• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Comedic "things you would ban": minor things that irritate you

superjohn

Cars with an automatic transmission. :) More versatile, can be told to do exactly what you want when necessary, not what it thinks is best.
Though I agree that manuals will slowly die out (unfortunately!).
For all but the most extreme off road situations that kind of control is entirely unnecessary. For normal driving an automatic does know best, in terms of maintaining control, fuel efficiency and protecting the mechanical components.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Getting back to things I would ban:
Cars with manual transmission!

Alright until the transmission needs repair or replacing. Also, bear in mind the large number of accidents caused when older drivers decide it is easier to drive an automatic, then can't operate them properly, panic and stamp on the accelerator and drive though wall or over cliffs.

miklcct

On Moderation
Banning dogs on buses / trains.

I'm surprised that people can do that in the UK. Dogs are fierce and scare people.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
But when a computer can do a task just as efficiently as a human, what is the point in a human doing it?

It depends on how the computer has been programmed or what instructions have been input. There is no such thing as a computer error or mistake as computers can only do what a human being has told it to do.

I have 2 automatics - a Range Rover & a Mondeo both have the option to switch to Manual, I've never done it in either, why would you?

Is this still the case that if you pass a driving test in a vehicle with a manual gearbox, that you can drive both manual and automatic gearbox vehicles, but can only drive automatics if you have passed a test in a vehicle that has an automatic gearbox?

gg1

Established Member
Alright until the transmission needs repair or replacing. Also, bear in mind the large number of accidents caused when older drivers decide it is easier to drive an automatic, then can't operate them properly, panic and stamp on the accelerator and drive though wall or over cliffs.
If someone's driving has deteriorated to the point they're an accident waiting to happen, it will happen regardless of whether they're driving an automatic or a manual. The older people I know who switch to manuals all did so for health reasons, such as arthritis in the knees making it uncomfortable to use a clutch.

Agree with your first point when talking about dual clutch or torque converter auto boxes, they tend to wear our quicker than manual boxes and more expensive to replace when they do (especially dual clutch boxes), something to consider if you buy older cars. CVTs are supposedly more reliable than manuals but they're horrible to drive.

nlogax

Established Member
Cars with manual transmission!
I’ve just had a manual courtesy car for a day and I am baffled as to who is buying these things.

People who like to control how their car drives and when they change gear.

That said my next car will be an auto. Middle age has afforded me the right to be lazy with my left foot.

TPO

Can I ban the people at the other end of this carriage playing music loud enough for me to hear? Please?

Yes, even better every carriage should have a bucket of water at the end with a slotted lid into which any person being irritated by antisocial phone use is entitled to drop the phone of an offending person, with offenses including watching video/listening to music without ear-phones, using ear-phones which leak sound, playing a game or using a phone with the thing that beeps for each key input, and overly-loud and irritating phone conversations.

Even if this was in only "quiet" carriages it would be a blessing......

TPO

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Despite the fact that I dislike his politics, I do think Lydon is more intelligent than that.
He then formed PiL and wrote some interesting-sounding lyrics, though I have to admit that I do not fully understand what they mean.

In 1990 they did the ecologically-themed "Don't Ask Me" which seemed to be a high point in his political stance. He seems to have gone downhill a lot in that respect in the past 5 years. Then again, perhaps 1989/90 was a high point in the political stance of much of the world... (Berlin wall falling, Nelson Mandela released, concern about ecological issues, rejection of Thatcherism, etc...)

Morrissey is another odd mix of left and right when it comes to politics. Anti-Thatcher, anti-Trump, pro-animal-rights... but stridently pro-Brexit, may have an affinity with English nationalism, and has been accused of racism by some.

Yes, that's the one. Definitely not LeAnn Rimes, who I also remember.

Is John Lydon now controversially right wing ?

I'd come to the conclusion that he's intelligent and has a pretty nuanced view of politics (battled the establishment but maintains a comprehension of the traditional working class)

That said, music wise, I'm more Bee Gees than punk.

Gloster

Established Member
John Lydon is not right- or left-wing: he is just pro-John Lydon. He always was, but in his early days he was an unknown who did not have an a back-catalogue of self-serving statements.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That bit there though, I did smile at the pedantry!
I smiled at the wit!

Although a good thing to have came from that was it also catapulted the TV presenter Bill Grundy to fame (even though most of the UK population had never heard of him, and he was also a drunken pervert). Grundy was never heard of again since after that famous interview, and is a case of 'Where is he now"?
He was a hard drinker, as so many journalists of his day were, but I have heard no evidence of him being a pervert: perhaps you're mixing him up with Stuart Hall.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I smiled at the wit!

He was a hard drinker, as so many journalists of his day were, but I have heard no evidence of him being a pervert: perhaps you're mixing him up with Stuart Hall.

Yes, I always felt uneasy about how he apparently had his career ended because of someone else's naughty language.

Meerkat

Established Member
For all but the most extreme off road situations that kind of control is entirely unnecessary. For normal driving an automatic does know best, in terms of maintaining control, fuel efficiency and protecting the mechanical components.
No engine means automatics get through brakes much quicker.
Automatics are also really annoying,and riskier, to follow downhill

dgl

Established Member
Kraftwerk have stated their intention was to create pop music that sounded German. In their youth the German pop scene was either British/American bands or native bands trying to sound like them, there was very little truly German music. To that end they built instruments and equipment that enabled them to create the sound they wanted. About as true to the DIY punk ethos as you can get.

The Sex Pistols were 100% manufactured, years before we used that term.
Heavily influenced by the Beach Boys, stating that the beach boys sounded like America and they wanted to be a German version of that.

Ostrich

Card readers at check-outs.

Especially ones which tell me to remove my card.
And then do it again.
And again ....... <(

bspahh

Established Member
Tills that think a bag is an unexpected item in a bagging area

Bevan Price

Established Member
That happened to my house some years ago, fortunately without serious damage to anything or anybody. Neighbour lost control, and car shot backwards across lawn, and collided with corner of porch. Minor shift of porch, and needed attention of a handyman before I could open the front door.

pdeaves

Established Member
Electric bikes. Well, not outright; those who have a genuine need can have them, just ban them from those who could easily actually get exercise.

Note, lighthearted thread, don't get carried away arguing who should fit into each category!