• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
5Q70 does not appear to have run and 165120 is today on the Oxford - Didcot circuit. Quite possibly as a consequence of Eunice?

120 was stuck at Oxford and wouldn’t have made Reading for it’s booked departure, then the network was effectively closed down. Awaiting details of the rescheduled move to Wolverton for 120.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I must say, I do Cardiff - Fratton once or twice a month in each direction, and have always opted to travel on the booked 158s. The other day, I did have to go home last minute and ended up on a 166, which in declassified first was perfectly comfortable.

However, today, I am making the journey on refurbishment prototype 166205, in the declassified compartment with leather seats, and I can quite honestly confirm that if I can find this unit doing the route next time I need to travel, the 158s won’t get a look in. The difference inside is rather considerable, and the soft leather seating is exceptionally comfortable! (Some GWR staff sitting at the table across from me have also just closed it off to other passengers, so it’s extra spacious) … having seen what a difference losing the awful pinks and purples does to the ambience makes me excited that they’re finally doing them all up.

Yes, sadly, the leather won’t be there as first class is a distant memory for 2-165s and 166s, and will soon be for 3-165s, but the beige and green scheme is also very classy. Also, I was expecting 205 to be extremely tatty following comments on here, but it’s not bad at all. :)

RTT shows 165120 on 0910 Didcot - Banbury, so a change to the planned unit on 5Q70 to Wolverton? Possibly 165121 or 165127 although a post elsewhere says 165121 sustained collision damage with a tree on Friday but I do not know how serious that damage is (or not).

CR165022

FGW_DID

Established Member
165121 is off to Wolverton instead of 120. Had some repairs done but rest of repairs will be done whilst it’s in for refresh.

Stigy

Established Member
I drove 165129 (I think?) the other day. It looks like an adequate refresh, but the passenger seats don’t look as though they’ve been re-trimmed particularly well, and are starting to sag already. The driver’s seat isn’t too bad, but arguably a waste of time and money to retrim these as they only really have visual impact?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned. The thread title only mentions 166s - does the work programme include 165s too?

I must say, I do Cardiff - Fratton once or twice a month in each direction, and have always opted to travel on the booked 158s. The other day, I did have to go home last minute and ended up on a 166, which in declassified first was perfectly comfortable.

However, today, I am making the journey on refurbishment prototype 166205, in the declassified compartment with leather seats, and I can quite honestly confirm that if I can find this unit doing the route next time I need to travel, the 158s won’t get a look in. The difference inside is rather considerable, and the soft leather seating is exceptionally comfortable! (Some GWR staff sitting at the table across from me have also just closed it off to other passengers, so it’s extra spacious) … having seen what a difference losing the awful pinks and purples does to the ambience makes me excited that they’re finally doing them all up.

Yes, sadly, the leather won’t be there as first class is a distant memory for 2-165s and 166s, and will soon be for 3-165s, but the beige and green scheme is also very classy. Also, I was expecting 205 to be extremely tatty following comments on here, but it’s not bad at all. :)
Are GWR removing first class again from the NDL, then? The cycle of removal and reinstatement of this has been ludicrous - no wonder no-one knows what is going on.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Are GWR removing first class again from the NDL, then? The cycle of removal and reinstatement of this has been ludicrous - no wonder no-one knows what is going on.
That depends on 769 introduction (with first class) and whether the first class is removed in the 165s before they are displaced.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned. The thread title only mentions 166s - does the work programme include 165s too?

It has been mentioned way back in the thread and although the thread title does specify 166, it’s the 165s that are being done first. Currently working through the 2 car 165s.

fgwrich

Established Member
It has been mentioned way back in the thread and although the thread title does specify 166, it’s the 165s that are being done first. Currently working through the 2 car 165s.
I can but hope that this means a more extensive plan for the 166s is being worked on, while the 165s are being treated as a "quick fix".

FGW_DID

Established Member
Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
Tuesday 19th April should be next changeover day for LTV 165s:

5Q70 09.25 Reading TCD - Wolverton Sidings: 165124

5Q74
14.00 Wolverton Sidings - Reading TCD: 165120

REVUpminster

165130 working Paignton today. Is it a refurbished one? Can't get down there to see it today but it might be here all weekend.

fgwrich

Established Member
LTV: 122, 123, 126, 118 with 119 next in line

West: 130 currently at Wolverton. i don’t think any others from SPM have been through yet but may be wrong as not my part of the world.

165130 working Paignton today. Is it a refurbished one? Can't get down there to see it today but it might be here all weekend.
That'll be a yes - the first of the SPM / West ones.

REVUpminster

165130 arriving in Paignton platform 1 23 April 2022.PNG
165130 interior 2.PNG
165130 interior 1.PNG
165130 arriving in Paignton Saturday 23 April 2022.
Nice clean refurbishment but I don't think a two car train on Saturday is a good idea. Surprised it still had a big luggage rack at one end.

DelW

Established Member
165130 arriving in Paignton Saturday 23 April 2022.
Nice clean refurbishment but I don't think a two car train on Saturday is a good idea. Surprised it still had a big luggage rack at one end.
At last the end of those ghastly bright pink grab poles and handles. To be fair, the First Group refurb of 15-odd years ago was mostly OK, and has lasted quite well, but the pink was just awful.

Does anyone know whether Reading's Turbos will be done while they're still on the Thames Valley and North Downs, or is the plan to wait until they go west (assuming the 769s enter service before the Turbos finally wear out)?

JN114

Established Member
Does anyone know whether Reading's Turbos will be done while they're still on the Thames Valley and North Downs, or is the plan to wait until they go west (assuming the 769s enter service before the Turbos finally wear out)?

The Reading 2 cars are being done at the moment; and infact are nearly finished. I see no reason why the 3 cars won’t follow on after.