• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
My current 'Unfavourite' ad is the Cravendale one with various people singing in the open countryside. I'm no great singer but have been in church choirs on and off for approaching 70 years, and find the mix of voices just don't match. Very irksome!

Intercity110

On Moderation
OMAZE is my least favourite advert because in small text it says the minimum donation is £100,000 which means you have to either donate £100,000 to win, so you don’t earn anything, or you have to donate the £100,000 when you’ve won it, and the music in the background is annoying

Ediswan

Established Member
OMAZE is my least favourite advert because in small text it says the minimum donation is £100,000 which means you have to either donate £100,000 to win, so you don’t earn anything, or you have to donate the £100,000 when you’ve won it, and the music in the background is annoying
I read that as OMAZE will donate a minimum of £100,000 to whichever good cause their latest lottery is associated with, not as an obligation on the winner.

Typhoon

Established Member
I read that as OMAZE will donate a minimum of £100,000 to whichever good cause their latest lottery is associated with, not as an obligation on the winner.
I'm sure this has come up before.

From the Omaze website:
Where does your Entry Fee go?

If you make a monetary payment to us to enter the Prize Draw (an “Entry Fee”), Omaze will donate at least 80% of the Net Proceeds to the applicable Charity (each a “Donation”) with a guaranteed minimum Donation of £100,000 irrespective of sales. “Net Proceeds” means your Entry Fee, minus the costs associated with providing the Prizes, and the reasonable costs of marketing, advertising and operating the Prize Draw. In relation to the Million Pound House Draw - London II Prize Draw, British Heart Foundation, (a registered charity in England and Wales (225971) and in Scotland (SC039426) (“Charity”) will be the beneficiary of the Donation as outlined in these Experience Rules.
My underlining. I would say that means you are correct.

https://omaze.co.uk/pages/experienc..._id=&msclkid=ef361bb75c781e8c58f878448ca1c75e

It's right down at the bottom of the page.

Personally, not my sort of houses at all, give me a two bed semi any day.

Steddenm

"Sky Glass. Smarter than a smart TV."

Sky Glass is a smart TV!
Technically it isn't. It's a FAST TV with smart capability as all the Sky packaged channels (including those from the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and in Ireland, RTÉ. TG4 and Virgin Media) are streamed in the FAST network system.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Technically it isn't. It's a FAST TV with smart capability as all the Sky packaged channels (including those from the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 and in Ireland, RTÉ. TG4 and Virgin Media) are streamed in the FAST network system.
I have no idea what "FAST" stands for in this context, but if it's a TV with internet streaming capability (which it clearly is, the adverts say so!) then it's a smart TV.

Ediswan

Established Member
The F in FAST stands for 'free'. Sky Glass charges a subscription.

Ostrich

The new Tesco Clubcard advert featuring the lady with the BIG eyes and SCARY grin. o_O
Hide under your beds now! If ever an advert should be +18 rated .......

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The new Tesco Clubcard advert featuring the lady with the BIG eyes and SCARY grin. o_O
Hide under your beds now! If ever an advert should be +18 rated .......

Have to agree with that succinct analysis...

Tesco.jpeg
Screengrab from current Tesco Clubcard advert/campaign

Adverts which promote gambling are also a serious pain in the butt as they can lead people to choose the wrong path, become addictive to gambling and end up in serious debt.

These adverts should be banned.

I think that the adverts should be all broadcast on 1 channel specifically set up for them which would hopefully take them off the main channels ITV, Channel 4 etc

Typhoon

Established Member
Have to agree with that succinct analysis...

View attachment 130726
Screengrab from current Tesco Clubcard advert/campaign
I too have seen the whole thing. My instant reaction was 'who in their right mind would think this would attract anyone to shopping at Tesco?' - except for viewers of the 'Legend' channel.

As regards the actress, I can only assume that work has completely dried up.

Northumbriana

I too have seen the whole thing. My instant reaction was 'who in their right mind would think this would attract anyone to shopping at Tesco?' - except for viewers of the 'Legend' channel.

I'd guess any unknown actor doing adverts isn't in a position to be picky.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Not a necessarily annoying ad, but when I was streaming something on the UKTV Play app the other day, during the ad breaks there were two public health ads that were solely in Welsh.

The only explanation I can think of is that I must have connected to a server somewhere in Wales. Being as I reside in Scotland, any non English ads I would expect to be in Gaelic.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

These new Tesco adverts that we're talking about... right at the end of it, is that the same annoying bloke who does the adverts for one of the online car dealerships...? Cazoo or Clinch or something like that?

Typhoon

Established Member
he does it for cinch, and his ads are all horrible
You are not talking about 'Rylan' by any chance. If so, it was the 'all ads are all horrible' that gave it away. Mind you that applies to Schofield as well but he is fairly well known.

We buy any car and the motorway have become the latest ads to add to the list of annoying ads on tv.

duncanp

Established Member
We buy any car and the motorway have become the latest ads to add to the list of annoying ads on tv.

As have all the ads for Over 50s Life Insurance, particularly the one for British Seniors.

I can't stand the smug self satisfied actors peddling one of the worst value for money financial products on the market.

Life insurance ads just annoy me that much, I often feel like I want to throw something at the screen or shout profanities at it which often ends up being the result.

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
The current M&S ad for clothing. Enola Gay. Again. Not very original. Also, do ad creators pay any attention to the lyrics of songs they select.

colchesterken

All the adverts on GB news the same ones over and over again
No point in the Welsh adverts in Essex I could not get a carpet delivered, or go to the Jewelry shop