• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6A11 (Robeston Sidings - Theale Murco) on fire near Llanelli (27/08)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
This was the lead story on ITV Wales News for the second night running tonight.

The main concern now seems to be Diesel that has leaked into the river and it's effect on the fish.

Western 52

RTT shows a 0630 Felin Fran to Robeston tomorrow morning. Presumably the undamaged wagons being cleared from Morlais Jct. There's a light loco back to Margam afterwards.

Anonymous10

Established Member
RTT shows a 0630 Felin Fran to Robeston tomorrow morning. Presumably the undamaged wagons being cleared from Morlais Jct. There's a light loco back to Margam afterwards.
As I'm still learning the whole rail definitions what's a light loco

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I’m not even sure Wales Fire have released site to BTP/ORR/RAIB yet

Final fire was reported as being out on the Welsh 1830 news.

Natural Resources Wales are now reporting diesel pollution in the River Loughor.

MotCO

Established Member
Final fire was reported as being out on the Welsh 1830 news.

Natural Resources Wales are now reporting diesel pollution in the River Loughor.

Would most of the diesel be burnt in the fire, so the ground leakage may not be too great.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
West Wales is not cut off. Fortunately the accident happened on the Swansea District Line at the junction where the Heart of Wales Line comes off it to head through the middle of Wales to Shrewsbury - so only those trains would be affected. (This line was already closed by a landslip further north although trains were using it from the south as far as Llandrindod. Assuming the landslip is cleared before the damage caused by this accident, I wonder if they will resume services on the HoW by going from Swansea to Neath and then up to Pontdarrdulais via the chord just east of the accident site)?

The Swansea District Line rejoins the main line at Briton Ferry - just east of Port Talbot. It has been suggested that this line should have a new station by the M4 north of Swansea at Morriston and be used for fast services to/from west Wales.

It is quite possible that Morlais Junction would be blocked due to signalling overlaps and recovery work. Hope I don't sound pedantic but Briton Ferry is to the west of Port Talbot.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Would most of the diesel be burnt in the fire, so the ground leakage may not be too great.

There is obviously enough for NRW to be concerned and certainly photos I have seen of the river the pollution is quite obvious.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Indeed it has , and (luckily) there is now no meaningful coal traffic from Gwaun Cae Gurwen , as that is "isolated" now.

Talking of freight - west of Llanelli the flows can be accommodated via the Landore loop - tank trains being empty in that direction should be OK via Cockett Bank , but the need to serve the tinplate works at Trostre may need special arrangements. Heavy export flows.

Trostre trains are reversing at Genwen Jcn and Llandeilo Jcn thence via Cockett and vice versa

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not sure about that - when was the last train crash that involved an excursion into a non railway building?

Probably Morpeth about 30+ years ago?

NB If we wish to discuss this aspect further, a new thread would be the best place to continue it.

alangla

Probably Morpeth about 30+ years ago?

NB If we wish to discuss this aspect further, a new thread would be the best place to continue it.
Last comment, but the Largs buffer over-run in 1995 demolished 2 shops, most of the station and the 318 ended up at a taxi rank

1955LR

Interestingly in pic. 1 , the one wheel on one axle has come adrift and is now next to the opposite wheel , not sure if its the intense heat or impact force, One for the RAIB I guess

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Indeed and look how worn that four foot rail in the second picture is.
I assume you're referring to the six-foot rail in the foreground. While that might suggest general track condition is poor, I should point out that piece of track wasn't involved in the derailment.
Interestingly in pic. 1 , the one wheel on one axle has come adrift and is now next to the opposite wheel , not sure if its the intense heat or impact force, One for the RAIB I guess
Could conceivably be the cause of derailment, though losing a right-hand wheel would probably send the train to the right not the left. Distinguishing the cause from the post-accident damage is a task for RAIB.

Assuming wagons are numbered in order from the front, which is consistent with the original aerial view, the fire would appear to have been centred on wagons 2 and 3. The front of 3 has a dent which is consistent with contact with a buffer from 2, but doesn't appear to be a puncture. I'd be interested to see the front of 2, particularly as 1 is missing a buffer that might have punctured the tank of 2.

andy1571

Not sure about that - when was the last train crash that involved an excursion into a non railway building?

I seem to recall 86239 damaged (albeit lightly) the house it ended up against in the Rickerscote accident (1996)

Last edited:

2HAP

Probably heat. The same thing happened in the Summit Tunnel fire.

JKF

I saw what I presume to have been this set passing through Horfield Junction on Tuesday afternoon with the reverse empties working (25 tanks, and the order of colours match). I did make a video on my phone which I’ve uploaded if anybody wants to make out the order of vehicles and deduce anything from that. Some of them do look quite scruffy.

(Apologies for the wind noise, was a stormy day)

father_jack

I saw what I presume to have been this set passing through Horfield Junction on Tuesday afternoon with the reverse empties working (25 tanks, and the order of colours match). I did make a video on my phone which I’ve uploaded if anybody wants to make out the order of vehicles and deduce anything from that. Some of them do look quite scruffy.

(Apologies for the wind noise, was a stormy day)
What goes on down below the tank is in fairness, rigorously checked. Tanks themselves have a set testing regime but the outside look of them will make little real difference.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A train has just arrived from Eastleigh conveying several long flat wagons and one conveying a large crane. 2x66 TNT

Status
Not open for further replies.