• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

ExRes

Established Member
Just been looking at the BBC Cricket web site. On the list of fixtures, why are the second division ones shown higher in the text than the first division ones ?

I think, if you mean the present fixtures, it's because the 2nd division Surrey v Hants match started on Saturday while the three 1st division matches at Middlesex, Somerset and Warwickshire started on sunday, the only other reason I can think of is that it's a long way up from 2nd division to 1st so they need a head start

;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think, if you mean the present fixtures, it's because the 2nd division Surrey v Hants match started on Saturday while the three 1st division matches at Middlesex, Somerset and Warwickshire started on sunday, the only other reason I can think of is that it's a long way up from 2nd division to 1st so they need a head start

;)

You may be right, as a viewing of the fixtures section of the website this morning now shows the first division fixtures shown first in the list.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
********************************************************************************************

In the Derbyshire v India match, Derbyshire recovered from being 115-4 at one stage to close on 326-5, helped in no small matter by an inspired knock by Durston, who scored 95 from 79 balls, with 2x6 and 11x4, before being dismissed.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
In the Derbyshire v India match, Derbyshire recovered from being 115-4 at one stage to close on 326-5, helped in no small matter by an inspired knock by Durston, who scored 95 from 79 balls, with 2x6 and 11x4, before being dismissed.

It's a typical Duncan Fletcher practice match, isn't it? Not first class, 18 members of the touring party playing against 12 from Derbyshire. Like you, I'm sure, I remember the days when the visit of the touring team to the County Ground was one of the season's highlights!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's a typical Duncan Fletcher practice match, isn't it? Not first class, 18 members of the touring party playing against 12 from Derbyshire. Like you, I'm sure, I remember the days when the visit of the touring team to the County Ground was one of the season's highlights!

I wondered why no less than nine bowlers were used by India, one of which only bowled one over costing 11 runs. Not quite the farce of the wicket-keeper trundling up off a short length and turning over his arm with his pads on, but not so very far removed...:D

Indeed I do recall being at Old Trafford in the 1950's and 1960's when touring sides played Lancashire.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A rather perplexing game at Headingley this evening. Durham scratched their way to 123/9 from their twenty overs mostly thanks to what proved to be a decisive tenth wicket partnership of 29* between Breese and Rushworth.

Yorkshire then got to the end of the powerplay for the loss of one wicket for 47 runs before promptly collapsing to 95 all out! The Yorkshire run chase included three run outs and eight very economical overs from Borthwick and Collingwood. It seems a pitch on which spin did well with nine wickets in the match falling to spinners.

ExRes

Established Member
A rather perplexing game at Headingley this evening. Durham scratched their way to 123/9 from their twenty overs mostly thanks to what proved to be a decisive tenth wicket partnership of 29* between Breese and Rushworth.

Yorkshire then got to the end of the powerplay for the loss of one wicket for 47 runs before promptly collapsing to 95 all out! The Yorkshire run chase included three run outs and eight very economical overs from Borthwick and Collingwood. It seems a pitch on which spin did well with nine wickets in the match falling to spinners.

Was Lou Vincent playing ?

;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Surely someone would suffer an injury? Possibly herself!?

Is there such a dismissal as..."Chest before wicket"..:D
*******************************************************************************************

Moving away from matters jovial....

MCC v Rest of World

Rest of World....169-5 (1st innings)...32 overs

After a good half-century opening stand, they then went from 54 without loss to 68-5 (suffering from the contagious dreaded England middle-order collapse syndrome ?) with Kevin Pietersen out for 10 but there has now been an unbroken century stand between Singh and Collingwood.

A notable bowling return so far from Ajmal....4-0-9-4.
The Rest of the World went on to score 293-7 in their 50 overs

Singh 132 (6x6, 8x4)

M.C.C....296-3 (50 overs)

Finch 181 not out (6x6, 23x4)....a tremendous batting performance

Kevin Pietersen's bowling return 2-0-29-0 (to follow on from his score of 10)

Last edited:

Established Member
Kevin Pietersen's bowling return 2-0-29-0 (to follow on from his score of 10)

No doubt trying to prove he has all the credentials for a return to the England side, which according to the BBC website "my job application is still there" :roll:

Meanwhile I expect Alistair Cook to buy Brett Lee a beer sometime, although no doubt secretly wishing that delivery would have stopped Warne talking rather than just bowling ;)

Cletus

Established Member
Andrew Strauss called Kevin Pietersen a very naughty 'c' word off air, but on air in Australia. :oops:

Chapeltom

Established Member
Went to Buxton Cricket Club yesterday. What a shame the biggest sized town in this league has the worst team!

Derbyshire & Cheshire League Division Two - 45 overs
Buxton 148/9 - 45 overs
Hollingworth 151/4 - 34 overs, Hollingworth win by 6 wickets

A morning of indecision, awake at 9am but heavy overnight rain made me overly cautious. By 11am I only had a few options, Buxton, Compstall or New Mills. I made the decision to make the short trip by train to Buxton as it was the easiest and was between the bottom two clubs in the bottom division. My feeling in the week had been to travel by train down the Glossop Line and head to one of Broadbottom, Dinting, Old Glossop or Tintwistle, I had favoured Old Glossop, I wish I had followed by gut instinct!

Left the house at 12:20 and was at Buxton station by 1255. Ground an easy 5 minute walk away. Its a cracking ground, with a huge flat circular pitch and excellent views towards Solomon's Temple. Banking at the north end, with plenty of shade and vantage points. I sat under a tree trying not to get sunburnt! It used to host first class matches and the venue of the infamous snow in June game from 1977.

Buxton for its size as a town should be doing better than this, as in the end it was a comfortable win for Hollingworth. Buxton were 40/0 after 10 overs, but then were restricted with a 12 over spell seeing just 16 runs. Hollingworth employed the spinners from the 9th over, and never allowed Buxton a chance to get a competitive total. Wickets regularly fell after the 30 over mark when they were 87/3, with ten off the last over their batting highlight.

Tea came and I had a walk round, play resumed at 4:42. Hollingworth never looked like needing the full 45 overs, 17/1 after 5 became 51/1 after 10. Buxton's spinners worked for a while, 13 runs conceded, 3 wickets from 9 overs leaving Hollingworth 79/4 after 21 but the hosts needed to break the fifth wicket partnership to stand a chance but sadly never did. Hollingworth's 5th wicket partnership was never broken and they knocked the remaining 70 runs away from 13 overs.

Match over at 1847, and it was an enjoyable afternoon on a warmish day in Buxton, I say ish, when the sun went in, it was chilly! Now about Old Glossop v Hadfield in Division One, a few regrets, I should have been up earlier as there were 593 runs in all! I will be off to Broadbottom v Hayfield in 2 weeks which should be a cracker. On the other hand, both Compstall and New Mills were lower scoring affairs than this :)

Tom

Chapeltom

Established Member
From some of your rail-based postings, I thought that you would have been a follower of Chapel-en-le-Frith CC in the Derbyshire and Cheshire League. Their ground at Willow Drive has good panoramic views of the area.

Its the 4th game I've seen in the league, been to Buxworth, Birch Vale and Chapel in that order. Yeah, the views are superb. I have watched football many a time next door, got 87 overs worth but shame it was so cold/drizzly last weekend! Newton 226/6 with excellent running, Chapel never got going 35/2 after 17 overs and 179 all out.

Buxworth have a tiny pitch, only got 50 overs or so as Buggy got bowled out for 103 when I went, they were 21 for 6!! Hadfield won by 7 wickets with many many overs left.

Birch Vale & Thornsett is a nice ground with good views, saw a shockingly one sided game there though 2 weeks ago! Birch Vale were bottom and winless, v 9th place Tintwistle. They smashed 153 off the last 15 overs, amassing a massive 295/5 including a staggering 26 4s and 16 6s. They bowled Tintwistle out for just 50! Lovely day but got sunburnt :cry:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
First Test Match

India 177-3 (59 overs)

Vijay doing a good job as opener with 17 x 4 in his 92 not out. India recovering from 107-3.

*****************************************************************************************

Close of play score

India 259-4

Vijay 122 not out (20x4,1x6)
Dhoni 50 not out (5x4)

An unbroken stand of 81 between these two batsmen.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
The ICC should demand that all Test countries use DRS or non use it, you can't have one rule for India & another for the rest. I think the ICC are being far too lenient with India.

I wonder what would happen if the ICC told them they either use it or they can't play International Cricket?

gswindale

I suspect that India would walk away from Test Cricket if using DRS was made mandatory.

I haven't been following today's play much; but were India the beneficiaries of decisions going their way that shouldn't have?

DownSouth

Established Member
The ICC should demand that all Test countries use DRS or non use it, you can't have one rule for India & another for the rest.
The rule for everyone in normal (i.e. non-tournament) series is that it gets used if both teams want it. There are other series not involving India which also don't have DRS, not wanting DRS is not unique to them and they weren't even involved in the first series which defied the ICC after the mandatory DRS rule was brought in.
I wonder what would happen if the ICC told them they either use it or they can't play International Cricket?
Breakaway league, and the demise of the ICC.

It won't happen though, not now that the three boards which subsidise the rest have permanent membership of the ICC executive council just like the big five at the UN Security Council.

ExRes

Established Member
Normal, predictable, pathetic England bowling

Last wicket partnership of almost 80, both (non)batsmen with career bests

Why can't we produce bowlers who are capable of going for the throat ?