• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is the North-South divide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Yorkshire seems to be about halfway up on the map, so Yorkshire and Humberside and Lancashire should be 'The Midlands'.

One of my favourite road signs is where the A62 crosses the A1: exit here for
"The North
The South"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Birmingham. Above there is the north, below is the south and Brum itself is in no mans land!
That puts places like Shrewsbury and Cromer in the north though!

Yorkshire seems to be about halfway up on the map, so Yorkshire and Humberside and Lancashire should be 'The Midlands'.

One of my favourite road signs is where the A62 crosses the A1: exit here for
"The North
The South"
Yorkshire is about two thirds of the way up if you remember that Cornwall is a place in England too!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
This is a reasonable take - but the rest of the West Midlands (Sutton Coldfield, Dudley, Sandwell, Wolverhampton, etc) is in the North rather than no-man's land

Sorry but those places are not in the north. Not by a long way.

Oh and the Midlands don't exist. Only north and south. Anyone in the "midlands" is, in fact, southern.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Watford Gap, not Watford itself.
Nope, Watford.

The phrase pre-dates the building of the M1. I think it was when Watford was the northern extent of the Bakerloo Line. However, in the last couple of decades people have tended to quote Watford Gap instead of Watford.

hst43102

If you include the West Mids (excluding Birmingham) and Corby in the "north", surely the definition is quite clear?

North = rather grim industrial places, hills and sheep
South = absolutely everything else

Established Member
If you include the West Mids (excluding Birmingham) and Corby in the "north", surely the definition is quite clear?

So Solihull is up North yet Birmingham is down South? I get what you're implying, but just a slight Geographical flaw with your theory...

DarloRich

Veteran Member

These places may " feel" northern if you are southern but, until I am blue in the face, these places are not northern. They are in the south. I wish the north east was a run down and as struggling as Corby!

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
That part of the definition effectively makes the majority of the folk from Herefordshire, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire and Sussex and a few other adjacent counties as honorary Northerners! :lol:

And areas with rather grim industrial places certainly doesn't exclude the South!

Established Member
That part of the definition effectively makes the majority of the folk from Herefordshire, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire and Sussex and a few other adjacent counties as honorary Northerners! :lol:
And for that matter, most of Wales and Scotland!

hst43102

Sorry for setting off a bomb with that very tongue-in-cheek comment!

Corby is a strange exception - certainly feels northern but also partly Scottish due to all the steel workers from Clydeside.
Also worth noting that my phrase "grim industrial places" should probably include much of Thameside and even parts of the south coast.

I think my proper definition of Northern would be a line from Chester - Stoke - Chesterfield - the Wash, and the south being Hereford - Leamington - Northampton - Cambridge - the Wash. Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the Midlands and both of those.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sorry for setting off a bomb with that very tongue-in-cheek comment!

Corby is a strange exception - certainly feels northern but also partly Scottish due to all the steel workers from Clydeside.
Also worth noting that my phrase "grim industrial places" should probably include much of Thameside and even parts of the south coast.

I think my proper definition of Northern would be a line from Chester - Stoke - Chesterfield - the Wash, and the south being Hereford - Leamington - Northampton - Cambridge - the Wash. Obviously there is a lot of overlap between the Midlands and both of those.

Not one of those places listed is in the north. I am getting bored of saying this............................

I would take north of Doncaster/Sheffield as a starting point with the real north being the area between the Tees and the Tweed.

PS my view is the correct one. I am northern. I decide where the north starts. Only the north east is the true north.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
PS my view is the correct one. I am northern. I decide where the north starts. Only the north east is the true north.
Nah. Agree to disagree on that.

The North East outpost of England (beyond Scotch Corner) is self-evidently the "Far North". 8-)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Having been closely associated with Corby over the past 25 years, it has almost entirely lost its one-time northern feel. Whereas 25 years ago Scottish accents were quite common they have progressively died out. There are still odd blasts from the past. Support for the Scottish football team in The Grampian pub recently being a topical example. And the smell of blast furnace slag still comes out of the ground in some parts of the town when it rains.

But with the population growing at around 1,000 per year, mainly incomers to the vast new housing estates, and practical obliteration and remediation of many odd the old ironstone quarries it just doesn't feel the same.

(I am well aware that many towns further north would love to see the same kind of recovery and regeneration.)

birchesgreen

Established Member
I always feel when you head down the Chiltern Main Line and go through that tunnel between Leamington and Banbury you are entering "The South".

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Watford Gap, not Watford itself.

The Watford Gap is at Watford. (Watford, Northants).

I might have answered this in the previous thread on the subject, but I tested this on a few people and managed to produce a clear dividing line. This runs from the Welsh border at Threapwood near Malpas, to North Somercotes. Everywhere north of the line is north, everywhere south is south.

eastdyke

Established Member
Definitely Wisbech. Where else can you stand on North Brink and look at the South Brink on the other side of a River (in this case the Nene)?

Bevan Price

Established Member
No easy answers, and there needs to be more than just "North" or "South".
I would regard North England as roughly everywhere North of a line from the Mersey/Dee to the Humber, i.e. Liverpool / Chester to Hull, up to the Scottish Border. Parts of Cheshire & Derbyshire would also be included.
Midlands would then be everything down to (roughly) a line from Hereford to Rugby & Peterborough.
South would be everything further south, although there could be some sub-divisions:
"London Commuterland": roughly bounded by Northampton - Bedford - Cambridge - Colchester - Southend - Maidstone - Brighton - Basingstoke - Oxford.
"South West" - everywhere west & south of Southampton to Swindon & Bristol.
"East Anglia" - Cambs., Norfolk, Suffolk & most of Essex.

hst43102

I might have answered this in the previous thread on the subject, but I tested this on a few people and managed to produce a clear dividing line. This runs from the Welsh border at Threapwood near Malpas, to North Somercotes. Everywhere north of the line is north, everywhere south is south.
Definitely the most precise measurement so far on this thread, but I have a few issues with it :

- Stoke on Trent is in the south
- Chesterfield can't make its mind up
- Mansfield, Bolsover, Shirebrook - the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire coal towns are in the south, whereas historically they are linked much more to South Yorks

I think, rather than a straight line (blue), my amended version of this would look something like the red line here:

northsouth.png

nlogax

Established Member

To me that seems the closest to reality, but I think the only thing this thread has proven is that everyone's has a different perspective of where these 'regions' start ;) Trying to neatly divide the country with straight lines is always going to be difficult when county borders and population distribution are what they are.

Anyone that considered Watford (the Herts one) to be where the South stopped must have suffered from proper geographical myopia..

Status
Not open for further replies.