• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

route101

Established Member
Seen pictures of them on the 88,89 and X3 so far. Never been on one of them before but they do look like pretty good buses to use as a passenger
Been on them a couple of times, try and use public transport if coming back from airport as taxi is £30. I usually travel by myself. But late at night its taxi.

I think they suit dark colours like blue, green or black, never been on a normal specification one, though you see fair few down south.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Been on them a couple of times, try and use public transport if coming back from airport as taxi is £30. I usually travel by myself. But late at night its taxi.

I think they suit dark colours like blue, green or black, never been on a normal specification one, though you see fair few down south.
The spec is practically the same just doesn't have tables and the luggage racks have been replaced with more seats and it's the same Glasgow Airport embroidered seats as well.

route101

Established Member
The spec is practically the same just doesn't have tables and the luggage racks have been replaced with more seats and it's the same Glasgow Airport embroidered seats as well.
Yes, I have seen e400citys with normal seats down south. They're still the only examples in Scotland.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rgy88

X3 and 88 were routes I seen them on, so depends if First No 1 get their hands on one.
I can't imagine they'll be visiting castlemilk on my local routes the 5 or 75
That shape of bus would have looked beyond minted in either 3 of those heritage colours

lastbus

It's all one fleet now anyway so anything can be used on any route if required.
I'm not sure about that as the buses on NO1 routes should be running on NO1 ops discs and the NO2 routes on the NO2 discs. Drivers should be checking the bus has the correct ops disc as part of their walk round check. Yes any vehicle can be used but it should have the correct ops disc for the operating company.

cnjb8

Established Member
Aye I think the majority of E400City's are Gas Scanias down south as well, probably a nicer drive.
Not really, I'd say it's about half gas and half diesel or hybrid here in England. I believe that Dundee is recieving some E400EVs with a City body though

Jordan Adam

Established Member

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Been on a few of the e400 City vehicles that are operated by First West of England on both city and inter-urban services in North Bristol.

They are certainly quieter, and the seats are reasonable (blue & green moquette) so not bad. However, and I think it might be exacerbated by the lack of handrails/stanchions in the top deck, they do make all sorts of squeaks and creaks and more than the equivalent standard e400mmc. That might be because the engine noise doesn't disguise it as much but I don't know.

Should First Glasgow decide to go for alternative power (e.g. EV or gas) for the next batches, fair enough? If it's another slew of diesels in 2022, then I'm not seeing why they'd go for something other than mmc's.

route101

Established Member
Wouldn't mind seeing some cities on normal routes. I suppose they would want to keep the fleet uniform with MMCs

experts

Been on a few of the e400 City vehicles that are operated by First West of England on both city and inter-urban services in North Bristol.

They are certainly quieter, and the seats are reasonable (blue & green moquette) so not bad. However, and I think it might be exacerbated by the lack of handrails/stanchions in the top deck, they do make all sorts of squeaks and creaks and more than the equivalent standard e400mmc. That might be because the engine noise doesn't disguise it as much but I don't know.

Should First Glasgow decide to go for alternative power (e.g. EV or gas) for the next batches, fair enough? If it's another slew of diesels in 2022, then I'm not seeing why they'd go for something other than mmc's.
no more diesels for First Glasgow. All alternative fuels to come.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The E400City design would add some variety to Glasgow. It’ll be interesting to see what buses we start to get once they stop ordering diesels. I wonder if we’ll see Hydrogen Streetdecks like Aberdeen.

cnjb8

Established Member
The E400City design would add some variety to Glasgow. It’ll be interesting to see what buses we start to get once they stop ordering diesels. I wonder if we’ll see Hydrogen Streetdecks like Aberdeen.
Erm, the variety is there, they do already have E400City buses

route101

Established Member
I saw one of the ex-airport E400Citys being towed out of Buchannan Bus Station yesterday.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Noticed a few B9TLs heading North on the M73 the last couple of week. One today was being towed and the others travelled by themselves. Unusual to see First buses in that direction especially B9TLs does anyone know if they’re going for conversion?

route101

Established Member
Noticed a few B9TLs heading North on the M73 the last couple of week. One today was being towed and the others travelled by themselves. Unusual to see First buses in that direction especially B9TLs does anyone know if they’re going for conversion?
Perhaps to Cummins plant near Cumbernauld?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Perhaps to Cummins plant near Cumbernauld?

I very highly doubt Volvo B9TLs are going to the Cummins plant! If they need engine work they'll either go to Volvo, Renault Trucks (Subsidiary of Volvo) or another external contractor. Given they've been spotted on the M73 it'll likely be Atlas Engines in Bonnybridge who First regularly send vehicles to for major engine work.

lastbus

Off to Larbert for Euro 6 upgrades.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Thank you! I had an idea it may be this. Interesting they’re converting their B9TLs I genuinely thought they wouldn’t have bothered doing them.

Thank you! I had an idea it may be this. Interesting they’re converting their B9TLs I genuinely thought they wouldn’t have bothered doing them.
They're going to need them due to the pandemic. Money won't be flowing like it normally is in the company.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Even before the pandemic, we knew the B9s would need converting. They probably have another 5/6 years life in them.

Did you mean B7TLs? There are c.110 B7TLs (and Tridents) and along with the B7RLEs, their replacement will be the priority and so the B9s will be around for a while longer.

route101

Established Member
The B9TLs are still pretty new to me. The oldest ones will be 07 plates and the youngest 09. The B7TLS feel solid and have a few years left in them too. Hopefully we'll get a decker order.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
The refurbished B9TLs look as good as new but the oldest ones are now 14 years old and if kept for 5/6 more years will be 19/20 years old by the time they are withdrawn. I wasn’t sure whether First would bother. I understand there are younger Geminis too though.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The refurbished B9TLs look as good as new but the oldest ones are now 14 years old and if kept for 5/6 more years will be 19/20 years old by the time they are withdrawn. I wasn’t sure whether First would bother. I understand there are younger Geminis too though.
Deckers have typically been worked to an economic life of 17 years and usually longer. That vehicles have to work to 19/20 is going to be the case going forward; already First are repainting 02 plate Tridents in Norwich. Covid has obviously impacted travel patterns and new vehicle orders so we will have to see what the network ends up looking like and if a number of non-compliant vehicles will simply go as a consequence of post-Covid service rationalisation.

route101

Established Member
When you look at the Ailsas and Atlanteans , they nearly made 25 years in service. It seems to have decreased now; theoldest bus is nearly 19 years old in the First Glasgow fleet.

scosutsut

When you look at the Ailsas and Atlanteans , they nearly made 25 years in service. It seems to have decreased now; theoldest bus is nearly 19 years old in the First Glasgow fleet.
I'd say they don't make them like they used to but PSVAR then emissions and date I say customer expectations have all been factors in reducing lifecycles.