• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wimbledon 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
...and Djokovic strolls into the 3rd round, barely raising a sweat.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Maybe we should have a sweepstake on the next big name to lose a match they should win :lol:

After Serena Williams yesterday you may have a point. A shame about Laura Robson as well :cry:

At least Murray got through :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well done Murray beating Verdasco after going two sets behind....now for the "Big Polack" in the semi-final :p

Chapeltom

Established Member
Janowicz v Djokovic final in my view, even if I am supporting Murray, I had a dream a couple of days ago telling me that. The semis could go either way, Del Potro played some fantastic tennis even after a fall in the first game of the match. Djokovic was broken twice by Berdych and Del Potro is great on serve.

As for Murray, another big man in the form of Janowicz, another huge server. Anything could happen Friday and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Del Potro v Janowicz final.

Butts

Veteran Member
Fantastic first Mens Semi-Final between Djokovic and Del Potro - let's hope Murray and Janowicz can live up to that - With Murray winning :p

HST Power

Established Member
It's been a great game so far, but I'm going to use my Polish ancestry as a good excuse to cheer for Janowicz!

David

Established Member
It's been a great game so far, but I'm going to use my Polish ancestry as a good excuse to cheer for Janowicz!

As much as the Pole inside me wants Janowicz to win, after watching the 3rd set, I can't see it happening ....

familyguy99

I'm don't big fan of Andy Murray but well played to him, Janowicz ask for roof to be closed (WHY:o) and got he wish then didn't even bother show up in four set, I just hoping that Djokovic can now beat Murray in final on Sunday.

FOURTH consecutive Grand Slam final for Andy Murray too, how many tennis players can say that?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
If the Bryan Brothers win their Men's Doubles Final tomorrow they will hold all four slams and Olympic Gold simultaneously. Not a bad effort.

I can understand why Murray was frustrated at the decision to close the roof but he really does come over as a whiny little so and so at times. And before anyone says 'It's just the passion', it really wasn't. Toys out of the pram again.

Liam

Established Member
If the Bryan Brothers win their Men's Doubles Final tomorrow they will hold all four slams and Olympic Gold simultaneously. Not a bad effort.

I can understand why Murray was frustrated at the decision to close the roof but he really does come over as a whiny little so and so at times. And before anyone says 'It's just the passion', it really wasn't. Toys out of the pram again.

It's so unfair! :lol:

Eagle

Established Member

Would be the first doubles players to ever do that. And second players of any type after Steffi Graf (Aus 1988 to US 1988).

David

Established Member

He may have had a whinge, but he did have a point. Janowicz had been going on to the umpire for a while to get the roof closed before getting his way at the end of the 3rd set. But I think all the complaining and campaigning to get the roof closed distracted him badly from the match. I'm not saying he would have won, but from half way through the 3rd set (when he was 4-1 up), but after that, he didn't play anywhere near as well as he had been doing.

Ivo

Established Member
FOURTH consecutive Grand Slam final for Andy Murray too, how many tennis players can say that?

No it isn't, he didn't make the final at the French Open.

He has made nine of the last eleven Grand Slam semifinals though. (Ten from twelve if the Olympics count.)

The statistic should say "fourth consecutive Final in a Slam he has entered". That is some statistic and one for anyone who says he is clearly behind Federer/Nadal/Djokovic to think about, especially considering he won two of the big five events last year.

And speaking of the Olympics, Murray v Djokovic on grass has only happened once, and that was the Olympic semi. And we all know what happened there (or at least, in the Final, which shows who won the Semi).

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm don't big fan of Andy Murray but well played to him, Janowicz ask for roof to be closed (WHY:o) and got he wish then didn't even bother show up in four set, I just hoping that Djokovic can now beat Murray in final on Sunday.

Are you Serbian ? :roll:

Ivo

Established Member

:lol:

I thought the English are supposed to hate Murray? After all, doesn't he hate us? Oh, hold on a minute, that's about as accurate as saying that this forum's name is frailUK (pun intended).

It would be good for British sport as a whole if Murray did win. We've waited long enough for a Brit to win a senior Wimbo title - even on the women's side it's been over 35 years now - and other aspects of our sports have been slipping as well. We need somethng to reinvigorate (is that even a word?) us...

Butts

Veteran Member
What is the win/loss record of Murray against Djokovic in Grand Slam events?

Not sure about Grand Slams, but overall it's 11-7 to Djokovic.

There only previous meeting on grass was at last years Olympic Semi-Final which Murray won before beating Federer in the Final to take Gold :p

bnm

Established Member
I thought the English are supposed to hate Murray?

He's British when he wins, a Scot when he loses. :p

In jest.

As someone who has an English born mother and Scottish born father I am first and foremost (as it says on my passport) a British citizen. I have little time for little Englanders or Scottish Nationalists. Long live the union! :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
What is the win/loss record of Murray against Djokovic in Grand Slam events?

3-1 in Djokovic's favour. However, all of his wins have been in Melbourne, whereas Murray's win was at Flushing Meadows. The Olympic semi is the only time they have played competitively on grass.

HST Power

Established Member
For the record, I don't buy into all this fuss about whether he's Scottish, or British, or whatever, I just don't like the way he comes across as a person. Maybe that's the fault of the press, but I'll be fine if he wins tomorrow.

But it was no joke yesterday, I wasn't being a Murray hater......believe it or not I am actually of Polish decent! :p

familyguy99

And so they did with four set win against Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo.

Also Marion Bartoli won female finals as she beat Sabine Lisicki 6-1 & 6-4 to win her first Grand Slam title.

^^ Nope and I don't hate Andy Murray because he Scottish, I just hope Djokovic beat him in tomorrow final, maybe beat him in four sets.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Why should that matter? Surely everyone is free to support whoever they wish, regardless of what nation they hail from or who they are playing? My favourite snooker player is Ding Junhui and my favourite tennis player is Andy Roddick, but I'm not Chinese nor American. I'd support them even against British opponents. Does that matter? One of the reasons I'm never drawn into nationality in sport (hence I don't really support any national football team) is because often the pride is distorted by arrogance. Hence any criticism of Murray in tennis or Hamilton in F1 etc is usually hushed even if there's an element of truth in it. The pride becomes too strong and it begins to hurt when someone doesn't agree with you.

Liam

Established Member
Why should that matter? Surely everyone is free to support whoever they wish, regardless of what nation they hail from or who they are playing? My favourite snooker player is Ding Junhui and my favourite tennis player is Andy Roddick, but I'm not Chinese nor American. I'd support them even against British opponents. Does that matter? One of the reasons I'm never drawn into nationality in sport (hence I don't really support any national football team) is because often the pride is distorted by arrogance. Hence any criticism of Murray in tennis or Hamilton in F1 etc is usually hushed even if there's an element of truth in it. The pride becomes too strong and it begins to hurt when someone doesn't agree with you.

If Murray was English or French or German or any other nationality I'd wouldn't really care about him or his results. I find him really annoying, but he's Scottish, so I'll support him all the way. Same with Coulthard, don't like him on the telly, I watch Sky specifically to avoid him and Jordan, but when he was racing I'd support him 100%.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The BBC have now gone into the expected "total over-hype" xenophobic frenzy, with even my Radio 4 radio programmes being subjected to this. I am sure that there are some who will wish defeat upon Murray, even if only just to "prick the BBC euphoric balloon".

I hear that on one day during the week, the national six o'clock TV news was moved from its usual place on BBC1 to BBC2 and the the following local news at 1830 in certain areas was summarily cancelled and an inane cookery programme substituted.

It appears that the BBC edict of "Nanny knows best" is still alive and well in the higher echelons of power in the BBC, despite all the recently stated promises of viewer choice that was promised as part of the new image of the BBC in its "post-Thompson" era....<(<(

Butts

Veteran Member
The BBC have now gone into the expected "total over-hype" xenophobic frenzy, with even my Radio 4 radio programmes being subjected to this. I am sure that there are some who will wish defeat upon Murray, even if only just to "prick the BBC euphoric balloon".

I hear that on one day during the week, the national six o'clock TV news was moved from its usual place on BBC1 to BBC2 and the the following local news at 1830 in certain areas was summarily cancelled and an inane cookery programme substituted.

It appears that the BBC edict of "Nanny knows best" is still alive and well in the higher echelons of power in the BBC, despite all the recently stated promises of viewer choice that was promised as part of the new image of the BBC in its "post-Thompson" era....<(<(

This is what happens when we have not had a male British Champion for 77 Years.

Looking at it from a different angle should Murray win the hoodoo will have gone which bodes well for future years "interruptions" :p

bnm

Established Member
Ye Gods!. A couple times a year that the BBC evening news is moved and it's like the world is ending. There's ITV you know if you must have your news fix between 6-7pm :roll:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I couldn't care less if Murray wins as i hate tennis and think it is a game on a par with golf for stupidity, terrible middle class (but desperate to be upper class) tradition and snobbishness.

It is watched , in the majority, by plummy idiots with to many teeth and no chin. It is pseudo elitist rubbish. The reason we haven't had a British winner at Wimbledon for 9000 years is because tennis is about as accessible as polo to the normal person.

PLEASE dont get me started on those chumps who pay good money to sit in a grotty hill is a crappy park to watch a stupid sport on a big screen while all the while the be-blazered poshos running the " All England Club" are laughing and rubbing their hands together at the stupidity of the plebs! Some of them camp in the street to sit on a bloody grass bank!!!!!!!! Morons.

Murray is a charmless, boring, gormless machine with about as much charisma as a wet lettuce leaf. He speaks in a terribly dull monotone and is about as interesting as the contents of my left nostril.

And @ Ivo WHY would it be good for British sport if he won? Would that make tennis more accessible to the vast majority of people outside of the middle and upper classes - no because they still wont want the chavs, the scum and plebs in their clubs. They might, after all, actually try to win!

I hope they loose their funding and it gets transferred to sports that make an effort to engage the great unwashed.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Ye Gods!. A couple times a year that the BBC evening news is moved and it's like the world is ending. There's ITV you know if you must have your news fix between 6-7pm :roll:

What is the word coming to when the "so-called" major public service broadcaster can alter its scheduling of its landmark 1800 national new programme on its major BBC1 channel for a "sport item". I am sure that the new regime resident at the BBC will express great pleasure at your comment that their viewers should watch ITV for both national and local news. Now that BBC have four channels, does this not offer the opportunity to use the low viewership BBC3 and BBC4 channels for such "so-called emergency" scheduling. I know that transmission of programmes on both these two channels does not commence until 1900, but surely the cutbacks at the BBC does not imply there are no technical and production staff to active either channel earlier than normal.

I note that you have made no mention whatsoever of those regional BBC viewers whose 30-minute local TV news programme was summarily cancelled and replaced with a cookery programme, unless of course, you are somewhat of an aficionado of such culinary programmes and believe that the poor standard of British food preparation and the meals prepared therefrom is in need of viewer indoctrination...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.