• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
75 is a service that does well, busy quite often during the day. Helped by demographic and no rail link to Castlemilk.

Renfield St roadworks causing chaos today, buses bunching up.

77 is frequent and that helps usage.
Prior to the QEUH opening it’s odd to think that the 77 was the 747 and was a much less frequent service. It used B7TLs and they’d full to the brim.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Prior to the QEUH opening it’s odd to think that the 77 was the 747 and was a much less frequent service. It used B7TLs and they’d full to the brim.
It started as the Braehead Bullet between Partick and Braehead. Then I think it got extended to the airport and to Botanic Gardens.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I vaguely remember that 747 to be quite honest and don't think I used it too much unless it was into Partick from the City Centre. Did it not have a completely different route after the Clyde Tunnel too compared to the 77? I also remember the old 189 between Govan and Partick too as it used to be handy for me when I went to college in Paisley as I could connect with it using different buses to avoid the City Centre

route101

Established Member
I vaguely remember that 747 to be quite honest and don't think I used it too much unless it was into Partick from the City Centre. Did it not have a completely different route after the Clyde Tunnel too compared to the 77? I also remember the old 189 between Govan and Partick too as it used to be handy for me when I went to college in Paisley as I could connect with it using different buses to avoid the City Centre
There was the 757 too, maybe you are thinking of that. Went via the SECC.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
See below the route map for the 747/757 from 2008. Each service operated half hourly.
upload_2019-2-3_17-27-31-png.58694

PaulMc7

Established Member
I knew about the 757. I think it was later on around 2012/13 I'm thinking of. I can vaguely remember seeing a 747 going along Shieldhall Road after Craigton Road a couple of times when I got the McGill's 26 to college in Paisley

route101

Established Member
I knew about the 757. I think it was later on around 2012/13 I'm thinking of. I can vaguely remember seeing a 747 going along Shieldhall Road after Craigton Road a couple of times when I got the McGill's 26 to college in Paisley
Must of been on diversion.

77 is useful for hospital and Braehead. Only once used the 747 to the airport, when I had time to spare.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I've always found the 709 and 765 to be interesting services to be honest and I've never used them. Would they work as services with more than one journey a day? I feel like if they also went into Braehead too instead of by passing it they could be usable. I know it would make Braehead easier for me as the 709 would literally be perfect for me going to Braehead instead of having to swap to a 77 from a 2 at Thornwood.

I don't know if there's anything that could be done with the 9A at Penilee to make that work even if the 709 and 765 were say 1 an hour all day.

Edirim

Always wondered about the 765 – never seen it in the flesh.

Any idea which depot does it and what the bus does next?
It goes to Caledonia and then it turns into a 61. Scotstoun do the 709 which goes onto a 9/9a or 90, I think.

smtglasgow

Thanks. Guessed it would have originally been a Parkhead run, but would never have thought of it going on to the 61. Think the 765 goes back years. I’m sure I saw a GGPTE timetable for it on Ebay a few years ago – a real survivor.

Nawm8

Trying to find out what services run out of Overtown. Have searched the forum but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

DC21

Trying to find out what services run out of Overtown. Have searched the forum but haven't had much luck. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
240, 241, 242, 254, 355, 93, 210, 266. I think there some runs for the 263/267 at nights and one peak x11 from Glasgow

Thanks. Guessed it would have originally been a Parkhead run, but would never have thought of it going on to the 61. Think the 765 goes back years. I’m sure I saw a GGPTE timetable for it on Ebay a few years ago – a real survivor.

The 765 is the last remaining remnant of the original 65 service. This comes from an early timetable book of the GGPTE in the 1970s...

thumbnail (2).jpe

route101

Established Member
Always wondered about the 765 – never seen it in the flesh.

Any idea which depot does it and what the bus does next?
I saw it at Gorbals cross not long ago. Actually had a few passengers on it. Totally forgot about the service.

Last edited by a moderator:

lastbus

93, 210, 240, 241, 242, 244, 251, 254, 266, 355 and some evening journeys on the 255, 263 and 267. Last X11 from Glasgow Monday to Saturday as well.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I saw it at Gorbals cross not long ago. Actually had a few passengers on it. Totally forgot about the service.
I've been looking at both the 709 and 765 on the app since I've been awake through the night for the last 2 days and the 765 seems to have 15/16 passengers each time when it gets to IKEA. The 709 seems to be more quiet though.

Always wondered if people don't use them because they're so rare and not particularly well known.

duffers2324

I believe both services are seen as "Works" services so therefore not really meant to be known to the general public but obviously people can and obviously do use them if they know about them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wonder if both services would be used by more people if everyone was aware of them. Given that they both cover the top of the Queen Elizabeth hospital and there's so many businesses in Hillington I'd imagine some awareness might pick up at the very least 3/4 extra passengers.

I also wonder if they'd work later in the morning peak and also in the evening peak. Clyde Tunnel traffic would be an issue for the 709 though in terms of reliability and around Springfield Quay and the Gorbals could be tough for the 765's reliability too.

I also wonder if there's any different routes that could be created that would be well used. Hard to judge that type of thing with Covid still around but with changing working patterns I'm sure some new routes could work where existing ones might suffer.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I wonder if both services would be used by more people if everyone was aware of them. Given that they both cover the top of the Queen Elizabeth hospital and there's so many businesses in Hillington I'd imagine some awareness might pick up at the very least 3/4 extra passengers.

I also wonder if they'd work later in the morning peak and also in the evening peak. Clyde Tunnel traffic would be an issue for the 709 though in terms of reliability and around Springfield Quay and the Gorbals could be tough for the 765's reliability too.

I also wonder if there's any different routes that could be created that would be well used. Hard to judge that type of thing with Covid still around but with changing working patterns I'm sure some new routes could work where existing ones might suffer.
They're workers services so there would not be any need or demand for a service later in the morning, in the evening most people do not go directly home but may go via the city centre to collect shopping etc.

Not to mention the times people finish work would mean that running a service in the afternoon likely isn't doable without a PVR increase as most other services are still on full frequency, whereas in the early morning it's fairly easy to just add one extra journey to the start of a duty.

Bus Lightyear

The 765 in certain sections was similar to the old 65 which was gradually cut away before being withdrawn in 1993 or 94 perhaps. In today's climate unfortunately, there's absolutely no requirement to run it during the day as it overlaps with various other routes.

At one time there were several works services to Hillington Estate, Scotstoun West, Blindcraft in Springburn and College Milton in East Kilbride but Strathclyde's Buses then First started to withdraw them circa 25 years ago. I have a recollection of service numbers 741, 768 and 770.

The 765 is the last remaining remnant of the original 65 service. This comes from an early timetable book of the GGPTE in the 1970s...

View attachment 99372
These publications bring back good memories. In later years it was extended from Bridgeton to Mosspark via Gorbals and Paisley Road Toll (I think).

PaulMc7

Established Member
They're workers services so there would not be any need or demand for a service later in the morning, in the evening most people do not go directly home but may go via the city centre to collect shopping etc.

Not to mention the times people finish work would mean that running a service in the afternoon likely isn't doable without a PVR increase as most other services are still on full frequency, whereas in the early morning it's fairly easy to just add one extra journey to the start of a duty.
With the 9/9A especially, their frequency begins to drop off a bit earlier than most services plus with them being at Penilee or Paisley that would feed into adding them on pretty well. They both drop from every 10 mins just after 3pm.

I don't know if they go onto anything else but they do drop off very early from Paisley/Penilee

route101

Established Member
I recall the 166 which served Kelvin industrial estate in East Kilbride. Near me there is still a bus stop in College Milton displaying a 166 timetable. Reminds me of these depot runs that were numbered. Not sure I could rely on one to run every day.