• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 preservation society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
I noticed this week that both 'The Class 315 Preservation Company Ltd' and 'The Class 315 Restoration Company Ltd' were dissolved last month. I'm not quite sure what the connection is between these two companies and the Preservation Society , but all the directors of the Preservation Company and Restoration Company are part of 'The Team' listed on the Class 315 Preservation Society's website. Anyone know if it will have any effect on the preservation attempt?

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
I noticed this week that both 'The Class 315 Preservation Company Ltd' and 'The Class 315 Restoration Company Ltd' were dissolved last month. I'm not quite sure what the connection is between these two companies and the Preservation Society , but all the directors of the Preservation Company and Restoration Company and part of 'The Team' listed on the Class 315 Preservation Society's website. Anyone know if it will have any effect on the preservation attempt?
Certainly doesn’t sound like a good sign to me…

Established Member
Probably not a good sign but not surprising

No doubt if anyone asks this on their facebook group they will be banned (I was banned for pointing out the email addresses they listed has spaces in them)

43102EMR

Established Member
Probably not a good sign but not surprising

No doubt if anyone asks this on their facebook group they will be banned (I was banned for pointing out the email addresses they listed has spaces in them)
Exactly. In all honesty, the way they behave across their social media platforms and literally beg people for money, you can tell they’re not really sure what they’re doing…

Established Member
Exactly. In all honesty, the way they behave across their social media platforms and literally beg people for money, you can tell they’re not really sure what they’re doing…
I always had the impression they felt they deserve and are entitled to a unit because they drove them.

No business plan, no long term plan, and any knowledgeable questions met with responses about non disclosure agreements etc.

43102EMR

Established Member
I always had the impression they felt they deserve and are entitled to a unit because they drove them.

No business plan, no long term plan, and any knowledgeable questions met with responses about non disclosure agreements etc.
Spot on - besides 313201 is being preserved by the NRM. End of the day, a PEP’s a PEP; not like we’re missing out on much.

On Moderation
Spot on - besides 313201 is being preserved by the NRM. End of the day, a PEP’s a PEP; not like we’re missing out on much.
Is it? First, just because something is designated it doesn't mean the NRM will take it. There's also been occasions where a full train has been designated and just part of it has ultimately been take by the museum: for example, a full HST set was designated, but that's been reduced to two power cars and a buffet car. Second, I can't find a mention of a 313 unit on the RHDAB website: https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org....2020/10/RHC-Designated-Items-Publish-2020.pdf

fgwrich

Established Member
Is it? First, just because something is designated it doesn't mean the NRM will take it. There's also been occasions where a full train has been designated and just part of it has ultimately been take by the museum: for example, a full HST set was designated, but that's been reduced to two power cars and a buffet car. Second, I can't find a mention of a 313 unit on the RHDAB website: https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org....2020/10/RHC-Designated-Items-Publish-2020.pdf

Another example there. Designated, then just the DTS, then sold on before it ever reached any of the SMG museums.

D365

Veteran Member

Nothing else to add here - spot-on.

43102EMR

Established Member
You can’t say this for certain either, so why not wait and see what happens…

On Moderation
You can’t say this for certain either, so why not wait and see what happens…
Can you offer some evidence that a 313 has been designated? I’m not sure that RHDAB is necessarily up-to-date, so it might have been since - but confirmation would be good.

duffman82

Seeming as its still in the hands of its leasing company and in traffic I doubt it will show up on the RHDAD website. Its been publicised once its withdrawn it will pass to the NRM. But again things change so as 43102 has stated wait and see.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Nope, this list shows everything that is currently 'Designated' (the equivalent of a Listed building) by the Railway Heritage Designation Advisory Board. It is a fluid list and notes things that are still in service and may pass to the NRM in future, but it doesn't mean that they will. Private organisations can also have custodianship of designated artefacts - for example, item 894 is Edgware Road's Westinghouse lever frame, which is still part of London Underground but in the custodianship of the London Transport Museum. It was designated in July 2016 but didn't leave daily use until September 2019.

Railway Designation is something wildly misunderstood. If it can be demonstrated that an artefact doesn't contribute anything to the wider railway story (and this is something that will be wildly disputed by enthusiasts, but rightfully is in the hands of qualified, curatorial professionals) then it may be disposed of, or 'de-designated' (these are two separate things).

In many cases, it is often better for vehicles that are hoped to operate, or to be preserved in a way that enthusiasts wish them to be, to not be designated - this removes much of the red tape and allows more intrusive restoration or alteration, rather than conservation.

I don't monitor the RHDAB list as closely as I did following the (imo correct) de-designation of a number of LUL items of interest, but I don't recall 313201/313001 ever being on there - instead it forms part of the NRM's rolling stock strategy; notably operating an EMU at Science Museum Group (the 'parent' of the NRM, also encompassing Locomotion Shildon etc) sites would present challenges within the Designation process.

The reality, however, is that PEPs aren't all that important in the overall development of UK railways when viewed as a whole (and I say this as someone who is a fan of the 315s).

eldomtom2

On Moderation
(and this is something that will be wildly disputed by enthusiasts, but rightfully is in the hands of qualified, curatorial professionals)
I take umbrage at the paternalistic attitude that the historical importance of items can be objectively determined.
then it may be disposed of, or 'de-designated' (these are two separate things).
But in practice the same thing, since museums usually don't keep de-designated items and "disposal" in a museum context usually means looking for someone else to take the item, not destruction.

On Moderation
Railway Designation is something wildly misunderstood. If it can be demonstrated that an artefact doesn't contribute anything to the wider railway story (and this is something that will be wildly disputed by enthusiasts, but rightfully is in the hands of qualified, curatorial professionals) then it may be disposed of, or 'de-designated' (these are two separate things).
Given the junk that is included on the RHDAB list, and the junk undoubtedly stored at the NRM "for the nation" but never likely to see the light of day again, I'd dispute that about curatorial professionals.
In many cases, it is often better for vehicles that are hoped to operate, or to be preserved in a way that enthusiasts wish them to be, to not be designated - this removes much of the red tape and allows more intrusive restoration or alteration, rather than conservation.
Fully agreed on this point.

StephenHunter

Established Member
The VSOE sleepers have been fitted with air conditioning precisely to cater for a modern audience.

t_star2001uk

I dont know if this has been posted yet but the 315 Preservation company has been dissolved as of 19/04/2022..

43102EMR

Established Member
I dont know if this has been posted yet but the 315 Preservation company has been dissolved as of 19/04/2022..
Posted further up the thread - this doesn’t bring much hope (as expected by many) as to the preservation of a 315…

Status
Not open for further replies.