• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strat-tastic

Established Member
I would like to nominate people using obscure acronyms without explaining what said acronym means :p

Forum mods who don't uphold the rules :p

Describing temperatures above 25C as nice/good weather rather than evil sweat/smell inducing trouble8-)

Weather forecasters who tell you tonight's going to be 'uncomfortable for sleeping'. I mean, why? I've just had two nights' poor sleep and now I learn there's more misery on the way!
How on earth is that remotely helpful or encouraging?

“Saved by the woodwork”
If it doesn’t go in it wasn’t on target and therefore didn’t need, and wasn’t, saved. It missed.
And it’s almost Certainly not wood anyway……

Calling it unlucky. No, you weren't skillful enough to get it on target.

In future I would like banned the phrase 'going forward'. :!:

Pit_buzzer

No one has yet mentioned the most irritating thing in the world, cars with plastic wheel trims held on by cable ties, absolutely the work of the devil!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
But when a computer can do a task just as efficiently as a human, what is the point in a human doing it?
A computer can do many tasks, including changing gear, better than most humans.

No engine means automatics get through brakes much quicker.
Automatics are also really annoying,and riskier, to follow downhill
Brakes? I hardly use them, automatic or manual. I leave gaps, coast up to junctions, going downhill auto or manual I engage low gear.

Care to elaborate on the last sentence, "risky to follow"?

Last edited:

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Idiots who fit massive exhausts to their piddly little early 2000s Vauxhall Corsa (other cars are available) thinking it makes them look cool for having a "sporty" car when in actuality it makes them look like ridiculous boy racers which produce a needlessly loud racket when out on the streets.

nw1

Established Member
Here are a few PT related (remembering of course that this is a light-hearted thread and all of these are based on my 'gut feelings' rather than hard-nosed financial logic).

Bus schedules that decrease in frequency in the peak, due to using the same number of vehicles and longer time allowance due to congestion.

Replacing units that are less than 20 years old - unless it's replacing diesel with electric or bi-mode trains on electrification.

Rail timetables with no peak extras (dull and predictable)

Running all routes as self-contained routes (dull and predictable, again)

Running half-empty 12-car trains around all day when 4 or 8 would suffice, in the name of reducing coupling/de-coupling movements either side of the peak (dull and predictable, yet again)

Over-frequent off-peak train schedules leading to the railway being jammed (e.g. 20 min rather than 30 min frequency off-peak London to Birmingham and Manchester)

The messy hodge-podge of Thameslink's southern part. I'd have them all go to East Croydon and then, apart from the Brightons (4tph), have them focus on branches in that area (Caterham, Tattenham, East Grinstead and Reigate). Much 'nicer' and less 'messy', and more in the style of similar overseas concepts such as the RER.

(Apologies if this has been posted already: I posted it and then unintentionally pressed the wrong key and it seemed to be deleted!)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Idiots who fit massive exhausts to their piddly little early 2000s Vauxhall Corsa (other cars are available) thinking it makes them look cool for having a "sporty" car when in actuality it makes them look like ridiculous boy racers which produce a needlessly loud racket when out on the streets.

And people that then drive around in said car with one arm nonchalantly dangling out the window like they’re driving a low rider around LA.
It doesn’t work. You have to take your arm back in every time you change gear you absolute tool!

py_megapixel

Established Member
And people that then drive around in said car with one arm nonchalantly dangling out the window like they’re driving a low rider around LA.
It doesn’t work. You have to take your arm back in every time you change gear you absolute tool!
I think if we're going to base vehicle excise duty on CO₂ emissions it should also take into consideration noise emissions, measured at MOT not the manufacturer estimates.

I'd also ban calling vehicle excise duty 'road tax'.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think if we're going to base vehicle excise duty on CO₂ emissions it should also take into consideration noise emissions, measured at MOT not the manufacturer estimates.

I'd also ban calling vehicle excise duty 'road tax'.

Totally agree. We live next to a fairly busy road and the noise some vehicles make is insane.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Especially motorbikes!

God yeah. There’s someone that has some kind of scrambling bike who goes past at around 10pm some evenings and you can hear it for miles into the distance. It’s louder than when a 37 goes past!

Meerkat

Established Member
Brakes? I hardly use them, automatic or manual. I leave gaps, coast up to junctions, going downhill auto or manual I engage low gear.
So not automatic then!
Care to elaborate on the last sentence, "risky to follow"?
They go downhill with brakelights on all the time so you have to be really on the ball watching out for if they change from braking to BRAKING!!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
So not automatic then!

They go downhill with brakelights on all the time so you have to be really on the ball watching out for if they change from braking to BRAKING!!
Simples, just leave a bigger gap, more relaxing too.

Not driven an automatic for a while (owned one once), but I thought one could select a low gear, put it in 3 for example. Does one have to use the brake in a modern automatic?

Meerkat

Established Member

Not driven an automatic for a while (owned one once), but I thought one could select a low gear, put it in 3 for example. Does one have to use the brake in a modern automatic?
The bigger gap doesn’t stop it being riskier than the big gap without constant brake lights.
Its not really automatic if you have to manually intervene, and that’s probably why most don’t do it - they bought an automatic so they didn’t have to bother.

Spamcan81

Correct. There's as much engine braking available on an auto as a manual - I drive both - if you select a lower gear. I'm a regular visitor to North Yorkshire and there's some pretty steep hills up there which I descend in my automatic Land Rover without having to rely on the brakes.

The bigger gap doesn’t stop it being riskier than the big gap without constant brake lights.
Its not really automatic if you have to manually intervene, and that’s probably why most don’t do it - they bought an automatic so they didn’t have to bother.

Again you show little knowledge of how an automatic works, how to drive one and why people buy them. Also plenty of manual drivers descend hills on their brakes rather than use low gear. How do you know you're following an automatic anyway? None of the automatics I've owned have had the word "automatic" displayed on the vehicle.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

And how much the money they spent on it could have been spent on something useful...

bspahh

Established Member
In the past automatics didn't have enough gears, and with a torque converter, they were heavy and inefficient on fuel.

Dual clutch autos came along, with same number of gears and economy to a manual box, so I bought a Ford with a 6 speed Getrag powershift gearbox. The gear changes were smoother than I would do, although sometimes it would change gear and the wrong time, reacting to when there was a hill, when I could have been in the right gear before the hill.

A couple of months later, it gave an error message, lost half the gears and needed £3000 of repairs (a plastic bracket had broken). I kept it for a year and there were similar errors every so often, but they didn't need major expense to fix. I changed the car for a similar one with a manual gearbox, which has just worked, with no error messages, and no £250 oil changes.

There isn't much point in a manual gearbox for an electric car. I don't want a manual control for advance and retard, and I'm happy to not need a manual choke, when an automatic system works properly. However, right now, I'm happy to have a manual transmission.

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
No you don't. Unless you are turning tightly you can take your hand off the wheel for the second it takes to change gear easily.

Er... I have been told.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
While we're on car stuff, the "auto stop/start" feature that's become commonplace on most cars in the last 15 years. Firstly, it's greenwashing. Secondly, it massively reduces the lifespan of your battery. Thirdly, back in the old days if I was in a queue I could choose when to switch my engine off and generally did. The auto stop/start usually decides to cut out just as the queue starts moving.

westv

Established Member
No you don't. Unless you are turning tightly you can take your hand off the wheel for the second it takes to change gear easily.

Er... I have been told.
So maybe not so easy when you have to do a handbrake turn.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Rail timetables with no peak extras (dull and predictable)

Whereas, IMHO, I would ban;

Routes where the Sunday service frequency and stops are the same as the rest of the week, but on completely different times.

Routes where in the peaks, the regular off-peak pattern is abandoned for a seemingly random sequence, rather than strengthening trains and if required adding extra services between the off-peak pattern.

Running all routes as self-contained routes (dull and predictable, again)

Whereas, again in IMHO, I would ban:

Services which interwork sets and crews between completely different routes, meaning that any disruption is spread far beyond the origin instead of being confined to one route only.

In my experience 'dull and predictable' services are both what the public wants, and much easier for Operations Controls to manage !

jfollows

Established Member
While we're on car stuff, the "auto stop/start" feature that's become commonplace on most cars in the last 15 years. Firstly, it's greenwashing. Secondly, it massively reduces the lifespan of your battery. Thirdly, back in the old days if I was in a queue I could choose when to switch my engine off and generally did. The auto stop/start usually decides to cut out just as the queue starts moving.
I'm in total agreement with you.

I mean, if I drove into Warrington and the Ship Canal bridge was closed to traffic, of course I'd turn my engine off. At traffic lights, no. The first thing I do when driving my latest car is to disable the auto stop/start. In due course I may try and do this permanently. Just so that VW (in this case) can claim better mpg than in reality.

I once had it on a hire car in France, and stopped at a toll booth. Having paid, I tried to set off, and felt like I was going to crash because I couldn't turn the steering wheel because of course the power steering wasn't working either. Fortunately it was only an unpleasant illusion.

Intercity 225

People who use upspeak or upward inflections.
In a similar vein I’ll say people who say “yer know” at the end of every sentence. Professional footballers often have this trait and it’s evident when they’re being interviewed.

e.g. “I like playing with Smith because erm… yer know”

I just think “no I don’t know, how about you tell me why you like playing with Smith”.

FatContr0ller

Katie Hopkins and Nigel Farage

Rap music and other similar nonsense

People who say expresso rather than espresso

Comic sans apart from in primary schools

The use of the word “hun” apart from when describing Germans

Limp handshakes

Michael Macintyre

Smoking

Cheese and onion crisps
Isnt expresso the faster version? xD (terrible joke I know, but in my pre rail days I ran a coffee shop)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Isnt expresso the faster version? xD (terrible joke I know, but in my pre rail days I ran a coffee shop)
The reason the word expresso gained traction here was the 1959 film Expresso Bongo, the main storyline of which was the discovery of a singer in one of the new-fangled coffee bars that had sprung up in Soho and other city centres. Bear in mind that is was an extended cinema version of the first British pop/beat TV programme 6 5 Special (theme song 'The 6 5 Special's coming down the line, the 6 5 Special's right on time'), so a train theme was built in. Lonnie Donegan's 'Rock Island Line' before that has claim to be GB's first beat record. Some thought the show's producer Jack Good was God!

ivorytoast28

Neighbours should only be able to do loud renovations/hammering for 2 weeks a year and even then not on the weekend
The word "pingdemic" should never be used again. As should saying "based" or "chad" or whatever other word makes you think you're cool or edgy
Labelling products chick'n when they're vegan, nothing wrong with vegan products but make it clear so I don't bite into something awful from a boots mealdeal
Restaurant menus should have all allergens listed , as a priority ahead of V which isn't an allergy
Ban smoking in city centres/outside pubs etc
Ban talking on the phone on trains