• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

ExRes

Established Member
Dav Whatmore has been appointed as coach of Zimbabwe on an interim basis to prepare and see them through the World Cup

http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/current/story/814335.html

a brave man indeed working for the corrupt and dreadful ZC 'organisation'

With regard to the 257* of Wasim Akram, this was in the 'good old days' of Zim cricket when they could boast Andy & Grant Flower, Paul & Bryan Strang, Dave Houghton, Alistair Campbell and the one and only black African in the XI, Henry Olonga. Pakistan were being held quite comfortably at 237-7 until the partnership between Wasim Akram & Saqlain Mushtaq

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...XVgYAG&usg=AFQjCNGqUt2Q5rGgJKojCIkgdUl8QUNO1A

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
Test Match...end of day 3

India 462-8

With only two days still to play, India recovered from a position of 147-3 to 409-4 thanks to a stand between Kohli 169 (18 x 4) and Rahane 147 (21 x 4).

Harris came out with bowling credit with analysis of 25-7-69-4 but the usually dependable Johnson took only a solitary wicket at a cost of 133 runs in his 29 overs.
Ah - I wondered why DownSouth had not been providing his usual barbed commentary.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As well as Ben Stokes, numerous NZ players have played cricket in England when not required by the NZ national team at the time, including Lou Vincent and Chris Cairns who also progressed to fixing cricket in England.

Though to be fair Ben Stokes moved to England when he was 12 so he'll have really learned his cricket here rather than in New Zealand.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not that I'm aware of, just suggesting four possible places where Cook might be able to get some time in the middle at a time of the year when there's not lots of options in England.

While Cook may well be out of the official World Cup squad, if a batsman in the squad gets injured he could well be the first cab off the rank to come in as a replacement. For that, it would be beneficial if he's getting at least some time in the middle somewhere, and in December/January the obvious options for that are in South Africa, New Zealand or the top-level club competitions in Sydney and Melbourne.

What other alternatives would you recommend for an out of form batsman?

As well as Ben Stokes, numerous NZ players have played cricket in England when not required by the NZ national team at the time, including Lou Vincent and Chris Cairns who also progressed to fixing cricket in England.

Plenty of Australian batsmen do it too if they are not in the national team, though that trend is decreasing as the standard of the winter (dry season) competition in the tropical northern parts of Australia improves. It's not generally preferred for bowlers because lighter training is better in the off-season and the swing-happy Duke ball makes fast bowlers lazy.

It's not so common in Australia or NZ because there is more international cricket played during the southern hemisphere summer (six out of the eight credible Test teams are playing at the same time) and Aus/NZ domestic cricket has a vertical structure with quality emphasised over quantity.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A British man was arrested at last night's Big Bash League match in Sydney for breaching his ban from the SCG. He has been ejected multiple times from cricket venues here for "courtsiding" - providing updates to bookmakers based overseas faster than the delayed broadcast.

It was reported on TV this afternoon that Scotland Yard are providing assistance to the NSW Police.

Better be careful in relation to mention of Chris Cairns - Lou Vincent is a self-admitted fixer but Cairns won his defamation action against Modl in the High Court in England. Now Cairns is facing criminal charge of perjury in English court but the case hasn't been tried yet! Don't want you doing a Sally Bercow (if you don't understand, do a bit of googling).

DownSouth

Established Member
Ah - I wondered why DownSouth had not been providing his usual barbed commentary.
I thought yesterday was fairly good for us, the bowlers put in the hard work and got their due reward of seven wickets (more than India have managed in a day in this series) and a good position to take a first innings lead - which we did this morning for the cost of only three more runs.

The rain delay today, with more expected tomorrow, will make things interesting. It will undoubtedly make it harder for Steve Smith to judge the correct time to declare and set India a total. I'd say that setting a required run rate of about 5.5 to 6 runs per over would be about right to put all the pressure on India who need a win to salvage a chance of drawing the series.
Better be careful in relation to mention of Chris Cairns - Lou Vincent is a self-admitted fixer but Cairns won his defamation action against Modl in the High Court in England. Now Cairns is facing criminal charge of perjury in English court but the case hasn't been tried yet! Don't want you doing a Sally Bercow (if you don't understand, do a bit of googling).
Fair enough, post edited. But we all know.

You would want to start a fixing investigation over last night's BBL match if it were anyone other than Glenn Maxwell (the Australian version of Shahid Afridi) with the bat in hand for this:
[youtube]TCvk59FglVs[/youtube]

A question for English fans - is Jason Roy (Surrey) any good? He's been signed by the Sydney Thunder for the matches after Eoin Morgan leaves to join the England squad for the World Series matches in late January.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The rain delay today, with more expected tomorrow, will make things interesting. It will undoubtedly make it harder for Steve Smith to judge the correct time to declare and set India a total. I'd say that setting a required run rate of about 5.5 to 6 runs per over would be about right to put all the pressure on India who need a win to salvage a chance of drawing the series.

Day 4 extended with Australia 165-4 in their second innings, giving them a lead of 230 runs.

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
Day 4 ended with Australia 165-4 in their second innings, giving them a lead of 230 runs.
That was the score just before the end of the second session.

Play has been extended to 7:00pm AEDT to make up time, with just less than half an hour still to come it is now 246/7 with Marsh on 53 and Harris on 3.

The lead is now 311 runs, not yet enough to declare and have a short bowl tonight, and possibly not even enough to declare before play tomorrow unless the batsman go T20 style for the last 25 minutes.
Good to see Sri Lanka go some way towards redeeming themselves in the second innings of their match. NZ still won, but they had to chase a target of 105.

The RSA-WI match looks like it is headed for a draw unless there's a dramatic change on the fourth day, rain interruptions mean that the first three days has only seen South Africa bat once (8dec/417) and the West Indies get off to a good start to be on 2/147 at stumps on day three. Rain overnight will force a late start to day four, just to make it worse.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You would want to start a fixing investigation over last night's BBL match if it were anyone other than Glenn Maxwell (the Australian version of Shahid Afridi) with the bat in hand for this

Ha Gilchrist's reaction is brilliant. Reminds me a bit of Kieswetter during the World T20 final who left one in a not dissimilar fashion (which we won overcoming Australia I seem to recall ;)).

A question for English fans - is Jason Roy (Surrey) any good? He's been signed by the Sydney Thunder for the matches after Eoin Morgan leaves to join the England squad for the World Series matches in late January.

Personally I think he's overrated. Not a bad player by any means but not as good as the hype.

DownSouth

Established Member
The BBL match tonight had Freddie Flintoff in the commentary team, fresh off taking a couple of wickets in Brisbane's one run win the previous night. The big man from Preston was excellent - there was good analysis of the play, talk of how hard it is to handle a slower bouncer, cheerful banter with Ricky Ponting about old encounters, a bit of sledging of Leeds for being a horrible city. Definitely one of the better English commentators we've heard in a while, and far better than Michael Vaughan was during the Ashes last summer.
Ha Gilchrist's reaction is brilliant. Reminds me a bit of Kieswetter during the World T20 final who left one in a not dissimilar fashion (which we won overcoming Australia I seem to recall ;)).
The reaction of Damien Fleming (one of only three Test players in the world to have taken a hat trick on debut) is just as funny - you can tell he was filthy with watching that after he spent his career having to work for his wickets.

On the topic of the 2010 World T20, maybe we could do a trade and put that trophy on display somewhere here for a few weeks in return for showing off the 1987 World Cup winner's trophy in the lobby at Lord's?

I think that T20 is great for domestic cricket (they had over 24,000 at the SCG tonight including many women and kids, and Adelaide could get 40k+ for New Year's Eve) but it should be abolished from international level. If it can't be abolished, at least return it to what it was in the first couple of years when there were only one or two T20I matches in a tour that were treated as exhibition matches with players wearing silly moustaches, retro team kits from the 80's, and scripted stunts like Glenn McGrath making as if to bowl underarm on the last ball in Auckland or Billy Bowden stealing the ball and bowling.
Personally I think he's overrated. Not a bad player by any means but not as good as the hype.
That's what I thought after reading the article about it. Maybe Alistair Cook might have been a better pick, he won't be busy at the time ;)

muddythefish

On Moderation
As well as Ben Stokes, numerous NZ players have played cricket in England when not required by the NZ national team at the time, including Lou Vincent and allegedly (but we all know) Chris Cairns who also progressed to fixing cricket in England.

You talked about NZ players "picked up by England who couldn't make their own national team", which is entirely different to the above.

As I stated, Stokes is the only NZ-born player who has played for England that I can think of (but stand to be corrected), and even Stokes has lived here since he was 12, disproving your incorrect and provocative statement.

As for Cook he needs to be spend time in the nets here rather than playing the equivalent of village cricket in Australia or South Africa.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I start with a prejudice against Surrey and its players built up over decades, but from what I've read (I haven' t seen him in the flesh) he could be a jaffa.

DownSouth

Established Member
Steve Smith called it a draw with four overs to go after MS Dhoni safely blocked out an over from Nathan Lyon. Looks like he was under instruction from head office to lock down the series win by not risking a loss, and with Dhoni in charge there was not much chance of India taking the initiative.
As for Cook he needs to be spend time in the nets here rather than playing the equivalent of village cricket in Australia or South Africa.
Time in the nets doing what? He'd be better off taking a holiday when Boycott's grandmother will be the best bowler left in England a week from now with the national side here and the second-stringers in South Africa.

And who said anything about village cricket? I was talking about one of the top national-level competitions in the world, and two second-level competitions which are equivalent to the second tier of the County Championship.

Spending a winter facing a ball machine in the indoor nets is useless, coaches would prefer players compete in even third-level domestic cricket (e.g. club cricket in England or in Australian states other than Vic/NSW) or take some time away from the game for a holiday and some cross-training.
With regard to the 257* of Wasim Akram, this was in the 'good old days' of Zim cricket when they could boast Andy & Grant Flower, Paul & Bryan Strang, Dave Houghton, Alistair Campbell and the one and only black African in the XI, Henry Olonga. Pakistan were being held quite comfortably at 237-7 until the partnership between Wasim Akram & Saqlain Mushtaq
Henry Olonga is a great guy, I met him when he was in Adelaide back when the national cricket academy was here and he was working on rebuilding his bowling action after being called for chucking.

We then caught up again a few times around 2003-06 when he came back here after his protest against the Mugabe regime at the 2003 World Cup and married a local sport teacher from here.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Steve Smith called it a draw with four overs to go after MS Dhoni safely blocked out an over from Nathan Lyon. Looks like he was under instruction from head office to lock down the series win by not risking a loss, and with Dhoni in charge there was not much chance of India taking the initiative.

There still was an opportunity to win that was lost by Australia, as they batted on too long in their second innings until declaring on 318-9. Marsh must be annoyed at being run out for 99.

India looked to be in serious trouble at 19-3 but the same two of Kohli and Rahane who put together a good stand in the first innings then steadied the ship and when close came, India had moved on to 174-6.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I didn't think the Australians would've thrown in the towel, but as only four overs were left, there was really only one result.

As for South Africa v West Indies, the outfield is in a right state, the prospect of play is looking pretty slim.

DownSouth

Established Member
There still was an opportunity to win that was lost by Australia, as they batted on too long in their second innings until declaring on 318-9. Marsh must be annoyed at being run out for 99.
I expect that Smith was told by head office to lock down the series win ahead of the match win.

A minimum of half the blame for the draw has to go to India - Dhoni set the run saving field which contributed to the Australian second innings going too long to give the bowlers enough time to take ten wickets. In the absence of either side dominating the match, winning a match requires taking the risk of losing it.

Credit has to go to Ashwin though - he did an excellent job taking responsibility for saving the draw and preventing the bowlers getting into the tail, it was a textbook example of solid lower order batting technique.

In the two hours since the match, the BCCI has announced Dhoni's immediate retirement from Test cricket with Kohli to lead the side next week and Saha to keep wicket. This was not announced by Dhoni at his own post-match presser but in a BCCI statement, which would suggest he's been fired rather than walking on his own.
I didn't think the Australians would've thrown in the towel, but as only four overs were left, there was really only one result.
Bigger context - nothing was on the line for Australia, Smith probably decided that he'd offer the draw if Lyon didn't get a wicket in the fifth-last over.

Could also have been instructions from CA head office, last time we had a very close Test win over India they threatened to take their bat and ball home with them. Even for the second and third members of the big three (CA and the ECB) the BCCI is not to be messed with, and a draw while winning the series is a small price to pay to keep the paymasters happy.

One thing is for sure - Shaun Marsh (run out on 99 in the Test), Moises Henriques (out Hit Wicket in the BBL last night) and Glenn Maxwell (national object of derision) will be very happy if everyone keeps talking about Smith's captaincy.

Last edited:

muddythefish

On Moderation
And who said anything about village cricket? I was talking about one of the top national-level competitions in the world, and two second-level competitions which are equivalent to the second tier of the County Championship.

Spending a winter facing a ball machine in the indoor nets is useless, coaches would prefer players compete in even third-level domestic cricket (e.g. club cricket in England or in Australian states other than Vic/NSW) or take some time away from the game for a holiday and some cross-training.

From what I've seen, county cricket is better than anything at state level. Top club cricket here is very strong and I doubt if you've played here (or played the game at any level) so you've no basis for the next statement.

On the question of practice, your statement is a complete generalisation because it depends on the coach in question. As far as I'm concerned when I'm out of touch a few sessions with the bowling machine works wonders. A top-class batsman can get out in club cricket too which would do nothing for his confidence.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Good to see Sri Lanka go some way towards redeeming themselves in the second innings of their match. NZ still won, but they had to chase a target of 105.

Karunaratne played a good innings as opener and his 152 went a long way to seeing Sri Lanka post a second innings respectable score of 407 all out. Both the main New Zealand quicks took four wickets each.
**********************************************************************************************************

Second Test Match...Day one................Latest score

New Zealand 221 all out (55.1 overs)
Willliamson 69

Pradeep 4-63
Lakmal 3-71

Sri Lanka 16-0 (7 overs)

New Zealand had built a good base for their first innings and at one stage were 141-2, but lost their last 8 wickets for only a further 80 runs.

DownSouth

Established Member
Sri Lanka are 78-5 at stumps, Sangakkara on 33* having passed 12,000 Test runs and the wickets going to Bracewell 3/23, Boult 1/18 and Southee 1/30.

I was surprised to see Kane Williamson mentioned in your post, last time I heard of him it was when he was just banned for chucking. A quick lookup and I found out that his remediated bowling action was cleared in December, but also (surprisingly) that his ban only applied to bowling and NZ continued to play him as a specialist batsman through his bowling ban.

Saeed Ajmal and Mohammed Hafeez are both still banned, and unlike Williamson they are not worth playing as specialist batsmen and so will not be seen for Pakistan at the World Cup.

I'd love to see some consequences for teams that continue to field dodgy spinners, maybe a downgrading the status of matches they win where those bowlers have taken wickets or removing their candidacy for hosting international tournaments. It would be a just reward for the countries like Australia and England where coaches pick up dodgy bowling actions at domestic level and don't teach the doosra, and a just reward for the spinners like Swann and Lyon who have clean bowling actions and work hard for their wickets instead of taking the easy route of illegal miracle balls.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It would be a just reward for the countries like Australia and England where coaches pick up dodgy bowling actions at domestic level and don't teach the doosra, and a just reward for the spinners like Swann and Lyon who have clean bowling actions and work hard for their wickets instead of taking the easy route of illegal miracle balls.

Are you sure you're feeling alright? You've just said something nice about us :o :lol:

But I must admit I do have similar feelings on the topic.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sri Lanka are 78-5 at stumps, Sangakkara on 33* having passed 12,000 Test runs and the wickets going to Bracewell 3/23, Boult 1/18 and Southee 1/30.

I was surprised to see Kane Williamson mentioned in your post, last time I heard of him it was when he was just banned for chucking. A quick lookup and I found out that his remediated bowling action was cleared in December, but also (surprisingly) that his ban only applied to bowling and NZ continued to play him as a specialist batsman through his bowling ban.

Saeed Ajmal and Mohammed Hafeez are both still banned, and unlike Williamson they are not worth playing as specialist batsmen and so will not be seen for Pakistan at the World Cup.

I'd love to see some consequences for teams that continue to field dodgy spinners, maybe a downgrading the status of matches they win where those bowlers have taken wickets or removing their candidacy for hosting international tournaments. It would be a just reward for the countries like Australia and England where coaches pick up dodgy bowling actions at domestic level and don't teach the doosra, and a just reward for the spinners like Swann and Lyon who have clean bowling actions and work hard for their wickets instead of taking the easy route of illegal miracle balls.

Tony Lock took quite a lot of wickets for England (his most famous being one at Old Trafford in 1956) but he was long suspected of having a dodgy action, covered up by his habit of always bowling with his shirt firmly buttoned at the wrists. In fairness, it was never put to the scientific test and he was never 'called' and, of course, he kept his shirt buttoned while fielding. He was also the finest leg slip I ever saw, but then how many do you see nowadays?
He emigrated to Western (?) Australia after retiring and, I seem to remember, was in court late in life for other dodgy practices.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Are you sure you're feeling alright? You've just said something nice about us :o :lol:

His is just another veiled attempt to denigrate Muttiah Muralitharan, the greatest spin bowler to have played the game and of course in a different league to Warne.

Australians do it all the time.

ExRes

Established Member
I'm not quite sure why DownSouth is surprised that Kane Williamson was still playing as a batsman, it was his bowling action that was considered illegal not the way he held his bat .......

Murali has been denigrated by many other than Australians and I've no doubt that now the 'authorities' have decided to clamp down is because offies of his reputation are no longer playing, except perhaps Saeed Ajmal

DownSouth

Established Member
Happy new year to you too.

I had the opportunity to do something nice for you too on NYE at the Big Bash at Adelaide Oval when I was working behind the scenes on some of the stadium multimedia production and I was at one point within knife attack distance of England's best batsman.

But KP has done far more to damage English cricket than I could ever hope to do, so I did my patriotic duty and let him live.
The approach of weeding out chuckers before they get to the elite level is not surprising when you consider Australia and England also turn out the highest standard umpires - 8 of the 12 top umpires in the world currently, 4 each on the panel. We should be allowed to have one umpire from each country standing in the middle for The Ashes with a neutral third umpire, if there could possibly be any doubt about impartiality we would still have DRS available to sort it out.

This theory breaks down with Pakistan, they are reasonably good at turning out top rate umpires like Aleem Dar, but their chuckers only ever get picked up once they're on the international stage.

The Ajmal or Hafeez situations could not possibly happen here. For a start, anyone with a doosra is automatically guilty and not welcome in even grade cricket, let alone stepping up from A Grade to their state side. The second thing is that having a bowler found to be chucking equals the end of a bowling coach's career, so there's a healthy level of self-regulation that makes it rare enough to not need extra penalties.
His is just another veiled attempt to denigrate Muttiah Muralitharan, the greatest spin bowler to have played the game and of course in a different league to Warne.
Murali's action would be legal under the current 15° rules. It was correct for Hair and Emerson to call him for chucking at the time, but it was also a bit like Bodyline and the Trevor Chappell underarm delivery in that it led to the adoption of more rational rules after the fact.

Comparing the two bowlers equally is impossible. You could say that Murali was better because he had a slightly higher tally and more success against India than Warne, you could equally say that Warne was better because he had a better average and took so many top order wickets on pace-friendly wickets in Australia while having to share with one of the greatest pace bowlers ever in Glenn McGrath. Best to call them equals, even if you don't bring the chucking into it.
I'm not quite sure why DownSouth is surprised that Kane Williamson was still playing as a batsman, it was his bowling action that was considered illegal not the way he held his bat .......
I don't know if he plays the reverse sweep properly or by swapping the hands though (I think the switch-hit is unsportsmanlike conduct).

Maybe increasing the penalty to be a ban from cricket would be just a touch more of a deterrent - England might have encouraged Moeen Ali to put the doosra away earlier if this was the case. Harsh maybe (who knows if Brad Haddin or Kumar Sangakkara have dodgy bowling actions?) but also fair if the team has enjoyed success in their time as a player. Maybe it should be a complete ban for a set number of matches as a punishment for cheating, and allowed to resume batting after that if their bowling action hasn't yet been fixed up.

Kids grow up in the game imitating the heroes of the day (Michael Hussey most infamously switched to batting left-handed because he wanted to be like Allan Border) so the more off-spinners who stop bowling the doosra the better. The cream will still rise to the top, but it will take hard work and playing with pace/flight/bounce/drift rather than miracle balls. Off-spinners would do well to copy Warne, whose mystery deliveries were really just minor variations on his stock ball with a scary name attached and letting the media hype deal with the rest - which worked in England but not so much in Sri Lanka or Pakistan during the 1990s.
Tony Lock took quite a lot of wickets for England (his most famous being one at Old Trafford in 1956) but he was long suspected of having a dodgy action, covered up by his habit of always bowling with his shirt firmly buttoned at the wrists.
Much more recently, the long sleeve trick was what first had Shane Shillingford get away with it for so long - it was only when he accidentally played a match with a long-sleeve compression shirt instead of a loose sleeve that it got picked up.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Happy new year to you too.

Comparing the two bowlers equally is impossible. You could say that Murali was better because he had a slightly higher tally and more success against India than Warne, you could equally say that Warne was better because he had a better average and took so many top order wickets on pace-friendly wickets in Australia while having to share with one of the greatest pace bowlers ever in Glenn McGrath. Best to call them equals, even if you don't bring the chucking into it.

I'd go along with that. They both brought a heck of a lot to the game, Murali with his infectious smile and lovely demeanour, Warne with his psychological powers over so many batsmen. Warne was also an excellent captain when given the chance (for Hampshire anyway), an excellent slipper and pretty good batsman. Murali was a marvellous advert for Sri Lankan cricket and Warnie, though I am sure he was jealous of his success, said M was the nicest person in cricket, along with Robin Smith.

Warne is also a very astute newspaper commentator - I don't do Sky so can't comment on his utterances there.

DownSouth

Established Member
I'd go along with that. They both brought a heck of a lot to the game, Murali with his infectious smile and lovely demeanour, ... a marvellous advert for Sri Lankan cricket ... said M was the nicest person in cricket, along with Robin Smith.
I am very glad that Murali had the courage to come back to Australia after saying he'd never come again after some poor treatment from a handful of disrespectful yobbos and unfortunately our much despised PM at the time (John Howard) back in 2004.

It was worth coming back - on the 2007 tour and in his one T20 season here he was treated to the same sort of reception as Sachin Tendulkar in his last couple of tours here - Sachin joked that in Australia he would walk out to bat and immediately look up at the scoreboard to check if he was on 0 or 100 because that's what the crowd sounded like.

Since then Murali has actually spent some time coaching here for Cricket Australia working with our best T20 spinners in the run up to the last World T20, the use of spin bowling being an area that Australia so far has troubled to crack in T20 (it says a lot that Johan Botha is the best T20 spinner in Australia) on an international level.
... Warne with his psychological powers over so many batsmen. ...
I used to love watching Warne torture an English batsman by spending an exaggeratedly long time adjusting his field, coming in to bowl and aborting at the last moment to make one last change, all before bowling a standard leg break! This had the best effect when he did it on the last ball of the day.

It was nice of the English media to give him a hand with their obsession about his mystery balls (they were all just straight ones with different seam presentation) which definitely didn't help Atherton's troubles with him. It's a pity that the English papers are so much more patriotic these days!
... an excellent slipper and pretty good batsman.
I missed one word in my post - when I wrote better average, I meant to write better batting average. Contributing usefully with the bat was something that Warne was always very proud of, and over 3000 Test runs with a highest score of 99 (given out on a no ball) is nothing to sniff at for a specialist bowler.

Fielding is extremely important for every player in Australian cricket, even to the point of Mark Cosgrove getting fired by South Australia and replaced with an inferior batsman for costing too many runs in the field and with his slow running between wickets (he would get some hilarious sledges about his weight from even the home fans) though the ground staff did offer him a chance to stay at Adelaide Oval as the heavy pitch roller. That only South Africa was taking fielding as seriously as Australia was a big part of our 1999-2005 world domination years, but T20 has led everyone else to catch up over the last ten years - and I think the game is better for it when even the longer formats will often see players diving and sliding in the outfield to prevent boundaries.
... Murali was a marvellous advert for Sri Lankan cricket and Warnie, though I am sure he was jealous of his success, said M was the nicest person in cricket, along with Robin Smith.
I think their are elements of both careers of which the other could have been a little jealous. I already mentioned success against India for Muralidaran and success in non-turning conditions for Warne.

Murali had more 10 wicket hauls (and against every Test team, a unique feat for the current era with ten Test playing nations) and better stats in the fourth innings, but Warne had a Test hat trick where he did not.

Success against tougher teams is probably in favour of Warne. While he obviously never had to play against Australia, neither did he get a significant number of wickets against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh (17 wickets in 3 matches vs 176 in 25 matches).

Performances against each other's teams favour Warne - they had exactly the same number of wickets (59 each) but with Warne having a better average and strike rate.

The importance to the team is definitely in favour of Murali. Warne took 27% of Australia's wickets in his Tests (he played alongside some truly great bowlers like McGrath and Lee who had 873 wickets between them) while Murali took 40% and all too often was the only thing standing between Sri Lanka and massive losing margins.

The ODI careers of both were very different. Both achieved one World Cup victory but that's where it stops being easy to compare them - Warne quit ODI cricket in 2003 while Murali played on for another eight years during which the nature of the game changed significantly. I don't think it's possible to fairly compare any off spinner with any leg spinner in ODI cricket though, these days it's more about speed and flight than turn which is what made Graeme Swann so hard to get away.

I do wonder whether Murali might have been jealous of Warne's well-timed retirement from international cricket, which finished with him getting the second-highest number of wickets of all the bowlers in a triumphant 5-0 series win over England. Warne could have played on for 3-4 years (maybe changing the outcome of the 2009 and 2010-11 Ashes series?) and gone well past Murali's eventual total of 800 wickets, but he didn't have anything left to prove. Like Sachin Tendulkar a couple of years later, I think Murali played on a bit too long for his own good, and he might wish that he had retired earlier while he was still Sri Lanka's number one spinner.

It is very fitting that Tests between Australia and Sri Lanka are played for the Warne-Muralidaran Trophy. Probably the most equally matched case of a series trophy being named after a great player from each side.
... Warne was also an excellent captain when given the chance (for Hampshire anyway), ... Warne is also a very astute newspaper commentator - I don't do Sky so can't comment on his utterances there.
He's one of the better commentators on Nine (they now have an overlapping commentary panel with Sky for The Ashes) and a very good analyst of bowling and fielding tactics - probably a legacy of being the best captain Australia never had.

His captaincy of the Rajasthan Royals in the first year of the IPL was amazing - he used the Moneyball approach of picking a team without too many notable stars and falling well short of the salary cap, but they somehow won the first edition of the IPL which still remains the only edition I actually watched - Indian T20 was more like cricket back then.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Second Test Match....Day 2

Sri Lanka ... 356 all out
A remarkable batting performance by Kumar Sangakkara with his 11th Test Match double century in his 203 (3 x 6 / 18 x 4) and a good late order score by Chandimal of 67 (8 x 4) made the bad position of 78-5 far more respectable.

New Zealand were 22-0 in their second innings at close of play.

DownSouth

Established Member
And in the RSA-WI Test, yesterday's play saw the very rare event of a batsman scoring seven from one ball (i.e. three runs plus overthrows to the boundary - only the fourth time in Tests during the last 15 years) become a unique event because they were the first runs scored by Kraigg Brathwaite in his innings.

I saw one of the other three live at the 2006 Adelaide Test - the offending fielder we got to laugh at was England's brilliant batsman and cartoon supervillain Kevin Pietersen.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England Lions...361-4 (90 overs)

On day one of the tour match against a Gauteng Invitation XI, the opening pair of Lyth and Robson put on an opening stand of 176. Both these two batsmen "retired out" to enable other batmen take advantage of the batting track, Lyth for 106 and Robson for 109. Lees then carried on the good work and was 82 not out at stumps.

Trott was out, caught behind, after accumulating the magnificent score of....6 <(

Second Test Match...end of day 4.

New Zealand (2nd innings).....524-5 declared

An unbroken stand of 365 by Williamson (242 not out) and Watling (142 not out) took the score onwards from 159-5.

Sri Lanka (2nd innings).....45-1

Sri Lanka would need 345 more runs on the final day to win.

Last edited: