• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining Northern Line Bank upgrades following major blockade

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]
What is being done at Bank is similar to what was done at London Bridge a few years ago. At Bank, and formerly at London Bridge, the tracks were always in separate tunnels but very close together so passengers had to walk down the crowded platforms. One of the tracks is diverted into a new tunnel and the former platform tunnel becomes a passenger circulating space. In this area at London Bridge you can see that the accesses to one platform are arched, the original connections between the two platforms as at Bank, and the new ones on the other side are square-topped and I think a bit wider.
Just noticed Geoff Marshall has done another video on this, and he also includes a diversion down to London Bridge to illustrate much of the point you’ve just made, at about 8m 30s:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Had the displeasure of seeing for myself just how chaotic closing Stockwell to ChX turned out to be this afternoon - nobody seemed to be aware this was actually happening as well as the Kennington/Moorgate blockade on the ground, and staff were struggling with hefty crowds coming off the Vic southbound this afternoon - if they do this again they REALLY need to staff up and tell people that trains are going to be rammed. Add in the closure of the Overground at Clapham North and the shutdown on SWR and anyone without a car really isn't having a great day in South London trying to get anywhere. What happened to DfT taking a view on too many aggregate closures, or does that just not happen anymore?

bramling

Veteran Member
Euston and Angel were formerly central platforms in a wide tunnel with tracks each side, as two stations in Clapham still are. At Euston and Angel a second tunnel was bored for one of the tracks, and the other track stayed in the original tunnel with the line of the second track filled in to make a wide platform. Euston is a bit more complicated than that because of the arrangements made to accommodate the Victoria Line at the same time.

What is being done at Bank is similar to what was done at London Bridge a few years ago. At Bank, and formerly at London Bridge, the tracks were always in separate tunnels but very close together so passengers had to walk down the crowded platforms. One of the tracks is diverted into a new tunnel and the former platform tunnel becomes a passenger circulating space. In this area at London Bridge you can see that the accesses to one platform are arched, the original connections between the two platforms as at Bank, and the new ones on the other side are square-topped and I think a bit wider.

The Bank work is quite interesting from an engineering point of view, as LU left the door open for the bidder contractors to devise their own innovations.

One slight difference compared to London Bridge is the new tunnel is some distance away from the old ones. This is a function of the need to accommodate escalator shafts in the space, but also so that the new running tunnel could be in a suitable place to use Arthur Street as a worksite - the construction shaft cutting through the original 1890 King William Street tunnel. As a spin-off this also allowed the disused station to be used as further working space.

Had the displeasure of seeing for myself just how chaotic closing Stockwell to ChX turned out to be this afternoon - nobody seemed to be aware this was actually happening as well as the Kennington/Moorgate blockade on the ground, and staff were struggling with hefty crowds coming off the Vic southbound this afternoon - if they do this again they REALLY need to staff up and tell people that trains are going to be rammed. Add in the closure of the Overground at Clapham North and the shutdown on SWR and anyone without a car really isn't having a great day in South London trying to get anywhere. What happened to DfT taking a view on too many aggregate closures, or does that just not happen anymore?

The operating side of TfL is a mess these days, and this sort of thing is simply a symptom of that.

Another example was the Saturday before Christmas, when some lines had gaps of 25-30 minutes through the central area, with horrendous crowding in consequence and rather patchy attempts at crowd control.

Unfortunately, successive years of very poor quality management at TfL is showing.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Bank work is quite interesting from an engineering point of view, as LU left the door open for the bidder contractors to devise their own innovations.
That reminds me that London Reconnections covered it in some detail a while ago: Bank Station Part 4: Getting Radical - London Reconnections (this is probably the most relevant part for this discussion but links back to earlier ones).
This revised scheme was the brainchild of Dragados who were successful at securing the contract when bidding against three other applicants. It was not just the initiative of the worksite at Arthur Street that helped secure the contract. There were other pleasant surprises too. How much these depended on the Arthur Street worksite is not clear but the additional tunnelling time made available by this worksite and, we believe, the advantages of having the new running tunnel slightly further away from the line of route originally proposed probably helped.

Adoarable

Would the best way to get from Euston to Bank now be from Euston Square to Monument using the Circle line?
The walking distance from Moorgate to Bank is 600 metres, so you may find it quicker to take Northern or Circle/Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan lines to Moorgate and walk from there. The exception is if you want to change for the DLR platforms, in which case you might as well take the Circle to Monument.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would the best way to get from Euston to Bank now be from Euston Square to Monument using the Circle line?
That’s a long way round the circle line. I’d do Victoria Line to Oxford Circus then Central Line to Bank.

Geezertronic

Established Member
The walking distance from Moorgate to Bank is 600 metres, so you may find it quicker to take Northern or Circle/Hammersmith & City/Metropolitan lines to Moorgate and walk from there. The exception is if you want to change for the DLR platforms, in which case you might as well take the Circle to Monument.

Thanks, feels longer on the tube.

That’s a long way round the circle line. I’d do Victoria Line to Oxford Circus then Central Line to Bank.

Thanks, I'll consider that

D365

Veteran Member
Agreed. Even when the Northern was fully open, it was typically easier to commute from KGX/STP to Moorgate via Farringdon, instead of Bank via Old Street.

On Moderation
Wouldn’t Northern line Euston to Tottenham Court Road for Central line be quicker?

A Challenge

Established Member
Wouldn’t Northern line Euston to Tottenham Court Road for Central line be quicker?
Probably, but it may still be easier as it avoids the Northern line completely, as the Charing Cross branch will probably be quite busy - I was going to be going Waterloo to Euston in a couple of weeks and was thinking of going via Oxford Circus, even though it introduces an change (though that is cross platform in this case).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Possibly, but the Victoria Line is faster than the Northern Line and in my experience the interchange at Oxford Circus is easier if you’re in the correct part of the train.

I’ve travelled from my office near Chancery Lane to Euston via Oxford Circus in 13 minutes before.

Cdd89

Established Member
I’m interested that the 733 terminates at Oval Station, goes all the way around Vauxhall Cross, then returns to Oval Station to restart northbound. Quite a detour. Wouldn’t it have been better to make it officially terminate at Vauxhall, if a better place to turn around couldn’t be found?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

agreed. Assuming the final destination is close to Bank, tube to Moorgate and and walk will be quickest

philjo

Established Member
What are the current service patterns and frequencies running from Moorgate? I saw notices recommending not to change at Camden Town, which implies that there are direct services to both Edgware and High Barnet.
I travel from Kings Cross to the Edgware branch - normally all trains in morning peak go to Edgware.

Dstock7080

Established Member
What are the current service patterns and frequencies running from Moorgate? I saw notices recommending not to change at Camden Town, which implies that there are direct services to both Edgware and High Barnet.
TTN2/22 refers:
off-peak:
Moorgate-Mill Hill every 30min
Moorgate-Barnet every 10min
Moorgate-Edgware every 10min

peak:
trains depart Moorgate every 3¾min
pattern:
B E M E B E B E M E B E

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
TTN2/22 refers:
off-peak:
Moorgate-Mill Hill every 30min
Moorgate-Barnet every 10min
Moorgate-Edgware every 10min

peak:
trains depart Moorgate every 3¾min
pattern:
B E M E B E B E M E B E
Thanks

Daniel

Established Member
It does seem a serious failure of planning to close both arms of the Northern Line at the same time unless absolutely unavoidable.

It is absolutely unavoidable. To work on the signalling computers on one branch in the Kennington area, it will affect the other because it is the same computer. The line is split up zonally onto different signalling computers, but it is logical that all of Kennington is kept on one computer so that there are no interlocking conflicts between the branches - the same applies at Camden Town.

Mikey C

Established Member
I took a train north from Moorgate on Saturday. A very quick turnaround, the southbound train terminated on platform 8, and reversed back again after only a very short pause.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I took a train north from Moorgate on Saturday. A very quick turnaround, the southbound train terminated on platform 8, and reversed back again after only a very short pause.

Stepping back is in operation all day at Moorgate; one train at off-peak times and two trains during the MF peak. Stepping back is whereby, after arriving at the terminus with train 1, the driver (driver B) exits the cab and makes their way to the rear of the train, operating a 'rear cab clear' (RCC) plunger on their way. Meanwhile, a fresh driver (driver A) is already waiting adjacent to the rear (now front) cab of train 1, who boards and livens up the cab once they receive the RCC alarm. The process then repeats with train 2 arriving, its driver (driver C) alighting and then our original driver of train 1, driver B, then takes that train back out.

Train 1 arrives with driver B and leaves with driver A.
Train 2 arrives with driver C and leaves with driver B.
Train 3 arrives with driver D and leaves with driver C.

And so-on.

Where two trains are stepped back the principle is the same but with an extra driver in the mix.

Train 1 arrives with driver C and leaves with driver A.
Train 2 arrives with driver D and leaves with driver B.
Train 3 arrives with driver E and leaves with driver C.
Train 4 arrives with driver F and leaves with driver D.

&c.

Stepping back allows for near-instantaneous turnarounds, uplifting capacity and limiting terminating trains to the physical track capacity (platform re-occupation times etc.) rather than how long it takes for drivers to change ends. Ordinarily drivers are permitted 4 minutes to change ends; clearly a 5 minute headway could not be sustained from a single platform without stepping back.

Mikey C

Established Member
Stepping back is in operation all day at Moorgate; one train at off-peak times and two trains during the MF peak. Stepping back is whereby, after arriving at the terminus with train 1, the driver (driver B) exits the cab and makes their way to the rear of the train, operating a 'rear cab clear' (RCC) plunger on their way. Meanwhile, a fresh driver (driver A) is already waiting adjacent to the rear (now front) cab of train 1, who boards and livens up the cab once they receive the RCC alarm. The process then repeats with train 2 arriving, its driver (driver C) alighting and then our original driver of train 1, driver B, then takes that train back out.

Train 1 arrives with driver B and leaves with driver A.
Train 2 arrives with driver C and leaves with driver B.
Train 3 arrives with driver D and leaves with driver C.

And so-on.

Where two trains are stepped back the principle is the same but with an extra driver in the mix.

Train 1 arrives with driver C and leaves with driver A.
Train 2 arrives with driver D and leaves with driver B.
Train 3 arrives with driver E and leaves with driver C.
Train 4 arrives with driver F and leaves with driver D.

&c.

Stepping back allows for near-instantaneous turnarounds, uplifting capacity and limiting terminating trains to the physical track capacity (platform re-occupation times etc.) rather than how long it takes for drivers to change ends. Ordinarily drivers are permitted 4 minutes to change ends; clearly a 5 minute headway could not be sustained from a single platform without stepping back.
Thanks, I thought something like this must have been going on, as I was at the "new front" of the train (i.e. the end furthest from the original driver) and didn't see him walking up the platform

bcarmicle

At some point, I saw a TfL-produced Gantt-chart-esque graphic that showed what work would be done when during the Bank station blockade -- does anyone know where I could find this again?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
At some point, I saw a TfL-produced Gantt-chart-esque graphic that showed what work would be done when during the Bank station blockade -- does anyone know where I could find this again?
I remember seeing one too, although I haven’t found it yet, but I was wondering if it’s within one of the various YouTube videos about the work?

Or in a New Civil Engineer article maybe? Post #36 includes a text version from that website of the main timescales for the various high level activities.

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
I remember seeing one too, although I haven’t found it yet, but I was wondering if it’s within one of the various YouTube videos about the work?

Or in a New Civil Engineer article maybe? Post #36 includes a text version from that website of the main timescales for the various high level activities.

Not sure if you mean this type?:
(project moved on from week 4)
51891715535_5ff4cf0f15_c.jpg

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Not sure if you mean this type?:
(project moved on from week 4)
51891715535_5ff4cf0f15_c.jpg

Think we are now in week 10, about day 75 (I haven’t checked my day count exactly, but of course parts of the work may be few days ahead or behind target), so phases 3 and 4 are ending.

On another 1-2 weeks parts get handed back for TfL staff familiarisation and testing.

Mid May is when the line and new Southbound tunnel open, but project carries on for few months, the travelators to Central line expected to open in Autumn, and final opening will be new Cannon Street entrance (in December ?)

fgwrich

Established Member
Think we are now in week 10, about day 75 (I haven’t checked my day count exactly, but of course parts of the work may be few days ahead or behind target), so phases 3 and 4 are ending.

On another 1-2 weeks parts get handed back for TfL staff familiarisation and testing.

Mid May is when the line and new Southbound tunnel open, but project carries on for few months, the travelators to Central line expected to open in Autumn, and final opening will be new Cannon Street entrance (in December ?)
Correct, that seems to be the plan so far.

IanVisits did an article this week with some photos of the current progress and timescales:

Status
Not open for further replies.