• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dangerous boarding procedures at Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

21C101

Established Member
Whilst waiting for my train, the 16:46 from Euston to Crewe, passengers were told not to wait around the platform entrances and were to told to wait in the concourse, by the third party security officers.

At around 16:40, the platform was announced and hurds of people immediately started running down to the platform, clashing with people around the food outlets.

It is quite literally an accident waiting to happen, with the amount of people tripping over each other. Even on the platform itself, passengers were running to the doors eager to get a seat.

The boarding procedure here at Euston really needs to be looked at. On multiple occasions, services are announced far too late, leading to the infamous ‘Euston scrum’.
At least you got on. At Milton Keynes this afternoon they kettled everyone on the concourse until too late and they missed their trains.
Then closed the station and chucked everyone out on the grounds that the concourse was dangerously overcrowded.
Ho Hum

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amos

At least you got on. At Milton Keynes this afternoon they kettled everyone on the concourse until too late and they missed their trains.
Then closed the station and chucked everyone out on the grounds that the concourse was dangerously overcrowded.
Ho Hum
Yes,posted in the other thread and it seems that I was incredibly lucky.Arrived at Euston at 18.20,on the train 18.40 and back in MK at 19.10.Think I should buy a lottery ticket.

21C101

Established Member
Yes,posted in the other thread and it seems that I was incredibly lucky.Arrived at Euston at 18.20,on the train 18.40 and back in MK at 19.10.Think I should buy a lottery ticket.
Think it was mostly sorted by then. Had been total chaos mid afternoon

Travelmonkey

Could there not be a halfway fix in that people could be asked to wait in that zone of 12 to 16 for their train not necessarily giving the platform straight away, and the same for 1 to 7, would reduce the sprints from that side of the station if train was on platform 1 and vice versa
Separating zones is a blessing and a curse just look at the A end of Birmingham New Street especially if there is a slap dash platform alteration,

Craig1122

He mentions in one of his tweets that it is faster to drive from Manchester to London. When the train is not delayed it takes under 3 hours. I find it hard to believe the car would be quicker than that when you take parking into consideration.
A lot of the answer to that depends where exactly you're starting from and going to. Unlikely to be next to the station at both ends.

Krokodil

Established Member
A lot of the answer to that depends where exactly you're starting from and going to. Unlikely to be next to the station at both ends.
He does mention that when they are stuck at Stockport: "I am much closer to home than when I started"

Belperpete

Established Member
There wasn't the same need to sweat the assets, trains were allowed longer turnaround times and therefore waiting at the platform when people arrived to board. It's strange though, no one would dream of keeping people at the barriers at Milton Keynes Central until the train arrived then a scrum to get on, why this happens at Euston I'll never know.

Do many long-distance trains begin their journeys Milton Keynes like they do at Euston? By the time they get to MKC they will already be crewed and have their reservations displayed.

As I posted previously, I think the underlying cause of the problems at Euston is the not unreasonable practice of not letting people board until the crew say the train is ready, that cleaning has been finished and the seat reservations are up.

Incidentally, I have noticed a quirk of the new boards, that the "next train to xxx" part of the display often shows the platform number a minute or two before the main part listing the trains by column.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
As I posted previously, I think the underlying cause of the problems at Euston is the not unreasonable practice of not letting people board until the crew say the train is ready, that cleaning has been finished
But they could let people onto the platform.

I daresay Euston will soon start the same nonsense as Paddington, and tell people not to use third party apps. Thus highlighting to people there are third party apps and thus making the problem even worse!

PeterC

Established Member
He mentions in one of his tweets that it is faster to drive from Manchester to London. When the train is not delayed it takes under 3 hours. I find it hard to believe the car would be quicker than that when you take parking into consideration.
He also mentions the M25 closure which suggests a start from the outer suburbs to the south or southwest if London. When you add in a taxi to your local station, with an allowance for the driver bring late, train to a London terminus and tube transfer then the car does start to become competitive.

parkender102

Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston on Avanti is just over 2 Hours, with 2 Hours 6 minutes being the fastest journey - barring any delays. Impossible to do it faster in a car unless you break all the speed limits and travel at 2am in the morning. From experience (I'm in Chester, a similar distance to London) driving is going to take 4 or 5 Hours unless travelling in the very early hours of the morning. Chester to London on the Direct Avanti Service can be done in 2 Hours 3 Minutes.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston on Avanti is just over 2 Hours, with 2 Hours 6 minutes being the fastest journey - barring any delays. Impossible to do it faster in a car unless you break all the speed limits and travel at 2am in the morning. From experience (I'm in Chester, a similar distance to London) driving is going to take 4 or 5 Hours unless travelling in the very early hours of the morning. Chester to London on the Direct Avanti Service can be done in 2 Hours 3 Minutes.
But he was measuring door to door time. He lives at neither Picadilly nor Euston

Starmill

Veteran Member
As I posted previously, I think the underlying cause of the problems at Euston is the not unreasonable practice of not letting people board until the crew say the train is ready, that cleaning has been finished and the seat reservations are up.
I think you're misunderstanding though. There's nothing to say people need to board the train is there?

To travel on a train with an Advance ticket you must turn up much earlier, with a private car you can depart at any time you wish. Add connections across London into the mix and the likely extra time you need because the train won't get to your destination at exactly the right time for your preferred schedule and you find driving and thw train service usually on a par on a typical day for congestion / train punctuality.

GordonT

Which other stations of a broadly similar profile of operations could be used as role models for Euston to aspire to in terms of boarding procedures?

londonmidland

Established Member
Once again the 13:46 from Euston to Crewe was announced late, at around 13:38. Not as as bad as past experiences, however.

Even RTT ‘knew’ what platform the train was in, several minutes before. It displayed ‘at platform’ at 13:30. So it was just sitting in the platform a good time before it was advertised.

What is the obsession with advertising trains as late as possible at Euston?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

So it seems the predictable happened and there was a crush situation at Euston yesterday.

There seriously needs to be some intervention here from Network Rail this is just a disaster waiting to happen as it stands

That just shows a lot of people, not a dangerous crush?

Which other stations of a broadly similar profile of operations could be used as role models for Euston to aspire to in terms of boarding procedures?

I'm not sure there is one. Indeed I can't think of anywhere outside the UK that does this stupid suppression thing and deals with those volumes.

It is a bit like Luton Airport was before reserved seating.

DelW

Established Member
Waterloo doesn't often announce trains at the last minute. Usually they're on the screens 10 - 15 minutes before departure, and pax are allowed through even as the incoming train is arriving, without any apparent safety issues.

There aren't usually cleaners operating though, and sadly no buffets to restock.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Can reservations be downloaded on final approach, and cleaning (rather than just litter picking which can be done on the go) be moved to the outer terminus?

That just leaves stocking which only requires two doors, the staff only end one and the one at the buffet end of C. And could be done while boarding.

It would mean needing to give up the boarding checks though (absent a central gateline). Are there other options to these?

Cancellations affect this too, causing us to go from only a few without reservations to loads. A realistic emergency timetable would reduce this, plus allowing anyone whose train is cancelled to use any train that day so they can go away and come back
later if able.

And completely stop suppressing LNR and LO platforms. There is simply no reason to do so.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think London Waterloo does have turnaround cleaners, it's just that during certain times of the day they can't really do many trains because it's too busy. They can be requested for cleaning specific areas or they just do a litter pick. It's not thorough. In general Avanti West Coast do like to have a bit more of a clean than that which I think makes sense, but not at the expense of this sort of crowding.

And completely stop suppressing LNR and LO platforms. There is simply no reason to do so.
This would probably solve half of the trouble at a stroke.

allowing anyone whose train is cancelled to use any train that day so they can go away and come back
later if able.
Avanti West Coast sometimes allow this but don't advertise it. In my view it makes absolutely no sense not to derestrict a ticket so it may be used on any service that day as soon as a full cancellation becomes known, even if it were to retain it's original TOC restrictions. Ideally this would be in the NRCoT, but there's no need for that specifically because Avanti could just put up posters and tweet out this policy unilaterally for their services...

Starmill

Veteran Member
Always remember that crushes can be quiet and subtle. Not saying that this video shows a crush, but worth remembering.
It shows a situation which could easily become a crush if something small went wrong.

Craig1122

Waterloo doesn't often announce trains at the last minute. Usually they're on the screens 10 - 15 minutes before departure, and pax are allowed through even as the incoming train is arriving, without any apparent safety issues.

There aren't usually cleaners operating though, and sadly no buffets to restock.
There are turn round cleaners but it's very inconsistent. They also clean at the other end for some routes. So for example Windsor has cleaners where they get nearly 30 minutes rather than around 10 at Waterloo. I suspect rethinking where tasks like this take place would be part of the answer for Euston.

I use Waterloo 3-4 times a week. It can get crowded during major disruption which occasionally leads to the concourse being closed. I've never had an issue during normal operations, trains are boarded as soon as they arrive. The only time you're sometimes waiting on the platform is when they've come empty from depot.

Krokodil

Established Member
I'm not sure there is one. Indeed I can't think of anywhere outside the UK that does this stupid suppression thing and deals with those volumes.
Most of the European countries I'm familiar with (so predominantly the German-speaking ones) go so far as to publish the booked platform numbers on the printed timetable posters.

I suspect rethinking where tasks like this take place would be part of the answer for Euston.
Easy enough for Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool, those journeys are short enough to do the turnaround cleaning at the country end and a basic litterpick at Euston. The Anglo-Scots on the other hand are travelling far enough that you really want a proper clean at both ends.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Most of the European countries I'm familiar with (so predominantly the German-speaking ones) go so far as to publish the booked platform numbers on the printed timetable posters.

Easy enough for Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool, those journeys are short enough to do the turnaround cleaning at the country end and a basic litterpick at Euston. The Anglo-Scots on the other hand are travelling far enough that you really want a proper clean at both ends.

These are of course just 2/9 of the service. Fix the majority and those two won't matter.

ModernRailways

Established Member
That just shows a lot of people, not a dangerous crush?
If you look at historical data the situation at Euston could very easily become a crush and ultimately a major incident.
As an example, people entering the station from the tube/Euston Rd can see it’s busy but there is still movement so they continue to pile into the station to check departure boards (they’re tiny now so can’t easily be seen from everywhere). Those people coming off trains come up the ramps and want to leave the station, adding into the passenger volume but this is now two flows travelling in different directions adding to an already packed concourse. The crush then forms, those in the middle have no idea and by then it’s too late because those people in the middle no longer have enough space.

As a few others have said the only services that should be suppressed are the Avanti services, and even they should always have a minimum of 10 minutes from being posted to departing. If a train cannot do that then it should either be delayed departing, have passengers already waiting on platform ready to board from t-10 mins, or it departs booked time but will show cancelled on departure boards (the train departs EUS on time and begins its journey as a passenger service from the first station it was booked to call).

uglymonkey

I think very sadly, its going to take someone being seriously injured or regrettably killed for any change to happen. I don't know what risk assessments are carried out, its an accident waiting to happen .

Status
Not open for further replies.