• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ediswan

Established Member

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Established Member
When you read a post such as the following (#5283 in the Rishi Sunak and the Conservative Party thread):-

"I can't speak for the whole country, but for at least six months or more I've not seen a single NOS capsule or bottle lying around on a train, street, shopping centre, car park, nor seen any remnants of balloons"

and have no idea what an NOS capsule or bottle is or what they look like.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
and have no idea what an NOS capsule or bottle is or what they look like.
Metallic canister containing nitrous oxide (gas).

Often look like this...

Canister.jpg
Legitimate use is for creating an instant foam when making whipped cream.

Non Multi

Metallic canister containing nitrous oxide (gas). Often look like this...

View attachment 146217
Legitimate use is for creating a foam when making whipped cream.
They're just as likely to be found in a rusted, crushed state where street cleaning is very infrequent.

This year I've mostly seen dumped 14kg large NOS canisters. These are the professional food grade 'cream chargers'.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some urban green warrior litterpicker types have collected literally thousands of the things and then weighed them in as scrap, but as they're mostly made of steel, you won't get too rich doing this.

Gloster

Established Member
I think a lot depends on where (and when) you go walking. Places where yoof congregate and are ignored used to be littered with them overnight, but the council knew the areas that needed cleaning, while they were much rarer in places whence the hoolies are quickly moved on.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Metallic canister containing nitrous oxide (gas).

Often look like this...

View attachment 146217
Legitimate use is for creating an instant foam when making whipped cream.
Yep use to see little piles of them in the gutter where they are discarded and then the loser drives off in a car.

Nowadays they are larger, stronger and heavier normal gas bottles more likely to injure someone if a car drives over them and they ping up into the air and someones head.

They're just as likely to be found in a rusted, crushed state where street cleaning is very infrequent.

This year I've mostly seen dumped 14kg large NOS canisters. These are the professional food grade 'cream chargers'.
Yes , crushed is quite common in my experience. That is not the case for the bigger ones of course.
Some urban green warrior litterpicker types have collected literally thousands of the things and then weighed them in as scrap, but as they're mostly made of steel, you won't get too rich doing this.
I tried weighing them in but was told they will not accept gas bottles. Perhaps I need to try a less convenient scrap merchant. I can collect half a dozen of the things in a 20 minute walk.

Here is a pic of the offending big ones.

Last edited:

Whilst driving along the road you suddenly remember trafficators on cars and think to yourself that you must mention this in a post. You also wonder if you’ve mentioned this in a post previously but can’t remember.

317 forever

Established Member
When the local radio station plays a Golden Hour, and you only know about half the songs, not because the year is too long ago, but because it's too recent!

And you know less songs than when they do a year before you were even born.

Happened to me tonight for I think the first time.
I sometimes hear BBC Radio Leicester presenter Summaya Mougal encouraged when many people guess a year say 40 years ago correctly, but comment that a year 10-15 years ago is a hard one to guess.

D6130

Established Member
When you notice a funny smell coming from the breakfast cereal cupboard beside the fridge and - on investigation - find a one week-old plastic box of mouldy blueberries hidden behind the cornflakes box. :rolleyes:

Killingworth

Established Member
Shaving! Noting how many men today don't bother. Every day since before starting work I was brought up with Gillette and the need to have a close clean shave, using equipment just like this. Now it's a plastic throwaway device with 3 blades!

Screenshot (1036).png

And memories flood back of a 1967 works visit to the newly opened Wilkinson Sword stainless steel razor blade plant at Cramlington. The Wilkinson name was etched on the blades with acid, the steel coming in large rolls from Sweden. See; https://www.mediastorehouse.co.uk/m...inson-sword-company-cramlington-21876517.html

A job creation plant in the North East to alleviate unemployment as mines closed down, a policy pushed by Quintin Hogg who had come ringing a hand bell as Minister with responsibility for unemployment in the North-East between 1963 and 1964. (Curious that the workers shown shaving on 6th March 1967 at the newly opened factory are described "Each face tells a tale of commitment and expertise honed through years spent perfecting their craft." To shaving one assumes, not to making the blades.)

Memories.

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
That brings back memories of my father with little bits of tissue on his face. I still wet shave but with Gillettes finest disposables (which I make last a month or so).

Killingworth

Established Member
That brings back memories of my father with little bits of tissue on his face. I still wet shave but with Gillettes finest disposables (which I make last a month or so).

My father had an alum block he used as an antiseptic after shaving. I've never used one but see they can still be bought at many outlets on Amazon so many people must still find them effective.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I used disposable (Bic) razors for 30 years but last year switched to a Gillette safety razor. Much better. One razor blade is all you need after all.

To go back on topic, you know you are getting older when some of your stubble is grey or white.

Killingworth

Established Member
I used disposable (Bic) razors for 30 years but last year switched to a Gillette safety razor. Much better. One razor blade is all you need after all.

To go back on topic, you know you are getting older when some of your stubble is grey or white.

You know you're getting old when you look for the Wilkinson Sword razor blade factory you toured when it was new and it's gone. A housing estate has been developed on the site.

zero

I'm 35. I recently did 7 days of continuous travelling, trains buses etc with limited sleep. After it was all over it took me 3 weeks to feel normal again.

When I was 25 I didn't need any time to recover. When I was 30 I only needed 1-2 days to recover, but each subsequent year it took longer and longer.

This is annoying because in the future I won't be able cover all the parts of a network I want to in one trip, and the overheads/positioning means that taking things slowly will require triple the time and expense rather than just double.

Cambrian359

I'm 35. I recently did 7 days of continuous travelling, trains buses etc with limited sleep. After it was all over it took me 3 weeks to feel normal again.

When I was 25 I didn't need any time to recover. When I was 30 I only needed 1-2 days to recover, but each subsequent year it took longer and longer.

This is annoying because in the future I won't be able cover all the parts of a network I want to in one trip, and the overheads/positioning means that taking things slowly will require triple the time and expense rather than just double.
When you’re 37 and genuinely wonder if you’ll make it to 60!
Getting out of the sofa in the evening is uncomfortable and sometimes painful on the joints for the first minute or so.

Killingworth

Established Member
When you’re 37 and genuinely wonder if you’ll make it to 60!
Getting out of the sofa in the evening is uncomfortable and sometimes painful on the joints for the first minute or so.

60? You will, but by 57 reaching 80 may look challenging. By 77 reaching 100 will be a daunting prospect.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Must admit i started to have aches in my late 30s. In my 40s i became a lot more active (walking that is not triathlons or anything lol). Now i can genuinely say i am physically fitter in my early 50s than my late 30s.

Still ache of course but at least i am able to walk further!

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Oh yes. I remember those days !. A one week rover with every other night in a youth hostel or sleeper. I am in my 60s now and long gone are the days of even remembering how I did it !.

Ediswan

Established Member
My hair used to be dark, but my stubble always had white and ginger patches, which is one reason I never grew a beard. I would have looked like a calico cat.