• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Exactly - it does help that he's 110% right, 110% of the time. And his mini-me, Vaughan, is coming along nicely.

It's Boycott and Vaughan that I struggle to listen to on TMS...then every so often they'll come up with something I might agree with, so it's 'they're not so bad after all', but they always revert to type! (When Boycott says - regularly - to Simon Mann, 'Well, you've never played test cricket', I'm surprised that he doesn't get thumped! Not sure whether he would have said the same to John Arlott....

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shades of the quality of the British military leadership in the Great War and the phrase..."Lions led by donkeys"...

I think that's unfair to British military leadership, at least that from later in the war, they at least had some idea of what to do and how to win. I don't believe the same can be said for the England leadership.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with the money that the ECB have. Simple as that.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with the money that the ECB have. Simple as that.

Do I therefore take it that this said "money" is the same that means that Test Matches are to be placed as near to each other as possible in order to garner the maiximum amount of money from the television rights, rather than considering what the effects will be on the players who are now expected to perform like "performing seals" for their ECB masters ?

DownSouth

Established Member
I think that's unfair to British military leadership, at least that from later in the war, they at least had some idea of what to do and how to win. I don't believe the same can be said for the England leadership.
Indeed. Some of the individuals involved should be taking lessons from the actions of the British military leadership in WWII, some were bloody good at knowing when to evacuate from a losing situation like France or Singapore, and others were pretty decent at hanging on until others who had what it took (USA and USSR) came along to help.

Francesco Schettino might be a more appropriate example of leadership to compare to Alistair Cook. The quality would be roughly similar, but the only difference seems to be that Schettino bailed out when he should have stayed, while Cook has stayed on when he should have left.
Do I therefore take it that this said "money" is the same that means that Test Matches are to be placed as near to each other as possible in order to garner the maiximum amount of money from the television rights, rather than considering what the effects will be on the players who are now expected to perform like "performing seals" for their ECB masters ?
What's wrong with having three days between Tests, when it used to be normal for back-to-back matches to have as little as two days? Normal people are expected to work five days in a row and then go back to do it again after only a two day break.

Cricket might well be a sport where the emphasis lies in superior skills and tactics, but it is still a sport and therefore it is right that there is still some component of it that rewards superior athletic performances and superior athletic endurance. The players managing their bodies to get through a Test series is part of the challenge!

Perhaps they could use part of each rest day to watch the Tour de France and draw some inspiration from elite athletes who do 21 days of racing in only 23 days, without an hour's worth of lunch/tea breaks and without hours of match time spent sitting on their arses in the dressing room watching two of their teammates go at it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What's wrong with having three days between Tests, when it used to be normal for back-to-back matches to have as little as two days? Normal people are expected to work five days in a row and then go back to do it again after only a two day break.

In all my working life, of which I spent over thirty years in Senior Management, I was working in a capacity of which I consider that I achieved much success. However, with the best will in the world, there was no way whatsoever that I would have the temerity to attempt to draw a conclusion between that and being a member of the top eleven cricketers in my country, charged with pitting my skills in a 5-day Test Match against another team composed of the top eleven cricketers who were representing their country.

At the highest level, there should be a reasonable recuperation time period between each Test Match. That is my personal view of someone aged 69 whose memory of Test Cricket goes back a very long time....and dare I say it, noting my Lancashire County Cricket Club roots, the memory of a certain Test Match played in 1956 (when I was 11) at Old Trafford where Jim Laker took no less than nineteen wickets for ninety runs against a certain other International side whom I have the common courtesy not to name in this posting.

ExRes

Established Member
Indeed. Some of the individuals involved should be taking lessons from the actions of the British military leadership in WWII, some were bloody good at knowing when to evacuate from a losing situation like France or Singapore, and others were pretty decent at hanging on until others who had what it took (USA and USSR) came along to help.

Francesco Schettino might be a more appropriate example of leadership to compare to Alistair Cook. The quality would be roughly similar, but the only difference seems to be that Schettino bailed out when he should have stayed, while Cook has stayed on when he should have left.

I think you'll find that USSR would have been very close to being beaten by the Germans if British convoys, manned mostly by British and Commonwealth sailors, hadn't delivered aircraft, tanks, fuel, ammunition etc etc so that the Russians had something to fight with, the USA, as usual, only fought when it looked as though the invoices they'd issued us might not get settled

Schettino and Cook ?, I don't remember Cook having killed 35 people during his captaincy, although I must admit I don't read the Sun or the Sydney Morning Herald, so I may have missed the relevant reports

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Perhaps they could use part of each rest day to watch the Tour de France and draw some inspiration from elite athletes who do 21 days of racing in only 23 days, without an hour's worth of lunch/tea breaks and without hours of match time spent sitting on their arses in the dressing room watching two of their teammates go at it.

Is this another two-man new Australian idea...One player bowling, one player acting as wicket-keeper and the other nine players performing what you state above, rather than spending time in the field fielding...<(

muddythefish

On Moderation
I think you'll find that USSR would have been very close to being beaten by the Germans if British convoys, manned mostly by British and Commonwealth sailors, hadn't delivered aircraft, tanks, fuel, ammunition etc etc so that the Russians had something to fight with, the USA, as usual, only fought when it looked as though the invoices they'd issued us might not get settled

Schettino and Cook ?, I don't remember Cook having killed 35 people during his captaincy, although I must admit I don't read the Sun or the Sydney Morning Herald, so I may have missed the relevant reports

The previous poster is Australian. His chip-on-shoulder views have to be seen in that context with the constant jibes at England/Britain.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Okay this is starting to move into both being off-topic (regarding World War Two) and also somewhat into the area of personal attacks. Debate the ideas not the what you think about the person making them.

This thread has been very pleasant over it's long life, let's keep it that way shall we :)

Oswyntail

Established Member
... while Cook has stayed on when he should have left.....
I note one S. Waugh, who has some experience in captaincy (albeit some time ago and in another country) has been reported as saying that Cook is right to stay on. :D
I suspect our cork-hat wearing cousin (DownSouth, not Mr Waugh) gets his history lessons from Mel Gibson films :roll:

muddythefish

On Moderation
I note one S. Waugh, who has some experience in captaincy (albeit some time ago and in another country) has been reported as saying that Cook is right to stay on. :D
I suspect our cork-hat wearing cousin (DownSouth, not Mr Waugh) gets his history lessons from Mel Gibson films :roll:

He would say that; he is happy to see England struggle. That lot always speak with forked tongue.

Cletus

Established Member
Just noticed that Cook is 19 test runs behind Pietersen.
Wonder if that has any bearing on him continuing?
How long will it take him to get those 20 runs?

CallySleeper

Established Member
Another decent win by the Outlaws this evening confirms a T20 QF. Made for a decent three hours in front of the telly when there's not really anything else worth watching on!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Fourth ODI

Afghanistan...259 all out (49.1 overs)
Shafiqullah 56 (2x6/4x4)
Tripana 9.1-0-63-5

Zimbabwe...159 all out (38 overs)
Mutumbami 64 (8x4)
Ashraf 9-0-29-3

Afghanistan register their second win of the series, by 100 runs.

Zimbabwe decided to take a leaf of the "Captain Cook" match planning manual which resulted in them going from 22-1 to 29-6 and had not Mutumbami as a late order batsman had a sterling innings of 64, heaven knows how low the Zimbabwe score might have been.

ExRes

Established Member
Fourth ODI

Afghanistan...259 all out (49.1 overs)
Shafiqullah 56 (2x6/4x4)
Tripana 9.1-0-63-5

Zimbabwe...159 all out (38 overs)
Mutumbami 64 (8x4)
Ashraf 9-0-29-3

Afghanistan register their second win of the series, by 100 runs.

Zimbabwe decided to take a leaf of the "Captain Cook" match planning manual which resulted in them going from 22-1 to 29-6 and had not Mutumbami as a late order batsman had a sterling innings of 64, heaven knows how low the Zimbabwe score might have been.

The rather weird workings of the Zim selectors on show again, I know the players get little match practice but the selectors seem to think that a settled XI is a national crime and everyone should get a bash, that of course is a recipe for staying at the bottom of the pile, you need to beat the opposition to get recognition and then keep winning to retain it

Oh yes, you also need your administrators to stop nicking all the cash ......

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Nat West T20 Blast at Old Trafford tonight

Lancashire 164-8 (20 overs)
Durham 137-7 (20 overs)

The Lancashire opening stand by Khawaja and Price of 84 was worth its weight in gold in this match.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
**************************************************************************************

In the first part of the investigations into the Anderson v Jajeda incident in the First Test, Jajeda today was said to have 50% of his match fee deducted.

Anderson will have his hearing on 1st August.

EM2

Established Member
Luke Wright wreaks havoc for visitors Sussex at Chelmsford with 153*, the 4th highest ever T20 score in the world and the highest ever in domestic T20 cricket in England.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Royal London One-Day Cup

Yorkshire....324-7 (50 overs)
Williamson 70 (1x6/6x4)
Lees 66 (7x4)
Ali 10-0-77-3

Lancashire...277 all out (46.4 overs)
Brown 129 (4x6/9x4)

Yorkshire did well to amass a good part of their runs from their top-order batsmen. Brown must have been pleased with his best-ever batting performance for Lancashire. The crowd were treated to 601 runs in this match.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So is 95 enough to get some of the heat off of Cooks back or did he really need those three figures?