• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A HST to be used in Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

william.martin

On Moderation
Moderator note: Split from
Why on earth are they going to Mexico?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Why on earth are they going to Mexico?
uk.railway (https://uk.railway.narkive.com/QukH6FjD/hst-to-mexico) says
A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!

<https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>

Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
to save construction costs.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

TheSeeker

I wonder how maintainance, spare parts, wheel turning and all the day to day problems will be dealt with. Driver training springs to mind.

Geeves

Established Member
Things you would never believe would happen part 45, catching a HST from Cancun for a trip down the Gulf of Mexico coast

RichJF

Saw this mentioned on WNXX a couple of days ago & thought it was a typo or joke!

Not something I expected!

Iskra

Established Member
Things you would never believe would happen part 45, catching a HST from Cancun for a trip down the Gulf of Mexico coast
Now there’s an idea…

Freight HST’s and now Mexican ones to add to the list of unlikely happenings.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Will these be the fastest trains in all of Mexico?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Will these be the fastest trains in all of Mexico?
Linespeed is reputedly going to be 160km/h and I believe that the old Nacional system was 110 max, so on either historic or current measures - would seem so.

LLivery

Established Member
A number of HST vehicles, including former gWr power cars and ex-LNER
carriages, have moved from Ely to Great Yarmouth to be exported to Mexico!

<https://twitter.com/clinnick1/status/1687161141678522386>

Apparently they will be used on the Tren Maya line, currently being built
in the tourist area of the Yucatan Peninsula south of Cancun; which in an
all too familiar tale, has been downgraded from electric to diesel traction
to save construction costs.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

I was in Mexico in May, and I was lucky enough to see some construction of Tren Maya along the Valladolid corridor. Some OHLE was already up - never in a million years thought I'd see an HST running along there.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Quite a mixture of GWR, VTEC and EMT former GC refurbished coaches they’ve got there, all with very different layouts indeed. I wonder if they will do up the rake so that they have a matching interior?

I am no lover of HSTs but you have to doff your hat to the engineering and design teams who developed them that after 50 years they are seen as still having a future as far away as Mexico.
Well, the 1938 stock lasted until 2021, and that wasn’t a groundbreaking design I don’t think. There is something to be said for robustness, but the engine making up the vast proportion of the power cars was of course replaced by a completely new (much tamer) one fifteen years ago.

DelW

Established Member
Well, the 1938 stock lasted until 2021, and that wasn’t a groundbreaking design I don’t think.
In its own way, the 1938 stock was groundbreaking, being the first deep-tube stock to have all the electrical equipment below floor level.

The previous generation, often called "standard" stock, with an electrical compartment behind the cab, lasted until 1990 on the Isle of Wight, by which time they were around 60 years old. (Build dates were between 1923 and 1934.)

So (to try to get back on topic) these HSTs will have to last a while yet to beat either.

Trackman

Established Member
I wonder how maintainance, spare parts, wheel turning and all the day to day problems will be dealt with. Driver training springs to mind.
I was thinking that, HSTs can be troublesome and fault finding something else.
Hope they have plenty of spares.

Atomix330

You can imagine that in 2094, a slightly barmy enthusiast with more money than sense, will decide to repatriate these dinosaurs from Mexico...

ExRes

Established Member
The way I read it is that these are stopgap until the X'trapolis units are built, delivered, tested, stored, retested, delayed a bit more, shipped to Worksop, stored a bit more by El Harry, shipped back to Mexico, have Tacometers fitted, tested again and maybe signed off for service after the first one has been named Chihuahua Castle, so the HSTs should only be needed until 2028/29 or so

On Moderation
In its own way, the 1938 stock was groundbreaking, being the first deep-tube stock to have all the electrical equipment below floor level.

The previous generation, often called "standard" stock, with an electrical compartment behind the cab, lasted until 1990 on the Isle of Wight, by which time they were around 60 years old. (Build dates were between 1923 and 1934.)

So (to try to get back on topic) these HSTs will have to last a while yet to beat either.
I doubt 38 stock had anything like the demanding duty cycle the HST fleet has. Some power cars have done over 10 million miles.

tomuk

Established Member
I assume the HSTs are for work trains to move the workers around the 1500km new line that is to be electrified and run by a batch of Alstom xtraopolis EMUs.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
If anyone had this on their 2023 bingo card, could they perhaps give me Saturday's lottery numbers too?

MotCO

Established Member
One assumes that Mexico has standard gauge track, if not, new wheel sets will be required.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I’m planning to go to the World Cup in Mexico so will add this to the “to do” list
The nearest Tren Maya gets to any of the venues is around 900km, so you’ll need to plan accordingly, the railway being predominately on the Yucatan peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.