• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuperS16v

I have apart from MMI, Ive done a CBI not MMI.

Not heard anything from recruitment so until I do my plan is to be there at 8:45

Ah ok that makes sense. As you have passed the DMI you will be fine. It’s literally the same.

Still waiting on my DMI result.

Jungie1799

Hi Guys, I know I’ve asked this before but it was about a month ago now, I’m wondering if anyone has heard anything in regards to the Bournemouth depot? My application still says in process but I have not heard anything since doing the first tests, just wondering if they still haven’t gotten to the Bournemouth depot yet…
Sit tight mate, last thing I heard they were in no need for trainee drivers there for a while.

JH-OB

Thank you

There’s spaces In June available where the highest scoring candidates (DMI + OPC assessments) will be placed. After that the next course is January 25.
At my DMI I was informed that Birmingham have one course (full of Birmingham drivers) and 2 other courses for other depots in 2024. There is also a big push for drivers in 2025.

SuperS16v

will this pass me the group bourden test do you know guys ?

Hard to say as no one really knows.

It looks like you were covering 12 lines a page but either missing or getting some incorrect 3 or 4 times per page.

Personally I don’t think you would pass.

12 lines is impressive but your accuracy is letting you down massively. I think I was getting 9-10 lines but only 1 or 2 errors max across the whole test.

You need to concentrate on getting the accuracy first and then focus on speed.

Last edited:

JH-OB

Hard to say as no one really knows.

It looks like you were covering 12 lines a page but either missing or getting some incorrect 3 or 4 times per page.

Personally I don’t think you would pass.

12 lines is impressive but your accuracy is letting you down massively. I think I was getting 9-10 lines but only 1 or 2 errors max across the whole test.

You need to concentrate on getting the accuracy first and then focus on speed.

I’m going on what I was told at the interview and on the phone after I passed the DMI. They both said the same thing. Course in June with spaces for the highest scoring candidates, then on to 2025.
Fair enough, but Birmingham has their own courses as it’s the ‘hub depot’ with a lot more drivers than other depots. Which is why you may have been told Jun or 2025, as that may be the case for Birmingham. Those in for other depots have other courses available to them.

Hay all with regards to the pay it's listed as 28,464 going to 37,713 after basic, how long is that classed as or howling should I expect that to take, I'm just wondering if there are intermediate steps or what the structure might look like?

Hay all with regards to the pay it's listed as 28,464 going to 37,713 after basic, how long is that classed as or howling should I expect that to take, I'm just wondering if there are intermediate steps or what the structure might look like?

#10 in this thread from a couple of years back should give a rough idea.

manoj9mj

Was mentioned earlier in the thread and on older threads. RAAT test is for speed and accuracy. No one knows the exact scoring but it's better to get a higher % correct and not finish, rather than get, say 22/34 correct.

Well done for getting that far and fingers crossed for you!
Are you sure attempting 22 questions will make you pass?

JustG

So the train to Watford is £300 or I drive 4hrs down.

It’s a lot to consider, as I’m in a bit of a dilemma because I’ve accepted a role as a signaller. I was going to continue with this application as I’ve come so far, but the thought of driving 8hrs in one day and potentially being rejected anyway is putting me off. (I’ve been practicing the Bourdon test and the sheet I’m using says to complete in 30 seconds and I’m averaging a minute each time)

Samzino

£300 is a drop in the ocean for most future career prospects. It's really a case of how much do you really want it!?

It’s a lot to consider, as I’m in a bit of a dilemma because I’ve accepted a role as a signaller. I was going to continue with this application as I’ve come so far, but the thought of driving 8hrs in one day and potentially being rejected anyway is putting me off. (I’ve been practicing the Bourdon test and the sheet I’m using says to complete in 30 seconds and I’m averaging a minute each time)

TacoTraveller

£300? Go down the night before, after rush hour and return the next day before or after rush hour.

I just did a check from me and a return would be £109. Luckily I only have to go down for the MMI which is in April.

TacoTraveller

why go down the night before?
If cost is an issue then it's significantly cheaper to travel down outside of peak hours and it's cheaper at night.

Plus most people stay over as some tests are super early 9am for example so instead of travelling down on the day and exhausted from a 3,4 hour drive just before your tests, you travel down at night and stay in a hotel then travel back outside of peak hours again after the tests

Tysoe

Bit confused which stage I'm at compared to others on this thread

Had a call with the manager at Cambridge and another chap this week but don't feel like it was a DMI as such, more of a trimming the applicants process prior to official assessments. The call was only 20 minutes or so.

Seen others waiting for a DMI and some talking about taking a RAAT and travelling to Watford

Was told there are 2 positions at Cambridge

TacoTraveller

Bit confused which stage I'm at compared to others on this thread

Had a call with the manager at Cambridge and another chap this week but don't feel like it was a DMI as such, more of a trimming the applicants process prior to official assessments. The call was only 20 minutes or so.

Seen others waiting for a DMI and some talking about taking a RAAT and travelling to Watford

Was told there are 2 positions at Cambridge
If it was a driver manager and HR or two driver managers and there were about 10 questions I'd say it was a DMI that happens before the OPC assessments.

But everyone is at different stages depending on location, some are waiting for DMI, some are waiting for assessments and some of already passed assessment will be waiting for medicals.

holmes3755

How long have any successful applicants had to wait after DMI to hear back?

Assume it will differ depot to depot but just trying gauge an expected time frame

TacoTraveller

How long have any successful applicants had to wait after DMI to hear back?

Assume it will differ depot to depot but just trying gauge an expected time frame
I was successful at DMI but it took 5 weeks from when I did my interview to hearing back, but I was one of the first batch to do it.

I'd say as an average it's usually around 2 weeks

Tgh75

Is Manchester depot all done and dusted now. Says application in process after completing RAAT tests going on nearly 3 months now