• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

CEB24

Has anyone heard anything about the resumption of the recruitment process for Polmadie? Is there an expiration on the tests that we have done so far and passed?
From what I've made out on this forum thread, Euston has - or is close to - finishing, with Wolverhampton next up. Liverpool and Manchester applicants have had radio silence since October. I wonder if The OPC are working South-North? It's strange because the last 'proper' update email I received was in April 2023(!) to say that I'd passed the tests I was given, but the applications for Liverpool and Manchester were now on hold as AWC had instructed The OPC to 'prioritise recruitment for depots in Scotland' so I assumed from that, that Polmadie was next up. Since my April email, I've had two more in August and October that say largely the same thing, i.e. your chosen depot's recruitment is still on hold, we'll get back to you when we can.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JGB3

Just got this today (Manchester applicant) - still no moving forward just yet

28th February 2024
Hello
Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast
Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast and I can only apologise, on behalf of Avanti, as to how long the recruitment process is taking.
Avanti is currently reviewing their recruitment for the last year, to then plan their recruitment for the 2nd year of this current campaign. Both ourselves and Avanti are very aware as to how long you have been waiting to complete the various stages of their recruitment process for which Avanti are very grateful.
Avanti’s recruitment campaign was scheduled to take place over 2 years, and we are now coming up to that 2nd and final year, so hopefully we will be able to provide a further and more meaningful update to you in the coming months.
Thanks
The Occupational Psychology Centre

Last edited:

CEB24

Just got this today (Manchester applicant) - still no moving forward just yet

28th February 2024
Hello
Re: Application for the role of Trainee Train Driver with Avanti West Coast
Thank you for your continued patience with regards to your application with Avanti West Coast and I can only apologise, on behalf of Avanti, as to how long the recruitment process is taking.
Avanti is currently reviewing their recruitment for the last year, to then plan their recruitment for the 2nd year of this current campaign. Both ourselves and Avanti are very aware as to how long you have been waiting to complete the various stages of their recruitment process for which Avanti are very grateful.
Avanti’s recruitment campaign was scheduled to take place over 2 years, and we are now coming up to that 2nd and final year, so hopefully we will be able to provide a further and more meaningful update to you in the coming months.
Thanks
The Occupational Psychology Centre
Great update, thanks for sharing!

Sorcerer

I wonder if this being the second and final year of a major driver recruitment campaign means that there could be a possibility of another one some time next year or so for any hopefuls who didn't get the chance to apply or who didn't make the cut last time. However, that is simply wishful thinking on my behalf. Nevertheless it's still reassuring for anyone who has been stuck in limbo awaiting progress on their own recruitment. Based on the posts here it seems that it's mostly been Euston candidates who have been taken care of over the last year and that the ones elsewhere will be dealt with this year. Good luck to anyone still in the running at this point!

Crdif

I had an email today for stage 2 Glasgow Applicant but having to goto Avanti training centre in Crewe for it anyone else ?

MrBalfour95

Anyone else in Talent Pool for Edinburgh? Found out in November I had passed the DMI. Got told in January they don’t expect any positions in Edinburgh to open up in the next 6 months

Long time lurker, first time poster

Last edited:
I have noticed they are recruiting qualified drivers for Euston, Wolves and Liverpool. I don’t think this is anything to be concerned about though as Avanti have already booked some new starters on a training course for Euston. Fingers crossed the wolves courses come through sooner rather than later.

Jquarterz

Quick question guys.
I have noticed they are recruiting qualified drivers for Euston, Wolves and Liverpool. I don’t think this is anything to be concerned about though as Avanti have already booked some new starters on a training course for Euston. Fingers crossed the wolves courses come through sooner rather than later.
Maybe goes to show just how short staffed they are, or does that limit potential positions? I don't quite know what to make off it.

What dose this mean for us in the talent pool?

Sorcerer

Maybe goes to show just how short staffed they are, or does that limit potential positions? I don't quite know what to make off it.
What dose this mean for us in the talent pool?
What it likely just means is that they are still somewhat short-staffed at those depots and need drivers sooner than they could otherwise get with a trainee. As a new recruit you'd spend about two years learning before being qualified fully and you'd have to learn about all the railway rules and such, whereas as a qualified driver you'd only really need to pass through a DMI and traction course which, if I'm not mistaken, takes less time than learning the rules and they could have you in the cab within a few weeks. I could be wrong about that stuff but I still wouldn't worry for you both, you'll probably get a course eventually.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
What it likely just means is that they are still somewhat short-staffed at those depots and need drivers sooner than they could otherwise get with a trainee. As a new recruit you'd spend about two years learning before being qualified fully and you'd have to learn about all the railway rules and such, whereas as a qualified driver you'd only really need to pass through a DMI and traction course which, if I'm not mistaken, takes less time than learning the rules and they could have you in the cab within a few weeks. I could be wrong about that stuff but I still wouldn't worry for you both, you'll probably get a course eventually.
Not quite a few weeks, more than likely around 6months - 9 if you account for most of us having 3month notice periods. But still far quicker than a trainee would be.

Quick question guys.

I was unsure at first. I thought the same thing about limited positions but then the people in the talent pool for Euston in here have now been put onto a course - this means it’s hopefully nothing to worry about in terms of getting a course sooner rather then later. They most likely need more staff. What depot are you waiting on for a course?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Its best not to judge the progress as a trainee against the recruitment of qualifieds - they both fulfill the workforce planning requirements, but are looked at separately and recruited for differing needs. Quals generall fill a shorter-term, more immediate need. Trainees are the long-term future of the depot.

I don't speak for Avanti here btw, just in general at driver depots

Jquarterz

Cheers for the
Not quite a few weeks, more than likely around 6months - 9 if you account for most of us having 3month notice periods. But still far quicker than a trainee would be.
Cheers for the info guys appreciate that

I was unsure at first. I thought the same thing about limited positions but then the people in the talent pool for Euston in here have now been put onto a course - this means it’s hopefully nothing to worry about in terms of getting a course sooner rather then later. They most likely need more staff. What depot are you waiting on for a course?
I waiting on euston. What about you. I'm sure all the 2022 for Euston are on courses and a couple of the 2023 lot. Not 100% though

Sorcerer

Well blimey, I was off by quite a margin but at least the main point of being quicker than a trainee was right. :lol:

At worst you might end up waiting a bit longer than you might like to, but being in the talent pool means most people will probably will get on a course eventually. Euston depot in particular seems to need drivers more than the other depots just based on the amount of recruitment that has taken place there. Based on Avanti's careers sites also having vacancies for driver managers, part of which which requires supporting the introduction new drivers, this could mean anyone waiting on those depots might get a course offer soon once those driver managers have been hired.

Cheers for the

Cheers for the info guys appreciate that

I waiting on euston. What about you. I'm sure all the 2022 for Euston are on courses and a couple of the 2023 lot. Not 100% though
I’m waiting on Wolves. I didn’t realise you were a Euston applicant that is still waiting as I’m aware there are some on here that are Euston 23 and have been booked on. I thought Euston was filled. Hopefully we’re both on the next round of courses after July

DG841

Has anyone who has had a conditional offer for the July 2024 course had any word on a medical date yet ?

Ses16

Has anyone who has had a conditional offer for the July 2024 course had any word on a medical date yet ?
It will come closer to the date from the recruitment admin. If you’re slated for July, expect an email in May/June.

They offering July course dates now?
No. That course has been filled. The guy above you is placed on it subject to his medical.

CEB24

Random question whilst me and my fellow Liverpool applicants await our OPC email that Manchester applicants received on 28th February: Does anyone on here currently drive for Avanti? Or is there another thread somewhere with a typical 'day in the life'? I'd love to actually understand more about the typical shift format, how overtime works, how far in advance you know your shifts, how weekends work etc. Just out of curiosity to be honest.

Last edited:

TTNA

I have a DMI soon and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the types of questions that come up. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ses16

How did your medical go?
Fine tbh. I’m only in my early 30’s, don’t smoke or drink. Don’t take any medication. So was fairly straightforward. Do love the odd take away more often than usual but glad that wasn’t an issue lol

I have a DMI soon and was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the types of questions that come up. Any help would be much appreciated.
Research the company and sell yourself well!

Limerickboyo

Hi all. Long time lurker

I have passed all my OPC stages and have had an email from Aventi saying congratulations on the pass and the next step is the DMI. but no dates are yet available for the DMI stage. Once driver manager availability is released they will them email me an invite. this was over a month ago.
Do you think they have over subscribed with trainees so there is no need for more in the talent pool just yet?