• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wordle

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
The board I've mentioned upthread: with the several daily or quasi-daily reporters on their bouts with Wordle; seems to have all the folks, telling of having a hard time with today's word -- I got it, just, in 6 -- several of these bods didn't manage it at all. I hadn't been aware, either, of its having shown up before; but I don't participate every single day.

I rarely have any issue with the choice of answer-word: some people on abovementioned board, quite often find cause to moan about setters' choice of same (this partly coming, I think, from said people's being from assorted parts of the English-speaking world, with variations in the lingo, according); but when the word the other day, was UNZIP -- for some reason, that didn't sit too well with me. There was in the past, the advertising "meme" about "unzip a banana"; but other than that -- does anyone ever actually say "unzip"? They probably do; just, not a usage of mine.

Last edited:

lewesroad

The board I've mentioned upthread: with the several daily or quasi-daily reporters on their bouts with Wordle; seems to have all the folks, telling of having a hard time with today's word -- I got it, just, in 6 -- several of these bods didn't manage it at all. I hadn't been aware, either, of its having shown up before; but I don't participate every single day.

I rarely have any issue with the choice of answer-word: some people on abovementioned board, quite often find cause to moan about setters' choice of same (this partly coming, I think, from said people's being from assorted parts of the English-speaking word, with variations in the lingo, according); but when the word the other day, was UNZIP -- for some reason, that didn't sit too well with me. There was in the past, the advertising "meme" about "unzip a banana"; but other than that -- does anyone ever actually say "unzip"? They probably do; just, not a usage of mine.
I unzip zips on clothes and bags etc so don’t find it unusual.

Got today’s in three but was lucky with my opening word.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Got today’s in three but was lucky with my opening word.
I had a “two” a couple of days ago, started with Ratio and went with Ditto. I’m still trying to decide if that was skill or flook… :D

Calthrop

Established Member

I talk about "undoing", not "unzipping" them. Just a matter of usage, I suppose.

I don''t feel very taken with today (26th)'s word, either -- though got it in four. Maybe I'm getting fussy in my old age.

MotCO

Established Member
I talk about "undoing", not "unzipping" them. Just a matter of usage, I suppose.

I don''t feel very taken with today (26th)'s word, either -- though got it in four. Maybe I'm getting fussy in my old age.

I assume that it may be American-ish rather than English that produces some strange words. I think that HONOR was a word not so long ago.

Gloster

Established Member
I assume that it may be American-ish rather than English that produces some strange words. I think that HONOR was a word not so long ago.

Yes, it does used American spellings and occasionally has used words that are familiar in the US but not in normal use over here. However, a few months ago they used BLOKE, which I have always thought was British/English English.

MotCO

Established Member
(Sounding my own trumpet) I managed to get today's word (27 April) in 2.

londonbridge

Established Member
Yes, seems to be okay now. At one point I’d got up to 93 on the leaderboard but there were a couple of days I forgot to do it and now I’m back down at 590!……

MotCO

Established Member
Spolier alert!!

Having worked out what the first letter was and that there were no vowels, I managed to get it in 4.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Spolier alert!!
Having worked out what the first letter was and that there were no vowels, I managed to get it in 4.
The letter in question is often considered a 6th vowel, according to my daughter.

I suppose once you realise it, there are quite a number of words where it replaces either an E or an I, a couple of good examples of the latter being Myth and Hymn.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not a difficult one to get if you use a strategy of playing two entirely different words containing all the vowels in your first two moves! CRATE and PIOUS will do most of the work for you.

Jimini

Established Member
With only seven minutes to go until the game recycles — I’ll share this. My day has finally come! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1760.png
    IMG_1760.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 45

MotCO

Established Member
With only seven minutes to go until the game recycles — I’ll share this. My day has finally come! :D

You'll have to change your start word if you want to repeat the feat!

Calthrop

Established Member

This having been Tuesday's word; and with our now being well into Wednesday everywhere on the planet -- I take it that I can put the word "in clear", and not ruin the game for anyone.

I totally botched this one -- do the game first thing on getting up, when brain sometimes still a bit foggy from sleep: as was the case here. Commenced with my usual STARE; then, stupidly, wasted a word with THANE -- not realising that first word had yielded a "yellow" R. This got me toward the right groove; but it turned out as an extreme example of what players call a "word lottery" -- *RATE; but what was the " * " ? I put GRATE, CRATE, PRATE, and finally ORATE -- and of course, the correct word had to be IRATE. Discovered, out of interest, that there are also several more *RATE words -- some, mighty obscure.

McRhu

This having been Tuesday's word; and with our now being well into Wednesday everywhere on the planet -- I take it that I can put the word "in clear", and not ruin the game for anyone.

I totally botched this one -- do the game first thing on getting up, when brain sometimes still a bit foggy from sleep: as was the case here. Commenced with my usual STARE; then, stupidly, wasted a word with THANE -- not realising that first word had yielded a "yellow" R. This got me toward the right groove; but it turned out as an extreme example of what players call a "word lottery" -- *RATE; but what was the " * " ? I put GRATE, CRATE, PRATE, and finally ORATE -- and of course, the correct word had to be IRATE. Discovered, out of interest, that there are also several more *RATE words -- some, mighty obscure.
Spookily enough 'STARE' is my starting word too.

Calthrop

Established Member
Spookily enough 'STARE' is my starting word too.

I reckon it a good one (it's used also by my brother / housemate, who is a daily Wordle participant too) -- a couple of the commoner vowels, and several ditto consonants. Regular starting words of other participants whom I know, are -- by pretty much the same token -- AUDIT, and EARNS.

Hassocks5489

My starting word is "LATER", followed by "BISON" if the first guess has none of the letters from "LATER".

I keep a spreadsheet of my scores and of related online word games (I know, I know...! :lol:) and it tells me that I have played 451 games so far, with no solutions in 1, 16 "2"s, 107 "3"s, 170 "4"s, 109 "5"s, 39 "6"s and 10 failures, usually in a "word lottery" situation like Calthrop describes. All in all, I think those stats are quite poor: I really must do better!

Acey

My starting words are IRATE or AUDIO ,yesterday I chose AUDIO :rolleyes: