• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
They can be deregistered from VOSA then operated as 'closed contracts'. This also means they're not subject to the same vehicle requirements.
If they carry passengers at separate fares then they can't be deregistered unless:
- the service is organised by someone other than the operator (eg a School or authority responsible for the school)
- the service is not advertised in advance to the general public
- all passengers travel to or from the same location
- the same fare is paid irrespective of distance travelled.

I doubt if all those criteria are satisfied and all of them have to be satisfied in order for the service not to be registered.

It's DVSA. VOSA was replaced in 2014.

Last edited:

On the Buses

There is provision in the current emergency powers enacted by the Senior Traffic Commissioner to amend registrations (removing a journey only requires an amendment not a de registration) at very short notice, in consultation with the relevant local authority
The removal of a journey and the operation of it as a ‘closed’ service is permissible, either in place of the public journey or in addition as a duplicate.

Wessexbuses

32525 that's due for Kernow has turned up at Weymouth depot this afternoon on a tow truck
The tow truck has dropped it off and is now taking 37584 for scrap I believe

Goldfish62

Established Member
There is provision in the current emergency powers enacted by the Senior Traffic Commissioner to amend registrations (removing a journey only requires an amendment not a de registration) at very short notice, in consultation with the relevant local authority
The removal of a journey and the operation of it as a ‘closed’ service is permissible, either in place of the public journey or in addition as a duplicate.
Thanks for the clarification on the arrangements and I stand corrected. Makes perfect sense in the current circumstances.

On the Buses

32525 that's due for Kernow has turned up at Weymouth depot this afternoon on a tow truck

The other one will land in Taunton hitching a lift on the truck removing 67707

Thanks for the clarification on the arrangements and I stand corrected. Makes perfect sense in the current circumstances.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The other one will land in Taunton hitching a lift on the truck removing 67707
67707 is to meet its maker, as it were.
What happened to 37584? Was that a fire victim?

MarkC

Indeed, what the position will be post-Covid will be a challenge for the whole industry, though the amount of additional vehicles that FK has had to get in for additional schools is greater than most. How revised PVRs impact group wide fleet moves and vehicle replacement is anyone's guess.

Also, I'm sure the success in obtaining contract and events work is a significant component of Vision 2020.

Oh, and of course, the much rumoured (by posters on Plymothian Transit) return of First to Plymouth reacquiring the Stagecoach operations.... Graham does a good job on there but some of the contributions by people in comments section :rolleyes:
There is something going on I think as First are now advertising full time permanent bus driver jobs based at UK bus Plymouth starting early 2021. I note jobs advertised locally at Winkleigh state college routes where as Plymouth states driving variety of routes permanently! Jobs based at The Ride by the way

Beemax

67707 is to meet its maker, as it were.

What happened to 37584? Was that a fire victim?
Yes https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18519541.road-closed-coach-bursts-flames/ Claimed to be a coach but actually a Jurassic coaster
FIREFIGHTERS rushed to the scene after a coach burst into flames.

The B3157 coast road, near Chickerell, was closed as crews from Weymouth and Bridport tackled the blaze just after 6pm last night.

A spokesman for Weymouth Fire Station said: "Weymouth Blue Watch, an on-call crew, and an on-call water carrier from Bridport Fire Station were mobilised to a coach on fire on the B3157 near Chickerell.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Buses

There is something going on I think as First are now advertising full time permanent bus driver jobs based at UK bus Plymouth starting early 2021. I note jobs advertised locally at Winkleigh state college routes where as Plymouth states driving variety of routes permanently! Jobs based at The Ride by the way

No there’s not.

MarkC

Presumably an error with the map pin location showing the job location as The Ride?
To be honest that was not my point. My point is there are 2 jobs showing at the ride, one for UK Bus Cornwall probably an error with map showing old location of FDC however all jobs listed are also listed in Camborne, Falmouth etc. The other job states UK bus Plymouth and states driving for our Plymouth UK bus team.. They do not currently have a Plymouth network and already have staff fir their education contracts so what exactly will these new qualified drivers be driving? Also note interviews are on 6th Jan only and must be qualified but will be trained on routes and ticket machines etc

On the Buses

To be honest that was not my point. My point is there are 2 jobs showing at the ride, one for UK Bus Cornwall probably an error with map showing old location of FDC however all jobs listed are also listed in Camborne, Falmouth etc. The other job states UK bus Plymouth and states driving for our Plymouth UK bus team.. They do not currently have a Plymouth network and already have staff fir their education contracts so what exactly will these new qualified drivers be driving? Also note interviews are on 6th Jan only and must be qualified but will be trained on routes and ticket machines etc

Whatever your point is the Plymouth job/s are for the current operation in terms of work content.

MarkC

Does it not refer to Lee Moor near Plymouth?
All they run from there is a few college contracts .... like the ad for Winkleigh in mid Devon The vacancy there states college contract 175 days per year only and 6 month contract....The Plymouth ad states driving for First UK bus Plymouth operations permanent, full time , 39 hours per week They recruited for college contracts in Plymouth last summer and stated term time and part time only with no actual base in Plymouth

On the Buses

All they run from there is a few college contracts .... like the ad for Winkleigh in mid Devon The vacancy there states college contract 175 days per year only and 6 month contract....The Plymouth ad states driving for First UK bus Plymouth operations permanent, full time , 39 hours per week They recruited for college contracts in Plymouth last summer and stated term time and part time only with no actual base in Plymouth

Lee Moor is the Plymouth depot. The drivers are employed on 39 hrs per week.
6 months is the current probationary period across first
As I said, nothing ‘going on’.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Indeed they are. Streetlites next

The enlarged fleet is needed for two reasons.
1. The 30 MMCs are still at SPS pending an order for new deckers
2. Although some contracts are not operating due to Covid, there is a much greater number of duplicates required to provide extra capacity for scholars in the main network, for the University and for Truro College.
Wonder who is supposed to be getting the new deckers? SPS or First? If for First then I wonder what routes. Good to see some fleet investment though.
Dave

richw

Veteran Member
They recruited for college contracts in Plymouth last summer and stated term time and part time only with no actual base in Plymouth
Yes there is a base in Plymouth. I was there yesterday!
also how do you know if any of those college drivers recruited in September have resigned or other wise departed and subsequently require replacing?

Goldfish62

Established Member
It'll be SPS to displace the 30 loaned Enviros
I imagine it'll be dealer stock builds as per previous. SPS is in fact planning expansion in the next couple of years so I would guess that more than 30 extra buses may be required even when social distancing is eliminated.

TechDan2002

What’s going on with the 5 B7RLEs that have appeared on the bustimes fleet list? I’m assuming they have been moved in error