Yes! I spent quite a bit of money buying strange things for my travellers site. Washing machines, sofas etc. :lol:

xotGD

Established Member
Yes! I spent quite a bit of money buying strange things for my travellers site. Washing machines, sofas etc. :lol:
My wife is just about OK with wagons and coaching stock. I think a collection of model skips and dustbins might just be a step too far!

SprattyHeath

Just received my first lot of new Mk4 rolling stock to go with the LNER 91. Will be getting a full rake pretty soon.

1661291929045.png
1661291960762.png

1661291979531.png

1661291994895.png
1661292099115.png

SprattyHeath

Those are really cool. In the bottom photo how have you managed to get the coaches so close coupled?
Each coach has a special semi-permanent coupler that was made specifically for the mk4 sets so you can close couple as the standard tension lock coupling distance is diabolical (pics below). It's not perfect however as it's a bit of a faff getting them into the NEM socket (reminds me of Bachmanns drawbars on some of their Multiple Units like the 150, 350, 221s which I hate).

I will be getting some of the newly released Hunt Magnetic Couplings where they do a pack that is enough for a full rake at £15, much easier to use and still gives a very nice realistic close coupling. 1661292944336.png

1661293031527.png

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Each coach has a special semi-permanent coupler that was made specifically for the mk4 sets so you can close couple as the standard tension lock coupling distance is diabolical (pics below). It's not perfect however as it's a bit of a faff getting them into the NEM socket (reminds me of Bachmanns drawbars on some of their Multiple Units like the 150, 350, 221s which I hate).

I will be getting some of the newly released Hunt Magnetic Couplings where they do a pack that is enough for a full rake at £15, much easier to use and still gives a very nice realistic close coupling. View attachment 119707

View attachment 119708

Yep that’s a bit of a gap! Could you post some photos of the magnetic couplings when you get them please?
I’d be interested as to how they work.

341o2

Established Member
My latest acquisition, through the generosity of Freecycle is a 6x4 layout, with track and wiring, so I can start to run my collection, stock which will run on Peco track (I have some old Triang stock, yes the Jinty and Princess with steamroller treads and deep flanges)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not really a "latest acquisition" quite yet, but I had a call from Model Railway Solutions this morning to say that the baseboards I've ordered will be sent out today and be with me tomorrow... so I'll be running out of excuses for not having anything to show off in the ongoing projects thread!

Also recently arrived are: an EFE West Riding bus (apparently a Wright Volvo Endurance, but modern bus designs are all Greek to me) which claims to be 1:76 scale but looks a bit oversized next to an Oxford Die-cast VW Combi. Also got a pack of Scenecraft relay boxes and lineside telephones with stop boards to sit at the end of my colliery sidings.

Well, the baseboards arrived yesterday and are still in their packaging (see photo #1), and the space for the layout (photo #2) cleared. I'll need to make some legs to make up the difference in height between the shelving units and windowsill of course!

Attachments

• 20220826_175625.jpg
    20220826_175625.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20220826_181153.jpg
    20220826_181153.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Established Member
Yep that’s a bit of a gap! Could you post some photos of the magnetic couplings when you get them please?
I’d be interested as to how they work.
Here are some pic's of my XC Mk3's with the magnetic couplings. Similar to the Mk4's above they came with NEM couplings and a semi bar but for ease of use I swapped them for the magnetic Hunt ones.
IMG_20220826_192815.jpgIMG_20220826_192757.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
Just received my first lot of new Mk4 rolling stock to go with the LNER 91. Will be getting a full rake pretty soon.

View attachment 119701
View attachment 119702

View attachment 119703

View attachment 119704
View attachment 119705
Those look absolutely brilliant - comparing those to the original 91+DVT I've got (in the old Intercity Swallow livery so admittedly not a perfect like-for-like comparison but good enough), to give Hornby their credit you can see the improvements: particularly in all the fine printing on the carriage letter stickers and the warning notices. Can you change which lights come on in the 91 and the DVT to do day and night running settings?

My latest acquisition, through the generosity of Freecycle is a 6x4 layout, with track and wiring, so I can start to run my collection, stock which will run on Peco track (I have some old Triang stock, yes the Jinty and Princess with steamroller treads and deep flanges)
I'd not heard about this site until reading your post - it looks to be one of those places to definitely keep your eye on in case any good items come up (as you've found)! You can have an awful lot of fun with a 6'x4' layout - I don't suppose you could post any photos if you get the chance/are able to?

Not really a "latest acquisition" quite yet, but I had a call from Model Railway Solutions this morning to say that the baseboards I've ordered will be sent out today and be with me tomorrow... so I'll be running out of excuses for not having anything to show off in the ongoing projects thread!

Also recently arrived are: an EFE West Riding bus (apparently a Wright Volvo Endurance, but modern bus designs are all Greek to me) which claims to be 1:76 scale but looks a bit oversized next to an Oxford Die-cast VW Combi. Also got a pack of Scenecraft relay boxes and lineside telephones with stop boards to sit at the end of my colliery sidings.

Well, the baseboards arrived yesterday and are still in their packaging (see photo #1), and the space for the layout (photo #2) cleared. I'll need to make some legs to make up the difference in height between the shelving units and windowsill of course!
I'm liking the sound of all that - I can understand with the bus specifics; I'm no better! That looks like a lovely little spot to put a layout in. :)

-Peter

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Oh yes. Did your boards arrive @61653 HTAFC?
They did, but they're still all packaged up for now as seen in the photo a few posts back. Don't think I'll get anything done on them today, as I need to take my punishment of watching a probably hapless Huddersfield Town get turned over again!

I'm liking the sound of all that - I can understand with the bus specifics; I'm no better! That looks like a lovely little spot to put a layout in. :)
It's not a bad space considering the size of my flat, though I'm not sure about the direct sunlight so will probably jerry-rig some sort of dust/shade cover.
If I owned the place rather than renting, the temptation would be to work out some sort of pulley system to allow a much larger layout which could be raised out of the way when not in use, as my ceilings are about 4m high!

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
It's not a bad space considering the size of my flat, though I'm not sure about the direct sunlight so will probably jerry-rig some sort of dust/shade cover.
If I owned the place rather than renting, the temptation would be to work out some sort of pulley system to allow a much larger layout which could be raised out of the way when not in use, as my ceilings are about 4m high!
Ah yes I can see sunlight being a bit of an issue, particularly during the summer months. I've found a small section of my track warped and buckled in the heat a while ago, and it doesn't get direct sunlight so it's something to be wary of! Though well-laid track should help reduce some of the bad effects (well you'd hope!). That sounds great as an idea, to be able to lift the board up; I've heard of a few people doing that. I want to suggest I've seen somewhere, someone doing that in a garage - though you need to make sure your next car fits under the railway :lol:

-Peter :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Ah yes I can see sunlight being a bit of an issue, particularly during the summer months. I've found a small section of my track warped and buckled in the heat a while ago, and it doesn't get direct sunlight so it's something to be wary of! Though well-laid track should help reduce some of the bad effects (well you'd hope!). That sounds great as an idea, to be able to lift the board up; I've heard of a few people doing that. I want to suggest I've seen somewhere, someone doing that in a garage - though you need to make sure your next car fits under the railway :lol:

-Peter :)
That window at least is oriented in such a way that it doesn't get fully direct sunlight. It may not be clear from the photo, but all the out-of-control greenery outside blocks much of the light anyway. I should probably get on to the (useless) management company about trimming it back, but I'm in a bit of a quandary: On the one hand it makes the flat a bit gloomy... but on the other hand it may protect my railway!

SprattyHeath

Those look absolutely brilliant - comparing those to the original 91+DVT I've got (in the old Intercity Swallow livery so admittedly not a perfect like-for-like comparison but good enough), to give Hornby their credit you can see the improvements: particularly in all the fine printing on the carriage letter stickers and the warning notices. Can you change which lights come on in the 91 and the DVT to do day and night running settings?

Yes, both the DVT & the 91 have a Day & Night switch at the bottom of the underframe, still sadly not on a function button from the decoder

Peter C

Established Member
Yes, both the DVT & the 91 have a Day & Night switch at the bottom of the underframe, still sadly not on a function button from the decoder
Ah ok - thanks! That's a shame about it not being available using the decoder: you'd have thought they could work all that stuff out by now. Especially if it's not got sound, surely there are enough functions available!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of new additions from me. Firstly a Bachmann BR Blue weathered class 20 to do the shunting/station pilot job in the BR blue period:

thumbnail_IMG_8531.jpg

And secondly- at the smaller end of the scale- I've picked up a handful of etched locomotive Headboards for some of the more prestigious services that might appear on the layout from time to time from Silver Tay Models:

thumbnail_IMG_8532.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
A couple of new additions from me. Firstly a Bachmann BR Blue weathered class 20 to do the shunting/station pilot job in the BR blue period:

View attachment 120023

And secondly- at the smaller end of the scale- I've picked up a handful of etched locomotive Headboards for some of the more prestigious services that might appear on the layout from time to time from Silver Tay Models:

View attachment 120024
That 20 looks very nice. Might you be adorning it with a West Highland Terrier?

xotGD

Established Member
A couple of further additions to the KWVR collection:

Shark and 1-Plank.jpg

The LMS 1-plank wagon is a Bachmann model, while the Shark is Hornby.

Here is an extremely poor picture of what I think is the real LMS 1-plank, 106739, loaded with junk at Ingrow, and unfortunately I don't have a photo of the shark DB993889 - not even a fin.

1-plank.JPG

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 120053

Here is an extremely poor picture of what I think is the real LMS 1-plank, 106739, loaded with junk at Ingrow, and unfortunately I don't have a photo of the shark DB993889 - not even a fin.

View attachment 120054
Those both look very nice - actually that Shark is making me wonder how one might fit in on my own layout. Does this mean you're an influencer now? ;)

-Peter

xotGD

Established Member
Those both look very nice - actually that Shark is making me wonder how one might fit in on my own layout. Does this mean you're an influencer now? ;)

-Peter
Thanks! My challenge (and yours???) is now to acquire the appropriate ballast wagons to make up a rake.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks! My challenge (and yours???) is now to acquire the appropriate ballast wagons to make up a rake.

Love the collection that you’re building up. It’s really individual and interesting.

Ayman Ilham

Went back to the Locoshed in Whitefield (Greater Manchester) and grabbed some more Virgin coaches, a Mk2F TFO and another Mk3 TSO (have two of them now); hopefully you'll see the full rake pulled by my trusty Class 47.

Attachments

• 20220830_165636.jpg
    20220830_165636.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11

reddragon

Established Member

View attachment 120053

View attachment 120054
Are you going to replicate the typical heritage railway scrap line?