• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Jungie1799

Oh, I see. My status changed back to "application in process" a few weeks ago rather than "assignment" and I also live exactly 59 minutes away from Bournemouth (when traffic is good) so I have a feeling I've been turned down based on distance.

Good luck with your DMI!
I have heard they can be quite strict with the distance from the depot. But I would assume they’d reject you instead of leaving you unanswered (?).

I think I have been quite lucky, I also applied for Trainee Train Driver at GWR and I have been waiting to hear back from the hiring manager for a year now.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrysalis

I have heard they can be quite strict with the distance from the depot. But I would assume they’d reject you instead of leaving you unanswered (?).

I think I have been quite lucky, I also applied for Trainee Train Driver at GWR and I have been waiting to hear back from the hiring manager for a year now.
I've seen quite a few other people mention in other threads about how Cross-country and other TOCs at times don't let them know they've been rejected, they just leave people hanging (presumably because HR is very busy). But yes, it'd make sense they'd decline me because of distance if they're picky with this so I'm not feeling bad about being rejected.

TacoTraveller

I've seen quite a few other people mention in other threads about how Cross-country and other TOCs at times don't let them know they've been rejected, they just leave people hanging (presumably because HR is very busy). But yes, it'd make sense they'd decline me because of distance if they're picky with this so I'm not feeling bad about being rejected.
I don't know particular circumstances, but they can be picky with travel distance to work and doesn't the travel time have to be 45 minutes from home to work not an hour?

Even if it was 59 minutes in good traffic that puts you over the hour in normal/bad traffic surely?

Chrysalis

I don't know particular circumstances, but they can be picky with travel distance to work and doesn't the travel time have to be 45 minutes from home to work not an hour?

Even if it was 59 minutes in good traffic that puts you over the hour in normal/bad traffic surely?
I remember the ad saying one hour.

And yes, it would put be over an hour in bad traffic, which is why I say I understand if they rejected me for this reason. Normal traffic is still under an hour, I'd say. Still wanted to try my luck.

Last edited:

Tysoe

In my dmi I mentioned I was in Bedford (currently 56 minutes to Cambridge station where I applied for) and they didn't seem phased and i have been progressed to assessment

jma18

Hi all,

Very new to this thread as I only found it after doing my part 1 on Tuesday. I’m an external candidate so reading this thread has been really helpful although I wish I’d found it sooner.

I thought it went ok apart from the dials test, I completely lost track of time and only answered 20 out of 43. I double checked these answered but I’m guessing because I answered less than 50% it’s probably not going to be great news. Does anyone who has passed have any views?

TacoTraveller

Hi all,

Very new to this thread as I only found it after doing my part 1 on Tuesday. I’m an external candidate so reading this thread has been really helpful although I wish I’d found it sooner.

I thought it went ok apart from the dials test, I completely lost track of time and only answered 20 out of 43. I double checked these answered but I’m guessing because I answered less than 50% it’s probably not going to be great news. Does anyone who has passed have any views?
The only thing I can suggest is that it's not about answering them all, it's how accurate you were also.

Reetzaboi

Hi all,

Hey, I was there Tuesday as well going through some of the old threads people pass with 18 all correct so if ur accuracy is there I don’t see why you couldn't pass I think the beeps messed me up lol think I got the correct amount but second guessing, wait to find out I guess

jma18

Hey, I was there Tuesday as well going through some of the old threads people pass with 18 all correct so if ur accuracy is there I don’t see why you couldn't pass I think the beeps messed me up lol think I got the correct amount but second guessing, wait to find out I guess
Thanks for the reply, that’s reassuring.

Yeah it’s amazing how something that seems so simple can mess with your head.

Good luck

baz962

Established Member
Hi all,

I answered about 21-22 and passed to enhanced.

holmes3755

Passed DMI, just waiting for opc test dates.

Did anyone that’s been get a choice of dates or were you allocated a set date?

staffrail123

Haven’t had any results yet. On the dials I got to question 33 but found remembering the paragraph a bit difficult. Hopefully hear something this week

Wilddog101

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me, I’ve been given an interview for a weeks time and was wondering what to expect and how best to prepare for it as I’m very nervous!!

TacoTraveller

Hi guys, I’m hoping someone might be able to help me, I’ve been given an interview for a weeks time and was wondering what to expect and how best to prepare for it as I’m very nervous!!
It'll be a DMI. Plenty of information on this thread and this forum in general. Using the search function at the top searching for DMI will be your best option.

jma18

Use the STAR model was the best tip I got. Think of some examples for safety critical incidents. Good luck

sktt25

Quick question for the people who have been to the Watford assessment centre, is there decent parking available on site or close by?

Last edited:

Nick82

Apologies in advance if wrong thread, however I read somewhere someone applied for Plymouth depot with XC but had to turn down due to work commitments.
I can't find the post but if anyone is aware of the post or who the individual is them a heads up there's a Trainee Train Driver vacancy advertised on arrivas career page...