• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst UK train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
I like the pendo first class plenty space comfy but hey ho. Had a standard coach all to myself couple of weeks back it was fine and dandy what a difference no passengers makes lol
Those coaches are tired and dated, but before covid I was aware Avanti were to refurbish the lot of them. Have any been done?

Energy

Established Member
on soul-less Thameslink and many other TOC's trains
A train being soul less isn't a bad thing, a train is a machine with the purpose of transporting people. All 700s performing exactly the same or whatever doesn't affect its ability to efficiently and comfortably transport people although the seats do affect how comfortable it is.

Energy

Established Member
Those coaches are tired and dated, but before covid I was aware Avanti were to refurbish the lot of them. Have any been done?
They are still going to but are delayed due to covid, the voyagers are currently getting a refresh and getting it done very quickly.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, if they do refurbish the Pendo's (and to be fair, they are about due) I hope they retain the reasonably subdued lighting. So much nicer than operating theatre style bright lighting as seems to be the fashion on most trains nowadays.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
158s are the devil's spawn. Toilets smell like a sewer, they breakdown all the time, you can break your leg by trapping it under the table as there's no room for your legs unless you are a small child, awful driving cab to sit in. Horrible things
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever broken a leg because of an awkwardly-placed table leg, on a train or otherwise (unless they've tripped over it and been very unlucky). If they had, the papers and rail mags would be full of "Get these death-trap trains off our railways" opinion pieces.

158s get a bad rep because they're so ubiquitous. Even Northern's units mostly have the more reliable Liebherr aircon systems now, and I've only seen one unit with the emergency hoppers open in the recent heatwave. "The aircon is always broken" can be added to the long list of British Railway Myths.

StevieH500

On Moderation
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever broken a leg because of an awkwardly-placed table leg, on a train or otherwise (unless they've tripped over it and been very unlucky). If they had, the papers and rail mags would be full of "Get these death-trap trains off our railways" opinion pieces.

158s get a bad rep because they're so ubiquitous. Even Northern's units mostly have the more reliable Liebherr aircon systems now, and I've only seen one unit with the emergency hoppers open in the recent heatwave. "The aircon is always broken" can be added to the long list of British Railway Myths.
Having worked these units for many years I can say with confidence this isn't a myth.

But if 158s are your thing you are very welcome to them.

StevieH500

On Moderation
Well, if they do refurbish the Pendo's (and to be fair, they are about due) I hope they retain the reasonably subdued lighting. So much nicer than operating theatre style bright lighting as seems to be the fashion on most trains nowadays.
Yeah I would say they have held up very well for units that are going on 20 years old. Not that dated looking at all but yes a refresh wouldn't go a miss.

DB

Having worked these units for many years I can say with confidence this isn't a myth.

Having been on them a lot as a passenger (particularly Northern ones, but others too) in recent years I've also found the same! Hot weather equals air conditioning failing in far more cases than with any other unit I can think of.

Other than that I don't actually mind them though - until recently they were better than all of Northern's other DMUs (the 170s are better).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

But if 158s are your thing you are very welcome to them.
The aircon bit, or the "dangerous tables"?

I do quite like them to be honest, especially the centre cars of the Northern 3-cars with their nice comfy seats. The only "small regional diesel unit" that I've liked better are the DB 612s.

StevieH500

On Moderation
The aircon bit, or the "dangerous tables"?

I do quite like them to be honest, especially the centre cars of the Northern 3-cars with their nice comfy seats. The only "small regional unit" that I've liked better are the DB 612s.
Everything I have said is from my experience of them over many years. They are garbage awful things. I said almost broke a leg but you took it to far. You smash your shins off the table legs so easily and your legs are very difficult to extract out from underneath the table when standing up.

The driving cab will see you need many hours at the chiropractor and if you think the air con is bad in the coach you ain't seen nothing compared to the cab. The hot air from the heat exchange billows nicely under your seat on a nice hot summers day.

Trackman

Established Member
Good call that.
First one due December.
221's being done now.

lxfe_mxtterz

Agreed. Personally, I think the lighting is one of the best things about the Pendolinos - makes travelling at night so much nicer and more enjoyable.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
158s are the devil's spawn. Toilets smell like a sewer, they breakdown all the time, you can break your leg by trapping it under the table as there's no room for your legs unless you are a small child, awful driving cab to sit in. Horrible things

I've never had a 158 breakdown. The cabs are better than 150's.

I'm not sure what you have been doing but 158's are relatively bulletproof..

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Everything I have said is from my experience of them over many years. They are garbage awful things. I said almost broke a leg but you took it to far. You smash your shins off the table legs so easily and your legs are very difficult to extract out from underneath the table when standing up.

The driving cab will see you need many hours at the chiropractor and if you think the air con is bad in the coach you ain't seen nothing compared to the cab. The hot air from the heat exchange billows nicely under your seat on a nice hot summers day.
I await the citation of anyone actually breaking a leg in that way. You said "you can break a leg" in your initial post, now you've revised that to "almost". Mention of chiropractic treatment which a quick google tells me is an "alternative medicine" accordingto the NHS, i.e. one that hasn't been proven to have any clinical efficacy, doesn't really support your case. You may as well say that 158s are haunted by bad juju. :lol: :rolleyes:

As you work the units you may well be more aware of their shortcomings than the average punter, but the hyperbole masquerading as fact just paints the industry in a worse light than it deserves.

greyman42

Established Member
There are worse out there but the worst I've been on this year are class 170 Turbostars: too small for the routes they work, worn out interiors and routinely thrashed.
Northerns class 170 are very good. Their best DMU.

Gathursty

Established Member
153s
221s
Pacers
Also the 230 Vivarail's - mainly because I've heard about it not being so reliable on the Bletchley line (not including the level crossing issue)
Hopefully these snags can be fixed as otherwise I think they are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.