• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

TechDan2002

Thanks, that's the one that was on the A17 earlier in the year.

32350 has arrived at Camborne from the West of England fleet.
Photographed last Friday afternoon at Truro College. I’m currently riding 33143 home with it right behind us

Attachments

• 0E108DC9-F11F-435A-935D-DD3DD409C38E.jpeg
    0E108DC9-F11F-435A-935D-DD3DD409C38E.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 49
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lizard1324

Driving though porthleven today there were transport for Cornwall bus stop "flags" (don't know real name for them) but they don't even offer a bus service through porthleven.
It made me think do Kernow replace there flags as there are a few on the road towards penzance but they are very old and show the first logo

Goldfish62

Established Member
Driving though porthleven today there were transport for Cornwall bus stop "flags" (don't know real name for them) but they don't even offer a bus service through porthleven.
It made me think do Kernow replace there flags as there are a few on the road towards penzance but they are very old and show the first logo
Yes, flag is the correct term.

There are plenty of old "First barbie" flags still around, which don't really create a particularly good "shop window" impression. However, a good few pages ago someone (@richw ?) explained that a couple of years ago the council told FK to stop replacing flags as they were going to take over the work and provide a standardised one for all operators. It would appear that they made a mess of it, hence the current situation.

richw

Veteran Member
Yes, flag is the correct term.

There are plenty of old "First barbie" flags still around, which don't really create a particularly good "shop window" impression. However, a good few pages ago someone (@richw ?) explained that a couple of years ago the council told FK to stop replacing flags as they were going to take over the work and provide a standardised one for all operators. It would appear that they made a mess of it, hence the current situation.
The council/TfC seem to be haphazardly replacing flags with no logic to positioning, or the ones they’ve missed

CornwallBus

It doesnt help when they didnt give the people doing it a ladder, hence why they are lower down the pole! I think it should be a generic bus stop flag, not just showing TfC! I had heard they disposed of FK property in the skip with the ones they took down rather than return it to FK

fgwrich

Established Member
It doesnt help when they didnt give the people doing it a ladder, hence why they are lower down the pole! I think it should be a generic bus stop flag, not just showing TfC! I had heard they disposed of FK property in the skip with the ones they took down rather than return it to FK

I rather find it rather cheeky of CC if they are putting up TfC branded flags instead of FK's on route's TfC / GCB doesn't serve!

Lizard1324

The council/TfC seem to be haphazardly replacing flags with no logic to positioning, or the ones they’ve missed
I rather find it rather cheeky of CC if they are putting up TfC branded flags instead of FK's on route's TfC / GCB doesn't serve!
Thays what I thought why put them in porthleven or areas alike which is only served by the first Kernows U4 so why is there a tfc flag

MB162435

Established Member
Thays what I thought why put them in porthleven or areas alike which is only served by the first Kernows U4 so why is there a tfc flag
TfC do serve Porthleven with their 38 and U4 services, although both are closed door school services for probably as long as social distancing is around

Although who knows what the future holds, they might serve Porthleven frequently one day

Goldfish62

Established Member
Agreed on all that.

The problem, I think, is the way the TfC brand has been implemented by the council. It was supposed to be an overarching brand for all public transport in Cornwall, but instead it's synonymous with one operator.

Lizard1324

There's a TfC U4 school dupe but haven't seen where it starts from.
TfC do serve Porthleven with their 38 and U4 services, although both are closed door school services for probably as long as social distancing is around

Although who knows what the future holds, they might serve Porthleven frequently one day
As far as I'm aware tfc no longer operate and service named u4 the closed door service between Helston and penzance is now called the 2.

Link to timetable:

And according to this as experience it goes around Porthleven.
But you are right there is one bus the 38 which goes to Porthleven one time a day but it is a closed door service so no public can use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201128-095409_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201128-095409_Drive.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
The ALXs recently transferred to Kernow from First Bath are 03 plates so a bit younger than the others sent down in September which were W reg and KP51s.
A couple of the latest transfers are still in very battered Barbie and I wondered if there was any intention to repaint them or perhaps they are only for the short-term?

cnjb8

Established Member
I wonder if they'll replace the Base ALXs.
Apparently West of England are due some Aberdeen B9TLs which if true, should displace some Geminis or ALXs for Kernow if the Base ALXs are still about. But i wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow got the B9TLs instead of West of England

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The ALXs recently transferred to Kernow from First Bath are 03 plates so a bit younger than the others sent down in September which were W reg and KP51s.
A couple of the latest transfers are still in very battered Barbie and I wondered if there was any intention to repaint them or perhaps they are only for the short-term?

They're still 17 years old; I'd be surprised if they got painted.

Apparently West of England are due some Aberdeen B9TLs which if true, should displace some Geminis or ALXs for Kernow if the Base ALXs are still about. But i wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow got the B9TLs instead of West of England

I wondered that but apparently, they are to replace the Tridents that they got back from Dan Shears and are on their last legs.

The mention of Aberdonian B9s was a new one but did come from a reliable source. Either way, whether they head to WoE or Glasgow, it could release some B7TLs for redeployment; mind you, First have also got BASE rental vehicles in Scotland too.

cnjb8

Established Member

I wondered that but apparently, they are to replace the Tridents that they got back from Dan Shears and are on their last legs.

The mention of Aberdonian B9s was a new one but did come from a reliable source. Either way, whether they head to WoE or Glasgow, it could release some B7TLs for redeployment; mind you, First have also got BASE rental vehicles in Scotland too.
That is true. We'll have to wait and see

Goldfish62

Established Member
If they're being taken into the fleet rather than being temporary loans I don't see why they wouldn't be repainted. Some of the Geminis are 16 years old and some of the Tridents were a similar age when repainted.

The two white E200s with BoS haven’t tracked since 20th November so it’s safe to assume they’re away being repainted.

On the Buses

The two white E200s with BoS haven’t tracked since 20th November so it’s safe to assume they’re away being repainted.

Indeed they are. Streetlites next

The enlarged fleet is needed for two reasons.
1. The 30 MMCs are still at SPS pending an order for new deckers
2. Although some contracts are not operating due to Covid, there is a much greater number of duplicates required to provide extra capacity for scholars in the main network, for the University and for Truro College.

Therefore in addition to the 30 MMCs releasing 30 vehicles on their return, others will be released when social distancing ends.

Somerset has considerable duplicates requiring PVR over and above the reduced network PVR.

The 9 Volvos in the process of joining the fleet now are actually to release the 4 Scania single decks back to HDB, to release the ex Leeds Scania Solar to scrap and to release a number of Tridents back to Winkleigh

While some of the latter have failed, the principal reason is because they are low capacity, had destination screens and other First systems removed before the original disposal, so the cascades deal with those issues.

The 5 Scanias being single decks were what was available at the time but there are limited uses for them in Cornwall.

However, none will leave for a few weeks as there is a very large rail job in the coming weeks in Cornwall that is being covered in full (but including an appearance by most of the Bristol Airport MMC fleet)

There is no plan or current identified need to put the ALXs into the permanent Cornwall fleet.

The Geminis will join though.

The 10 Base Volvos and the 3 Ensign E400s remain on hire alongside all the transfers in.

Last edited:

Lizard1324

2. Although some contracts are not operating due to Covid, there is a much greater number of duplicates required to provide extra capacity for scholars in the main network, for the University and for Truro College.

Therefore in addition to the 30 MMCs releasing 30 vehicles on their return, others will be released when social distancing ends.

Somerset has considerable duplicates requiring PVR over and above the reduced network PVR.

The 9 Volvos in the process of joining the fleet now are actually to release the 4 Scania single decks back to HDB, to release the ex Leeds Scania Solar to scrap and to release a number of Tridents back to Winkleigh

While some of the latter have failed, the principal reason is because they are low capacity, had destination screens and other First systems removed before the original disposal, so the cascades deal with those issues.

The 5 Scanias being single decks were what was available at the time but there are limited uses for them in Cornwall.

However, none will leave for a few weeks as there is a very large rail job in the coming weeks in Cornwall that is being covered in full (but including an appearance by most of the Bristol Airport MMC fleet)

There is no plan or current identified need to put the ALXs into the permanent Cornwall fleet.

The 10 Base Volvos and the 3 Ensign E400s remain on hire alongside all the transfers in.
Thanks for the details
Is the rail replacement is question this one:

Buses replace trains between:
St Erth and Penzance (5/6 December only)
Truro and Penzance (7-10 December only)
St Erth and St Ives (7-10 December only)

If so it would be very nice to see the Bristol 400mmc in Cornwall even if its only for a week or so

On the Buses

Thanks for the details
Is the rail replacement is question this one:

Buses replace trains between:
St Erth and Penzance (5/6 December only)
Truro and Penzance (7-10 December only)
St Erth and St Ives (7-10 December only)

If so it would be very nice to see the Bristol 400mmc in Cornwall even if its only for a week or so

Yes

There’s nothing currently scheduled to transfer to SW.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Thank you for that detailed report.

TBF, I'd forgotten (though had seen it) that the Omnicities were returning as well and that was part of the reason for these arrivals, as well as returning some Tridents back to Dan Shears.

Good to see the Bristol Airport vehicles stretching their legs; surprised that they haven't been used by some other OpCos already.

TechDan2002

Thanks Marc for the detailed rundown, greatly appreciated as always :)

On the Buses

Thank you for that detailed report.

TBF, I'd forgotten (though had seen it) that the Omnicities were returning as well and that was part of the reason for these arrivals, as well as returning some Tridents back to Dan Shears.

Good to see the Bristol Airport vehicles stretching their legs; surprised that they haven't been used by some other OpCos already.

I think they’re being worked hard on rail