• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
If I remember the explanation previously given, it didn't play very nicely with the substations at various places. Theoretically the standard renewal process will have weeded out quite a few places where the regen brake would previously have needed isolating, but I strongly suspect that the work required to recommission the regen brake after so long and then test it is really not worth it compared to "they're leaving soon anyway".

365 Networker

If I remember the explanation previously given, it didn't play very nicely with the substations at various places. Theoretically the standard renewal process will have weeded out quite a few places where the regen brake would previously have needed isolating, but I strongly suspect that the work required to recommission the regen brake after so long and then test it is really not worth it compared to "they're leaving soon anyway".
There were actually a few odd units with the dynamic brake on a few years ago - here is a video:-
So that suggests that infrastructure is not as much of a problem - but possibly the units themselves? I don't know if there are any odd units left with the dynamic brake on.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I remember them all (or quite a number) being active when I was a child, but then I also remember the 4CIGs at a similar time. "Not playing nice" with the supply is what I remeber being said - but you're really testing my ignorance now!

A pity, because I adore the sound of the GTOs.

365 Networker

I remember them all (or quite a number) being active when I was a child, but then I also remember the 4CIGs at a similar time. "Not playing nice" with the supply is what I remeber being said - but you're really testing my ignorance now!

A pity, because I adore the sound of the GTOs.
You may be interested in this DVD then:-
The Sliding Door DC EMU South Eastern Class 319 - 700 (1986 - 2019) 4 Disc Set (videoscene.co.uk)
It contains many videos showing 465s back in the 90s with their dynamic brakes and even some of the 365s when they where on DC.

Class 466

Established Member
There were actually a few odd units with the dynamic brake on a few years ago - here is a video:-
So that suggests that infrastructure is not as much of a problem - but possibly the units themselves? I don't know if there are any odd units left with the dynamic brake on.
This was using rheostatic braking rather than regenerative (both are forms of dynamic braking). Regenerative would cause issues with the infrastructure on these, however rheostatic releases that energy as heat, and they were never that good at dispelling all that heat afterwards.

Roast Veg

Established Member
To tell you the truth I never knew they had rheostatic brakes - I assumed they didn't because the radiators weren't obvious.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Two unbranded 707's @ Wimbledon (depot) today (visible from the main lines and suburban lines)......One looked like 707008...Couldn't see the other...This was about 9:10am...Also, a 456 on the same road horrifically graffitied on one whole coach...Horrendous...

When I got back at just after 1pm the 707's had gone…

Gag Halfrunt

The graffitied 456 has its own thread.

brad465

Established Member
Yes as it happens I went past Gillingham Depot earlier today and saw a 707 there, although until seeing this update assumed they'd been going there a while relatively speaking.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Two unbranded 707's @ Wimbledon (depot) today (visible from the main lines and suburban lines)......One looked like 707008...Couldn't see the other...
If they've stuck to the plan that was posted on here recently, the other should have been 707 007 shouldn't it?

Can anyone verify if the plan is still as it was?

mister-sparky

There’s a 707 stabled at Ashford, couldn’t see the unit number, are they just here for storage or something else?

ComUtoR

Established Member
yes it is the current plan, with 009 and 010 due in July
3/4 (at Ashford)
5/6
7/8 due at the weekend
9/10 due (if your plan is correct) in July

Where are 1/2 ? Are they not coming over in order or are 1/2 held back for a specific reason ?

Cheers in advance.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a 707 stabled at Ashford, couldn’t see the unit number, are they just here for storage or something else?
They’re doing gauging and training runs out of Ashford as per a number of earlier posts in this thread, certainly not just storage.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I don't believe any platform testing has been carried out yet.

The unit at Ashford is currently being used for Shunter training.

JammyJames08

That is correct, 5 were selected for testing (901/906/913/916 and 928) in about 2017, it didn’t last long and by mid 2018 it was discontinued, 916 was the only unit I drove with it working, sounded like the old days post delivery!

I saw 707006 on test at gravesend yesterday.

Class 466

Established Member
707007/008 are with southeastern, 6 units down, 24 to go. Thing to keep an eye on next is the Networkers.

brad465

Established Member
707007/008 are with southeastern, 6 units down, 24 to go. Thing to keep an eye on next is the Networkers.
Are there any withdrawal plans finalised for them yet, or do we at least know when 707s will start being deployed into passenger service? I'm guessing something will have to go into storage if 707s start running fully in the next few months given Chart Leacon hasn't looked ready when I've passed it recently.

Which, come to think of it, where are 707s being stored at the moment while on test duties (apologies if I've missed this in previous discussion)?

Status
Not open for further replies.