• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast rebrand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeylandLen

I have seen on cam a 390 with what appears to be a dark cross like this ' + ' against a white background on several carriages on the train. Its just been seen on Fridays 1H05 1920 Euston to Man Picc.Has anyone got the fleet number or is the design on more than 1 train ?

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
I have seen pics of an Avanti 390 with what appears to have a large white cross, similar to the cross of St George on a dark backgroud half way down the train,has anyone knowledge of it and its number please .
Do you have any links to those photos?

Peter0124

Established Member
Sorry no . Ive looked through its diagram today since it looks to have started out on 1M10 0940 Glasgow to Euston from Polmadie.
Ive put in a TOPS request for it.
1M10 was 390156, that would be one of the full liveried trains so they probably added to it

superalbs

Established Member
I have seen on cam a 390 with what appears to be a dark cross like this ' + ' against a white background on several carriages on the train. Its just been seen on Fridays 1H05 1920 Euston to Man Picc.Has anyone got the fleet number or is the design on more than 1 train ?
Maybe it's the marking for Standard Premium?

EDIT: Aha, didn't see it was on multiple carriages, probably not then.

LeylandLen

Yes thanks for answer to my query in #996 from Peter0214 about ID of a Pendo. Yes 390156 Pride and Prosperity does appear to be the one in question from what I can see in its travels and pics from a distance on Railcam , obviously would like to see close up pic when the train is stationary

greeny11

I have not seen a poppy livery this year which is a shame - but given we are still with a significant number of white pendolinos running, I am not surprised.

011, 107 and 129 have all been given the Avanti ends, which leaves the following as white pendolinos.

001, 002, 005, 010, 013, 020, 039, 042, 046, 050
114, 115, 118, 122, 126, 131, 135, 154

For spotting purposes on Railcam - the following are the easiest to identify -
001 (yellow name plate)
006 (Avanti livery with blue name plate)
008 (Avanti livery with black name plate)
020 (white with window bands but no name plate)
122/042 (wear a mask livery - 1 11-car, 1 9-car)
039 (white with blue name plate - logo at North end)
119 (progress livery)
155/156 (only full Avanti livery trains, 156 named at one end)
002 (has logo next to name)

Slightly harder to see individual numbers but still identifiable
009/011 (9 car Avanti livery with red name)
046/050 (white with no window bands)
117/157 (Avanti livery, very short names)

Last edited:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Just seen 390039 at Wolverton, now Avanti ended with the north end having white around the windows and the south end having the normal Avanti scheme with black window surrounds.
It still has the badges on the end and pretty sure I saw the Lady Godiva nameplate too.

Its on service 1H27 right now.

Peter0124

Established Member
Just seen 390039 at Wolverton, now Avanti ended with the north end having white around the windows and the south end having the normal Avanti scheme with black window surrounds.
It still has the badges on the end and pretty sure I saw the Lady Godiva nameplate too.

That train is weird because the non-window banded side is only on the right hand side looking north, so the left hand side looks completely normal.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
That train is weird because the non-window banded side is only on the right hand side looking north, so the left hand side looks completely normal.
It is very strange, you'd have thought that they would've done the black window bands throughout for a standard appearance.

I wonder why the bands have not been done at all?

HarryL

I would hazard a guess it's because it was one of the trains that had the flowing silk livery - which for some reason didn't include window bands. The later plain white livery readded them. So probably for some messy reason, some windows on this unit didn't get done when it was de-virgined.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I would hazard a guess it's because it was one of the trains that had the flowing silk livery - which for some reason didn't include window bands. The later plain white livery readded them. So probably for some messy reason, some windows on this unit didn't get done when it was de-virgined.
I suppose so.

gka472l

Seen this afternoon at Liverpool, grabbed a shot....actually think it looks rather good

Attachments

• 50624771817_43fa32b7a4_o.jpg
    50624771817_43fa32b7a4_o.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 239

HarryL

Yeah it's almost BR blue, the white window surrounds whilst accidental make it look even more BR. Wonder if Avanti's choice of blue was an accident or an 'easter egg' done on purpose.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yeah it's almost BR blue, the white window surrounds whilst accidental make it look even more BR. Wonder if the blue colour is an accident or an 'easter egg' done on purpose.

Seems strange to do it now when so many have already been done.

Some Pendolinos had black window surrounds and some not. Perhaps they stuck a vinyl intended for units that already had it on one that didn't by mistake.

HarryL

Seems strange to do it now when so many have already been done.

Some Pendolinos had black window surrounds and some not. Perhaps they stuck a vinyl intended for units that already had it on one that didn't by mistake.

The white window surrounds are an accident, it's because this unit had flowing silk which didn't include black window bands, it for whatever reason didn't get them put on when Virgin was removed like the rest.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I actually think they look loads nicer with just the end vehicles done. The full livery is too "busy", too many vertical elements.
I don't know really, just having all white and then a barrage of colour at each end isn't a great look, but at the same time, the full livery is a bit too much.

Why didn't they just do the 'BR blue with an orange stripe or something that just a bit less busy? I suppose they ran out of ideas?

HarryL

Personally I prefer the full livery tbh. Just the ends feels boring when you start applying it on trains above 4-5 carriages as all that ends up getting seen when you're on a platform is a pure white train. It's also not quite as easy to identify what train you're supposed to be getting on if you don't spot the subtle differences.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I think one Pendolino should shout out the Friday cheaper fares following the announcement that peak fares will be axed on Fridays. Maybe don't revinyl it quite yet though! Lockdown is still in force for another 12 days.

greeny11

Just seen a Pendolino go by the Crewe webcam with an Avanti livery which looks like it has been very hastily applied as there is a significant white gap at the South facing end.

Status
Not open for further replies.