• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fidelis

Passengers to and from BHM -WOF-HFD would prefer a four car 196 rather than a two car and if this is to be the reduced capacity on the BHM 17.50 definitely a service to avoid as it is busy especially from University.

newtownmgr

Passengers to and from BHM -WOF-HFD would prefer a four car 196 rather than a two car and if this is to be the reduced capacity on the BHM 17.50 definitely a service to avoid as it is busy especially from University.
It was a 4 car. 2 x 2 = 4. 196006 & 005. Not sure why you thought it was only a 2 car, plenty of photos about showing the service.

Yesterday saw a pair of two car 196s on the morning and evening diagram.
Only on the evening diagram yesterday. The morning was a 170 + 172/2.

GWVillager

Is it still the plan to get the 170s off for the May timetable change? If so, is it the diagram including 1M57 or 1M58 looking like the first one to switch over?

NewClee153

I had 196104 and 196108 today and no problems to report. Both were good journeys today. 104 from Telford Central to Smethwick Galton Bridge and 108 from Birmingham New Street to Telford Central.
I boarded 196104 today (1540 SHR-BHM 1651), I got on at Smethwick Galton Bridge, and I can confirm, it was a great journey

The more I ride these 196s, the more and more I really like them, still can’t believe these are built by CAF

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm hoping for good fortune later this evening with the 196s, I'm on a WMDR today for various little missions first. Ideally I'm aiming for the 2000 from Birmingham New Street, connecting onto GWR back to Hereford.

It was going to be a very serious amount of walking today, but the easterly wind is very strong and bitter so I chose a train day!

196005+196006 working the 2000 Birmingham New Street-Worcester Shrub Hill this evening :D I'm very pleased about that, taking these all the way to Worcester for a quick Tech's Thriller Filler walk before a GWR back to Hereford. Today was very different to the original plan, and same to the revised plan, but it's worked out rather nicely!

Attachments

• 38FD43E9-C46F-49E7-9117-CF51C545A765.jpeg
    38FD43E9-C46F-49E7-9117-CF51C545A765.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 27FE2DEA-2925-411D-84E8-55EA7739AB9E.jpeg
    27FE2DEA-2925-411D-84E8-55EA7739AB9E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
  • 49E58E15-6FE5-47B2-A67F-7D2FEDC779D7.jpeg
    49E58E15-6FE5-47B2-A67F-7D2FEDC779D7.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:

william.martin

On Moderation
I'm hoping for good fortune later this evening with the 196s, I'm on a WMDR today for various little missions first. Ideally I'm aiming for the 2000 from Birmingham New Street, connecting onto GWR back to Hereford.

It was going to be a very serious amount of walking today, but the easterly wind is very strong and bitter so I chose a train day!

196005+196006 working the 2000 Birmingham New Street-Worcester Shrub Hill this evening :D I'm very pleased about that, taking these all the way to Worcester for a quick Tech's Thriller Filler walk before a GWR back to Hereford. Today was very different to the original plan, and same to the revised plan, but it's worked out rather nicely!
Lovely stuff, I know you are on this forum somewhere, however may I thank Mr part time spotter for adding the Worcester diagrams onto his blog. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Lovely stuff, I know you are on this forum somewhere, however may I thank Mr part time spotter for adding the Worcester diagrams onto his blog. :)

I always forget those are on there :) Soon the Hereford services will start going to 196s and I am very much looking forward to that!

Anyone know what pair of 196s worked 5H26? I saw them at Proof House as I went down the ramp on 350267, but too far away to get the numbers. Thanks in advance 8-)

kbizzle

I always forget those are on there :) Soon the Hereford services will start going to 196s and I am very much looking forward to that!

Anyone know what pair of 196s worked 5H26? I saw them at Proof House as I went down the ramp on 350267, but too far away to get the numbers. Thanks in advance 8-)
196001 + 196004

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I have a number of questions about how Chiltern Railways will operate the 196/0 fleet from 2024, which as this is a WMR thread can be found here:

newtownmgr

Will the 4 car 196s ever work the Herefords or just the 2 cars?
The 4 cars are waiting to have door controls fitted in the centre vehicles. Once that happens they will be on the Herefords as well. If one works before fitting the service will not be able to stop at University in the up (towards Birmingham) direction due to the guard not being able to see the full length of the Train due to platform curvature. On all services formed of 4 or 6 cars the guard is supposed to work from the middle, or at least shut the doors from there.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
The 4 cars are waiting to have door controls fitted in the centre vehicles. Once that happens they will be on the Herefords as well. If one works before fitting the service will not be able to stop at University in the up (towards Birmingham) direction due to the guard not being able to see the full length of the Train due to platform curvature. On all services formed of 4 or 6 cars the guard is supposed to work from the middle, or at least shut the doors from there.
Interesting thanks. Is it Driver Open Guard close or full guard? Can't remember which.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
196001 + 196004

Thank you :) I will check my notes now as I think both of those are required for sighting :D

Ah that makes sense. That platform is very curvy after all.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Interesting, I had never considered that but thinking back to when I regularly used Uni station I do recall the guard being in the middle cab of a double set on Cross-City services, so that makes a lot of sense.
Interesting thanks. Is it Driver Open Guard close or full guard? Can't remember which.
Full guard operation as far as I'm aware.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Interesting, I had never considered that but thinking back to when I regularly used Uni station I do recall the guard being in the middle cab of a double set on Cross-City services, so that makes a lot of sense.

Full guard operation as far as I'm aware.
Full control by the guard. Driver only touches the door during unit prep on depot.
Thank you both, I thought it would be but was just checking!

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Interesting thank you :)

william.martin

On Moderation
So is that why we haven't seen 196101 for a while?