• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

dgl

Established Member
They prey on the guilty feelings of elderly people who don’t want to leave a problem for their offspring. It’s one of those situations where a frank conversation needs to be had.
So glad my Gran had that sorted years ago as it saved so much work when she passed, especially as my Mum hadn't had to deal with anything like that before and the Undertakers were able to help her sort out a lot of things.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was certainly the case when my dad passed away. His bank asked to see the death certificate and the bill from the funeral director and they issued a bankers' draught right away.

I am surprised that these over 50s policies are actually permitted, but there are a few companies that advertising them; Sun Life and Royal London are the two main ones I've seen adverts for, but I'm fairly sure I've seen the Post Office offering something similar.
I have recent experience. My wife died two months ago, intestate, and her two bank accounts, both with the same bank, contained c £4,000. The funeral expenses were for a bit less than that (the 'wake' was paid for separately) and her Bank Manager agreed to settle the bill directly with the funeral director. She also agreed to pay in a cheque that had been issued before my wife's death in her name that I hadn't been able to deal with. Actually, having also had a joint business account these last 34 years I'm becoming a bit of an expert on the intricacies and occasional surprises of the British banking system in relation to death of account holders. My experiences of obtaining Probate exactly 25 years ago compared to now are to compare a system that worked well and relatively simply to one now overcomplicated to the nth degree, where unnecessary delay is almost taken for granted and pedantry rules. A metaphor for the UK in 2022!

Jimini

Established Member
I have recent experience. My wife died two months ago, intestate, and her two bank accounts, both with the same bank, contained c £4,000. The funeral expenses were for a bit less than that (the 'wake' was paid for separately) and her Bank Manager agreed to settle the bill directly with the funeral director. She also agreed to pay in a cheque that had been issued before my wife's death in her name that I hadn't been able to deal with. Actually, having also had a joint business account these last 34 years I'm becoming a bit of an expert on the intricacies and occasional surprises of the British banking system in relation to death of account holders. My experiences of obtaining Probate exactly 25 years ago compared to now are to compare a system that worked well and relatively simply to one now overcomplicated to the nth degree, where unnecessary delay is almost taken for granted and pedantry rules. A metaphor for the UK in 2022!

Sorry for your loss, chap.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I’ve just watched a Thai cab ride video on YouTube made by a Thai driver and featuring the splendid GE UMC 12 locos. The pop up adverts during the film,Remitly etc are spoken in Thai. You can’t get away from them.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I’ve just watched a Thai cab ride video on YouTube made by a Thai driver and featuring the splendid GE UMC 12 locos. The pop up adverts during the film,Remitly etc are spoken in Thai. You can’t get away from them.
Does what's on "YouTube" count as live TV? :s

duncanp

Established Member
Another annoying advert on TV is that for Windows 11.

From what I can see, there is nothing special about Windows 11 that makes it substantially better than Windows 10, and yet the advert makes out that Windows 11 is some miracle piece of software that will enable you to pick next week's lottery numbers.

And I can't "upgrade" my current laptop to Windows 11, so will have to purchase a new one when Windows 10 is "...no longer supported..." <(<(

Anyone would think that Microsoft are doing this deliberately, to keep the cash rolling in.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Another annoying advert on TV is that for Windows 11.

From what I can see, there is nothing special about Windows 11 that makes it substantially better than Windows 10, and yet the advert makes out that Windows 11 is some miracle piece of software that will enable you to pick next week's lottery numbers.

And I can't "upgrade" my current laptop to Windows 11, so will have to purchase a new one when Windows 10 is "...no longer supported..." <(<(

Anyone would think that Microsoft are doing this deliberately, to keep the cash rolling in.
Microsoft essentially exists to produce mediocre software that they have made the industry standard through various questionable/illegal business practices in the past, then find increasingly onerous ways of forcing people to continue using it so they can continue to take a cut of almost every non-Mac computer sale in the world.

The world would be a far, far better place without them.

Jimini

Established Member
This advert for DS Automobiles is back. Might sound like an old fuddy duddy here (I'm 41!), but I've always adored Dvořák's ninth symphony, and to hear it being butchered like this genuinely makes me flick the channel over temporarily when it comes on :frown:

Paul Jones 88

Not so much adverts but constantly repeating trailers for other shows at either end of the adverts, just so tedious, especially when the shows concerned are of no interest to me, I've got a television guide for that, I know what else is available to view.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Last month, we were told the meerkat adverts would be pulled for association because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Why, then, am I seeing the annoying things more frequently than previously?!
Those adverts are annoying, but pulling them because they have (poorly executed) "Russian" accents is something that feels a bit wrong. I thought we'd moved on from tarring an entire nationality with the same brush as their leader.

See also, bookshops removing Tolstoy and Dostoevsky from their shelves; and the Canadian restaurant which renamed their own country's national dish (Poutine) because an idiot might associate it with Russia's leader. :rolleyes:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not so much adverts but constantly repeating trailers for other shows at either end of the adverts, just so tedious, especially when the shows concerned are of no interest to me, I've got a television guide for that, I know what else is available to view.
I just happened to have ITV on at 9pm. After the adverts there was a long trailer for the very next programme. Then a continuity announcer came on, with a spiel about exactly the same next programme. Why are both needed?

The adverts that have really annoyed me for many many years, are those Coca-Cola 'holidays are coming' ones they show sometime before Christmas.

I wonder how much energy is used up by a multitude of gas guzzling lorries all lit up, and just to advertise a fizzy drink which is available all year round.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It would make for "interesting televiewing" if the adverting agency who thought up the Experian TV advert set in a vetinery surgery were to take part in a programme where the "creative genius" who thought up the idea was also sat in a chair with a rocket motor under it and was without any protective headgear or oxygen supply, blasted head first through the ceiling and roof and placed into the reaches of the stratosphere.

duncanp

Established Member
Those adverts are annoying, but pulling them because they have (poorly executed) "Russian" accents is something that feels a bit wrong. I thought we'd moved on from tarring an entire nationality with the same brush as their leader.

See also, bookshops removing Tolstoy and Dostoevsky from their shelves; and the Canadian restaurant which renamed their own country's national dish (Poutine) because an idiot might associate it with Russia's leader. :rolleyes:
"Poutine" is the way that Vladimir Putin's name is spelt in French, so in a French speaking country a it is possible that someone could associate it with the Russian leader.

No need to rename the dish though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"Poutine" is the way that Vladimir Putin's name is spelt in French, so in a French speaking country a it is possible that someone could associate it with the Russian leader.

No need to rename the dish though.
I'd have assumed that the French would say "Putin" in a way that sounds very much like a not-very-nice word in French! :lol:

duncanp

Established Member
I'd have assumed that the French would say "Putin" in a way that sounds very much like a not-very-nice word in French! :lol:
Putain is a rude word in French, which you couldn't possibly translate into English on this forum.

No doubt people in France have noticed the similarity.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The one annoying me at the moment is an M&S one where there having a long interview with several farmers. Nice concept, but after what seems like ten minutes doing something else I find myself looking at the screen and thinking "is this advert still going !"

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Post #566...

I have just seen an Experian TV advert where a man sitting quietly in a waiting room is unaware that an ejector seat had been fitted to the seat that he was sat in and suddenly, without any warning, the ejector seat activated and he was blasted through the ceiling and the roof of the building. He was then next seen with a dazed facial expression, no doubt caused by the severe head trauma that he had just suffered. What on earth did Experian hope to achieve by showing such a stupid advert?

Post #613...

It would make for "interesting televiewing" if the adverting agency who thought up the Experian TV advert set in a vetinery surgery were to take part in a programme where the "creative genius" who thought up the idea was also sat in a chair with a rocket motor under it and was without any protective headgear or oxygen supply, blasted head first through the ceiling and roof and placed into the reaches of the stratosphere.

Take it that you don't like that particular advert. ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's a gambling advert which involves lots of dogs barking to a 1980's soul tune which is getting to grate. Maybe not being a "dog person", when I see them growling and barking, I'm reminded of the wolf lurking underneath the domesticated exterior !

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The one that's airing quite frequently just now, suggesting that using 'Deliveroo' is a good option if you've forgotten to buy a bottle of milk on your way home.

How much would that quite possibly cost you, exactly?

py_megapixel

Established Member
How much would that quite possibly cost you, exactly?
Can't be exact, but over £8 if a recent TV programme is to be believed. Some of the Deliveroo orders I see being packed in the local Co-op woud only cost a few pounds.
I was curious so tried putting together an order. Got the following:

1652983935281.png

Image shows part of the checkout page for ordering a bottle of milk on Deliveroo. The milk costs £1.05, but a £2 'small order fee', £2.49 delivery fee, 99p service charge and 10p charge for single-use carrier bags together bring the total to £6.63.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was curious so tried putting together an order. Got the following:

View attachment 114980

Image shows part of the checkout page for ordering a bottle of milk on Deliveroo. The milk costs £1.05, but a £2 'small order fee', £2.49 delivery fee, 99p service charge and 10p charge for single-use carrier bags together bring the total to £6.63.
Caveat emptor.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The milk costs £1.05, but a £2 'small order fee', £2.49 delivery fee, 99p service charge and 10p charge for single-use carrier bags together bring the total to £6.63.
Thanks for having a look at that. Despite UK inflation approaching/reaching double digits, over six quid for a couple of pints of milk does seem a tad expensive. o_O

Ediswan

Established Member
Thanks for having a look at that. Despite UK inflation approaching/reaching double digits, over six quid for a couple of pints of milk does seem a tad expensive. o_O
Today I asked the staff in the local Co-op if this really happens. They said yes. The smallest order they recalled was a packet of cigarette papers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There have been programmes about how people can become addicted to gambling and quite rightly, it is stressed that the addiction can be an illness in itself.

That being the case, the recent Sky Bingo advert is in very poor taste indeed, as it features four of those unfortunate gambling addicts who all look forward to bingo in preference to living a normal lifestyle.

colchesterken

I think we should put the clock back 50 yrs, in the old days you had to join 48 hrs before gambling, stopped drunk people spending more than they could afford. as for credit any sniff of credit could lead to loss of licence
I was working for a PLC in 1979 when most of the London clubs were raided by police for credit and membership irregularities some lost licences
Now we have , free bets, credit cards, no old fashioned membership. gambling should be like smoking, legal but not encouraged