• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Different Driver Depot, Route and Traction cards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grvrdvicdr

Are there any plans for Charing Cross to sign 707s in the future?
Likely be when more get introduced and they’re integrated into timetable more as they’re doing exact same work as 376 and eventually rostering will probably become difficult to work cross and Victoria drivers around being on them. Those currently doing their rules will probably end up learning the traction anyway

ComUtoR

Established Member
eventually rostering will probably become difficult to work cross and Victoria drivers around being on them. Those currently doing their rules will probably end up learning the traction anyway

Multi traction hasn't been much of an issue for many years. Vic and Cross have always been the odd ones out in terms of traction and routes.

The 707s have been replacing the 465 fleet. They are/will be everything Metro and also Gillingham.

Class360/1

Hi thanks all for creating this thread, i find it very informative and helpful! Out of interest what do ‘links’ mean?

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi thanks all for creating this thread, i find it very informative and helpful! Out of interest what do ‘links’ mean?

A link is a group of drivers - think of it as a link in a chain. Normally, you move ‘up’ the links as you gain seniority, which will involve any combination of more sociable shifts, bigger route cards, more traction signed.

Class360/1

A link is a group of drivers - think of it as a link in a chain. Normally, you move ‘up’ the links as you gain seniority, which will involve any combination of more sociable shifts, bigger route cards, more traction signed.
Thank you!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A link usually refers to a subsection of a depot; in the strictest sense it refers to the planned rotation of shifts which a group of drivers will undertake. For example, doing 4 early shifts, then 2 days off, then 4 late shifts, then 4 days off, and so forth. A link will allocate drivers to specific shifts of duty (diagrams) based on the duration and start/finish time, to ensure they get sufficient rest hours between shifts.

At most depots above a certain size, the diagrams worked by a depot will be split up into several links, based on factors such as the routes and traction which are included in each diagram, as well as whether it's a night/unsociable shift.

This firstly means that it is quicker getting drivers productive when they join off the street or from another TOC/depot, as they don't need to learn as many routes/traction types to be able to work all of the diagrams in the starter/lowest link.

It also serves as an incentive to stay at a company/depot (and a reward for long service), because in the "higher" links you will typically see a greater variety of work as well as fewer unsociable shifts.

It can also be done where a depot only has a limited number of instances of work on a given line or traction type, so that you can be sure that drivers will work that route/traction sufficiently frequently not to lose their competency.

Last edited:

Training

A link usually refers to a subsection of a depot; in the strictest sense it refers to the planned rotation of shifts which a group of drivers will undertake. For example, doing 4 early shifts, then 2 days off, then 4 late shifts, then 4 days off, and so forth. A link will allocate drivers to specific shifts of duty (diagrams) based on the duration and start/finish time, to ensure they get sufficient rest hours between shifts.

At most depots above a certain size, the diagrams worked by a depot will be split up into several links, based on factors such as the routes and traction which are included in each diagram, as well as whether it's a night/unsociable shift.

This firstly means that it is quicker getting drivers productive when they join off the street or from another TOC/depot, as they don't need to learn as many routes/traction types to be able to work all of the diagrams in the starter/lowest link.

It also serves as an incentive to stay at a company/depot (and a reward for long service), because in the "higher" links you will typically see a greater variety of work as well as fewer unsociable shifts.

It can also be done where a depot only has a limited number of instances of work on a given line or traction type, so that you can be sure that drivers will work that route/traction sufficiently frequently not to lose their competency.
Thanks for this which is very helpful. Can I just ask what getting ‘traction signed’ means though?

Also wondered in your experience do TOC tend to recruit their mainline drivers exclusively from their depot stock… do they ever recruit trainee mainline drivers who no previous experience?

Thanks again for the helpful comments.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can I just ask what getting ‘traction signed’ means though?
'Traction' refers to the model of locomotive or unit you will be driving - e.g. a class 170. Drivers must have training on both the route in question, as well as all classes of traction included in their train, to be allowed to drive. They must normally also have driven the route and traction in the last 6 months for their training to remain valid, although there are exceptions to this.

Also wondered in your experience do TOC tend to recruit their mainline drivers exclusively from their depot stock… do they ever recruit trainee mainline drivers who no previous experience?
It varies completely by TOC. Some companies (almost) solely recruit internally, or existing drivers from other TOCs. This has historically been the case at most intercity TOCs such as Avanti/Virgin and CrossCountry. As the more regional TOCs have tended to lose drivers to these TOCs, they are more likely to recruit 'off the street'.

However there have been several instances of even the aforementioned intercity TOCs recruiting trainee drivers in the last few years, so I wouldn't rule anything out.

Training

'Traction' refers to the model of locomotive or unit you will be driving - e.g. a class 170. Drivers must have training on both the route in question, as well as all classes of traction included in their train, to be allowed to drive. They must normally also have driven the route and traction in the last 6 months for their training to remain valid, although there are exceptions to this.

It varies completely by TOC. Some companies (almost) solely recruit internally, or existing drivers from other TOCs. This has historically been the case at most intercity TOCs such as Avanti/Virgin and CrossCountry. As the more regional TOCs have tended to lose drivers to these TOCs, they are more likely to recruit 'off the street'.

However there have been several instances of even the aforementioned intercity TOCs recruiting trainee drivers in the last few years, so I wouldn't rule anything out.
Thanks for the reply.

Really and appreciated… will continue reading through the posts!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Holyhead is opening for Avanti - does anyone know what/where they'll sign?

Val3ntine

Also, does anyone know details for Clapham Junction depot at SWR that I believe has recently opened?

craigybagel

Established Member
Holyhead is opening for Avanti - does anyone know what/where they'll sign?
I'm sure when it was asked before on another thread the expectation was it was just going to be Holyhead - Crewe, but I won't put anything in until I get confirmation.

Also, does anyone know details for Clapham Junction depot at SWR that I believe has recently opened?

No info, because it hasn’t.
Seems a strange place to open a new depot when they already have Waterloo and Wimbledon in close proximity. Presumably this will see a transfer of some work from either or both of those depots and a reduction in taxi/PASS time for jobs that involve units stabled in Clapham?

Last edited:

RJM

Seems a strange place to open a new depot when they already have Waterloo and Wimbledon in close proximity. Presumably this will see a transfer of some work from either or both of those depots and a reduction in taxi/PASS time for jobs that involve units stabled in Clapham?

Nobody knows if it’s even going to open yet, the whole thing has gone very quiet.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
What platforms do Southern & Southeastern drivers sign at Victoria?
Is it P1-8 for Southeastern & P8-19 for Southern?

I think there's a bit more crossover than that - I've seen Southern in P7, but it probably depends on the extent of the signalling and how far across they can get (signalling diagram suggests P3)

Established Member
I think there's a bit more crossover than that - I've seen Southern in P7, but it probably depends on the extent of the signalling and how far across they can get.

It’s a few years since I’ve signed it, but IIRC p7 and p8 were available for use by either Southern or SE services (albeit usually SE).

(But SE drivers only signed 1 - 8)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It’s a few years since I’ve signed it, but IIRC p7 and p8 were available for use by either Southern or SE services (albeit usually SE).

(But SE drivers only signed 1 - 8)

Yes P8 is very much dual usage (and limited at that!), but P7 is almost entirely SE but Southern can use in a pinch or say weekend engineering works. Feasibly though they could swing further to the Eastern side, just I've never heard of it happening. Without going via Stewarts Lane, Southeastern couldn't even get over o the Central platforms, let alone signing them.

Established Member
Yes P8 is very much dual usage (and limited at that!), but P7 is almost entirely SE but Southern can use in a pinch or say weekend engineering works. Feasibly though they could swing further to the Eastern side, just I've never heard of it happening. Without going via Stewarts Lane, Southeastern couldn't even get over o the Central platforms, let alone signing them.

It’s a nightmare station overall, lots of traps with platform length limitations (apart from P2 which is about a mile long and was used for the old newspaper trains). Also a weird signalling arrangement so that you’d often depart p3 on a single yellow, cross to P2 and have to drive towards a red signal (this was designed to prevent a train in P2 seeing a proceed aspect for a departure from p3). Too slow and you’d gap, but you always had the slight fear the signal wouldn’t come off and you’d SPAD…

And that’s before getting onto the pathetic politics about who sat where in the messroom (and commonplace to see mice running around in there). A truly vile place!

Class2ldn

I can whole heartedly agree with the above, hated going there.
That platform 3 to 2 was so dodgy.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
A few updates here:

GWR
Bristol Temple Meads GWR add in 150 traction knowledge, this is still retained for the tyre turning moves to St Philips Marsh depot and the early Saturday morning Bristol to Exmouth.

Exeter St Davids GWR add in Crediton to Okehampton.

SWR
Ryde, delete 483 remove comment about line being closed.

Salisbury, delete Westbury to Bristol TM as this is no longer signed.

Yeovil, also delete Westbury to Bristol and additionally delete Yeovil to Weymouth (in both cases SWR have officially dropped the routes)

railfan249

Anyone know what the duty content of LNER Newcastle is like? I don’t mean routes signed off. I mean like actual content of the duty. Like do you take a train to Edinburgh, have a break, then back to Newcastle etc. Just curious!

godfreycomplex

Established Member

craigybagel

Established Member
Nobody knows if it’s even going to open yet, the whole thing has gone very quiet.
It wouldn't surprise me if the same could be said about Holyhead Avanti?
A few updates here:

GWR
Bristol Temple Meads GWR add in 150 traction knowledge, this is still retained for the tyre turning moves to St Philips Marsh depot and the early Saturday morning Bristol to Exmouth.

Exeter St Davids GWR add in Crediton to Okehampton.

SWR
Ryde, delete 483 remove comment about line being closed.

Salisbury, delete Westbury to Bristol TM as this is no longer signed.

Yeovil, also delete Westbury to Bristol and additionally delete Yeovil to Weymouth (in both cases SWR have officially dropped the routes)
Cheers, all updated.

headshot119

Established Member
In terms of Avanti a rather specific question. Which drivers depot(s) signs Chester - Sandbach via Middlewich as I know they have occasional booked diverts that way, and also some adhoc ones.

Do any Avanti drivers still sign Hartford to Greenbank via Hartford CLC? If so which depots?

wobman

On Moderation
It wouldn't surprise me if the same could be said about Holyhead Avanti?

Cheers, all updated.
I've heard that avanti have filled the roles at Holyhead and training starts next year, it will be a very limited route card by the looks of things.

_toommm_

Established Member
I've heard that avanti have filled the roles at Holyhead and training starts next year, it will be a very limited route card by the looks of things.

I think it was Holyhead to Chester (maybe extended to Crewe), plus Wrexham. They may also sign the diversion via Middlewich.

cwjohnstone

Just out of interest; If you're a DI at Southern (Vic in particular) do you sign everything or just whatever link you are in? Ta