• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wordle

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
Bit of a glitch in Metrodle, been climbing back up the leaderboard and hovering anywhere between 90 snd 120, yesterday I somehow gained 1000 points and jumped up to position 12, today however they were wiped off and I was back down to 105.

Jimini

Established Member
Bit of a glitch in Metrodle, been climbing back up the leaderboard and hovering anywhere between 90 snd 120, yesterday I somehow gained 1000 points and jumped up to position 12, today however they were wiped off and I was back down to 105.

I might retire from Tuble as well after today :)

Attachments

• IMG_2787.png
    IMG_2787.png
    562.3 KB · Views: 36

londonbridge

Established Member
Metrodle currently on game 508, so five weeks left before it (presumably) rolls over again or they add the Elizabeth line/London Overground/DLR stations in.

Somewhat irritated when I saw I’d fallen 200 places on the leaderboard and then noticed my win streak had reset, I haven’t cleared cookies/cache and I’m 101% sure I didn’t miss a day….

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
"Bumping" the "Wordle" thread: actually over a spelling -- rather than "Wordle-as-such" -- issue; though given rise to by a Wordle situation. It involves the verb / adjective ending in "-ing", concerned with "getting older". I have always very definitely reckoned the word to be spelt "ageing", and always used that spelling. I think I've been aware of the variant "aging", but only dimly. Doing today's Wordle: a "lottery" situation developed early: A*ING. I was flummoxed here -- kept going through the still-available letters, using them to make increasingly outlandish words -- think that I saw, but ruled out, "aging": reasoning, " 'a-ging' (accent on second syllable)? -- there's no way that is a word". A full six words entered, none of them the correct one.

I felt a bit of a fool to find that the answer-word was "aging" -- but, as above: very much not the spelling to which I'm accustomed. I find that the Shorter Oxford Dictionary gives both spellings, favouring neither of them over the other one. Is anyone else anything like "in the same boat" as me, over this one: feeling that this word is, for sure, spelt with the "e" -- the five-letter "no-e" version looks wrong and rather ridiculous? -- or is this just a particular "kink" of mine?

Could it be, I wonder, that the spelling with "e" is more common in Britain; and the one without, more so in America -- to which region Wordle tends nowadays, to be oriented?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The problem with the Wordle app is that it won't allow words that aren't a word. I always think it should allow for this even if to put a few letters in the right place (obviously you forfeit a chance there too)

Hassocks5489

"Bumping" the "Wordle" thread: actually over a spelling -- rather than "Wordle-as-such" -- issue; though given rise to by a Wordle situation. It involves the verb / adjective ending in "-ing", concerned with "getting older". I have always very definitely reckoned the word to be spelt "ageing", and always used that spelling. I think I've been aware of the variant "aging", but only dimly. Doing today's Wordle: a "lottery" situation developed early: A*ING. I was flummoxed here -- kept going through the still-available letters, using them to make increasingly outlandish words -- think that I saw, but ruled out, "aging": reasoning, " 'a-ging' (accent on second syllable)? -- there's no way that is a word". A full six words entered, none of them the correct one.

I felt a bit of a fool to find that the answer-word was "aging" -- but, as above: very much not the spelling to which I'm accustomed. I find that the Shorter Oxford Dictionary gives both spellings, favouring neither of them over the other one. Is anyone else anything like "in the same boat" as me, over this one: feeling that this word is, for sure, spelt with the "e" -- the five-letter "no-e" version looks wrong and rather ridiculous? -- or is this just a particular "kink" of mine?

Could it be, I wonder, that the spelling with "e" is more common in Britain; and the one without, more so in America -- to which region Wordle tends nowadays, to be oriented?
I believe "aging" is the standard US/Canadian English spelling and "ageing" is usually used elsewhere with other varieties of English. I've noticed before that US English spellings are commonly used on Wordle, so I must admit I didn't pay particular attention to it today: when I had A*I** on the fourth turn it just came to me straight away and I put it in without a second thought. (Having noticed the N and G still available and I as the middle letter, I immediately thought of A*ING, and the only other possibility that briefly occurred to me - APING - wasn't available because I had used the "P".)

Crossover

Established Member
I believe "aging" is the standard US/Canadian English spelling and "ageing" is usually used elsewhere with other varieties of English. I've noticed before that US English spellings are commonly used on Wordle, so I must admit I didn't pay particular attention to it today: when I had A*I** on the fourth turn it just came to me straight away and I put it in without a second thought. (Having noticed the N and G still available and I as the middle letter, I immediately thought of A*ING, and the only other possibility that briefly occurred to me - APING - wasn't available because I had used the "P".)
From memory, it was developed by a Canadian, so the spellings fit with this

Gloster

Established Member
Josh Wardle, who developed it has been based over there for some years, but, according to Wikipedia, he was brought up in Llanddewi Rhydderch, near Abergavenny. As it is now owned and overseen by the New York Times it tends to use US spellings, although words more familiar in Britain, such as ‘bloke’, can appear.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks, all, for thoughts. I'd been hoping that -- as per you, @Hassocks5489 -- the "without-e" variant might tend to be American custom, as opposed to "with-e" in other parts of the English-speaking world -- letting me feel a bit less of a fool ! Key role herein of our Welsh / Canadian friend, as told of: favourable, one reckons, for the game being as it seems to be, fairly "inclusive" re the different branches of English. Reckon that I'm usually pretty alert to American spellings; just seem to have had rather a blind spot re "aging".
I landed up in the A*ING "lottery" earlier than you: from word 3 onward. My first shot at it was APING as referred to by you (no incidence of "P" in my first two words). As told of upthread -- I not-very-cleverly ruled out AGING, and my words got progressively weirder: AWING (in flight -- or saying "aw"); ACING (achieving something with "ace" results, as in "acing a test" [Yankee influence in this, and the preceding :E]); AHING (saying "ah") :s ... My brother, who usually does Wordle simultaneously with me, got AGING successfully; via yet another candidate -- AXING (which I think I would render "axeing" -- don't think, though, that I've ever used this adaptation of the verb describing what Beeching notoriously did).

cb a1

Turn 4 I used AXING and scratching my head a bit. Had already eliminated P at an earlier turn. I guessed that there could be a version of ageing without the E knowing that generally American English is used. Was a little worried that I wouldn't make it to a 300 day streak (only a few days away from achieving this).

Calthrop

Established Member
Come to think -- suppose "axing" might be -- as well as about chopping-implements -- an illiterate version of "asking": favoured, I gather, by some of our transatlantic chums.

I'm unscientific about Wordle -- do it most days, some I don't get round to it; and is it correct to assume that a streak ends, if one fails to get the answer-word? -- occasionally I fail thus; or just get fed-up, and "throw" the thing by putting in known-wrong words, so as finally to get told the answer. And its "hard mode" -- to heck with that: I want the opportunity of -- again -- putting in words which I know are wrong, but which in this case might clue me in in the correct direction, to perhaps get the right word in the nick of time.

MotCO

Established Member
Three are several puzzles on the Wordle site - one I like doing is Letter Boxed. Here the reverse is true re spellings - I have tried perfectly good words but they have been rejected by the puzzle. No doubt it doesn't exist in American English.

Last edited:

kristiang85

Established Member

Yes, it annoyed me too. Not least because it ended my 139-day streak. I just couldn't visualise that word.
The problem with the Wordle app is that it won't allow words that aren't a word. I always think it should allow for this even if to put a few letters in the right place (obviously you forfeit a chance there too)

No, this is a good rule, otherwise it would be too easy.

xotGD

Established Member
Three are several puzzles on the Wordle site - one I like doing is Letter Boxed. Here the reverse is true re spellings - I have tried perfectly good words but they have been rejected by the puzzle. No doubt it doesn't exist in American English.
Spelling Bee rejects plenty of British English words. And lots of perfectly good scientific words.

Jimini

Established Member

Quintessential is quite good value as well as a morning challenge.

cb a1

You put me on alert for a tricky word, but I managed to solve in 5 (almost 4, but one letter out)
That's one of the particularly frustrating aspects! I think words where the 3rd and 5th letter are as today can be tricky as there are so many possibilities.

MotCO

Established Member
That's one of the particularly frustrating aspects! I think words where the 3rd and 5th letter are as today can be tricky as there are so many possibilities.
The fifth letter was the last one I got today!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you only knew today‘s 3 and 5 there’s 211 options according to the Chambers “word wizard”. Obviously you can ignore any words that include your wrong guesses, but it’ll still be a lot…

dangie

Established Member
I have absolutely nothing against Wordle, millions worldwide enjoy playing it, but I don't really understand the euphoria when someone gets it in 1-2-3 goes when in reality to get it correct in just a few goes is all down to luck. According to Google there are there are 12,972 words in the Wordle Dictionary. Yes there are some tactics, many always begin with the same word(s), but luck plays a massive part.

DerekC

Established Member
There is some skill involved, apart from just guessing words, once you have got one or two letters. It's about where letters are likely to appear where in English words (for example S is likely to be at the end or beginning) and which letters are often in association (like PR or CH).

oldman

I don't really understand the euphoria
What euphoria? It's a game like many others, some luck, some skill, some mental training. Obviously a long run of success is not just luck. I get an infinitesimal rush (yay!) when I solve it, especially if quickly, then forget it.

Calthrop

Established Member
I have absolutely nothing against Wordle, millions worldwide enjoy playing it, but I don't really understand the euphoria when someone gets it in 1-2-3 goes when in reality to get it correct in just a few goes is all down to luck. According to Google there are there are 12,972 words in the Wordle Dictionary. Yes there are some tactics, many always begin with the same word(s), but luck plays a massive part.
One can increase the skill-factor -- and potential joy when one does well, obstacles notwithstanding -- by putting in place the game's available "hard mode" refinement (which I've mentioned here before): which rejects any word which one tries to enter, which cannot be right -- because of letters wrongly placed, or already fully "stricken out". (In a way, the "hard mode" thing can be seen I suppose, as making matters easier rather than -- or as well as -- harder.) I reckon self pretty laid-back as regards playing the game: am pleased when I get the word at all -- there are days when I fail to; can't get zealous about sweating on success in as few goes as possible. I eschew "hard mode", because I like to be able on occasion, to enter words which I know can't be right, in the hope of getting a "pointer" to the right one -- or if I get sick of the thing, to just use up the full six goes with wrong words, so as to get told the answer.

Posted on Fri. March 15th: I learn that today's Wordle is the one-thousandth since the game began. Glasses duly raised ...

(The above "automerged" -- or not? -- all this, a business which I -- simple-minded about these things -- wish did not exist.)

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Did today‘s in 2, :D However the main reason for posting is they seem to have removed your stats and streaks etc unless you create an account.