• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Lioness

More trainee jobs are apprenticeship schemes these days. The companies gave incentive to take on trainees. Cynic in me says maybe the Gov want to suppress wages by reducing Qualified Drivers jumping across companies
I’ve seen trainee roles advertised as Driver apprenticeship schemes and assume it is to do with funding. Do trainees receive any formal qualifications when completing the course?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Minimum age to drive trains is 21 although you can begin training aged 20. I was 23 when I became a trainee off the street and the age range of trainees is fairly broad. If you've got what they're looking for you have as much chance as anyone else.

Stigy

Established Member
1. I understand that if you fail the parametrics test, you cannot apply for another TOC until 6 months has passed. I've read somewhere that it's the same case with the MMI (Multimodal Interview) - why is this? Couldn't someone just be nervous for the MMI on the day and have a bad day? It wouldn't effect their ability to drive? 6 months seems like a big consequence for failing your MMI.

2. Why do TOCs advertise for trainee driver positions - when they can advertise for Qualified Driver positions and just keep them in a talent pool? I would've thought there would be plenty of qualified drivers about to fill in the gaps for those approaching retirement.

3. Is there some sort of age bias for trainee train driver positions? I'm saying this because I'm currently 20 years old and most drivers I've seen do not tend to me around this age. Part of me believes this may be due to experience in a working environment, more specifically a more responsible role.

1. The psychometric tests include the MMI, and it’s standard across the board to wait 6 months for a resit. This isn’t just the case with psychometric assessments, usually you have to wait 6 months to apply for the same job with the same company. Admittedly it’s standardised for the psychometric to include any trainee driver vacancy, whoever it’s for.

2. Companies could quite easily recruit qualified drivers in some areas, but I’d imagine it’s not as easy as recruiting trainees, as there are thousands of people wanting trainee positions, and not necessarily the same amount of qualified drivers. Also, with Apprenticeship Drivers now a thing, the government foot the bill so it’s a win win.

3. There’s no age bias as such, but you have to be at least 21 to qualify for a European Train Driving Licence. It’s sometimes easier to get through interviews etc with a few experiences to draw up on of course, which sometimes come with vast employment history and life experiences.

TrainDaz

Hello everyone,

I applied for the LNER driver role in January and got to the video interview stage last week, recording myself answering 6 questions (like a mini MMI). I am playing the waiting game and have my fingers crossed for a face-to-face Microsoft Teams interview.

A requirement for the apprenticeship is to have a GCSE English and Maths grade C or equivalent, IT is desirable. I have discovered that my IT and English grades are fine though I only have a functional skills maths level 1 passed (thinking I had passed level 2) and a GCSE grade D in Maths. I am feeling a little down about it as I already feel like I might be wasting my time. I do however have a college BTEC National diploma and a university business degree. I would of course be open about this during my time to ask questions at the end of the interview should I be invited to one.

My questions is has anyone on this thread managed to become a train driver despite not meeting the grade in maths or english?
I was thinking of enrolling onto a level 2 functional skills Maths course at my local college, or perhaps LNER would put me through one?
Or will a degree perhaps be sufficient enough evidence for the apprenticeship course?

Wishful thinking I know but I thought I'd ask people from experience. Thanks in advance.

NorthernTech

Hello everyone,

I applied for the LNER driver role in January and got to the video interview stage last week, recording myself answering 6 questions (like a mini MMI). I am playing the waiting game and have my fingers crossed for a face-to-face Microsoft Teams interview.

A requirement for the apprenticeship is to have a GCSE English and Maths grade C or equivalent, IT is desirable. I have discovered that my IT and English grades are fine though I only have a functional skills maths level 1 passed (thinking I had passed level 2) and a GCSE grade D in Maths. I am feeling a little down about it as I already feel like I might be wasting my time. I do however have a college BTEC National diploma and a university business degree. I would of course be open about this during my time to ask questions at the end of the interview should I be invited to one.

My questions is has anyone on this thread managed to become a train driver despite not meeting the grade in maths or english?
I was thinking of enrolling onto a level 2 functional skills Maths course at my local college, or perhaps LNER would put me through one?
Or will a degree perhaps be sufficient enough evidence for the apprenticeship course?

Wishful thinking I know but I thought I'd ask people from experience. Thanks in advance.
Oddly, despite the btec or degree, it’s the gcse or equivalent that I believe they need to provide the funding and access to the apprenticeship. You’d think having a degree would supersede that but no, it’s the 3 GCSE’s of maths, English and IT or equivalent. I don’t think they will put you through it, I could be corrected on that though..

Can you not pay to sit FS level2? Even if you don't get a result in time for this recruitment drive you could at least have Functional Skills 2 in the bag for future opportunities, with LNER or any other TOC.
Hello everyone,

Oddly, despite the btec or degree, it’s the gcse or equivalent that I believe they need to provide the funding and access to the apprenticeship. You’d think having a degree would supersede that but no, it’s the 3 GCSE’s of maths, English and IT or equivalent. I don’t think they will put you through it, I could be corrected on that though..

TrainDaz

Can you not pay to sit FS level2? Even if you don't get a result in time for this recruitment drive you could at least have Functional Skills 2 in the bag for future opportunities, with LNER or any other TOC.
Thank you both for the swift reply. I am leaning towards getting in touch with the local college as it is the right thing to do. On the other hand, having done some more research on this site, some TOCs put you through a week of functional skills at the start of the course. Perhaps I should just focus on getting through the interview and psychometric stage first?

First-world problems eh!

S-Car-Go

Thank you both for the swift reply. I am leaning towards getting in touch with the local college as it is the right thing to do. On the other hand, having done some more research on this site, some TOCs put you through a week of functional skills at the start of the course. Perhaps I should just focus on getting through the interview and psychometric stage first?

First-world problems eh!
Indeed, the apprenticeship people do a week of functional skills (english, maths, IT). I had GCSEs A-C in the 1st 2, but never did IT. So they do a 2 day condensed course on IT and then give you the functional skills test. I was exempt from the other tests because I could produce my GCSE certfificates. A trainee colleague from overseas had a degree but that was not accepted and had to do all the classes and all the tests.

From what I heard from others, the TOCs put the trainees through it. They pass or don't pass the apprenticeship makes no difference. The TOC still has an employee (that is spending significant time and money on) that has gone through its training programme. The apprenticeship is to get its tax rebate!

It seems to be a bit hit and miss with the apprentice schemes. I'm with GWR and not doing one but other TOCs and possibly other courses with GWR are. The same was true with Network Rail

Regarding the apprentice schemes itself, companies over a certain size (in terms of their payroll) have to pay into an Apprenticeship levy. If they take on apprentices then they can use this money to train them (not pay them). If they don't take on any apprentices then they lose the money. That's my understanding - the Government doesn't provide any additional funding

Stefano.Stella

Hi, i'm Steven Star and i live in Italy now, near Verona.
I'm a train driver since 2017 for Trenitalia S.p.a.
My wife was a nurse in Leicester and she will return in Uk to work.

How can i become a train driver in Uk being already a train driver here in italy?
Now whit brexit is a problem?
I speak simple english but i have some problem speaking it.

thank you so much for you time for me.

Steven Star

NorthernTech

Hi, i'm Steven Star and i live in Italy now, near Verona.
I'm a train driver since 2017 for Trenitalia S.p.a.
My wife was a nurse in Leicester and she will return in Uk to work.

How can i become a train driver in Uk being already a train driver here in italy?
Now whit brexit is a problem?
I speak simple english but i have some problem speaking it.

thank you so much for you time for me.

Steven Star
I believe that even though the train driving license in the uk is called a European Train Driving License I don’t think your qualification is compatible with the uk so, as mentioned above, you’d need to start here as a trainee. Trenitalia though is involved in the UK train company ‘Avanti’ here (First Trenitalia), so you may want to contact them and see if there is any options internally. You may need to do some English study if your English is not that strong perhaps. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
I guess if you did apply for a trainee position, if you made the papersift and passed psychometric testing, you’d stand a fair chance of being offered a role
I'd suggest one of the main sticking points may be relocation- if you're already in the UK and looking for a job it would probably be easier to get a role than if you're still living in Italy but looking for jobs in the UK. However that would be a pretty big leap of faith!

If your spoken English is a bit basic you might find that a good area to improve on, as you'll need to be proficient in English to pass the required assessments and communicate as a driver.

Albagubrath

Hello everyone,

I wouldn’t worry about it. Part of the apprenticeship is getting you the required Maths, English and functional skills grade. If you don’t have the required grade the company running the apprenticeship on behalf of the TOC put you through it. It takes 2 days to get the qualification.

TrainDaz

I wouldn’t worry about it. Part of the apprenticeship is getting you the required Maths, English and functional skills grade. If you don’t have the required grade the company running the apprenticeship on behalf of the TOC put you through it. It takes 2 days to get the qualification.
That's great to hear. Thank you for your response. :smile::D

Diesel1985

Hello everyone,

Yes my other half joined in may last year. She had to do some functional skill training/exams in maths and IT

richfoz84

Hello everyone,

Hi.
I got taken on with a grade D at GCSE maths. 2 others on my intake the same. We all sat the functional skills maths test, and failed. We sat it a 2nd time and passed. So don’t worry! It won’t stop you getting a job!!

TrainDaz

Hi.
I got taken on with a grade D at GCSE maths. 2 others on my intake the same. We all sat the functional skills maths test, and failed. We sat it a 2nd time and passed. So don’t worry! It won’t stop you getting a job!!
Thank you Diesel and Rich for your reply. Just out of curiosity, which TOC trained you?

NorthernTech

I know some companies ask for proof of the GCSE’s or equivalent early on to continue in the process

S-Car-Go

Hi All, This will most likely be the daftest of questions but what happens if a driver needs the toilet?
This is a good question, and part of developing your non-technical skills. I go to the loo a little more often. Might be just after I book on, or after 1st train of the day on arrival in London etc. Yuu have 1 or 2 official breaks in the shift but there are other gaps of 10-30mins here and there for turnarounds (use train loo), coupling/uncoupling (use station loo), etc.
In the rare case when you unexpectedly get caught short, had a dodgy mutton vindaloo last night etc, you stop the train, contact the signaller, explain the situation and use the train loo. You are blocking the line at this point, so they will need to know why and maybe route other trains around you if it's busy.

si_145653

This is a good question, and part of developing your non-technical skills. I go to the loo a little more often. Might be just after I book on, or after 1st train of the day on arrival in London etc. Yuu have 1 or 2 official breaks in the shift but there are other gaps of 10-30mins here and there for turnarounds (use train loo), coupling/uncoupling (use station loo), etc.
In the rare case when you unexpectedly get caught short, had a dodgy mutton vindaloo last night etc, you stop the train, contact the signaller, explain the situation and use the train loo. You are blocking the line at this point, so they will need to know why and maybe route other trains around you if it's busy.

Thanks for this. I seem to go to loo more often than most so this was actually a genuine concern of mine. Plenty more opportunities than I thought tbf.

NorthernTech

I’d imagine this is quite different if you are doing Freight! No station stops, no onboard toilets..

Albagubrath

Hi.
Wouldn’t worry about the Functional Skills Rubbish! If you don’t pass it you will still become a driver you just won’t get the Apprentice Qualification that will be of no benefit to you anyway if you see driving trains as your life long career!!

I’d imagine this is quite different if you are doing Freight! No station stops, no onboard toilets..

You have plenty of time sitting in loops on your own to be able to do the toilet! Much easier than a passenger service driver!

Thanks for this. I seem to go to loo more often than most so this was actually a genuine concern of mine. Plenty more opportunities than I thought tbf.
Should be a concern as you don’t get the chance to go! You can be as little as 1-2 minutes in a station. Every minute is money so don’t think it’s just as easy as nipping to the loo when you pull into a station!

Last edited:

SLee

I’m currently a tram driver, we face similar shift patterns to the trains and need to concentrate constantly and also spend most of our time sat down.

So what changes did you make in life when starting in this career? This could be useful for new ones to hear.

For me I went from a very physical job burning plenty of calories in a working day to this job where I now burn very few.

I’m really into my fitness anyway and weightlifting so taking the shift in energy expenditure into consideration I quickly adjusted my diet slashing the calories considerably.

I also made sure I get plenty of fruit and veg more than ever and also made changes my workout schedule to include more cardio.

I also bought some really nice comfortable and expensive bedding along with some top quality black out blinds.

I really feel this has helped me to to stay healthy, maintain a good physique, be able to concentrate for long periods of time at work and also be able to get the sleep I need when I need it for the ever changing shift pattern.

Fishplate22

Wouldn’t worry about the Functional Skills Rubbish! If you don’t pass it you will still become a driver you just won’t get the Apprentice Qualification that will be of no benefit to you anyway if you see driving trains as your life long career!!

You have plenty of time sitting in loops on your own to be able to do the toilet! Much easier than a passenger service driver!

Should be a concern as you don’t get the chance to go! You can be as little as 1-2 minutes in a station. Every minute is money so don’t think it’s just as easy as nipping to the loo when you pull into a station!
Drivers definitely nip to the loo from the cab if they really need to I wouldn’t let that be an issue for just try drink less and force yourself to use a toilet when you have time at a station even if you don’t quite need to there and then

Greeny1

Its a viable question for sure, I can also be the same. Weirdly enough, since I had my herniated disc a few years back (its not of concern anymore as its easily manageable and over time it doesn't inflame very easily as it used to) i went to the toilet a lot more, again its better than what it used to be but its like my bladder has shrunk. Definitely need to feel confident there are options there.

Arvi

hi
just wondering is being a train driver a relatively secure job ? i am nearly 50 and being offered a job as a train driver. want to jump to the opportunity but i am afraid that i may leave a current relatively secure job [though not satisfying] and get into into something that is not secure. this is the last situation i want to be at this age. i fully understand that in life nothing is guaranteed please advice guys.