• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 360's

Kite159

Veteran Member
I can't remember the exact layout, but the LNR 2+2 layout has something very close to that number, so I guess they will likely move it to the middle section of one of the vehicles.
Which is a shame as the areas behind the cabs is ideal in my eyes. Won't get people walking through it searching for the toilet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can't remember the exact layout, but the LNR 2+2 layout has something very close to that number, so I guess they will likely move it to the middle section of one of the vehicles.
It’s 2+1 as well, having checked the EMR consultation stuff, so they’ll need to be more like the TPE set up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Avanti West Coast have been going for less time and refurbished multiple voyagers.

They have, but they've also had the units since day one of the franchise, EMR haven't.

It’s 2+1 as well, having checked the EMR consultation stuff, so they’ll need to be more like the TPE set up.

TPE has 19 seats, so unless they are going for Standard-like spacing (in which case it'll be tight with the thicker backs of 1st seats) it's going to need to be an end and centre section, I guess of one of the end vehicles, then. No gangways to worry about I suppose.

Edit: 321s had it either side of a dedicated door, so that will probably work fine.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
Until the fleet gets refurbished will first class be declassified? I don’t see the point in charging first class fares for what is clearly deemed standard class on an Intercity service...

LowLevel

Established Member
Until the fleet gets refurbished will first class be declassified? I don’t see the point in charging first class fares for what is clearly deemed standard class on an Intercity service...

That question hasnt actually been addressed I don't think but looking on real time trains the answer would appear to be yes - all 360 operated services are showing as standard class only. Be interesting to see what the PDF timetable says when they appear.

43102EMR

Established Member
That question hasnt actually been addressed I don't think but looking on real time trains the answer would appear to be yes - all 360 operated services are showing as standard class only. Be interesting to see what the PDF timetable says when they appear.
Thank you - yeah I can’t really see the first class section working out until the fleet gets refurbished, considering during peak times a 12 car 360 will have 6 first class sections...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you - yeah I can’t really see the first class section working out until the fleet gets refurbished, considering during peak times a 12 car 360 will have 6 first class sections...
Presumably it would work just like a 12.450 but without any gangways...

Aictos

Established Member
Just to state that East Midlands Railway has advised that the Class 360s will be declassified until the fleet is refurbished however this won't be officially confirmed until nearer the May TT change when EMR will have more retail information available on those services.

So until more retail information is available, EMR won't deny or confirm about 1st Class.

I hope that puts to rest any speculation about 1st Class and Declassification.

43102EMR

Established Member
Just to state that East Midlands Railway has advised that the Class 360s will be declassified until the fleet is refurbished however this won't be officially confirmed until nearer the May TT change when EMR will have more retail information available on those services.

So until more retail information is available, EMR won't deny or confirm about 1st Class.

Very much so, thank you so much!

LowLevel

Established Member

"I've asked the Twitter team who have given a non committal and conflicting response because they don't really know" would be quicker.

Aictos

Established Member
"I've asked the Twitter team who have given a non committal and conflicting response because they don't really know" would be quicker.
They should know though as it's less then 4 weeks to the launch of the EMR Electrics services.

WesternLancer

Established Member
They should know though as it's less then 4 weeks to the launch of the EMR Electrics services.
I fear a case of more methods of / platforms for communication - less knowledge of accurate facts to communicate....

Railperf

Established Member
Unidentified 360 being dragged along the Goblin through South Tottenham eastbound.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I can see why the existing first class accommodation in the 360s is to be declassified as it's no better than the Standard in the 222s and HSTs that they are replacing. However, presumably they will be refurbished one or two at a time and, on return they, too, will have to have their first accommodation declassified, too, until the whole fleet has been up-graded and it will be possible to re-launch first.

Could this create a few problems, I wonder...

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I can see why the existing first class accommodation in the 360s is to be declassified as it's no better than the Standard in the 222s and HSTs that they are replacing. However, presumably they will be refurbished one or two at a time and, on return they, too, will have to have their first accommodation declassified, too, until the whole fleet has been up-graded and it will be possible to re-launch first.

Could this create a few problems, I wonder...
Means regular passengers get a chance to sample First and decide whether it's worth the extra?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Means regular passengers get a chance to sample First and decide whether it's worth the extra?

Some clever marketing from EMR could say something along the lines of "the celebrate our new EMR electrics service to Corby, first class seating is available to all users for a trial period!" (or something like that), for some good PR.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Aren't the refurbed 360's going to have the same seats as the 810s?

Fisa Leans?

So the 1st class ones will be different to standard, as on the likes of 745s which also have leans, standard and 1st class look the same.

LowLevel

Established Member
Some clever marketing from EMR could say something along the lines of "the celebrate our new EMR electrics service to Corby, first class seating is available to all users for a trial period!" (or something like that), for some good PR.

"This is rubbish, I'd not pay a penny more for it" :lol:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
One of the objectives of the Corby Electrics is to provide a faster service to Thameslink stations. There will be the unusual situation where the slower trains will have first and the expresses will not. I don't recollect platform announcements or displays ever specifying 'This train conveys standard class accommodation only', so there may be some feedback from Thameslink first class season ticket holders (although I don't know if there are many) particularly as the trains do have accommodation marked as first, but de-classified.

Not all users - if the new service is as wildly popular as seems to be suggested and with the first accommodation of course quite limited, only those that get there first. Might create conflict rather than satisfaction...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't recollect platform announcements or displays ever specifying 'This train conveys standard class accommodation only'

I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but Thameslink services where the first is declassified (eg anything south of St Albans that calls at Radlett) are advertised with “First Class accommodation is not available on this service”. Even though there are 2 areas designated and signed as first class with 52 seats between them!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but Thameslink services where the first is declassified (eg anything south of St Albans that calls at Radlett) are advertised with “First Class accommodation is not available on this service”. Even though there are 2 areas designated and signed as first class with 52 seats between them!

Thanks, I only use Thameslink very infrequently so didn't know that.

Was thinking more of somewhere like Preston, where services to, for example, Manchester are provided by Northern and TPE where one TOC has first and the other doesn't. There's no announcement, but presumably it's assumed that passengers are aware that Northern never provide first. Slightly different with EMR, who do provide first out of St. Pancras, but not on the services concerned.

Aictos

Established Member
I’m not sure if this is what you mean, but Thameslink services where the first is declassified (eg anything south of Luton that calls at Radlett) are advertised with “First Class accommodation is not available on this service”. Even though there are 2 areas designated and signed as first class with 52 seats between them!
Just had to correct you there ;) Saying that though there are exceptions to that rule for example the two Bedford to Rainham services that operate Monday to Friday in the morning peak only are fully declassified even between Bedford and Luton.

Also for the outer suburban services eg Bedford to Brighton for example, the rear most 1st Class compartment is always declassified in the direction of travel.

Killingworth

Established Member
The entire Northern network seems to function without first class complications. Northern has many faults, but how many travellers from Corby really need first?

Surely post Covid EMR must reconsider spending money on something users will have had several years of not paying for before first can be reintroduced? Just ensure all users get quality seating.

Supercoss

For start of service new May timetable some stats floating around
only 14 of the 21 units will be used with 8 car formations so peak ' run out' 7 x 8 car formations
and a start made cleaning external carriage bodywork to allow new vinyls/logos to be applies rather than repaint this will be dome in stabling
sidings rather than depots initially.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The entire Northern network seems to function without first class complications. Northern has many faults, but how many travellers from Corby really need first?

Surely post Covid EMR must reconsider spending money on something users will have had several years of not paying for before first can be reintroduced? Just ensure all users get quality seating.

When I commuted from Wellingborough in the 1990's (admittedly, that's long ago now) there was quite a contingent of first class season ticket holders using Kettering and Wellingborough. It's not unusual for the shires to have areas of affluence and that's the case in Northamptonshire. You may be surprised by the type and prices of property in villages where Corby is the railhead.
From their (often loud) conversations the employment of the 1990s commuters centred around finance and insurance (for example, being a Lloyds member), with the status that they needed to show their face in their office around 3 days a week and keep minions on their toes. Not candidates for working from home, but possibly they won't find the accommodation on offer (and the lack of opportunity for G&Ts on the way home) in the new service acceptable.
Of course, some will think their absence will not be missed or even welcome, but the revenue they provide might be.

Talking of Northern, there was once a strong market for first class commuting into Manchester (the 'Club Trains', for instance) all gone now. I have no idea whether the loss was caused by lack of demand or lack of supply, but in the East Midlands Electrics it seems it will be the latter. I can't see how it's realistic to expect first class demand to return after it's not provided for a period - perhaps a year

JonathanH

Veteran Member
For start of service new May timetable some stats floating around
only 14 of the 21 units will be used with 8 car formations so peak ' run out' 7 x 8 car formations
and a start made cleaning external carriage bodywork to allow new vinyls/logos to be applies rather than repaint this will be dome in stabling
sidings rather than depots initially.
Presumably the requirement for seven pairs of units is a function of the moves to and from Bedford Cauldwell Walk associated with the through services to Melton Mowbray?

It otherwise looks like only six pairs are required for the basic three hour cycles.