• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
SWR's "cleaning" regime reminds me a bit of railways like Belgium and Slovenia where they only graffiti from around vehicles numbers and technical data. SWR just cleaned the patch around the numbers rather than doing the whole job. Just sums up the whole SWR mindset.
It's the 159 Fleet that makes me laugh. Who's idea was it to paint the roofs of those white?...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
It's the 159 Fleet that makes me laugh. Who's idea was it to paint the roofs of those white?...
I like the way XC have turned the roofs of their Voyagers from Virgin red to match the XC brown colour - just don't wash the roof.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Please clean it before the next one gets delivered. It's got washing problems !

Recessio

Never mind dirty exteriors, I wonder how long it will be before the passengers trash the interiors to match the Networkers...

fgwrich

Established Member
Never mind dirty exteriors, I wonder how long it will be before the passengers trash the interiors to match the Networkers...

I did wonder sadly. At least the design of the 707s should make them easier to clean, particularly under the seats.

Must have got the idea from Chiltern, who also paint the roofs white.

There is / was that, though Chiltern at least manage to keep them looking fairly white. Unlike the SWR version...

Last edited:

Juniper Driver

Established Member
SWR's "cleaning" regime reminds me a bit of railways like Belgium and Slovenia where they only graffiti from around vehicles numbers and technical data. SWR just cleaned the patch around the numbers rather than doing the whole job. Just sums up the whole SWR mindset.
It's a nice touch...At least I can see the unit numbers.

Snow1964

Established Member

I bet it is quite hard to use a carriage washer, and only clean selected parts of the surface. :p

py_megapixel

Established Member
I bet it is quite hard to use a carriage washer, and only clean selected parts of the surface. :p
I have heard that the carriage washers struggle to reach the end walls of the carriages well enough to clean them properly. Of course this isn't entirely surprising but I assume it means those have to be cleaned separately.

Fincra5

Established Member
I have heard that the carriage washers struggle to reach the end walls of the carriages well enough to clean them properly. Of course this isn't entirely surprising but I assume it means those have to be cleaned separately.
The other thing is, soapy water doesn't work as well as the ACID washes of old.. but AFAIK ACID washes aren't allowed in a normal carriage washer anymore.

Goldfish62

Established Member
SWT had stopped cleaning the ends of their Desiros and 458s years ago, but this seems to have spread to the whole fleet now.

At least the 707s will fit in well at South Eastern in this respect. :D

Juniper Driver

Established Member

Well we go through them, but the brushes don't spin round.

The other thing is, soapy water doesn't work as well as the ACID washes of old.. but AFAIK ACID washes aren't allowed in a normal carriage washer anymore.

Ah, I forgot what that stuff was called... Was it Exmover or something?

Fincra5

Established Member
Well we go through them, but the brushes don't spin round.

Ohh not sure what it was called!

Metal_gee_man

Just spotted a post on LinkedIn by the makers of the ‘Interactive virtual train’ software for various TOC’s. They've updated the program from flash to HTML, but have also updated its livery to what I assume southeastern have told them it will be.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/5-lamps-media_ivt-flash-to-html-activity-6778650640114565120-5fKl
It looks a bit meh...sadly! I know they're not Mainline rolling stock, but they'd look sooooooo much better in the Royal Blue/Purple livery. But hey a train with increased capacity is a plus.

Chiltern006

i doubt its gonna be that livery as se confirmed it was going to be based around the mainline livery on a) on track summer mag and b) training document

but we will see. it seems stupid putting a train into a livery which won't match the bulk of the fleet ig

ScotGG

Established Member
It looks a bit meh...sadly! I know they're not Mainline rolling stock, but they'd look sooooooo much better in the Royal Blue/Purple livery. But hey a train with increased capacity is a plus.
We still dont know if it is increased capacity do we? If they remove 376s for these then there's pretty much no extra capacity.

Class 466

Established Member
We still dont know if it is increased capacity do we? If they remove 376s for these then there's pretty much no extra capacity.

In the internally produced YouTube video shared further up it clearly stated 707s were replacing some of our oldest and unreliable Networkers. 376s aren’t going anywhere.

i doubt its gonna be that livery as se confirmed it was going to be based around the mainline livery on a) on track summer mag and b) training document

but we will see. it seems stupid putting a train into a livery which won't match the bulk of the fleet ig

They’ll also be going into the all over blue Southeastern livery (which isn’t “mainline” or anything like that). Southeastern went through a rebrand in 2015 and that’s when all over blue became the livery.

Mikey C

Established Member
In the internally produced YouTube video shared further up it clearly stated 707s were replacing some of our oldest and unreliable Networkers. 376s aren’t going anywhere.

They’ll also be going into the all over blue Southeastern livery (which isn’t “mainline” or anything like that). Southeastern went through a rebrand in 2015 and that’s when all over blue became the livery.
I still find it bizarre that we still don't know the definitive plans for what they will be replacing. After all surely you can't just dump trains, wouldn't the leasing company have something to say about that? It's not as if Networkers will be sought after by other operators...

On Moderation
I still find it bizarre that we still don't know the definitive plans for what they will be replacing. After all surely you can't just dump trains, wouldn't the leasing company have something to say about that? It's not as if Networkers will be sought after by other operators...
You can stop using them, but you won't find many ROSCOs who will just take trains back in the middle of their lease unless they have to contractually. You can keep paying and not using if you like, but they have to be returned in working order.

Mikey C

Established Member
You can stop using them, but you won't find many ROSCOs who will just take trains back in the middle of their lease unless they have to contractually. You can keep paying and not using if you like, but they have to be returned in working order.
No operator would pay for some additional trains while still paying for older ones!

Class 466

Established Member
There are definitely plans for those Networkers that do find themselves out of use, although what happens and when depends on the cascade of 707s.
remember the current timetable and then the one from May to December is still a large reduction on the number of units used before COVID.

brad465

Established Member
There are definitely plans for those Networkers that do find themselves out of use, although what happens and when depends on the cascade of 707s.
remember the current timetable and then the one from May to December is still a large reduction on the number of units used before COVID.
While this is still uncertain I imagine, the May 2022 timetable currently proposed sounds like a step up of units will be required (of course some Networkers could leave and there still be a net increase if the number of carriages leaving is less than the number arriving with the 707s).

Domh245

Established Member

Perhaps slightly different though when the ROSCO is already leasing the "unreliable old Networkers" to SE, and have a bunch of spare modern EMUs on their hand. Given they'd have to store some trains regardless, getting the more expensive to lease units out & earning instead of the cheaper ones (which they may or may not have plans in mind for) is no doubt a win

Energy

Established Member
Perhaps slightly different though when the ROSCO is already leasing the "unreliable old Networkers" to SE, and have a bunch of spare modern EMUs on their hand. Given they'd have to store some trains regardless, getting the more expensive to lease units out & earning instead of the cheaper ones (which they may or may not have plans in mind for) is no doubt a win
Lots of the networkers are owned by Angel who also own the 707s. I would imagine a deal has been done with Angel to get swap some of the networkers for 707s.

Status
Not open for further replies.