• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CAF Civity for TfW: News and updates on introduction.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Those unbearable announcements really grate, and it particularly annoyed me to see a video of the Liverpool - Chester unit yesterday (route entirely in England) and Welsh announcements preceding English when the train stopped at Liverpool South Parkway. I haven't got anything against the Welsh language and love the fact it's retained, but it said (horrible slowly as the new PIS does) "Dyma... Lerpwl Parcffordd De.... Diolch am deithio gyda Trafnidiaeth Cymru.... Croeso i Trafnidiaeth Cymru. Byddwn yn teithio i...... Gaer." and then by the time Elin started to speak the train was pulling off.

This already annoys me that it's this way round, because it renders the English announcement pointless if there's no time to actually say it before the train pulls off, and the proportion of people who understand Welsh and not English is going to be far, far lower than the proportion of people who understand English. Still, I didn't really make much of it, but while the train is in England it's absolutely bonkers - particularly so as this particular route doesn't even go into Wales...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Those unbearable announcements really grate, and it particularly annoyed me to see a video of the Liverpool - Chester unit yesterday (route entirely in England) and Welsh announcements preceding English when the train stopped at Liverpool South Parkway. I haven't got anything against the Welsh language and love the fact it's retained, but it said (horrible slowly as the new PIS does) "Dyma... Lerpwl Parcffordd De.... Diolch am deithio gyda Trafnidiaeth Cymru.... Croeso i Trafnidiaeth Cymru. Byddwn yn teithio i...... Gaer." and then by the time Elin started to speak the train was pulling off.

This already annoys me that it's this way round, because it renders the English announcement pointless if there's no time to actually say it when necessary, but especially because the proportion of people who understand Welsh and not English is going to be far, far lower than the proportion of people who understand English. I didn't really make much of it, but while the train is in England it's particularly bonkers - in fact, this particular route doesn't even go into Wales...

SBB have this to a tee - in England, English should be first. In Wales, Welsh should be first.

I really dislike the voices though, they're both beyond dull.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
SBB have this to a tee - in England, English should be first. In Wales, Welsh should be first.

Replied here to keep the thread on-topic:

Energy

Established Member
What's "SBB"?
Swiss national train operator.

I think it should be what the majority of the population can speak first. Id imagine there are a lot more people in Wales that can't speak Welsh than people in Wales who can't speak English.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Swiss national train operator.

I think it should be what the majority of the population can speak first. Id imagine there are a lot more people in Wales that can't speak Welsh than people in Wales who can't speak English.
Responded to this in the new thread

Matt_pool

I was on the 2047 Liverpool Lime Street to Chester service on Thursday which was operated by 197 010. I only went as far as South Parkway.

The trains are nice with more legroom than the 195's (I'm 6' 2" so it was noticeable to me) and the ride was also smoother than 195's, some of which make strange banging and knocking noises that sound as if the bogie is going to fall off!

One minor complaint about the 197 - the interior lights are far too bright, but I find that is the case with a lot of the newer trains.

anamyd

On Moderation
...the ride was also smoother than 195's, some of which make strange banging and knocking noises that sound as if the bogie is going to fall off!
Interesting, I wonder if the 197s have larger capacity air suspension, like Sprinters, 175s, 170s etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would have thought 195 196 and 197 were identical below the solebar, apart from the electrical coupler boxes.

I did notice the 197 seemed to ride better than a 195, but it could just be that it was brand new and things hadn't had chance to get loose yet. Also I normally sit at the end of a 195 and sat in the middle of the 197, and that can make a huge difference - 350s are quite jittery at the ends but silky smooth in the middle.

AlexNL

Established Member
The 195s (and with them, the 331s) were the first introduction of the Civity platform to the UK, with the first unit arriving for testing in the UK back in June 2018. The 197s were only ordered in October 2018, with the first unit arriving for testing in April 2021.

This intermezzo has given CAF a chance to gather data about how the units ride and behave on the actual Network Rail infrastructure. It would've been silly if they didn't take that chance.

Ribbleman

The 195s (and with them, the 331s) were the first introduction of the Civity platform to the UK, with the first unit arriving for testing in the UK back in June 2018. The 197s were only ordered in October 2018, with the first unit arriving for testing in April 2021.

This intermezzo has given CAF a chance to gather data about how the units ride and behave on the actual Network Rail infrastructure. It would've been silly if they didn't take that chance.
It would be nice to think that anything that they have learned could be applied retrospectively to the 195s and 331s. I’m not holding my breath though.

craigybagel

Established Member
Draft 2023 timetables

TfW have posted their planned timetables for late 2023 when it's hoped all the 197s should be in service. This will see them on almost every route on the network, including those routes in South Wales that should eventually receive Stadlers. It also sees some, but not all of the planned timetable improvements expected in 2024.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Draft 2023 timetables

TfW have posted their planned timetables for late 2023 when it's hoped all the 197s should be in service. This will see them on almost every route on the network, including those routes in South Wales that should eventually receive Stadlers. It also sees some, but not all of the planned timetable improvements expected in 2024.
Disappointing news that Pembroke Dock will continue with 153s for another 18 months

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's also the factor that recent CAF (196 and 197) deliveries have come from Newport rather than Zaragoza/Beasain.
Although it's difficult to know what any differences in the finished article might be, as they start from the same kit of Civity UK parts bar the front ends.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The build quality of 197011 is absolutely appalling, if that is any help. Shockingly bad. Stuff like marks around the window gaskets painted over in a different white paint to the colour of the interior panel and lots of scratches around the windows where a really bad job has been done of fitting. Not seen anything like that on 195s or 196s.

NewClee153

The build quality of 197011 is absolutely appalling, if that is any help. Shockingly bad. Stuff like marks around the window gaskets painted over in a different white paint to the colour of the interior panel and lots of scratches around the windows where a really bad job has been done of fitting. Not seen anything like that on 195s or 196s.
I have to agree. Albeit the Conwy Valley line isn’t the best litmus test, the ride quality of 011 was completely unacceptable, 195-esque

The jolting and knocking was oh so reminiscent of their northern sisters, and could even be heard in the middle of the carriage

People knock the class 150, but when it comes to ride quality, they more than hold their own given their age, compared to anything CAF have built recently, it’s like riding on a cloud

While the 196 isn’t the best ride, it’s nowhere near as bad as I experienced on 197011

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You are all making me glad that TfW haven't yet got their act together and got them in service en-masse! I will be lucky where I am, in that I will have 67-hauled/pushed MK4s as well, but I am rather hopeful that the issues will be resolved by the time I get to ride on one!

anamyd

On Moderation
Draft 2023 timetables

I looked at the Aberystwyth-Birmingham International and Machynlleth-Pwllheli timetables and it looks like 197s. So sometime in the next 9 months or so, there will be 197 driver training on the Cambrian then?

I have no idea what's been happening with 197s on the Cambrian for the last 6 months since 197003 was delivered to Machynlleth and then ran to Aberystwyth in late May 2022. If anyone does know, I'd appreciate knowing as well.

NewClee153

You are all making me glad that TfW haven't yet got their act together and got them in service en-masse! I will be lucky where I am, in that I will have 67-hauled/pushed MK4s as well, but I am rather hopeful that the issues will be resolved by the time I get to ride on one!
Knowing that the 197s were taking over on the Cambrian line definitely softened the blow of Smethwick Galton Bridge losing the TfW stops.

I much prefer the 196s from my little experience. I certainly wouldn’t want to spend an hour or more on a 197

L401CJF

Established Member
The first thing I noticed was the ride quality in comparison to the stuff I'm used to working and riding, but being CAF I was expecting it!

197s should be working a couple of Llandudno to Manchester diagrams from today, but I can't yet see if its the case as none of the allocations are loading yet.

Edit- 197006 booked to work 1H79 0552 CTR-MIA, out all day until Chester at 2050.

197004 working the Liverpools.

Unsure if any others out.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The first thing I noticed was the ride quality in comparison to the stuff I'm used to working and riding, but being CAF I was expecting it!

197s should be working a couple of Llandudno to Manchester diagrams from today, but I can't yet see if its the case as none of the allocations are loading yet.
197015 0743 Llandudno - Manchester Airport & so on
197006 1043 Llandudno - Manchester Airport & so on

197004 0638 Liverpool L. St. - Chester & so on

L401CJF

Established Member
197015 0743 Llandudno - Manchester Airport & so on
197006 1043 Llandudno - Manchester Airport & so on

197004 0638 Liverpool L. St. - Chester & so on
Just submitted my edit as you posted, clearly missed 015 on my brief check!

Cheers!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Just submitted my edit as you posted, clearly missed 015 on my brief check!

Cheers!
7D15BDAB-9999-4ECF-8ED3-D665B57E6BB7.jpeg

Quite a novelty at this early stage of the introduction to note all four of these consecutive departures at a completely randomly chosen time at Helsby are 197s. :)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The 197s are all 2-car workings - at least one would have been a 3-car 175 previously.
On the other hand, there are a couple of doubled-up 175s (4/5-car) on peak Manchester trains.
With 3x197s operating, there will be 3x175s freed up for other services.
The 4-car 158 peak Manchester workings are still there.
No Mk4s to/from Cardiff, so 175s are substituting.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The 197s are all 2-car workings - at least one would have been a 3-car 175 previously.
On the other hand, there are a couple of doubled-up 175s (4/5-car) on peak Manchester trains.
With 3x197s operating, there will be 3x175s freed up for other services.
The 4-car 158 peak Manchester workings are still there.
No Mk4s to/from Cardiff, so 175s are substituting.
At the same time it's good the 197s are now on mainline services in North Wales