• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC have re vinyled 3 x Power cars at Laira

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
99% of the passengers probably couldn’t care less if it was in XC livery, a BR livery or had unicorn vinyls for that matter. What most passengers care about is that the train is reliable, affordable and reasonably comfortable.
XC fails potentially on all three of those without the HSTs and that’s where the issue over the withdrawal really lies, not what livery two power cars have.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
You’re denying HST enthusiasts their right to say farewell to the fleet in heri liveries and for all we know they might have been repainted for a future owner

There is no right, and quite frankly the colour of the powercar surely doesn't matter?

dk1

Veteran Member
99% of the passengers probably couldn’t care less if it was in XC livery, a BR livery or had unicorn vinyls for that matter. What most passengers care about is that the train is reliable, affordable and reasonably comfortable.
XC fails potentially on all three of those without the HSTs and that’s where the issue over the withdrawal really lies, not what livery two power cars have.

Same about any livery or occasional flash such as a Pride rainbow. It’s just something that many transport operators do & nice to give a nod to the past. As I’ve said, in railway financial terms it’s peanuts we are talking about.

DanNCL

Established Member
Same about any livery or occasional flash such as a Pride rainbow. It’s just something that many transport operators do & nice to give a nod to the past. As I’ve said, in railway financial terms it’s peanuts we are talking about.
I’m not seeking to dispute that.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I would politely add that a Pride rainbow pays homage and support to the historical oppression and contemporary acceptance of people's sexualities, and thus I don't really think it's a valid comparison to a past railway livery. Even so, mind you, I'd still question the value of adding one a month before they're withdrawn.

And I'd still stand by the fact even a Pride livery shouldn't be applied until the interior of the company's trains were clean, to be quite honest, but Intercity Swallow definitely can't be considered to have the same meaning :lol:

Everyone on here has a right to an opinion, that’s all fair around
I'm glad you now agree :)

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I would politely add that a Pride rainbow pays homage and support to the historical oppression and contemporary acceptance of people's sexualities, and thus I don't really think it's a valid comparison to a past railway livery. Even so, mind you, I'd still question the value of adding one a month before they're withdrawn.

But as with everything the pride thing is not for everyone and we all have differing opinions on things all valid in their own right.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
But as with everything the pride thing is not for everyone and we all have differing opinions on things all valid in their own right.
I mean, I'd personally air on the side of caution about saying things like that. I feel like if you said that about a similar movement like BLM you'd be cancelled in seconds.

Moving on though, does anyone else not think 3 is a slightly random number? One makes sense, but if you want to do more an even number can be used in pairs, with a heritage car at each end. Three gives you a pair and a half :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
I mean, I'd personally air on the side of caution about saying things like that. I feel like if you said that about a similar movement like BLM you'd be cancelled in seconds.

It’s just something i hear from various people every day of my life. Not something to be cautious about mentioning as it is what it is.

On Moderation
I'm getting the distinct impression some people are whinging for the sake of whinging on this thread. XC re-livery two power cars and they whine. If XC hadn't done anything, they'd whine.

On Moderation
Moving on though, does anyone else not think 3 is a slightly random number? One makes sense, but if you want to do more an even number can be used in pairs, with a heritage car at each end. Three gives you a pair and a half :lol:
It is not a random number - the three power cars cover all three liveries worn under BR. The only other Cross Country livery not carried is Virgin, and doubt they'd do that one.

In any case, it is only two that have been done now; the third one (43184) was done some time ago.

irish_rail

Established Member
The debate here should be what the Hell are XC going to do when these trains leave! The 4 car sets that seem everywhere are full to bursting now, and yet soon the fleet will be further stretched. Its so annoyingly ridiculous that Dft are getting away with withdrawing them without a replacement .

dk1

Veteran Member
The debate here should be what the Hell are XC going to do when these trains leave! The 4 car sets that seem everywhere are full to bursting now, and yet soon the fleet will be further stretched. Its so annoyingly ridiculous that Dft are getting away with withdrawing them without a replacement .

I hang on to the thought that they’ll pull something out of the bag but there’s going to be a delay between whatever happens. It’s not going to be pretty for the next year or so.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The news:

XC have put out a couple of HST power cars in heritage liveries.

The response:
Some pro, some against…

I think we’re probably done here beating in mind where the discussions have gone. If anyone sees them out and about then please feel free to post photos of them in the trip report or photography sections so that those who appreciate this kind of thing can express their admiration.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.