• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Class 700’s really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fincra5

Established Member
Most Stock are being retrofitted with tables and Plug sockets

The trains aren't meant to be used all the way from Cambridge to Brighton otherwise more long distance stock would've been ordered. It is more of a get on get off whenever sort of service

Anyway First Class seats are slightly different I believe.
No they aren't. Only a select number were, ridiculously.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
No more 700s will be fitted with tables. They won't be getting plug sockets in standard either.
Bizarre that they didn't do all the 12 cars at least. I was on a 12 car last Friday, which was operating the "full length" Brighton to Bedford service, and it had no tables or WiFi.

I was also surprised yesterday that waiting at STP, the 16:06 train to Bedford (originating at Gatwick) was an 8 car one, as I thought they all operated on the "metro" style routes, with 1st Class downgraded?

AM9

Veteran Member
Bizarre that they didn't do all the 12 cars at least. I was on a 12 car last Friday, which was operating the "full length" Brighton to Bedford service, and it had no tables or WiFi.

I was also surprised yesterday that waiting at STP, the 16:06 train to Bedford (originating at Gatwick) was an 8 car one, as I thought they all operated on the "metro" style routes, with 1st Class downgraded?
I remember posting about that. Tables were fitted to silence continued complaints from a small passenger pressure group. That it did, so no need to do any more.

Established Member

They generally do Catford/Sutton loops but occasionally crop up on “outers”.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

It's not unusual to see 8-cars turn up on other routes. Some are diagrammed to do so.

SAPhil

Somehow I often seem to catch one of the 12-car units without the Wifi! It's especially annoying at weekends when there are seemingly plenty of spare units in the sidings. I have a theory that this is deliberate :lol: !

Mikey C

Established Member
I remember posting about that. Tables were fitted to silence continued complaints from a small passenger pressure group. That it did, so no need to do any more.
Bizarre to start adding tables and WiFi to the 12 car trains, but not finish the whole fleet. And the lack of WiFi on the 8 cars is truly bizarre, when much older Southern and Southeastern stock have been retrofitted

Need2

Bizarre to start adding tables and WiFi to the 12 car trains, but not finish the whole fleet. And the lack of WiFi on the 8 cars is truly bizarre, when much older Southern and Southeastern stock have been retrofitted
I can’t see the point of fitting wi-fi.
Where they have it is utterly useless, not fit for purpose at all!
SE is even worse, if that’s possible.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The Icomera Wi-Fi system is pretty decent, but obviously only as good as the coverage outside (until lineside systems are built, or coverage is improved, as per various upgrade works taking place now or soon). Speeds are purposely throttled to give everyone a chance, and specific services are blocked entirely, but for basic browsing I have no issues when I am content to use that for my laptop than activate a hotspot on my phone.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

There’s a few 8 car workings diagrammed around the shoulders of the peak, this is partly because some of them end up on late evening services running all stations north of St P and they need to be shorter for the ‘inner’ platforms. Yes they could use SDO, but given passenger numbers that would cause more problems than it solves.

Bizarre to start adding tables and WiFi to the 12 car trains, but not finish the whole fleet.

They started adding half way through, in the factory. Those that were already built without were not retrofitted. Doesn’t seem that bizarre to me.

But then I don’t understand why people need Wi-Fi on the train. 4G is much better.

Established Member
I can’t see the point of fitting wi-fi.
Where they have it is utterly useless, not fit for purpose at all!
SE is even worse, if that’s possible.

I agree. It’s also old hat given the speed of mobile network connectivity these days.

But then I don’t understand why people need Wi-Fi on the train. 4G is much better.

Quite. And 5G for more and more people.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There’s a few 8 car workings diagrammed around the shoulders of the peak, this is partly because some of them end up on late evening services running all stations north of St P and they need to be shorter for the ‘inner’ platforms. Yes they could use SDO, but given passenger numbers that would cause more problems than it solves
Isn't it more about fitting them into Bedford Carriage Sidings as it isn't possible to run all the Bedford terminators to Jowett / Cauldwell / Cricklewood / leave them out all night? Plenty of 12 car units do SDO operation on the late night services?

Established Member
Isn't it more about fitting them into Bedford Carriage Sidings as it isn't possible to run all the Bedford terminators to Jowett / Cauldwell / Cricklewood / leave them out all night? Plenty of 12 car units do SDO operation on the late night services?
More about getting them through Three Bridges for maintenance.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I use WiFi on trains because:

1. There are many locations even in London and the SE which don't have a decent mobile signal.

2. If I'm working on my laptop I don't want to tether it and use my own data if I can help it.

3. If I'm close to my data limit.

Established Member

1. There are many locations even in London and the SE which don't have a decent mobile signal.

2. If I'm working on my laptop I don't want to tether it and use my own data if I can help it.

Thing is;

1. WIFI on trains often drops out when the train’s receiver loses signal;

2. Unlimited data tariffs mean this is less of an issue - they’re now very reasonably priced given how data intensive the latest smartphones are.

3. As above!

andythebrave

Where I am gives cause to use 700s on a fairly regular basis.

If it was the only class that I ever experienced I'd say that it was fine, comfortable, quick and reasonably spacious.

However, it isn't; I also have the option of using 350s which are superior in every respect (even the 2s), compared to the 700s they feel premium, a little smoother, better seats and vastly superior ambience with the only downside being that they deposit one in the dreary smorgasbord of Euston.

My family occasionally uses the 700s on the full length of the line to Brighton for the convenience and no other reason; in days of yore we would go IC to London, tube, then the excellent Southern 319 to the coast (no sniggering in the back please, no exaggeration there).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

More about getting them through Three Bridges for maintenance.

Both also true.

4. It's free

or put another way: “I’m happy to use my own data when out and about, but when I’m on a train I expect to have it free”

Established Member
I think it's the websites that are data intensive,which is why earlier models are so slow as to be data savers.

I’ll bow to your superior knowledge!

I found my data limit kept being reached around three phone generations ago once the pro max iPhones appeared. There’s more incentive to view data intensive sites/videos etc on these due to the screens. Switching to unlimited data has eliminated the issue.

Fincra5

Established Member

The Wifi on a 700 cuts out where my Mobile does...

Invincible

The Wifi on a 700 cuts out where my Mobile does...
Extra trackside repeaters could be used to fill the gaps. But as WiFi is a free service there may not be the funds to do this if the provider has a fixed price contract.
As 5G rolls out this may provide coverage in the gap areas which the onboard WiFi could use for those without 5G phones.

Last edited:

Established Member
Extra trackside repeaters could be used to fill the gaps. But as WiFi is a free service there may not be the funds to do this if the provider has a fixed price contract. As 5g rolls out this may provide coverage in the gap areas which the onboard WiFi could use.

But the argument again becomes, as more and more people obtain 5G phones, fewer will bother with (generally much slower) on train Wi-Fi, so why spend the money?

Kilopylae

Cheaper, innit. I've never personally managed to maxed out my data (I think I get about 10 GB - unsure as I never hit it!) but my partner always seem to run out.

or put another way: “I’m happy to use my own data when out and about, but when I’m on a train I expect to have it free”
True enough to an extent, although I think it's also something which is felt to be included in the price of a ticket. That's how I feel about plug sockets, anyway, so I can see why others would have that attitude to WiFi.

It doesn't bother me much on a Thameslink, though. Cambridge to London isn't "intercity" enough for me to feel short-changed by the lack of plug sockets and tables etc.

AM9

Veteran Member
Cheaper, innit. I've never personally managed to maxed out my data (I think I get about 10 GB - unsure as I never hit it!) but my partner always seem to run out.

True enough to an extent, although I think it's also something which is felt to be included in the price of a ticket. That's how I feel about plug sockets, anyway, so I can see why others would have that attitude to WiFi.

It doesn't bother me much on a Thameslink, though. Cambridge to London isn't "intercity" enough for me to feel short-changed by the lack of plug sockets and tables etc.
Given the funding pressures on the railway both from within and from the GfT above, I would much rather expenditure is directed at improving/maintaining the publisged service, i.e. running to time table with clean trains within a safe environment. Anybody who has a need to continuously communicate whilst travelling should ensure that their device and contract provides that for them.
Fortunately, the class 700s are generally reliable (as trains) and with the relatively high density of other traffic on the routes that they serve, - particularly on the approaches to the core, the Thameslink service itself is generally not the prime cause of route delays*.

* The exception to that being the shortage of drivers which is endemic in the national rail system.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But the argument again becomes, as more and more people obtain 5G phones, fewer will bother with (generally much slower) on train Wi-Fi, so why spend the money?

Now we're out of the EU, Ofcom is looking like it may begin allowing networks to restrict traffic again (within the next few years) - so you could see a return to separate tethered allowances (or no allowance at all on some plans) that will prevent or cripple your ability to set up a hotspot to use a tablet or laptop on a train. Then all of a sudden Wi-Fi becomes desirable again.

A lot of people won't know or care about what net neutrality is until it's too late. Unsurprisingly the mobile networks are keen on it but won't be shouting from the rooftops about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.