• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

Snow1964

Established Member
First ones appeared in Green in August 2015. You are correct, the plain blue 166s were repainted just before the decision to go Green.
So there has been been a mix of blue and green units for over 8 years (not about 7 years as I originally thought).

Of course, there are still plenty of green 166s that have not yet had the refresh that started over 2 years ago, and remain rather tired inside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Of course, there are still plenty of green 166s that have not yet had the refresh that started over 2 years ago, and remain rather tired inside.

Thats because the refresh can’t happen over night or there would be even more short forms!

Laserbeam31

Carpet to lino is a very retrograde step for a train now working really rather lengthy distances
Yes, Brian* is back!

*166201 is known to many as Brian.
Happened to see 166201 yesterday, and this one also seems to have had its carpet removed in favour of lino - which is a bit of a pity as mentioned before. I wonder if all the remaining units are to be done in this way?

Looked reasonably smart overall, although it's a shame that the failed double-glazing units in some of the windows don't seem to have been addressed as part of the refurb.

I think there was a mention further up in the thread of the spotlights (predominantly in/around the old 1st-class areas) having been given up on, but 201 seemed to have them all working (at least from the bits I glimpsed). Looked like they'd been replaced with new LED equivalents.

3973EXL

Established Member

Class73man

Happened to see 166201 yesterday, and this one also seems to have had its carpet removed in favour of lino - which is a bit of a pity as mentioned before. I wonder if all the remaining units are to be done in this way?

Looked reasonably smart overall, although it's a shame that the failed double-glazing units in some of the windows don't seem to have been addressed as part of the refurb.

I think there was a mention further up in the thread of the spotlights (predominantly in/around the old 1st-class areas) having been given up on, but 201 seemed to have them all working (at least from the bits I glimpsed). Looked like they'd been replaced with new LED equivalents.
166201 was unique especially when it had its First branding on the front.

3973EXL

Established Member
30/11
5Q80 dep Wolverton 0909
5Q70 dep Bristol TM 1523

5Q81 113 late ex Doncaster

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Yes, blue 166s not a thing anymore now!
8.2 years after GWR introduced Green livery, so has been long process.

Although quite a few 166s are still to be refreshEd inside. The only problem is compared to the refreshed ones, the 158s are now starting to look tatty again, due to heavy loadings.

But the GWR diesel fleet is all old, 31-38 years which is rather more than previous generation lasted. And of course going to have to struggle on for few more years as no replacements are yet on order.

Robin Procter

8.2 years after GWR introduced Green livery, so has been long process.

Although quite a few 166s are still to be refreshEd inside. The only problem is compared to the refreshed ones, the 158s are now starting to look tatty again, due to heavy loadings.

But the GWR diesel fleet is all old, 31-38 years which is rather more than previous generation lasted. And of course going to have to struggle on for few more years as no replacements are yet on order.
.... As the 166 class are being refreshed inside, that indicates to me that there are no plans to retire them in the near future - That's good news as far as I am concerned! But is anything known about a possible future development such as an entirely new unit design which would eventually replace the two Networker classes?

Has the 165 class already been refreshed inside?

Does the Diesel MU have a future on the network in the world of the electric MU?

When I was at Westbury last Wednesday 29th (November 2023) there had been "an electric rail failure" somewhere which effected passenger services - According to a public announcement.

If anyone knows any of the GWR crews in these photos, please give them a shout - Cheers!

Weastbury GWR Class165 112 & 101 & Class166 217_M1X95156 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Westbury GWR Crews Class165 & 166_M1X95059 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Westbury GWR Guard Class166 214_M1X95596 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GWVillager

.... As the 166 class are being refreshed inside, that indicates to me that there are no plans to retire them in the near future - That's good news as far as I am concerned! But is anything known about a possible future development such as an entirely new unit design which would eventually replace the two Networker classes?
There is word of a “Project Churchward”, a multi-mode MU that would replace all non IET and 387s classes in the GWR fleet. I know nothing more than that, and it might just be a rumour anyway.

Yes.

Does the Diesel MU have a future on the network in the world of the electric MU?
Long term, almost certainly not. But they’ll still be around for 30 years, I should think, with new diesels still being delivered.

Pat31

When I was at Westbury last Wednesday 29th (November 2023) there had been "an electric rail failure" somewhere which effected passenger services - According to a public announcement.

If anyone knows any of the GWR crews in these photos, please give them a shout - Cheers!

Weastbury GWR Class165 112 & 101 & Class166 217_M1X95156 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Nice photos!

I suspect the 165/166's will be around until the late 2020's maybe 2030? So 7-10 years left. It will be interesting to see what the proposals are for church wood as the majority of the GWR local network will not be electrified anytime soon.

I think all the 165's are refreshed now, I know many people have complained about the hard flooring but I personally think they are a lot nicer now.

Robin Procter

There is word of a “Project Churchward”, a multi-mode MU that would replace all non IET and 387s classes in the GWR fleet. I know nothing more than that, and it might just be a rumour anyway.
.... "Operation Churchward" (doubtless named after the GWR's Chief Mechanical Engineer in the age of steam) appears to be an official name rather than only a rumour, according to this long but interesting article linked below. Operation Churchward is mentioned starting about a quarter of the way down the page. I Google'd it :

@Pat31 You may be interested in that article I have linked to just above too. And thanks for complimenting my photos - Much appreciated!

Long term, almost certainly not. But they’ll still be around for 30 years, I should think, with new diesels still being delivered.
.... Are you saying that new Networker Turbos (165s/166s) are still being built and delivered now? Or that more diesel powered units generally are still being built and delivered? With all the current talk about killing all fossil fuels it seems to contradict the environmental policy, but all of that is another can of worms!

Snow1964

Established Member
.... Are you saying that new Networker Turbos (165s/166s) are still being built and delivered now? Or that more diesel powered units generally are still being built and delivered? With all the current talk about killing all fossil fuels it seems to contradict the environmental policy, but all of that is another can of worms!

Networkers haven't been built for over 30 years (if you ignore the similar, but not identical 168s)

But recent diesel classes eg 196, 197 are likely to be around into 2060s.

The question for GWR is what does it get for Devon and Cornwall local services, even if electrification gets extended to Frome or Weston-super-Mare areas, there is no short or medium term likelihood of it getting much further, at best might get to Taunton, and even slimmer chance of it getting to Exeter area. Therefore in next decade no point buying battery EMUs for any services running south west of Taunton. Much more likely to electrify northwards towards Gloucester and Bromsgrove before considering going towards Devon.

Any battery EMUs are going to have to run to Dorchester, Redbridge, Worcester etc. And the longer distance versions are going to also need third rail 750v fitted

GWVillager

Diesels generally, as said the Turbos have been out of production for 30 years!

RailWonderer

Established Member
Networkers haven't been built for over 30 years (if you ignore the similar, but not identical 168s)

The question for GWR is what does it get for Devon and Cornwall local services, even if electrification gets extended to Frome or Weston-super-Mare areas, there is no short or medium term likelihood of it getting much further, at best might get to Taunton, and even slimmer chance of it getting to Exeter area. Therefore in next decade no point buying battery EMUs for any services running south west of Taunton. Much more likely to electrify northwards towards Gloucester and Bromsgrove before considering going towards Devon.

Any battery EMUs are going to have to run to Dorchester, Redbridge, Worcester etc. And the longer distance versions are going to also need third rail 750v fitted
Getting speculative now but it could happen that the west midlands or another region gets an urban electrification greenlit which would cascade 196s or 185s for example, but even then GWR would need 50-60 2 car units and 35 3 to 4 car units as a rough count to replace their current regional fleet like for like.

The DfT could debut battery trains in the UK if the GWR is first to get them (it's a matter of time until we have battery trains somewhere on the network).

superalbs

Established Member
Getting speculative now but it could happen that the west midlands or another region gets an urban electrification greenlit which would cascade 196s or 185s for example, but even then GWR would need 50-60 2 car units and 35 3 to 4 car units as a rough count to replace their current regional fleet like for like.

The DfT could debut battery trains in the UK if the GWR is first to get them (it's a matter of time until we have battery trains somewhere on the network).
Aren't the 777s on Merseyrail already operating with batteries?

Robin Procter

.... You can see how the 168 design has evolved from the 166s. I have yet to see one but now fancy dropping by Marylebone Station when next in London. An added bonus would be to photograph 165/166s in a different livery than GWR green!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ne.jpg#/media/File:Chiltern_at_Marylebone.jpg

I wonder if GWR would replace the 165s with 168s.

.... Although I can see the functional advantage of end gangways, I personally do not like them aesthetically - I am a railway photographer rather than regular passenger. But of course the railway operators need to consider much more than my personal opinions! Being 76yo I will have left this planet by the 2060s.

.... So in other words, the not insignificant costs of modifying the physical infrastructure would have to be taken into account just to run battery trains on local services in the southwest counties.

Regarding the 165/166s, if it works, don't mend it is an adage which comes to mind. Hence the decision to refurbish these two classes makes sense - At least for now.

Dan G

Thread here (and the place for project Churchward discussion)

3973EXL

Established Member

5Q81 dep Wolverton 0832

5Q70 dep Bristol TM 1457

Last edited: