• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

We hear gruff Yankee skipper telling his apprentice to get his head round bringing the boat into, and out of, port.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Alternative clue:

New thing in the jazz line? --- blue ra-ra horn: confusingly, in a part of the world usually seen as decidedly un-hip.

Loppylugs

London cleaner confused within walls of Whitehall ? Moved up north.

Sorry if anyone read my first clue but I think this one is easier to work out.

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Just to suggest something -- thinking "char" (salt-of-the-earth though most charladies undoubtedly are, even if not out of the top social drawer) -- Arrochar & Tarbet??

Loppylugs

Sorry John, not Charlbury. One of the walls of Whitehall is l. Within that and the other part of the wall you will find the confused London cleaner. Just to confuse (or help) you more, Common in this case is not an adjective, it is a noun. All part of the deceit. The net result is a station north to me but Midlands to you !

neilmc

I think the answer may be WOMBWELL. Matter of station search once I'd sussed that "London Cleaner" referred to the Wombles! Clever clues!

neilmc

D6130 has it again - anagram of "worst bodger unit", uniquely served by the Parry People Mover which might be considered a "bodger unit"!

D6130

Established Member
To celebrate my 500th post, I'll give you another clue:

Although this station is in the West of one Celtic country, a slim girl from the West of another Celtic country would pass through it after a ferry crossing.

Calthrop

Established Member
I continue to rack brains and get nowhere ! In frame of mind of coming up with some input, however ridiculous -- how about Bellarena, Northern Ireland? With Bella from those parts, having gone through a rigorous slimming regime: she is now -- compared to how she was before -- considerably "reaner" (if you're Japanese :E)...

D6130

Established Member
I continue to rack brains and get nowhere ! In frame of mind of coming up with some input, however ridiculous -- how about Bellarena, Northern Ireland? With Bella from those parts, having gone through a rigorous slimming regime: she is now -- compared to how she was before -- considerably "reaner" (if you're Japanese :E)...
Some wonderful lateral thinking there.....but still way off I'm afraid. As we only seem to have one other person racking their brains, shall I give you the answer?

neilmc

No idea, don't even know which country I'm supposed to be in and can't untangle any anagram. Give in.

johnnychips

Established Member
No, give us a bit of a geographic/railway company clue! If Celtic implies Ireland/NI or Scotland, can you tell us which one?

D6130

Established Member
If Celtic implies Ireland/NI or Scotland, can you tell us which one?
Neither NI or Scotland. Other Celtic lands in these islands include Cornwall, Wales, Ireland and the Isle of Man. Think of the ferry clue and assume that the girl in question is travelling on a train in one Celtic land, having recently disembarked from a ferry which has carried her from another Celtic land. There is now only one ferry route between two Celtic lands in these islands which still has direct rail connections at both ends, The answer is an anagram of a cryptic clue (sorry!). Good luck!