• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
I couldn't go with Matt Prior as captain, he's going to be carrying his injury for the rest of his career and you can't run a side not knowing whether your captain will be available

It says rather a lot about the state of English cricket when nobody stands out as a short term captain let alone long term, for pure grit and potential though I personally would suggest Gary Balance long term and Daryl Mitchell short term

EM2

Established Member
It won't be Prior: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/matt-prior-steps-away-international-3892888
Matt Prior has stepped away from the England team for the rest of the summer due to injury.

Wicket-keeper Prior is expected to go under the knife to try and sort out his ongoing Achilles problems, although he is also suffering with a right quad and right hand injury too.

“I'm not doing justice to myself and more importantly the team and that is what matters first and foremost,” said an emotional Prior.

“I tore my quad before the first Test and my right hand has been beaten to a pulp, but the main issue is the Achilles.

“Now we have the time, I want to be pro-active about how we deal with it so I imagine that I'll have an operation.

“I've always said as long as I can do my job I will manage the pain and get on with it, but it has now got to the point where I can't do my job to the level I expect of myself.”

Jos Buttler is likely to be called up into the third Test squad for the Ageas Bowl later today, but Prior is determined to regain his fitness and challenge for his place next year.

For now though he accepts that with 79 Test caps to his name he may have played his last game for England, and with a heavy heart is unable to play his role in the rebuilding of the team.

He added: “It is a huge decision and not one I've taken lightly obviously because I could have played my last game.

“Playing for England is the greatest honour you can have in the game and that is my motivation to come back and try and play again in the best possible condition.

“I've made my decision for the good of the team and whoever comes in I genuinely wish them the best of luck and hope they go well and perform and help the team win. That is all I want.

“If that happens and I don't play again, then that was my lot. I'll be disappointed because there are a few things that I wanted to achieve and thought I would, but I can also look back and know I did some pretty good things.”

muddythefish

On Moderation
Ballance is far too inexperienced, he's only just come into the side. South Africa appointed Smith when he was 21, but he was an exception.

Just seen the Prior story. Good luck to him - I hope he comes back better than ever.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yes, Prior's movement isn't going to improve, so Lancashire should be prepared to loose Buttler in the near future. I like the idea of Ballance as Captain, blood him as Vice Captain first.

gswindale

Fair enough - I don't know the full details of their conditions.

My understanding had been that Trescothick suffered issues abroad rather than at home - hence his early departure from the T20 champions league in 2009.

England do, however, need to find somebody of his calibre and in form to improve the batting line up.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Outbowled in England by Indian seamers is something you never expected to see.

Custom made pitch, won the toss, then blitzed by a side that had only won once at Lords in their history, shameful and no prospect of improvement.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Matt Prior to take the rest of the summer off from Test cricket to recover from his injuries. He may not get another a chance to get back in.

oops one of many posts saying the same thing.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Breaking News

Matt Prior has stepped down as England Wicketkeeper and is set to miss the rest of the season with an Achilles injury.

Cletus

Established Member
This series of 5 tests is just too close together - next one starts this Sunday!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This series of 5 tests is just too close together - next one starts this Sunday!

The great England teams of old were never subjected to this type of media pressure to gather as much financial gain for certain bodies who administer the game and were allowed to let the newer players coming into the team the time to acclimatise to the demands of Test Match cricket.

gswindale

Seriously?

That is absolutely ridiculous.

I can just about see the sense in starting on Wed or Fri; but to start on Sunday - do they want nobody to go & watch it in person?

Surely the 3rd test should wait until at least 31st July? Give the players a bit of a chance to recover.

I've just looked at the schedule and a 5 test series over in little more than a month?

We need to spread it out a little more and maybe have a 3 match ODI series somewhere in the middle.

The series should have started in early July and finished in either late August or early September.

DownSouth

Established Member
Eoin Morgan for captain. He's now 27 and three seasons more mature than he was in his last dig in a Test, so there's every reason to believe he could apply his powerful batting for Test cricket a bit more responsibly. Morgan would provide Joe Root with a perfect partner for a middle order counter-attack (like MS Dhoni or Michael Hussey) when the top order fails, and when the top order do well he could provide an Adam Gilchrist-style knockout blow late in the innings to set up a competitive declaration

Some might say the accent could be a problem for Morgan when it comes to doing the various off-field duties of a captain, but it would only be slightly worse than appointing someone from Yorkshire.

Johnuk123

Established Member
England can't win a test match let alone a series even at home, and I think we're nowhere near at the bottom of the slide yet.

The Ashes next year will be interesting.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Eoin Morgan for captain. He's now 27 and three seasons more mature than he was in his last dig in a Test, so there's every reason to believe he could apply his powerful batting for Test cricket a bit more responsibly. Morgan would provide Joe Root with a perfect partner for a middle order counter-attack (like MS Dhoni or Michael Hussey) when the top order fails, and when the top order do well he could provide an Adam Gilchrist-style knockout blow late in the innings to set up a competitive declaration

Some might say the accent could be a problem for Morgan when it comes to doing the various off-field duties of a captain, but it would only be slightly worse than appointing someone from Yorkshire.

Can't believe it...again I am in agreement with DownSouth! If Cook stepped down, I would give the captaincy to Morgan. Whilst he may not have a place in the team at the moment, he is on the fringes and I believe that he is a tough person...very much needed at the moment. Surely the problems with his 'technique' that lost him his test place after the last Pakistan series are no worse than the problems facing the current batsmen (Ballance's technique is constantly being dissected on Sky.) Bell is said to be a follower rather than a leader (nothing wrong with that), Broad seems to be carrying an injury and needs a break, Root is only just cementing himself in the side, let him do that first and there isn't anyone else.
....but the fact is I think that the captaincy will stay with Cook, unless he makes the decision to take a break.

EM2

Established Member
Eoin Morgan for captain. He's now 27 and three seasons more mature than he was in his last dig in a Test, so there's every reason to believe he could apply his powerful batting for Test cricket a bit more responsibly.
Plenty of players have been given a chance ahead of Morgan, and I haven't seen much this season to see why that should be any different.
He's played sixteen tests with an average of just over 30, and his FC career average is about 36.
And if you're going to say his performances for Middlesex this season means he deserves a crack, there are plenty doing better.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Plenty of players have been given a chance ahead of Morgan, and I haven't seen much this season to see why that should be any different.
He's played sixteen tests with an average of just over 30, and his FC career average is about 36.
And if you're going to say his performances for Middlesex this season means he deserves a crack, there are plenty doing better.

I don't think that DownSouth and myself are saying that Morgan is a shoe-in as a batsman (he isn't) but if a captain was needed should Cook step down, then, in a very limited field, desperate times require an innovative solution. I really don't think that the othersenior players, who have let Cook down, can fill the gap...even if they are fit! But...as I said, can't see Cook being removed.

backontrack

Established Member
I'm slightly worried about this.

When Cook took a knock when they were fielding on day 3, Bell became captain temporarily. Bell's not in brilliant form either, and I don't think being captain would be good for him.

I think that they should rest Broad or Stokes for a match and bring in Chris Jordan instead. Jos Buttler has to come in for Prior - he just can't do it anymore. I'd be tempted to give the captaincy to Root and then Ballance for a game each just to see how they get on.
If they bring Morgan in (another captaincy option) then it would probably be instead of Moeen Ali. However, maybe drop Robson for a game and try Ballance opening with Cook?

One other thing - I think Root should bat 4 and Bell should bat 5.

andrew bell

When Cook took a knock when they were fielding on day 3, Bell became captain temporarily. Bell's not in brilliant form either, and I don't think being captain would be good for him.

I think that they should rest Broad or Stokes for a match and bring in Chris Jordan instead. Jos Buttler has to come in for Prior - he just can't do it anymore. I'd be tempted to give the captaincy to Root and then Ballance for a game each just to see how they get on.
If they bring Morgan in (another captaincy option) then it would probably be instead of Moeen Ali. However, maybe drop Robson for a game and try Ballance opening with Cook?

The line up for next match should be (imo)

Compton
Robson
Ballance (c)
Root
Ali
Bell/Morgan/Lyth/Lees/Gale
Keiswetter (wk)
Jordan/Woakes
Broad (or Finn if Broad is not fit)
Plunkett
Anderson

I admit there are quite a lot of changes in the line up but if theres going to be a new start, now is the time

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The line up for next match should be (imo)

Compton
Robson
Ballance (c)
Root
Ali
Bell/Morgan/Lyth/Lees/Gale
Keiswetter (wk)
Jordan/Woakes
Broad (or Finn if Broad is not fit)
Plunkett
Anderson

I admit there are quite a lot of changes in the line up but if theres going to be a new start, now is the time

Kieswetter suffered broken cheekbone and nose agaginst Northants recently, sadly his face does look a mess, hopefully there will be no lasting damage.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/story/760401.html

Somerset wicketkeeper Craig Kieswetter has confirmed he will need to undergo surgery after suffering a serious facial injury while batting against Northamptonshire - but says there will be no lasting damage to his eye.

He tweeted: "Injury update: broken nose and a fractured orbital socket. Surgery is required but thankfully no lasting damage to the eye."

Kieswetter, 26, sustained a fractured cheekbone and broken nose after being hit by a David Willey bouncer during the opening day of Somerset's County Championship match at Wantage Road on Saturday.

Kieswetter, who posted a picture on his Twitter account of the damage caused, with his right eye swollen shut, went to hospital on Sunday for tests where the extent of his injuries were confirmed and on Monday he gave an update to his situation.

Kieswetter was forced to retire hurt against Northamptonshire after a short ball from Willey went through the gap above the grill on the batsman's helmet and struck him flush on the right eye.

It is not known how long Kieswetter will be absent for, with replacement wicketkeeper Alex Barrow taking his place behind the stumps in the current fixture.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If it were me I'd be tempted to drop Cook and bring in Chris Read to keep wicket and captain and potentially someone like Compton to open alongside Robson. But I don't think I'd change much else beyond thinking about rotating the bowlers for the next test as this is, in effect, three tests back to back and the likes of Anderson have bowled a heck of a lot of overs recently.

andrew bell

Kieswetter suffered broken cheekbone and nose agaginst Northants recently, sadly his face does look a mess, hopefully there will be no lasting damage.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2014/content/story/760401.html

Somerset wicketkeeper Craig Kieswetter has confirmed he will need to undergo surgery after suffering a serious facial injury while batting against Northamptonshire - but says there will be no lasting damage to his eye.

He tweeted: "Injury update: broken nose and a fractured orbital socket. Surgery is required but thankfully no lasting damage to the eye."

Kieswetter, 26, sustained a fractured cheekbone and broken nose after being hit by a David Willey bouncer during the opening day of Somerset's County Championship match at Wantage Road on Saturday.

Kieswetter, who posted a picture on his Twitter account of the damage caused, with his right eye swollen shut, went to hospital on Sunday for tests where the extent of his injuries were confirmed and on Monday he gave an update to his situation.

Kieswetter was forced to retire hurt against Northamptonshire after a short ball from Willey went through the gap above the grill on the batsman's helmet and struck him flush on the right eye.

It is not known how long Kieswetter will be absent for, with replacement wicketkeeper Alex Barrow taking his place behind the stumps in the current fixture.

Ah, forgot that. In that case I agree with ainsworth74, recall Chris Read for a short term measure, and even skipper the team as he has the experience of being a captain in county championship.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The squad for the 3rd test has just been announced

Cook (c)
Ali
Anderson
Ballance
Bell
Broad
Buttler
Jordan
Plunkett
Robson
Root
Stokes
Woakes

So all thats happenned is Buttler is wk, otherwise the squad is the same. Poor selection I feel

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Regarding the recent comments made by those in the higher echelons of the England cricketing establishment giving their backing to Cook, is anyone really surprised to see Cook retained as the captain of the England side.

Shades of the quality of the British military leadership in the Great War and the phrase..."Lions led by donkeys"...<(

ExRes

Established Member

"Jos Buttler has to come in for Prior - he just can't do it anymore"

Have you missed the news today ?, Prior has made himself unavailable due to 3 different injuries, Achilles, Quad and a damaged hand, between that lot it does become a little difficult to turn in a top class display as a wicketkeeper