• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 250 42.3%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 339 57.4%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 309 52.3%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 423 71.6%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 267 45.2%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 306 51.8%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 185 31.3%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.5%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 204 34.5%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 99 16.8%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 253 42.8%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 151 25.5%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 175 29.6%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 137 23.2%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 24.9%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 428 72.4%

• Total voters
Plenty abroad, including San Francisco (both systems), all the Kusttram in Belgium and Milan, Turin and Rome. A full list would require a good deal of thought.

OK, let’s think.

USA; San Francisco (Muni and cable-cars)
Germany; Berlin, Braunschweig, Munich, Wurzburg, Cologne, Karlsruhe
Switzerland; Zurich, Geneva, Berne
Italy, Rome, Turin, Milan
Austria; Vienna
France; Paris (1, 2 and 3a/b), Lyon
Belgium; Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent, Kusttram
Netherlands; Amsterdam, The Hague

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frothy_B

I've only recently found an enthusiasm for all things rail, and whilst I've liked looking at trams/trains in action, I've never been a fan of actually getting on them, or any other public transport. When I find myself in a city for work, I tend to walk everywhere. As a result, there are some places I now really regret not catching trams when I had the chance, Chisinau and Sarajevo being the two I won't likely get to go to again.

That said, I have been on trams in Budapest, Frankfurt, Lisbon, Rome, Prague and I hope to do a bit of spotting and tram riding in Istanbul soon.

As for the UK, I'm sure I've used a Sheffield Supertram and I think I've been on one in Nottingham aswell.

daodao

Established Member
As a result, there are some places I now really regret not catching trams when I had the chance, Chisinau and Sarajevo being the two I won't likely get to go to again.

It is a long time (May 1961) since trams passed through the streets of Chisinau. It does have an extensive trolleybus network.

Pakenhamtrain

There was definetely extra 75s for the Big bash Stars v Gades at MCG in 2017 actually may have been 2018 New Years day? The Extra for Marvel was in Feb 2014 for a NAB challenge AFL preseason game i'll see if i can dig out my old HTC one with the pic of the Extra to Marvel i did get a photo of it (i just went to drink at Marvel as it was a free ticket) I've actually never seen extra 30's but i have seen the mentioned 86 Extras
Towards the G there are extra 75a's because they use the Wellington Street shunt. None from memory go towards Marvel.

Generally if there's something on at Marvel Stadium there will be 30a and 86a. At the G there will be 70a and 75a.

U-Bahnfreund

One that isn't on the list: Bielefeld. I lived there as a teenager and used the trams to get from my house to the city centre. It was brilliant and I miss living somewhere with trams.

Bielefeld is quite unique in having a full-fat Stadtbahn system that is narrow gauge. The tracks are 1 metre.

I'm a fan of the sheer amount of light rail in German cities. They really kept and modernised their tram systems rather than scrapping them like we did. They had a great formula in the 70s and 80s - keep the outer tram sections, move the city centre sections from street level into tunnels, and you've got a system with increased capacity and fewer delays that you can call a Stadtbahn (town railway) instead of Strassenbahn (street railway).

Even cities the size of Aberdeen or Preston would have 3 or 4 tram lines in Germany.
I wouldn't be too easy on Germany. Yes, there are a lot of systems, but a lot also closed. Big cities like Hamburg, West Berlin, Wuppertal, Aachen, Münster, Wiesbaden, Kiel and many more smaller at all don't have any trams. Loads of cities also closed large parts of their systems. It really depended a lot on local politicians if they decided to keep trams or remove them. Even today, cities like Mülheim an der Ruhr are still closing tram lines every couple of years :(

JGurney

UK cliff: Saltburn, Scarborough (all of), Hastings (both), Boscombe, Lynton, Aberystwyth.

Overseas, not in list:

Atterseebahn
Bratislava
Budapest
'Budapest Cog-wheel Railway'
Dusseldorf
Gmuden
Munich
Rome
Vienna
Vorchdorferbahn

D6975

Established Member
I've done 10 on the original list.
Cliff tramways,
Scarborough x3 - never did the very short North bay one.
Bournemouth
Bridgnorth
Shipley Glen

Saltburn was on the to-do list of my planned NE rover of 2020, but Boris wouldn't let me go. <(
Babbacombe will hopefully be done this Summer.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Scarborough x3 - never did the very short North bay one.

Saltburn was on the to-do list of my planned NE rover of 2020, but Boris wouldn't let me go. <(
Babbacombe will hopefully be done this Summer.
I went to Saltburn on a 25th birthday trip, the trams are water powered rather than just electric and counterweights, as a result I would suggest going after the Winter, as they can be stopped by frozen water.
Only 2 left in Scarborough now, Saint Nick's has gone.
Best of luck for Babbacombe. :)

eoff

Hi everyone.
Just wondering which tramways, existing and lost, at home and abroad, you have used.
Trams are wonderful in my opinion, and sharing knowledge about any trip on any tramway would be interesting.
The Basel tram system has one very good attribute, it is free if you are a visitor staying in a hotel, including the transfer to/from the airport.

K.o.R

UK: Manchester, Croydon, Nottingham and the Wirral, which we stumbled upon on the way to the ferry in Birkenhead. Got off Merseyrail at Birkenhead Central and noticed the tram warnings and overhead wires as we walked down the hill. Thinking, "Does Liverpool have trams...?" just as a lovely old double-decker tram chugs past in front of us.

"Not on the list": Many in Brussels. I could spend days on that system :D

67thave

My experiences are different than most, as I've never been to the UK (though that will hopefully change within the next year).
That being said, I've used the following:
Canada: Toronto
USA: Boston (Green Line and Ashmont-Mattapan), Jersey City, Newark, Philadelphia (Subway-Surface and suburban), DC, St. Louis, Minneapolis
Netherlands: Amsterdam
France: Strasbourg
Germany: Stuttgart

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
In the last five years (I can't remember many before that as I'd have been two young)

London Tramlink; Blackpool tramway; Manchester Metrolink; Nottingham Express Transit; Sheffield Supertram inc. TramTrain; Edinburgh Trams; West Midlands Metro plus those in:

Barcelona, Milan, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Stockholm, Gothenburg, Bucharest, Athens, Oslo, Zürich, Geneva... probably some more that I fail to remember.

Acfb

I haven't used that many trams in Britain - only Edinburgh and Manchester.

I've used trams a lot in Rome, predominantly the 8 route to/from Trastevere station.

I've used trams in Munich, Vienna and Zurich and am also familiar with the U Bahn systems in Frankfurt and Stuttgart although they are not technically trams.

I have also used the C-train in Calgary.

I have also used trams in Hiroshima, Okayama, Kumamoto and Nagasaki plus the Keifuku Randen tram line in Kyoto. They have really crowded one car trams in Nagasaki!

Last edited:

eoff

I had forgotten about the Boston Green Line which I have used many times. It must be quite unusual in having underground, street and elevated sections.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I had forgotten about the Boston Green Line which I have used many times. It must be quite unusual in having underground, street and elevated sections.
I heard that new el-train sections of the Green Line are still under construction.

AJM580

UK tramways ridden

Manchester
Blackpool
Nottingham
Croydon
Great Orme
Dublin

Museums
Crich
Beamish
East Anglian Transport Museum

Others
San Franscisco (Street Cars & Cable Cars)

Lukeo2311

Not on the list but I have used the following:
  • Canberra (I was on the first one to leave Canberrra City centre on opening day!)
  • Sydney - I have done all of the L1 line (Dulwich Hill) but I still need to ride the other 2 one day
  • Melbourne
  • Adelaide
  • Gold Coast QLD - done the current line from both terminal stations
  • Frankfurt (1 line only as far as Frankfurt Hbf from the terminus)
  • Amsterdam (upcoming trip in the coming months)

QJ

Overseas - Melbourne, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston (Mattapan and Green line), New Orleans.

Europe (not UK) - Dublin, Belgian Coast, Brussels, Ghent, Charleroi, Amsterdam, Munich, Frankfurt am Main, Stuttgart, Freiburg am Breisgau, Saarbruecken, Nordhausen, Rostock, Gothenburg, Stockholm, Linz, Graz, Vienna, Innsbruck, Budapest, Debrecen, Miskolc, Ljubljana, Zagreb, Rome, Milan. Basel, Zurich, Geneva, Lisbon, Porto, Sarajevo.

UK - Croydon, Nottingham, West Midlands, Edinburgh, Blackpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Crich Tramway Museum, Heaton Park, Seaton.

Other - Douglas Horse Tramway, MER, SMR

I am not old enough to have ridden any historic UK or overseas networks. However, I have ridden the now close Seattle Waterfront Streetcar that used Melbourne W2 trams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Con

I used to be a daily user of the Dublin trams, and use Edinburgh and Croydon whenever I’m there. In Europe I’ve used the trams in Brussels, with honourable mention to the Teruven tram, and did the western bit of the Periphique Tram in Paris when I was last there.

03_179

Established Member
Croydon Tramlink
Vienna
San Diego

Aiming to do (one day):
Manchester
Edinburgh
Birmingham

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can't compete with some of the extensive European systems, but I don't think the Thüringer Waldbahn has been mentioned - Gotha to Bad Tabarz.
I used it from Gotha to reach my hotel in DDR days (and for rambling round the Thuringian hllls), and it's still going.
Also:
Milan, Warsaw, Lviv, Kyiv, Graz, Trieste #2 (Villa Opicina), Zagreb, Krakow, Prague, Budapest, Dresden, Vienna, Munich, Montpellier, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, Bilbao, Innsbruck, Dublin, Zurich, Basel.
Sydney, Melbourne, San Francisco

Sometimes, the distinction between tram, light rail and metro is blurred.
The Americans also call cable cars "aerial trams" - so the one at Jackson Hole might count.
I think I've covered all the routes of the UK's modern tram systems, the last being the Trafford Park extension of Metrolink.
The next will be the Edgbaston extension of the WM system

Last edited:

Winthorpe

UK: Manchester, Edinburgh, West Midlands, Sheffield

Europe: Toulouse, Paris, Bordeaux, Brussels, Porto, Lisbon

Last edited:

Silver Cobra

So far I've only used the Blackpool Tramway, Croydon Tramlink and the DLR. However this Saturday I'll be using the Manchester Metrolink for the first time when I visit Manchester to travel onward to Bury.