• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

nalla

im in the same boat, i just passed all my opc tests and am awaiting a dmi, anyone have any ideas how long that will be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bus mechanic

Hi all. Long time lurker

I have passed all my OPC stages and have had an email from Aventi saying congratulations on the pass and the next step is the DMI. but no dates are yet available for the DMI stage. Once driver manager availability is released they will them email me an invite. this was over a month ago.
Do you think they have over subscribed with trainees so there is no need for more in the talent pool just yet?
No, they will be in touch but as they have a lot of people waiting and still going through various stages they will wait until they have enough for whatever depot you’re applying for.

Ses16

Hi all. Long time lurker

I have passed all my OPC stages and have had an email from Aventi saying congratulations on the pass and the next step is the DMI. but no dates are yet available for the DMI stage. Once driver manager availability is released they will them email me an invite. this was over a month ago.
Do you think they have over subscribed with trainees so there is no need for more in the talent pool just yet?
Positions are there, they will always be there. Just be patient. Start learning about your potential new role in prep for your DMI.

danmcw11

I had an email today for stage 2 Glasgow Applicant but having to goto Avanti training centre in Crewe for it anyone else ?
Yes 27th march?

Avanti stage 2 awaiting. To attend crewe next week. As i wasn't aware how quickly they would begin processing applications again, i have since applied for another TOC. Does anyone know if i will skip the test sat already with the new TOC as have been invited for further assessments. Thanks

Last edited:

Ses16

Yes 27th march?

Avanti stage 2 awaiting. To attend crewe next week. As i wasn't aware how quickly they would begin processing applications again, i have since applied for another TOC. Does anyone know if i will skip the test sat already with the new TOC as have been invited for further assessments. Thanks
You’ll only sit the tests that you haven’t already done. But you’re at stage 2 where avanti use the CBI and the other toc you’ve applied for, let’s say scotrail for example will use the MMI.

You can only progress with one toc so have a think what’s the better toc for you to work for. Also if you fail any stage 2 assessments, that will cancel out your other application as you’ll have to wait 6 months to apply again.

Again if you do the CBI for avanti, you can’t use that pass with the other TOC and vice versa.

Good luck!

danmcw11

You’ll only sit the tests that you haven’t already done. But you’re at stage 2 where avanti use the CBI and the other toc you’ve applied for, let’s say scotrail for example will use the MMI.

You can only progress with one toc so have a think what’s the better toc for you to work for. Also if you fail any stage 2 assessments, that will cancel out your other application as you’ll have to wait 6 months to apply again.

Again if you do the CBI for avanti, you can’t use that pass with the other TOC and vice versa.

Good luck!
Great thankyou.

CEB24

Approaching 13 months since application, and now at 5 months without an OPC update. Is anyone else still checking their emails every other hour like me? :'(

CEB24

In the nicest possible way, I'm glad I'm not on my own haha! Hopefully things move quickly for us and our fellow North West applicants soon :o Is this the normal turnaround time for the sector, or is it just an incredibly busy period I wonder?

FManc

It’s certainly become more of the norm for the sector unfortunately. Some internal staff in the talent pool are on courses in May and July for NW depots (Manchester I know of certainly) so things are certainly moving along even though it doesn’t seem it at times.

387star

On Moderation
£600 for one overtime shift, pretty please with bells on can I have a mulligan on the dmi.
Once you see how easy it is to screw up you might change your mind. I wouldn't chase overtime as a new driver.

I've not worked one rest day since I Qualified the best part of a decade ago.

Once you see how easy it is to screw up you might change your mind. I wouldn't chase overtime as a new driver.

I've not worked one rest day since I Qualified the best part of a decade ago.
Can you explain more on screwing up as a driver. I’ve heard this before - it would be interesting to know what you mean.

baz962

Established Member
Can you explain more on screwing up as a driver. I’ve heard this before - it would be interesting to know what you mean.
When you are a new driver you are more at risk of an incident , such as passing a red signal etc. if you bang out the extra days you up that chance even more. Settling in first is good advice.

FManc

When you are a new driver you are more at risk of an incident , such as passing a red signal etc. if you bang out the extra days you up that chance even more. Settling in first is good advice.

This is especially the case at AWC where working just 1 rest day can lead you to working 11/12 days straight in a row. It’s mentally and physically exhausting when you combine 3/4am starts.

Kse

Nothing is wrong with hitting rdw as a new driver if you need the funds. Just think of it as a golden goose, don't go after it too hard.

Like others have said though, the more time spent in the cabin, the higher likelihood you can have an incident.

Aviator88

Regarding RDW as a new driver, I guess this is where it's important so be very self aware of one's abilities and weaknesses.

I'm new to the industry (I haven't even started yet!), but I'd guess a settling in period of a few months is a sensible idea, because the last thing you'd want is to commit to overtime before understanding how this particular job affects your performance after 'x' amount of back to back shifts.

If you don’t mind me asking how are incidents treated as a new driver. I’m always one who prefers to understand and master my job before I look at monetary incentives. Even if the RDW looks very appealing.

Is it safe to say other TOCs such as WM who do shorter routes/stops are less likely to have an incident?

Cheers for all the advice anyway much appreciated. I’m still waiting for a course date but happy to take in anything that helps.

GLENMAYE77

An ‘incident’ can happen to any driver at any time…..but like new car drivers, newly qualified train drivers have a higher risk for the first few years.

The basic premise to take from this is the less time you are in the cab driving then the less time there is in which an incident can occur.

Going back to cars for example….someone who drives 20,000 miles a year is more likely to have an ‘incident’ than someone who drives 5,000 miles a year.

boabocs

Im wating on my Stage with Avanti and have been since October. Ive since applied with Scotrail and been invited to complete the SJT online with Scotrail. Does anyone know if the SJT test has an adverse effect on my Avanti application?

baz962

Established Member
If you don’t mind me asking how are incidents treated as a new driver. I’m always one who prefers to understand and master my job before I look at monetary incentives. Even if the RDW looks very appealing.

Is it safe to say other TOCs such as WM who do shorter routes/stops are less likely to have an incident?

Cheers for all the advice anyway much appreciated. I’m still waiting for a course date but happy to take in anything that helps.
More intensive metro work would on balance be worse especially doo. More stops and doing the doors gives more opportunities to have an incident.
As far as being a new driver you wouldn't really be treated any different.
At my old toc a new driver had two incidents within the first year and were told that one more would be their last.
Just take time and focus and protect that key/ career.

More intensive metro work would on balance be worse especially doo. More stops and doing the doors gives more opportunities to have an incident.
As far as being a new driver you wouldn't really be treated any different.
At my old toc a new driver had two incidents within the first year and were told that one more would be their last.
Just take time and focus and protect that key/ career.
Thanks for the heads up Baz. Much appreciated mate.

danmcw11

I am in the same position. Currently on route to crewe for next stage with avanti. Awaiting results from opc for sjt with scotrail. I was advised if i do not pass the cbi i cannot interview with scotrail for 6 months however the opc staff advised otherwise so unsure ?
Im wating on my Stage with Avanti and have been since October. Ive since applied with Scotrail and been invited to complete the SJT online with Scotrail. Does anyone know if the SJT test has an adverse effect on my Avanti application?

whoosh

Established Member

Reading across to the wrong signal. E.g: Where there are multiple tracks, on a curve, what looks like your signal isn't- it's for the line next to you. Overhead wire masts or foliage might impede the view of your signal, and before you know it, you've 'locked on' visually to the wrong signal.

Reading through to the next signal (there might be a bridge for example blocking the view of your next signal).

Green signal, green signal, green signal, green signal... oh hang on, I needed a junction indicator at that one, I'm going to Manchester today, not Preston - now I've accepted a 'wrong route'.

Flying along on green signals, just like the past five days. Oops, should've stopped at Watford Junction on this trip today. 'Fail to call'.

"Buzz, Buzz" bell signal from Tran Manager/Guard to go at station. Distracted (could be anything), fail to check signal on gantry (sunny day, sunblind down so it was out of sight). SPAD - Signal Passed At Danger.

Forgetting about Temporary Speed Restriction, having had warning board before a station stop. Pull away, back up towards linespeed. Oh no! There's the commencement board and I'm going too fast.

You can mess up from "Underload" - same as usual, low workload, long run on green signals, mind on 'autopilot', fail to to maintain situational awareness.

Or "Overload," lots of things going on and you can only remember a certain amount of information at once. Details can get forgotten.

If you've ever meant to go to the shop on your drive home from work, but found yourself pulling up outside your home having not been to the shop because you did what you usually do - that's how easy it is for fail to calls and wrong routes to happen.

Last edited:

Dieseldriver

Honestly it is frightening how easy it is to have an incident as a Driver (not just as a new Driver either). There are a multitude of ways to mess up and it is always (rightfully) dealt with robustly.

boabocs

I am in the same position. Currently on route to crewe for next stage with avanti. Awaiting results from opc for sjt with scotrail. I was advised if i do not pass the cbi i cannot interview with scotrail for 6 months however the opc staff advised otherwise so unsure ?

Hi dan thanks for the reply. Are you a Polmadie applicant heading to Crewe for your stage 2 computer tests and cbi? I emailed the OPC and was advised not to have 2 applications live with 2 different TOCs. I was led to believe that as long as you dont fail any of the stage 1 or stage 2 tests then its fine. Any one else experience similar?