• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 to Southeastern Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spotter

707001 is out in service now, not sure about 707004
004 has been in Gillingham depot on 7 road for weeks now still in red with another unidentified unit at the country end. been told thats its too cold to apply the blue transfers as they dont adhere too good to the red body

Mikey C

Established Member
004 has been in Gillingham depot on 7 road for weeks now still in red with another unidentified unit at the country end. been told thats its too cold to apply the blue transfers as they dont adhere too good to the red body
It's been in double figures today :D

Stephen42

003 would be the other one. All the rest including 002 and 025 are now in blue.

Aside from 003/004 units seem to rotate between passenger service/training runs/unallocated. With only 10 out of 18 in service each weekday probably not that urgent to get 003/004 done.

Mikey C

Established Member
Had my first ride on a Southeastern 707 today. Slightly ridiculous the way they're pushing the trains and the Citybeam brand name, which even appears on the platform destination screens, as if they were something special!

physics34

Established Member
Had my first ride on a Southeastern 707 today. Slightly ridiculous the way they're pushing the trains and the Citybeam brand name, which even appears on the platform destination screens, as if they were something special!
Low standards have our railways now. They are a step backwards even. No loos.

Mikey C

Established Member
Low standards have our railways now. They are a step backwards even. No loos.
And EVEN if they were a massive step up, they're only a small sub fleet anyway, so the majority of journeys will still be by Networker or 376, so it's not as if it's a complete fleet replacement.

brad465

Established Member
And EVEN if they were a massive step up, they're only a small sub fleet anyway, so the majority of journeys will still be by Networker or 376, so it's not as if it's a complete fleet replacement.
Yes this is just a stop gap PR stunt to stick a plaster over the problem. The reality is while the Networkers that have gone to store are likely to have seen their last days of service, the majority of the fleet left have a good few years at least, as no replacement order has been lined up, and even when one is, a combination of the fleet size needed, and the delays we've seen getting SWR's 701s into service, suggest a long wait. I would have thought that if the benefits of one large fleet for metro services outweigh costs, then chances are a new fleet will also replace the 376s and 707s, so the latter will once again be finding a new home after maybe just 10 years of service, if that.

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes, they are a massive step down compared to the loo-less, un-airconditioned 376s.
At least the 376s have seats I can actually fit in - the Desiro City seats are too close to the wall, meaning that the person sitting in the window seat sprawls into the aisle seat

jon0844

Veteran Member
At least the 376s have seats I can actually fit in - the Desiro City seats are too close to the wall, meaning that the person sitting in the window seat sprawls into the aisle seat

I am sure that in time people will get used to the interior, just as they have elsewhere. Nobody complains about the seats on a 700 or 717 now. People seem able to sit near the window without having to struggle to get comfortable.

As trains are now getting very busy, people are happy to have some space and probably consider that more important than anything else.

They're not inter-city trains and aren't there to provide tremendous comfort to occupants.. just to shift loads of them to their destination, hopefully without fault. I read that in 28 days of running last year, the 717s had just one reported issue in 130,000 miles of service.

Goldfish62

Established Member
But there are no seat spacers on the Networkers.

Mikey C

Established Member
But there are no seat spacers on the Networkers.
With 5 across seating, you need to be the 4th person to occupy the row before you have to squeeze next to someone, whereas with narrow 4 across seating, you only need to be the 3rd person.

I am sure that in time people will get used to the interior, just as they have elsewhere. Nobody complains about the seats on a 700 or 717 now. People seem able to sit near the window without having to struggle to get comfortable.
Highly debatable (without taking this thread off topic)

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
I actually think Connex got a lot right about the interiors of the 376s. They were the first proper S-bahn-type unit IMO (rather than simply cramming in loads of 3+2 seating with no thought to circulation around the doors or standing areas).

ComUtoR

Established Member

When 376s were introduced the seat design was so bad it increased pickpocketing.

fgwrich

Established Member
707028 has appeared back at Wimbledon TCD today…

It's sent to use the Lathe there
Returning back to South Eastern metals tonight on this move:

traji00

It's sent to use the Lathe there

Returning back to South Eastern metals tonight on this move:

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the replies.

brad465

Established Member
Saw 707009 and 003 through Crayford today on one of the Cannon St Loop services, so looks like they're now getting weekend work (they may have been for a while but I've only just noticed).

Status
Not open for further replies.