• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Scotland East (Midland Bluebird and West Lothian operations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Surly Both? neither companies PVR is back to where it was pre covid, especial with LCB which has discussed that there PVR is well done like missing section of X17 and all of the X38 and EX2. IF the drivers are not furlough then well have they been sacked? if its neither of those two what on earth is company doing with the drivers?

Wrong on both counts. Unless you know more than me? (FSE was recently recruiting by the way). Nobody on furlough at LCB either. Sorry this doesn't match up with your alternate reality. 281, 276, Amazon contracts etc etc....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Wrong on both counts. Unless you know more than me? (FSE was recently recruiting by the way). Nobody on furlough at LCB either. Sorry this doesn't match up with your alternate reality. 281, 276, Amazon contracts etc etc....

Still does not add up. unless you saying ALL the spare drivers are doing Amazon contracts from the Ex2 and X38 driver rotas. As I said missing half of X17 so that doesn't mean 276, I never included that, plus I never said 281 because the 280 used to be every 20mins that now party been covered.

Those contracts are coming to an end around now, so then what?

If LCB isnt furlough staff then Lothian has.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The FSE PVR, if I have worked things out correctly, is higher than pre-covid. Not by much, but it is.

The argument about furlough makes no sense, companies would have wanted drivers off furlough long before it was supposed to end at the end of October too!

Surely Both? neither companies PVR is back to where it was pre covid, especial with LCB which has discussed that there PVR is well done like missing section of X17 and all of the X38 and EX2. IF the drivers are not furlough then well have they been sacked? if its neither of those two what on earth is company doing with the drivers?
I suppose the question is for bus companies running public routes who is really paying the drivers' wages? I can't imagine there's much income from passengers. If expenses like wages are coming from the government they're as well to pay for drivers to be doing something vaguely useful (so long as the bus is covid-safe) rather than sitting at home.
I don't expect there's much in the way of overtime on offer and maybe that's how some extra journeys were resourced.
Also, it's a long time since I heard of any bus company having an excess of public-facing drivers. Both First and Lothian seem to have almost permanent recruitment campaigns. Could be different now of course.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Still does not add up. unless you saying ALL the spare drivers are doing Amazon contracts from the Ex2 and X38 driver rotas. As I said missing half of X17 so that doesn't mean 276, I never included that, plus I never said 281 because the 280 used to be every 20mins that now party been covered.

Those contracts are coming to an end around now, so then what?

If LCB isnt furlough staff then Lothian has.

No drivers furloughed at any Lothian garage? Why must they be - your say so?

overthewater

Established Member
The FSE PVR, if I have worked things out correctly, is higher than pre-covid. Not by much, but it is.

The argument about furlough makes no sense, companies would have wanted drivers off furlough long before it was supposed to end at the end of October too!

Even with small increase in Bluebird, It either cost neutral overall or still lower, since Unibus has been cut back and 600 isn't back fully either

I suppose the question is for bus companies running public routes who is really paying the drivers' wages? I can't imagine there's much income from passengers. If expenses like wages are coming from the government they're as well to pay for drivers to be doing something vaguely useful (so long as the bus is covid-safe) rather than sitting at home.
I don't expect there's much in the way of overtime on offer and maybe that's how some extra journeys were resourced.
Also, it's a long time since I heard of any bus company having an excess of public-facing drivers. Both First and Lothian seem to have almost permanent recruitment campaigns. Could be different now of course.

Tech the Scottish goverment is underwriting the current network but remember the network is lower overall at the moment. You can only ran so many buses.

Tour drivers? Coach drivers at Lothian Motor coach, they can't sitting around doing nothing, The amazon work was suppose to partly help them.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Even with small increase in Bluebird, It either cost neutral overall or still lower, since Unibus has been cut back and 600 isn't back fully either

Tech the Scottish goverment is underwriting the current network but remember the network is lower overall at the moment. You can only ran so many buses.

Tour drivers? Coach drivers at Lothian Motor coach, they can't sitting around doing nothing, The amazon work was suppose to partly help them.

I've seen tour drivers on ECB routes, Motorcoach drivers offered transfers to service work etc. Plenty of work to go around but not much in the way of overtime. It's almost as if you want people to lose their jobs just because you don't 'like' certain companies?

overthewater

Established Member
Oh what horrid comment that is, by that logic I wouldn't want anyone to be furloughed but to be sacked instead. I asked what the drivers are doing or being furloughed, In my books would mean I would hope there still in work or if there isn't nothing to do, then there in that scheme keeps them safe.

###########################

Turning back to the PRV for FSE, It been pointed out I've forgetting about the Tender wins at Livingston for route 20/63/68. I can put my hands up say I totally forget First won those tenders, so even with the cuts else where etc it would be rather close call if there was increase or stagnant

Last edited:

mb88

Oh what horrid comment that is, by that logic I wouldn't want anyone to be furloughed but to be sacked instead. I asked what the drivers are doing or being furloughed, In my books would mean I would hope there still in work or if there isn't nothing to do, then there in that scheme keeps them safe.

In that case, why can't you just accept the answer given to you by someone more in the know than you? I can tell you without a doubt there are no drivers at Livingston still on furlough. The shortfall left by the EX2 and X38 has been balanced out by the amazon contract and 281. Come the end of the amazon contract, I'd imagine we will see a reduction in the average length of duties.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Okay, okay. Let's not get into an argument about this. This thread has been relatively peaceful of late, and I'd rather keep it that way :)

JurassicMan

No drivers are Furloughed in FSEat present,

I'd imagine as companies have a deal and funding to run current services until March they will continue to operate unless told otherwise by Scottish Government

Waste of time / money imo. They should've branded a few of them for the X24/X25 which far more warrant decker capacity, especially now that the X17 and X38 are off and kept a few unbranded so they could be used on other routes if needed. Branding them all for the 600 was a poor move by First.
It will become clear in time why the branding has continued on the 600 route , until Covid is sorted though everything is pretty much stagnating.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
No drivers are Furloughed in FSEat present,

I'd imagine as companies have a deal and funding to run current services until March they will continue to operate unless told otherwise by Scottish Government

It will become clear in time why the branding has continued on the 600 route , until Covid is sorted though everything is pretty much stagnating.

That's good to hear, glad all of our jobs are safe no matter what colour the buses are we drive!

Volvodart

Established Member
It is covered here, although the dates may have slipped again because of COVID:-

Observer

Services in Stirling getting reduced.

First Bus is reducing services out of its Bannockburn depot after a number of staff members tested positive for coronavirus.

The operator said it was reviewing its timetable to ease the pressure on staff workload following the outbreak.

As well as the positive cases, workers flagged up as close contacts have been forced to self-isolate.

First Bus said it had taken all necessary steps to minimise the risk of a spread of the infection.

A company spokesman said: "We are no different to any other business across the country as the global pandemic has once again seen a general spike in cases in recent weeks.

"We are reviewing our services to prioritise key worker journeys whilst easing the pressure on the remaining staff's workload.

"We would like to assure the public that travelling on our buses is safe and we have a number of safety measures and enhanced cleans in place."

First Bus said the positive cases had been reported to NHS Forth Valley Public Health as part of its Covid protocols.

The spokesman added: "The safety of our staff and customers is our number one priority.

"All of our depots are Covid-safe sites and the necessary mitigations and procedures are in place as per the latest Scottish government advice and in line with the NHS Scotland Test and Protect tracking system, which we have actively promoted to our team to download.

Services not listed will continue to operate their current timetable.

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-ea...ws-and-service-updates/forthcoming-timetables

ServiceTimetable Detail of change
1Click to view timetableMinor timetable adjustments.
X36Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with additional trips:
0657 (ex Stirling to Glasgow)
0845 (ex Mollinsburn) will commence in Glasgow at 0825.
51Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with additional trips:
  • 0721 (ex Alloa to Stirling)
  • 0750 (ex Stirling to Alloa).
52Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with revised/additional trips:
  • 0720 (ex Alloa service commencing at Manor Powis at 0706)
  • 0743 (ex Menstrie service will commence in Stirling at 0725)0625 (ex Stirling to Alloa) will operate an additional trip.
54Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with additional trips:
  • 0800 (ex Stirling Uni to Stirling City Centre)
  • 0730 (ex Stirling City Centre to Stirling Uni)
57Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with additional trips:
  • 0800 & 0900 (ex Raploch to St Ninians)
  • 0834 (ex St. Ninians to Raploch)
  • 0749 (ex Stirling to Raploch)
59Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with additional trips:
  • 0747 (ex Callander to Stirling)
  • 0657 (ex Stirling to Callander)
ULClick to view timetableA Sunday service will operate.
School Services:
194, 618, 619, 651, 652
No timetablesServices suspended.

https://www.firstgroup.com/south-ea...ws-and-service-updates/forthcoming-timetables

52Click to view timetableA Sunday service will operate with revised/additional trips:
  • 0743 (ex Menstrie service will commence in Stirling at 0725)0625 (ex Stirling to Alloa) will operate an additional trip.
School Services:
194, 618, 619, 651, 652
I'm surprised that their West Lothian services haven't been reduced yet seeing as Covid-19 is bad here.

I think we may see a decrease in services over the next couple weeks though.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member

School Services:
194, 618, 619, 651, 652
This has now been brought forward to Friday 22nd instead of Sunday 24th.
I'm surprised that their West Lothian services haven't been reduced yet seeing as Covid-19 is bad here.
It's due to a specific covid-outbreak at the depot, not just because transmission is generally high. A large proportion of drivers are either self isolating due to testing positive, or have had close contact with a positive case.

JurassicMan

I think we may see a decrease in services over the next couple weeks though.
There have been no positive cases within Livingston as yet, so different situation to the one currently being experienced in Bannockburn Depot.

You would imagine any reductions in services will depend on how transport Scotland go with further funding after March and how the Scottish Government view peoples movements,will they copy Department for Transport(DfT) in England by asking for operators to provide the minimum level of service necessary to support essential journeys safely OR will they continue to fund the current levels of service?

overthewater

Established Member
There have been no positive cases within Livingston as yet, so different situation to the one currently being experienced in Bannockburn Depot.

You would imagine any reductions in services will depend on how transport Scotland go with further funding after March and how the Scottish Government view peoples movements,will they copy Department for Transport(DfT) in England by asking for operators to provide the minimum level of service necessary to support essential journeys safely OR will they continue to fund the current levels of service?

If the school go back in Feb the full or there near enough full network will most likley be kept on.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Just saw 36024 SN05HWD on the X22 (I think, not too familiar with their routes) on Calder Road in Edinburgh a few minutes ago. Is this on loan or a permanent transfer?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just saw 36024 SN05HWD on the X22 (I think, not too familiar with their routes) on Calder Road in Edinburgh a few minutes ago. Is this on loan or a permanent transfer?
That'll be 36023 which is just passing Haymarket at the time of posting on the X23. Presumably it'll be on loan surplus to requirements due to the PVR (Peak Vehicle Requirement) reductions at Bannockburn.

36024 is currently passing through Tillicoultry on a X53 from Kinross to Stirling.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
That'll be 36023 which is just passing Haymarket at the time of posting on the X23. Presumably it'll be on loan surplus to requirements due to the PVR (Peak Vehicle Requirement) reductions at Bannockburn.

36024 is currently passing through Tillicoultry on a X53 from Kinross to Stirling.

Ah, only got the reg number as I was driving at the time and Google obviously failed me with the fleet number!

Is it still in the Livingston depot today?

(36023)

Status
Not open for further replies.