• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22nd February - Roadmap out of the pandemic, lifting of restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djgr

Established Member
The problem is an old one, and some restaurants were already requiring deposits to protect against late notice no shows (and that is longer than 4 hours).

The issue is worsened by Covid restrictions, but is one caused by the failure of those making and cancelling bookings to allow for the effect they have on the businesses they're treating so carelessly.
Whilst not condoning this I think that there are measures that pubs/restaurants could enact to reduce its occurrence.

First, they need to make it much clearer whether your booked table is under cover or not. Often hidden away in the "blurb" it will say that being sheltered from the rain etc. is not guaranteed.

Second they need to make it clearer what menu is on offer. Often what is being provided is a shadow of the normal menu.

I believe many no-shows are as a result of a realisation by the would-be customers that the planned meal out is not likely to be what was initially anticipated.

Finally they need to make it clearer how to cancel a booking and ensure that the relevant weblink is working and that their phone is answered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisC

Established Member
Looking at the deaths figures for ENGLAND now. They really are absolutely miniscule now. Yesterday there were just TWO deaths. And the current daily average is just 21. Week on week the number of deaths is decreasing. By sometime during the first week of May, I'm fully expecting that to be down to just about into the single digits figures. With these sorts of stats, it really is absolutely ridiculous and bonkers that these nuisance hassly damaging social distancing and face mask wearing restrictions are still being kept for what is intended to be another 2 months. Just what an earth is the point now in these restrictions continuing any longer??!! I think it's certainly not being unreasonable nor unrealistic at the very least for both of the final stages of the roadmap easing of lockdown/restrictions to be brought forward by either two or one weeks each. Even if each of those stages were brought forward by one week, that would mean the 7th June for the lockdown to be completely eased and all restrictions scrapped. That would be some improvement on having to wait untill 21st June. This is not atall unreasonable nor unrealistic! But I think Johnson probably STILL won't budge on this, and if challenged on this he'll probably say something like "Well the reason for the 5 week gap between the stages is to give us 4 weeks to look at the data, and to give businesses one week's notice to allow them to reopen.". They don't need 4 weeks to look at the data, they can clearly see the hospital numbers and stats are absolutely tumbling far faster than they expected!

Johnson recently said some nonsense that "A third wave will wash upon these shores within 3 weeks.". Well that was over a month ago now! He got that wrong! There will be no devastating third wave! Even if cases do rise over the coming months, the link between cases leading to a surge in hospital admissions and deaths has been broken! Those days are long gone!

A Downing Street News Conference today at 5 with Johnson! I have a feeling he will be joined (yet) again by Whitty and Vallance, who will both probably have something negative to say as usual!

Having said that though, I am very very confident that come 21st June the lockdown and all restrictions will be completely scrapped. And about time too! I really can't see how they could justify delaying and dragging this on past that date.
I think the whole timetable and order in which restrictions are to be lifted no longer makes any sense to most people. Although that has been the case right through this pandemic with so many inconsistencies.

I was watching the news reports showing all the crowds of non social distancing people gathering in the streets of Soho in London and other cities around the country. I’m not criticising them, as most of them were younger people at very little risk, and infection levels are at such a low level now especially in London and death rates are also now very low. I thought how nice it was seeing people having a good time and life getting back to normal. What it did make me think is why are these people allowed to crowd the streets, when at the same time I am not able to book an overnight stay even in a small, quiet country hotel. Also because overnight stays are still not permitted, people are not able to visit relatives who live some distance away. If they are elderly relatives they have probably had both doses of the vaccine by now anyway. It all does not seem to have any logic to it.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I was watching the news reports showing all the crowds of non social distancing people gathering in the streets of Soho in London and other cities around the country. I’m not criticising them, as most of them were younger people at very little risk, and infection levels are at such a low level now especially in London and death rates are also now very low. What it did make me think is why are these people allowed to crowd the streets, when at the same time I am not able to book an overnight stay even in a small, quiet country hotel.
And the only thing stopping such a small, quiet country hotel from opening its doors to all guests is the fact that they have a communal corridor and staircase to access the rooms...

ChrisC

Established Member
And the only thing stopping such a small, quiet country hotel from opening its doors to all guests is the fact that they have a communal corridor and staircase to access the rooms...
How do people move around shops, use public toilets and transport if they can’t use communal corridors and stairs? I’m not saying you are wrong, it’s just another inconsistency that people are now finding difficult to understand.

MikeWM

Established Member
I was watching the news reports showing all the crowds of non social distancing people gathering in the streets of Soho in London and other cities around the country. I’m not criticising them, as most of them were younger people at very little risk, and infection levels are at such a low level now especially in London and death rates are also now very low. I thought how nice it was seeing people having a good time and life getting back to normal.

I wandered through Soho on Saturday evening. Incredibly busy, great atmosphere. I found it really positive and life-affirming :)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
How do people move around shops, use public toilets and transport if they can’t use communal corridors and stairs? I’m not saying you are wrong, it’s just another inconsistency that people are now finding difficult to understand.
That's precisely what I was alluding to! It's a fool's errand trying to find any logic in the restrictions, and the order in which they are being eased.

How can it be safe for hotels to open in Wales or Scotland from Monday, but so dangerous it's illegal in England? When you consider the fact that those two countries have generally been far more cautious throughout, it becomes obvious that this has very little to do with preventing Covid, and everything to do with preserving the government's messaging of fear, and its image.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I think the whole timetable and order in which restrictions are to be lifted no longer makes any sense to most people. Although that has been the case right through this pandemic with so many inconsistencies.

, when at the same time I am not able to book an overnight stay even in a small, quiet country hotel. Also because overnight stays are still not permitted, people are not able to visit relatives who live some distance away. If they are elderly relatives they have probably had both doses of the vaccine by now anyway. It all does not seem to have any logic to it.
If the number of people of all ages old, young and family groups travelling on my trains at work with suitcases and overnight bags is anything to go by then a lot of people are ignoring the no overnight stays rule, and as most hotels etc are for essential stays only, I suspect also ignoring the no gathering in people's houses rule too.

Infact pretty much everyone I know of all ages and all social circles, including those who were very taking the restrictions seriously before, appear to be now quite happy to visit people in houses or have guests themselves.

I wandered through Soho on Saturday evening. Incredibly busy, great atmosphere. I found it really positive and life-affirming :)
My local pubs were all very busy last week but last weekend was like a bank holiday. My village, which is quite touristy and in a pretty and popular area was absolutely heaving with people all weekend. Local tourist and arts and crafts shops were doing a roaring trade, car parks were bursting, there was some sort of band playing in the street, all the cafés had massive queues with all available seating in use and every available inch of nearby wall, grass, public bench in use. The village park was bursting with people. And the largest of my local pubs which has a large outdoor area closed early on Sunday as they had literally run out of food, nearly run out of beer and the staff were absolutely knackered.

It was a like a huge carnival atmosphere all weekend.

It was absolutely great to see and experience.

Also great was that pretty much nobody seemed to care about social distancing etc.

Of interest to other posts - the aforementioned local pub is not taking any pre bookings and just doing first come first served. This appears to be the theme with quite a few pubs, with the rest saying something like it's 50% reservable / 50% first come first served.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
33 deaths and 2500ish cases today but...

Hospitalizations are below 2000 at 1973! So still overall good news. Plus the seven-day rolling average only increases from 25 to 26, which is okay for a Tuesday.

Class 33

Established Member
I really hope so however based on past performance, I wish I shared your confidence that all restrictions will be gone (social distancing, masks, requirements for testing before attending concerts etc..)

I should have added though that even though I'm very confident(though not quite 100%) that this dreaded social distancing and face mask wearing nonsense will finally be scrapped on 21st June, I'm still half expecting a ban on mass gatherings events/festivals may be retained for maybe another month or so after 21st June. Which would be bad news again for the festivals/events industry this summer. A number of festivals that had intended to go ahead after 21st June have recently cancelled as the organisers are not fully confident that all restrictions will be scrapped on 21st June, and they're unwilling to take that gamble of going ahead with the organising of the festivals and then only for the government to say "Sorry. Festivals can not go ahead yet." and having to cancel at short notice and the financial problems this would cause. I think festivals currently intending to go ahead in late June and July are somewhat iffy at the moment whether they'll be able to go ahead. Any in August and September though, have somewhat more of a fair chance of being able to go ahead.

Today's press conference not with Whitty and Vallance, but with medical director of primary care for NHS England, Dr Nikita Kanani. Let's see what Johnson's attitude is like today. Will he be very optimistic, or very cautious and pessimistic like he has been in recent weeks?

kristiang85

Established Member
I should have added though that even though I'm very confident(though not quite 100%) that this dreaded social distancing and face mask wearing nonsense will finally be scrapped on 21st June, I'm still half expecting a ban on mass gatherings events/festivals may be retained for maybe another month or so after 21st June. Which would be bad news again for the festivals/events industry this summer. A number of festivals that had intended to go ahead after 21st June have recently cancelled as the organisers are not fully confident that all restrictions will be scrapped on 21st June, and they're unwilling to take that gamble of going ahead with the organising of the festivals and then only for the government to say "Sorry. Festivals can not go ahead yet." and having to cancel at short notice and the financial problems this would cause. I think festivals currently intending to go ahead in late June and July are somewhat iffy at the moment whether they'll be able to go ahead. Any in August and September though, have somewhat more of a fair chance of being able to go ahead.

Given how many people I know who have lined up weddings from June 21st onwards (myself included), any further delay to larger gatherings would really screw many families and suppliers over.

87electric

Today's press conference not with Whitty and Vallance, but with medical director of primary care for NHS England, Dr Nikita Kanani. Let's see what Johnson's attitude is like today. Will he be very optimistic, or very cautious and pessimistic like he has been in recent weeks?
If you mean June 21st 2022 then I might think you are right. All festivals will have to be capped with a capacity limit, let alone inside gigs. I would also think that a health passport of some kind will be needed to access outdoor events. Seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front. Hold on, oh yeah, elections coming up. Get them over with and watch them ramp up the passport requirements.
I’m cynical and old with a hint of wise, sometimes.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I think any further curtailment on group events will merely end up with court cases against the government

They’ve not produced a shred of evidence for any of this.

Class 33

Established Member
In this press conference, FOUR journalists asking questions about football! Then this one on now asking a totally unrelated question! These press conferences are supposed to be about Coronavirus only, not totally unrelated questions! They need to clamp down on this.

Johnson also mentioned again that there WILL be a third wave in this country. Yes but Johnson, even if there is a significant rise in cases again, this will NOT lead a huge surge in hospital admissions and deaths! So this is just nothing to worry about now!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Johnson recently said some nonsense that "A third wave will wash upon these shores within 3 weeks.". Well that was over a month ago now! He got that wrong! There will be no devastating third wave! Even if cases do rise over the coming months, the link between cases leading to a surge in hospital admissions and deaths has been broken! Those days are long gone!

A Downing Street News Conference today at 5 with Johnson! I have a feeling he will be joined (yet) again by Whitty and Vallance, who will both probably have something negative to say as usual!

Having said that though, I am very very confident that come 21st June the lockdown and all restrictions will be completely scrapped. And about time too! I really can't see how they could justify delaying and dragging this on past that date.
He's rocked up without doom and gloom just an NHS rep. He still reckons there will be a third wave at some point but currently the roadmap remains unaffected. His latest plan is an anti viral taskforce with the view that we will get us to a place that if someone gets covid they will be able to take a pill to manage it. Umm seems vaccines are no longer front of house.

Gove is in Israel so we will be hearing more about vaccine passports but nothing will change for 17th May.

MikeWM

Established Member
His latest plan is an anti viral taskforce with the view that we will get us to a place that if someone gets covid they will be able to take a pill to manage it.

13 months late. Of course, if it turns out that there are effective pills that are something generic - like, say, ivermectin and a lot of vitamin D - then that would have made no money for big pharma or the friends of the Conservative party, and there would be no case for 'vaccine passports', so hardly surprising it has taken this long before any interest is shown.

Also, if it turns out that there was something we could have used all along (such as ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine) then there is a vast amount of unnecessary suffering that has been caused by not going down this route earlier. Of all the scandals and obscenities of the past year, I think this may turn out in retrospect to be one of the most damning.

Umm seems vaccines are no longer front of house.

Gove is in Israel so we will be hearing more about vaccine passports but nothing will change for 17th May.

Starting to feel like these may end up more 'test passports' rather than 'vaccine passports' - which after all was the original point of Operation Moonshot and the idea of 'enabling tests'. They still need utterly resisting either way.

Class 33

Established Member
He's rocked up without doom and gloom just an NHS rep. He still reckons there will be a third wave at some point but currently the roadmap remains unaffected. His latest plan is an anti viral taskforce with the view that we will get us to a place that if someone gets covid they will be able to take a pill to manage it. Umm seems vaccines are no longer front of house.

Well he wasn't too bad today compared to recent press conferences. But still he keeps going on about there will be a third wave sometime this year(over a month ago he said it would "wash up on these shores within 3 weeks!!), and that we tend to follow the course of other countries in Europe. I do wish he would stop going on about that. A lot of countries in Europe are having a hard time with Coronavirus right now, but that's due to them dithering about with the vaccines! We're not going to follow the course they're having as we're doing so well with the vaccines and that's what has got down all these hospital admissions and deaths over the past several weeks.

Current average daily death rate in England is now 22. Some fluctuations of this from day to day, which can be expected. But on a weekly basis, this is still heading down.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Well he wasn't too bad today compared to recent press conferences. But still he keeps going on about there will be a third wave sometime this year(over a month ago he said it would "wash up on these shores within 3 weeks!!), and that we tend to follow the course of other countries in Europe. I do wish he would stop going on about that. A lot of countries in Europe are having a hard time with Coronavirus right now, but that's due to them dithering about with the vaccines! We're not going to follow the course they're having as we're doing so well with the vaccines and that's what has got down all these hospital admissions and deaths over the past several weeks.

Current average daily death rate in England is now 22. Some fluctuations of this from day to day, which can be expected. But on a weekly basis, this is still heading down.
England hospitalised down to 1649 today. Also ONS weekly mortality stat release reports for the fifth week that overall death rate continues below 5yr average rate although still being distorted by Easter so the 11.7% below average numbers will creep up but still hugely positive (well to at least most of us on this forum but not the govt!).

johntea

Established Member
Meanwhile the White House style press conferences have been axed before they even started...what a wonderful waste of £2.6m!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Meanwhile the White House style press conferences have been axed before they even started...what a wonderful waste of £2.6m!
Too many people asking awkward questions, then complaining when the answers avoid actually answering the question?

Loose change in the scheme of things, not that I agree with such waste.

Class 33

Established Member
An article from The Telegraph. Of all the millions vaccinated in the UK there are just 32 people admitted to hospital.....

Exclusive: Just 32 people in hospital with Covid after having vaccination​

Scientists ‘delighted’ with data showing effectiveness of Britain’s jabs programme but Boris Johnson says he will not deviate from roadmap

ByLaura Donnelly, HEALTH EDITOR and Alex Clark20 April 2021 • 9:30pm

Boris Johnson said he saw no reason to deviate from the 'cautious but irreversible' roadmap

Boris Johnson told a press conference that he saw no reason to deviate from the 'cautious but irreversible' route out of lockdown

Just 32 vaccinated people were hospitalised with Covid-19 in recent months, according to “extraordinary” real world data showing the effectiveness of Britain’s jabs programme.
The figure represents a tiny fraction of the more than 74,000 people admitted to hospital with the virus during the time period examined in the study.
Scientists are preparing to hand findings to the Government’s advisers on Thursday, showing the dramatic impact of first doses on hospitalisations and deaths.
It comes after Boris Johnson was questioned at a Downing Street press conference on Tuesday over why the Government does not publish statistics showing the number of Covid-19 hospitalisations and deaths among those who have been vaccinated.
The Prime Minister said “we simply don’t know that data”, but added that he “suspected the number was very small”.
The findings revealed by The Telegraph will however raise questions regarding the Government’s caution about the return to normality, and reluctance to promise any new freedoms for those who have been vaccinated.

On Tuesday, Mr Johnson said he saw no reason to deviate from the “cautious but irreversible” roadmap.
He said “science is helping us to get back towards normality” as he set out aims to develop at least two new treatments that people can take at home if they test positive for Covid-19.

The research on Covid-19 patients admitted to UK hospitals examined the outcomes for all patients – including those who had received at least one jab, and had sufficient time to build immunity. Early findings show that of 74,405 Covid-19 cases admitted to hospitals between September and March, just 32 had received a vaccine at least three weeks before.
Scientists said the findings – which amount to around one case per 2,300 patients – showed that vaccines worked “extraordinarily well”, offering protection far above the levels which had been anticipated.
The full data is due to be handed to ministers later this week, after updated findings are passed to the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Wednesday.
Researcher Prof Calum Semple, from the University of Liverpool, said he was “absolutely delighted” by the results so far.
“This is really important,” he said. “What this shows is that in a real-world situation the vaccines are highly effective. Not only do they work, but they work extraordinarily well”.
The findings were particularly remarkable because they related to those given just one jab, he said, with ongoing studies examining the level of protection achieved by two doses.
Updated results, and detailed analysis by the UK Coronavirus Clinical Characterisation Consortium, are due to be handed to Sage on Wednesday, before being passed to ministers.
The detailed findings will examine the rare cases where those vaccinated did end up in hospital with Covid-19, to establish whether such cases were milder than the cases in the unvaccinated, and whether all deaths were prevented.
Prof Semple said the results gave him confidence in the current route of lockdown, with 10 million people now having had both doses of vaccines.

Previously, data published by Public Health England has suggested that one dose of AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccine prevents against around 80 per cent of hospitalisations, among the over-80s.
And last week, a study by the University of Manchester found that the rate of Covid-19 hospital admissions fell by 75 per cent when vaccinated 80- to 83-year-olds, when compared with their peers, five weeks after getting the Pfizer jab.
Official data on Tuesday showed the number of people in hospital with Covid-19 falling to less than 2,000, for the first time since September.
Deaths have fallen by 24 per cent in the past week, to an average of 33 a day, while the numbers testing positive have fallen by 10 per cent.

Mr Johnson told a Downing Street conference: “We know that this vaccination programme is making a big difference.
“We know that it’s helping to reduce suffering and save lives, potentially on a very big scale. But we don’t yet know the full extent of the protection that we are building up; the exact strength of our defences – and as we look at what is happening in other countries with cases now at record numbers around the world, we cannot delude ourselves that Covid has gone away.”
He said he saw nothing in the current data that led him to believe Britain would have to deviate from the “cautious but irreversible” route out of lockdown.
He added: “The majority of scientific opinion in this country is still firmly of the view that there will be another wave of Covid at some stage this year and so we must – as far as possible – learn to live with this disease, as we live with other diseases.”

liam456

As this is a predictions thread, I’ll make some that others haven’t:

1) some elements of the ‘roadmap’ will be released over this weekend, to keep it in the news

2) by next Monday, infections will still be running at a 7 day average of c 8-9000, and (most importantly), the number of people in hospital with Covid will be c16,000 - which is where we were the week before Christmas, ie still in trouble in that respect. There will still be some parts of the country with 7 day infection rates over 200 per 100,000. There may be a mention of hospitalisations data showing a steady reduction of admissions for the groups who have been vaccinated around 4-6 weeks their group started being immunised. (Latest data from last week shows the first signs of a slight reduction in hospitalisation rates in the over 75s, compared to under 75s for example)

3) there will be at least 3 weeks between each stage - long enough for the effect of the easement to feed through into infection rates

4) each stage of easement will be said to be permanent, ie no going back, hence the need to be cautious.

5) there will be no promise of being able to have big gatherings over Easter. There may well be an easing of restrictions to allow one household to mix with one other household indoors from the end of March.

6) no localised tiers or lockdowns (per nation)

7) fully intend to enable people to have a summer holiday in the UK

8) all restrictions off by the autumn (Informed Sources third law applies)

9) new variants mean, that in the words of Jeeves: “Constant vigilance required, Sir”

^^^^ pretty prophetic so far, BR!

duncanp

Established Member
An article from The Telegraph. Of all the millions vaccinated in the UK there are just 32 people admitted to hospital.....

This is very good news as it will mean that:-

• Hospital admissions and the number of people in hospital should start to decline steeply as more and more people are vaccinated
  • There will be little or no justification for reimposing any restrictions after they are lifted, because even if there is a "..third wave.." or a "..quadruple mutant variant from Outer Mongolia.." in the autumn, the numbers in hospital will be sufficiently low that the NHS can cope.
So I am a lot more hopeful this morning, particularly after the news about clinical trials for various anti COVID drug treatments. I sincerely hope that these trials work, as the drugs could be useful for those who don't want to take a vaccine, for whatever reason.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I don't see what was wrong with the old briefing room. It looked very stately.

Still, Prime Ministers will always like to pretend to be Presidents !

Smidster

It is really encouraging to see the data continue to go in the right direction and even more some of the leading indicators like Zoe / NHS Triage data which is showing just how low prevalence is right now.

All that being said, and in particular this is for Class 33, I hope that people are not pinning too many of their hopes on June 21st as being the day where we pick up from last February.

While I would hope that the roadmap can be completed and there be no legal restrictions on meeting or mandated closures that does not mean there will not be some sort of restrictions or conditions attached. It is very likely that you will still have things like face masks on public transport and the use of either Covid Passports, enforced testing or Social Distancing means that the world is going to be very very different to how it was.

It will be a lot better than it is today but our lives will still be impacted by Covid for a while to come.

androdas

I don't see what was wrong with the old briefing room. It looked very stately.

Still, Prime Ministers will always like to pretend to be Presidents !
It was the state dining room with the furniture chucked out suppose they will need it when Boris can have his mates round for tea. Dont see why they cant just stick a lectern outside the front door like they have for owt important for years.

Yew

Established Member
It is very likely that you will still have things like face masks on public transport and the use of either Covid Passports, enforced testing or Social Distancing means that the world is going to be very very different to how it was.
The phrase "End of all legal restrictions" precludes this.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The phrase "End of all legal restrictions" precludes this.
The phrase is actually

gov roadmap said:

Social contact​

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Which is a big more ambigiuos but seems to be more aimed at numbers allowed to meet

Yew

Established Member
The phrase isn't "end of all legal restrictions" however, it's "remove all legal limits on social contact"
And having vaccine passports, or being forced to wear a useless mask is surely a 'limitation'?

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is really encouraging to see the data continue to go in the right direction and even more some of the leading indicators like Zoe / NHS Triage data which is showing just how low prevalence is right now.

All that being said, and in particular this is for Class 33, I hope that people are not pinning too many of their hopes on June 21st as being the day where we pick up from last February.

While I would hope that the roadmap can be completed and there be no legal restrictions on meeting or mandated closures that does not mean there will not be some sort of restrictions or conditions attached. It is very likely that you will still have things like face masks on public transport and the use of either Covid Passports, enforced testing or Social Distancing means that the world is going to be very very different to how it was.

It will be a lot better than it is today but our lives will still be impacted by Covid for a while to come.
If massively reduced impact on the NHS along with a very successful vaccination programme isn't enough come the start of Summer, then I hope the decision makers are ready for the backlash. Because put simply, social distancing means many businesses will be way below capacity & therefore not generating as much tax revenue. If mask mandation on public transport continues it will give the impression that it is not completely safe and will likely supress a return to anything close to some level of paying for itself, meaning either higher costs for the government to cover it, or more likely a creep of service reductions. And if covid passports play any role in public life, then expect all those people forced into regular testing (which I suspect will not be free for very long) to start pushing back.

Simply put, there has to be a line in the sand. Politicians & experts have been shifting the goalposts so much that had they originally been at Wembley Stadium, they would now located at the Caledonian stadium in Inverness. And with every shift, so fewer & fewer people have patience with them. So its time for the politicians and their shouty experts to stop treating us like nursery school kids & trying to dominate every facet of our lives and let us get back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.