• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people not move down carriages to make more space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ant158

The issue isn't so much passengers all occupying one carriage when others are emptier, but rather them all clustering around the doors when there is room to move down the aisles, even when more passengers are visibly trying to board. What don't they just move down?
I often see this on Northern, especially on Sprinters. Part of the problem seems to be that there is often no suitable grab rails etc apart from those on the seats or the overhead luggage racks. Have seen people loose their balance many times with nowhere to hang on to.

Another issue is that on many busy services Northern guards just stay in the back cab and don’t encourage people to move down the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
This is where the class 700 really scores. The wide aisles mean that it is nearly always possible to move along the train, and the passenger information system indicates which cars are less heavily loaded, so moving through the train is an informed choice not a speculative decision.

That I agree with. The busiest section that the 700s work is from St Pancras to St Albans (I believe), and it is here that the regulars seem to optimise the available space. There's also a fair number of 'walk through' passengers when the trains approach St Albans, - the 'rear first class'ers' and others who reaslise that at STP, the alternating stream of 12-car and 8-car trains mean that those less familiar with the service, tend to avoid waiting where the rearmost two cars of 12 would stop for fear of an 8-car overshooting them.

I have to stick up for GN commuters here, I don't think that they are any more unpleasant than anywhere else.
I was replying to @bramling who says he prefers non-walkthrough designs on grounds of privacy and noise. My experience of 700s north of the core is almost exclusively on the MML, which doesn't seem to have as many problems as the GN routes and certainly doesn't negate the benefits of the walk-through design. The design of the 700s also gives a fairly quiet ride.

Taunton

Established Member
JLE is the same, especially with Stratford being a major traffic generator and the entrance being at the end.
The JLE has a particular problem that, starting from Stratford, the first three stations all have their platform entrances at the north end. Underground designers a century ago were pretty good at varying entrance points to overcome this, but in the era when expensive architectural practices are more concerned with winning design awards than delivering something operationally practical, that sort of thing has been lost.

Exacerbated at Stratford, the major boarding point, by no indication being given about departure until the "peep-peep, stand away" door alert, so once having missed a train because of this while walking alongside it to the less crowded cars, everyone jumps into the first one.

This is where the class 700 really scores. The wide aisles mean that it is nearly always possible to move along the train, and the passenger information system indicates which cars are less heavily loaded, so moving through the train is an informed choice not a speculative decision.
Same approach on the Elizabeth. It just doesn't work because the same floorspace that is meant to accommodate several hundred people standing is the floorspace separately described to allow moving along the train - but you can't because of all the standees. When there is clear space to do so is just when you don't need to because there are seats available.

AM9

Veteran Member
The JLE has a particular problem that, starting from Stratford, the first three stations all have their platform entrances at the north end. Underground designers a century ago were pretty good at varying entrance points to overcome this, but in the era when expensive architectural practices are more concerned with winning design awards than delivering something operationally practical, that sort of thing has been lost.

Exacerbated at Stratford, the major boarding point, by no indication being given about departure until the "peep-peep, stand away" door alert, so once having missed a train because of this while walking alongside it to the less crowded cars, everyone jumps into the first one.

Same approach on the Elizabeth. It just doesn't work because the same floorspace that is meant to accommodate several hundred people standing is the floorspace separately described to allow moving along the train - but you can't because of all the standees. When there is clear space to do so is just when you don't need to because there are seats available.
Although the Jubilee line is likely to be one of the last to receive new trains, the JLE would really benefit from the walk-through design of the NTFL. I would however challenge the assertion that the practicality of design at Stratford has suffered because the designers were more concerned with "winning design awards". Shoehorning a tube terminus into Stratford (without burying the line from Stratford Market) leaves little choice other than than what has actually been done.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

And it doesn’t really work on the S stock either, as people in the longitudinal seats have a habit of stretching their legs out. In that sense transverse seating actually seems to work better, though as no S stock has true transverse seating we’ve never actually got to see this in practice.

Although the Jubilee line is likely to be one of the last to receive new trains, the JLE would really benefit from the walk-through design of the NTFL.

You could probably get much of the same benefit simply from altering the passenger flows at Stratford. I remain unconvinced that walk-through actually makes that much of a difference. Especially on a Tube-sized train the moment legs and belongings start to block the aisle you end up only with the more determined types walking through, who probably would have found a way to get to their desired car anyway.

route101

Established Member
On the Edinburgh to Glasgow Express services (eight carriages) it's can be common to depart with the rear coach full & standing but with empty tables of four in the front. One passenger told me it was too far to go just to get a seat - even though she would have had to have walked past it to exit the station at the other end.

If the service leaves from a non buffer end platform then wherever the stairs lead to will be the busiest carriage.

Most passengers generally remain in the carriage that they board - regardless of how busy it is, or becomes.
From Glasgow Queen St and if the service calls at Croy, the front of the train will gain many passengers at peak as at Croy passengers will often wait near the roadbridge.

AM9

Veteran Member
You could probably get much of the same benefit simply from altering the passenger flows at Stratford. I remain unconvinced that walk-through actually makes that much of a difference. Especially on a Tube-sized train the moment legs and belongings start to block the aisle you end up only with the more determined types walking through, who probably would have found a way to get to their desired car anyway.
That may be true in general terms but the problem at the eastern end of the Jubilee line is that the fiirst three stations all access trains from their northern ends. As the exits along the line are reasonably distributed along the length of trains of the JLE, (North Woolwich and Canary Wharf each have good distributed access using mezzanine floors), those passengers boarding at Stratford and Canning Town can walk through as the train fills rather than jumping into the first door for fear of them closing and leaving them on the platform.

Adrian1980uk

It much depends on the journey time as well, on the tube the journey isn't usually that long for most people so why bother but Avanti is of a different nature where the journey is measured in hours rather than minutes.

Euston I've always found to poor at passenger management anyway compared with somewhere like Liverpool Street or Waterloo. It also depends on the design of the train as well, the Stadlers are quite open and easy to walk through - more commuter style stock, where I find the pendolinos are quite enclosed and not really designed to encourage people to walk along and see along.

Obviously since the pandemic no one is using trains so this isn't a problem - the minister said so, so it has been my imagination that the GEML trains are full when I'm on them!!

TUC

Established Member
I often see this on Northern, especially on Sprinters. Part of the problem seems to be that there is often no suitable grab rails etc apart from those on the seats or the overhead luggage racks. Have seen people loose their balance many times with nowhere to hang on to.
I don't think it's that given that, unless someone is right next to a pole, those in the doorways don't have anything to hang onto either. The handle spaces on the seats are perfectly fine for holding onto. The real reason seems to be simply laziness and being inconsiderate.

FuzzyDuck

When getting on a train at Waterloo for my usual destination (Basingstoke), I always try to sit in the last carriage as this stops close to the steps down to the underpass.

al78

Established Member
The handle spaces on the seats are perfectly fine for holding onto. The real reason seems to be simply laziness and being inconsiderate.
No, they are barely adequate and only if you don't have balance issues. It is far more secure to wrap your fingers around a pole than trying to clasp a solid object. With some trains feeling like being in a moderate to strong earthquake when standing I have to be tactical with my stance when holding onto one of those seat handholds so I can resist the shaking. There is often more to get hold of around the doorways.

bramling

Veteran Member
I don't think it's that given that, unless someone is right next to a pole, those in the doorways don't have anything to hang onto either. The handle spaces on the seats are perfectly fine for holding onto. The real reason seems to be simply laziness and being inconsiderate.

I suspect in a lot of cases it’s because people simply don’t think at all. In the same way people will stop immediately after stepping off an escalator or directly in front of a ticket gate whilst they search for their ticket. No thinking, and certainly no forward planning.

However it is probably fair to say that the quality of grab holds across trains is very variable.

AM9

Veteran Member
I suspect in a lot of cases it’s because people simply don’t think at all. In the same way people will stop immediately after stepping off an escalator or directly in front of a ticket gate whilst they search for their ticket. No thinking, and certainly no forward planning.

However it is probably fair to say that the quality of grab holds across trains is very variable.
The hip level stubs as fitted to 80x and 345s are pretty useless for holding onto, whereas, the dual grip handles on the Desiro Citys and Electrostars are a lot more effective, especially considering that two different passengers can use one handle at the same time.

BingMan

People are very weird when it comes to being in the right place for their destination. On the GN out of King’s Cross, Hitchin is the worst for it. People start heading for the doors up to 10 minutes before arrival. I can, kind of, get this if it means a quicker exit from the car park, but I don’t believe this is the case for most people.
The announcement that "We will shortly be arriving at Blemkinshaw station" is often made ten minutes before you arrive at the station

uglymonkey

Terrified there will be to many people between them and the door , come their stop and said people wont let them out in time before door shuts

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Try travelling on a 2x5 car set! Front set usually has about 7 people in it!

Yes and then I regular query whether "full and standing" comments that some make are exactly as they are. No doubt they are many occasions where it is indeed the case and the demand is way over-capacity but it is bewildering sometimes to see a crush loaded carriage and seats available further down the train. Particularly true at London terminals.

The Elizabeth line which even has walk through carriages struggles with this in the core section as most exits are at the extreme rear and front of the train so there's often bunching there. The Jubilee line at Stratford as many have mentioned is the same, even though it must be 30-45 seconds to walk down and get a seat. Humans are strange beasts, and I imagine there's some "group behaviour" going on too.

Jimini

Established Member
Always the second train at Stratford and walk down to the front -- especially since they 'mothballed' platform 15 a couple of years ago so it's all cross-platform on P13/14.

They're every two minutes for most of the day -- not exactly a deal breaker!

Like a seat and a bit of peace and quiet, me, at least until West Ham :D

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
The London Underground also has this issue.

Carriages at the end of the train tend to be noticeably quieter than those in the centre.
Although on the Bakerloo line, if heading towards Harrow & Wealdstone, the end carriage is often the most crowded. I think passengers changing off the Jubilee at Baker Street walk through the connecting passage and are adjacent to the tail-end of the train. Convenient also for the staircases at Queens Park and Willesden Junction if you’re in the rear carriage.

For regular journeys people will sometimes work out which carriage they need to be in so that they are near the stairs/platform exit when they disembark so that they can make a quick a getaway and avoid being caught up in the crowd or having to walk half the length of the platform before exiting the station.
When you know about the ‘optimum carriage behaviour’, it can be useful in getting a seat when trying to board a busy service.
I often avoid walking to the front of platform 13 at Clapham Junction when wanting a seat on trains heading to Haywards Heath or beyond.
A surprisingly large number of people leave those trains from the carriages that stop by the staircase to the passageway. I guess they change at Clapham for trains out of Waterloo that call there?

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
One time I got out at Ince to run from one 150 to the other.
I wonder if I confused the guard, but it was worth it.
I don't remember if I got a seat in the back unit, but the back unit is always quieter than the front unit East out of Wallgate, which is odd since every stop except Ince, Hag Fold and Moorside between it and Manc are all exit at the back of the station, so few people seem to have the commuter mindset some on here do, although almost none of the stations on this line have barriers for people to get stuck waiting at.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
The handle spaces on the seats are perfectly fine for holding onto.
I once leant forward to grasp a handle on top of a chair, and caught hold of a woman's hair which had become draped around the handle (it was tied up in a loose knot and flowed downwards). I immediately let go and apologised, but it gave her a right shock. Since then, I look carefully at the handle to avoid doing the same thing again.

BeijingDave

One time I got out at Ince to run from one 150 to the other.
I wonder if I confused the guard, but it was worth it.
I don't remember if I got a seat in the back unit, but the back unit is always quieter than the front unit East out of Wallgate, which is odd since every stop except Ince, Hag Fold and Moorside between it and Manc are all exit at the back of the station, so few people seem to have the commuter mindset some on here do, although almost none of the stations on this line have barriers for people to get stuck waiting at.
I have done that many times on the tube. Left a jam-packed carriage and sprinted down the platform to hop into a less crowded one.

I am sure they have seen it plenty of times. I have seen other people do it too.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thanks to RTT I can check the formation before it arrives. It's when I forget to check, or someone makes an error, that it goes a bit awry.

In the days of regular 8/9-car sets on the 0811, the reserved half is the front set; the mostly unreserved half is the rear. I jumped on the penultimate car as usual, only to realise it was all reserved. As it was running late I had to hang around in the vestibule for the 15-minute run to Westgate, then I sprinted down the platform to the unreserved half... which was about one-tenth full. Last week was 8-car sets again (it's been mostly 4s or 5s since May), which has been bliss 8-)

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Thanks to RTT I can check the formation before it arrives. It's when I forget to check, or someone makes an error, that it goes a bit awry.
Yes it's annoying sometimes when the info is wrong.
Although for me all that means is just that the 150/156 are the other way round and I have to walk a whole 5 metres to next to where the other doors will be (or the numbers of the 150s are the wrong way round and I have to change the way round the numbers are on my colournote (notepad app)

johntea

Established Member

Another issue is that on many busy services Northern guards just stay in the back cab and don’t encourage people to move down the train.

The 3+2 seating on certain units doesn't help, especially since many passengers seem allergic in sitting next to other passengers (even before Covid was ever a thing!) so the middle seat in the set of 3 often just carries fresh air or someones bag even on peak time services!

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 3+2 seating on certain units doesn't help, especially since many passengers seem allergic in sitting next to other passengers (even before Covid was ever a thing!) so the middle seat in the set of 3 often just carries fresh air or someones bag even on peak time services!
Well on the packed train to Woking, every seat in the packed carriages was taken.

I tend to find that happens if you need to squeeze on.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
This is a good question. My only thought is that most people don't actually use critical thinking when it comes to taking the train. I have had a number of conversations with people who would rather take one long journey, rather than shorten in it with a change or two, because they find changing trains stressful and overcomplicated. So I don't think it would occur to people that the train with be lightly loaded the further to the front you go; they just see carriages close to them and get on and accept its full.

BeijingDave

This is a good question. My only thought is that most people don't actually use critical thinking when it comes to taking the train. I have had a number of conversations with people who would rather take one long journey, rather than shorten in it with a change or two, because they find changing trains stressful and overcomplicated. So I don't think it would occur to people that the train with be lightly loaded the further to the front you go; they just see carriages close to them and get on and accept its full.
Having luggage is a valid, rational reason for choosing a longer unbroken journey over a shorter one with changes.

An economist would likely say the cost of struggling with bags changing platforms is greater than the benefits of, say, a 30 minute shorter journey time.

Towers

Established Member
In fairness, a bay of six facing seats is very cosy indeed if all are taken, I strongly suspect the vast majority of people would find it uncomfortable both in terms of physical space and the degree of forced intimacy with fellow passengers!

Phil R

You often hear the train manager announce that there are plenty of seats available in coaches xxx and still people are happy standing.
As others have said, it so often gets few if any takers, people stand where they land. Suits me, I'm happy in my country (end) club, well worth paying for the P&Q with a little extra walking at each end of the journey.

A variation I have noticed of late and now I can't un-notice is passenger behaviour in uneven filling of trains. Thinking 444s, I usually seek to take a bay of 4 table (4 of which in the country club), primarily for laptop purposes. The number of times in lightly loaded coaches what I call a parrot turns up - sitting in the airline seat immediately behind the bay of 4 in direction of travel - is far higher than random average. I don't know what is so attractive about those seats? It can be quite unsettling, particularly if your parrot is a furious laptop basher as happened to me a while back, my seat didst unduly move it did. Most surreal experience was some weeks ago, 8 of us in the coach... three of the bays of 4 were single occupied but we had four parrots between us! Maybe they wanted to simulate being in the London end coach where the punters were sat on each others laps and faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.