• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

sannox

I thought the 9 was a lot older than 1999/2000. That said I wasn't as aware of routes back then.

It was. In Strathclyde's day the 9 went to Drumchapel from Pollok as far as I remember.

The Linwood bus was a 39 which was Linwood-Garthamlock. At the Linwood end the 17 provided further buses with the Paisley Road West corridor served by 53,54 and 55 buses with various suffixes!

Penilee was latterly a 54 which used to go to Summerston (although the 54 did go to Paisley too at times). There was also buses that ran through Penilee to Paisley (might have been 53A)

It's now well over 20 years ago unbelievably so the memories are hazy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The 9 route travelling to the south side of the river was an extension of the original 9 route from George Square to Drumchapel run by Glasgow Corporation of course. Before that, it was a Auchenshuggle to Clydebank service, as shown on the 1938 route map, that can be found at https://maps.nls.uk/towns/rec/6127.
It's interesting to note that on that map, the bus from the City to Kings Park was the 7/7A, meaning that number has been in use for at least 83 years without a break...

route101

Established Member
The 9 route travelling to the south side of the river was an extension of the original 9 route from George Square to Drumchapel run by Glasgow Corporation of course. Before that, it was a Auchenshuggle to Clydebank service, as shown on the 1938 route map, that can be found at https://maps.nls.uk/towns/rec/6127.
It's interesting to note that on that map, the bus from the City to Kings Park was the 7/7A, meaning that number has been in use for at least 83 years without a break...
Amazing, I think the 31 is a longstanding number too.

Volvodart

Established Member

FIRST BUS PREPARES FOR COP26 WITH ORDER OF 22 BYD ADL ENVIRO200EV ELECTRIC BUSES FOR GLASGOW NETWORK​

Published: 03 Mar 2021

Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) and BYD UK jointly announced today that their electric vehicle partnership, the UK’s leading electric bus producer, has taken an order for 22 BYD ADL Enviro200EV electric single deck buses from First Bus.
The buses, which are part-funded by the Scottish Government, will be deployed in Glasgow in time for the COP26 United Nations’ Climate Change conference, ahead of further electrification of the First Bus fleet in the city.
This comes just seven months after First Bus announced its commitment to purchase no diesel buses after 2022 and to operate a fully zero-emission fleet by 2035.
ADL is a subsidiary of leading independent global bus manufacturer NFI Group Inc. (NFI), while BYD is a global leader in batteries, energy management and electric mobility. Using BYD’s battery electric driveline technology, ADL will assemble the buses at its factory in Falkirk, ensuring the investment benefits the local economy in Scotland’s Central Belt.
The Scottish Government has supported First’s purchase of these 22 BYD ADL Enviro200EV through the first round of the Scottish Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme.
The new electric vehicles, which will be 11.6m long and seat up to 40 passengers each, will be based at the state-of-the-art First Bus Caledonia depot in Glasgow. Charging facilities have already been installed there as part of an earlier project, which also saw a pair of similar BYD ADL Enviro200EV introduced at the start of 2020, giving the company valuable experience in the operation of electric buses.
Andrew Jarvis, Managing Director for First Bus in Scotland, said: “We are delighted to have been awarded this funding. Cleaner air is vitally important to all of us in society and we are determined to play our part in the communities that we serve. In January last year, we launched the city’s first electric buses on a commercial bus route since the 1960s and we are proud that we can now build upon this with another 22 fully electric vehicles, which will replace the oldest buses in our fleet to further improve air quality in the city of Glasgow. We have led the way with bus operators in Glasgow as a key partner with Glasgow City Council for the country’s first ever LEZ rollout and we have ambitious plans to help accelerate this process and make up for lost time due to the pandemic.”
Paul Davies, ADL President & Managing Director, said: “COP26 will be a showcase of Britain’s commitment to fighting climate change, and First’s new electric buses will be a testament to the initiative taken by the transport group to achieve a zero-emission fleet by 2035. Built in Scotland, these electric buses for Glasgow keep Scottish Government investment in the country to maximise the benefit to our communities, underpinning jobs and developing skills in clean vehicle technology.”
Frank Thorpe, Managing Director at BYD UK, added: “Once again we have a high profile operator in a major British city making a firm commitment to eMobility. With BYD battery technology at the heart of these vehicles, First Bus can look forward to clean, reliable and efficient operation for years to come. Of course, we’re thrilled at the prospect of our vehicles taking centre stage during COP26,” he said, “although the real winners will be the people of Glasgow who are set to benefit from a new way of travelling around their great city – a way that is truly sustainable, as well as extremely safe and comfortable.”

Last edited:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member

FIRST BUS PREPARES FOR COP26 WITH ORDER OF 22 BYD ADL ENVIRO200EV ELECTRIC BUSES FOR GLASGOW NETWORK​

It’ll be interesting to see these electric buses on a busy main street route. Out of curiosity has the 9/9A moved to Caledonia yet? Also the current B7RLEs are way past their best... I presume they’ll start to withdraw them for scrap?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Probably just for trainers elsewhere, if anyone is needing more now.
The Glasgow training fleet will need to be upgraded to meet the LEZ requirements.

Many other fleets have now or are getting trainers so treated (Leeds, Sheffield, Southampton) so not many places. Bath's 54 plates have gone for scrap, charity or preservation so expect the older examples in Glasgow to go the same way.

Volvodart

Established Member
The ex Diamond ones are supposed to be doing this at Glasgow and Aberdeen with the Scanias there moving to First Scotland East, so they should not need any more.

route101

Established Member
It’ll be interesting to see these electric buses on a busy main street route. Out of curiosity has the 9/9A moved to Caledonia yet? Also the current B7RLEs are way past their best... I presume they’ll start to withdraw them for scrap?
Still a Scotstoun route, wonder if drivers will move over? Some ex Larky drivers will be familiar with the 9 as Larkfield did do shorts for a short spell.

Zakforbes4

Are these going in a standard first livery or are they gonna do some special electric livery.

Arriva Fan

Are these going in a standard first livery or are they gonna do some special electric livery.
Hopefully standard First, they already have way too many Liveries.

So they will definitely be in an Electric Livery to add to the confusion.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Hopefully just standard livery and pink branded front for the 9/9A.

Aberdeen’s Hydrogen deckers are in standard livery with Hydrogen mentioned around the side so I imagine a similar thing will be done with the E200s.

sannox

Still a Scotstoun route, wonder if drivers will move over? Some ex Larky drivers will be familiar with the 9 as Larkfield did do shorts for a short spell.

It's probably one of the simpler routes in Glasgow too. It's no 90!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Obviously this is First Scotland East livery so it has different colouring.

Is this standard livery?

Image below of a First Bus in urban livery in First Scotland colours.
Yes that's the "standard" livery for First Scotland East, but not Glasgow. They're different operations so unrelated.

PaulMc7

Established Member
It's probably one of the simpler routes in Glasgow too. It's no 90!
Seen a guy I went to school with driving a couple of times within 2/3 weeks before. On a 6 the first time then a 90 the second. Felt for him having to remember them both

route101

Established Member
I noticed the next 18 was a low height e400 so two caley runs in a row!

8 would be a hard route!

Seen a guy I went to school with driving a couple of times within 2/3 weeks before. On a 6 the first time then a 90 the second. Felt for him having to remember them both

Scotstoun don't have as many routes as Caledonian Depot I think.

Not sure if ex Parkhead drivers are expecting to learn ex Larkfield depot routes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I noticed the next 18 was a low height e400 so two caley runs in a row!

8 would be a hard route!
The 8 must be one of the worst to learn and remember because of the length and how little of the route is in a straight line. Any of the longer routes would be tougher I'd imagine

Noticed the ex airport e400citys are on ex Cumbernauld routes.
I've been out for a while and there are 2 out just now, but there are a few more in the depot in standard fleet livery as well. I believe they need to go to Livingston DVSA and have a few checks done, so they should hit the road fairly soon.

Noticed Y344 XBN Scania trainer is in Caley as well, probably seeing out it's days here until the ex Diamond bus loanees are all kitted out in trainer spec

Last edited by a moderator:

route101

Established Member
Been out for a while there's 2 out just now but there's a few more in the depot in standard fleet livery as well believe they need to go to Livingston DVSA and have a few checks done so should hit the road fairly soon.

Noticed Y344 XBN Scanny trainer is in Caley as well, probably seeing out it's days here until the ex Diamond bus loanees are all kitted out in trainer spec

Will be interesting to see how long these airport buses stay on these routes.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Seen pictures of them on the 88,89 and X3 so far. Never been on one of them before but they do look like pretty good buses to use as a passenger