• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Ancelljb

Sorry - when you said it was becoming reptilian and lateral thinking, it did seem like you were suggesting it was going to be the L4. Clearly not so lateral!
I originally thought the same, but when OTB said there was not going to be an L4 in #14382, realised that was not so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

embers25

Established Member
This is getting like Name That Tune! On the Buses is having so much fun teasing everyone that they've even started replying to their own questions! On a related note, can't wait for all of the new routes.

On the Buses

They can't assuming it's basically the same route at the same frequencies.

In this case the L1 is financially supported by the council so not commercial, not that that makes any difference.

The U4 and 91 are also partly financially supported by the council, so GCB haven't got a complete monopoly on supported p
They can't assuming it's basically the same route at the same frequencies.

In this case the L1 is financially supported by the council so not commercial, not that that makes any difference.

The U4 and 91 are also partly financially supported by the council, so GCB haven't got a complete monopoly on supported services.
FSW has a contract with CC for the Truro Park and Ride, and for school journeys. Of the latter some are incorporated into the network.

83G/84D

Established Member
Three fully marked Gemini's in Day Tripper colours were in use today. 37164 & 37165 were on services 87/91 whilst 37162 was on service 27.

On the Buses

This is getting like Name That Tune! On the Buses is having so much fun teasing everyone that they've even started replying to their own questions! On a related note, can't wait for all of the new routes.

The U routes will gain individual brands and see some changes in September to improve connectivity across Truro.
They will remain numbered U1-4 as they provide a coordinated headway between Falmouth and Penryn Campus.
There are a number of educational flows within the new Lizard network that are supplemented by additional flows. The focus is on connections using Helston as a hub with the Lizard brand being used for the spokes that include the U4 in both directions.
Helston’s FSW fleet has grown as a result of significant School contracts.
The fleet is no longer fuelled or cleaned in Helston with all vehicles having to work through another facility during the day. As a result the number of vehicles covering Lizard workings is increased to allow the inter working with school and college work.

Last edited:

Lizard1324

The U routes will gain individual brands and see some changes in September to improve connectivity across Truro.
They will remain numbered U1-4 as they provide a coordinated headway between Falmouth and Penryn Campus.
There are a number of educational flows within the new Lizard network that are supplemented by additional flows.
the focus is on connections using Helston as a hub with the Lizard nlbrand being used for the spokes that include the U4 in both directions.
Helston’s FSW fleet has grown as a result of significant School contracts
The fleet is no longer fuelled or cleaned in Helston with all vehicles having to work through another facility during the day. As a result the number of vehicles covering Lizard workings in increased to allow the inter working with school and college work.

Thanks for the information.
The individual brands for the U routes will be nice to see, will the brand be based on the location of that route or another reason.

charlie1284

Thanks for the information.
The individual brands for the U routes will be nice to see, will the brand be based on the location of that route or another reason.
My guess is that the brands for U lines will be based off location. For example Porthleven, Marazion for the U4? Possible something like Truro Cathedral for the U1? Not sure what the U2 would include and I doubt the U3 would be individually branded.

MB162435

Established Member
My guess is that the brands for U lines will be based off location. For example Porthleven, Marazion for the U4? Possible something like Truro Cathedral for the U1? Not sure what the U2 would include and I doubt the U3 would be individually branded.
Drug line for the U2 and Penryn Avoider for the U3 maybe

On the Buses

Do try and keep up. U4 is joining the Lizard branded network

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although I can see the reasoning behind the 2's renumbering as the U4, I've never felt the route as a whole justified it, with the Penzance to Helston section always having been the mainstay and the university's presence in Penryn largely having little impact on passenger numbers, certainly until the sensible decision to re-extend it to Falmouth Moor. I can understand why a further renumbering to L4 might be thought unwise at this juncture and would certainly inspire criticism at the western end of the route on the lines of 'why can't they make up their minds?' but, in retrospect, it might be considered more apt. Still, that's a minor observation rather than a criticism and all power to FK's shoulders with their visionary thinking ahead. If only London Transport Executive had had more than a mere iota of that when I was trying to pursue a career there fifty years ago I might have considered it worthwhile staying in the bus industry rather than be an interested (sometimes bemused) observer of it ever since. :)

charlie1284

Although I can see the reasoning behind the 2's renumbering as the U4, I've never felt the route as a whole justified it, with the Penzance to Helston section always having been the mainstay and the university's presence in Penryn largely having little impact on passenger numbers, certainly until the sensible decision to re-extend it to Falmouth Moor. I can understand why a further renumbering to L4 might be thought unwise at this juncture and would certainly inspire criticism at the western end of the route on the lines of 'why can't they make up their minds?' but, in retrospect, it might be considered more apt. Still, that's a minor observation rather than a criticism and all power to FK's shoulders with their visionary thinking ahead. If only London Transport Executive had had more than a mere iota of that when I was trying to pursue a career there fifty years ago I might have considered it worthwhile staying in the bus industry rather than be an interested (sometimes bemused) observer of it ever since. :)
I agree, I guess the advantage of the re-numbering is to 'encourage' people over Penzance way to travel on the L4 over to Helston to connect to buses down to the Lizard.

charlie1284

It’s not being renumbered L4
This is confusing, the U4 will stay numbered U4 yet still join the Lizard network? I would either keep it how it is currently (University branded buses with the 'U' prefix to go with it) or renumber it L4 (Or something else with the 'L' prefix) and use Lizard branded buses. It does not more sense in my opinion to number it U4 (U for University) and then make it part of the Lizard network.

On the Buses

This is confusing, the U4 will stay numbered U4 yet still join the Lizard network? I would either keep it how it is currently (University branded buses with the 'U' prefix to go with it) or renumber it L4 (Or something else with the 'L' prefix) and use Lizard branded buses. It does not more sense in my opinion to number it U4 (U for University) and then make it part of the Lizard network.
Thank you for your advice !
It will form part of the Lizard network with Helston as the hub and will therefore carry full Lizard livery and branding - so quite clearly part of the Lizard network.

Between Falmouth and Penryn it forms part of the combined frequency that serves the University flow. That combined frequency is why it retains the U number.

As I’ve already explained, the U routes are each receiving individual route branding (indeed you’ve already commented on that so have got that point). Clearly therefore, there is no ‘University’ branding

Lizard1324

It will form part of the Lizard network with Helston as the hub and will therefore carry full Lizard livery and branding - so quite clearly part of the Lizard network.

Between Falmouth and Penryn it forms part of the combined frequency that serves the University flow. That combined frequency is why it retains the U number.

As I’ve already explained, the U routes are each receiving individual route branding (indeed you’ve already commented on that so have got that point). Clearly therefore, there is no ‘University’ branding

So the U4 will retain its name but receive Lizard branding so that Helston becomes a hub of Lizard branded buses?

Will the changes of the U4 branding happen this summer or later in the year?

Last edited by a moderator:

On the Buses

So the U4 will retain its name but receive lizard branding so that helston becomes a hub of lizard branded buses.

Will the changes of the U4 branding happen this summer or later in the year
Registered from 16 May. Branding as soon as the vehicles can be repainted in the current programme. Few things in front of them in the queue but only a few weeks away hopefully before Lizards go through.

TechDan2002

Registered from 16 May. Branding as soon as the vehicles can be repainted in the current programme. Few things in front of them in the queue but only a few weeks away hopefully before Lizards go through.
Will the additional Lizard deckers be some of the final Volvo Gemini’s still in Urban livery then?

charlie1284

Ah I understand now, thanks for clearing that up for me!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Public Transport Experience website has a couple of photos of 37164 in fully vinyled Daytripper livery - looks very striking indeed!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not worth creating a separate thread, but there appeared to be some sort of Coach and Bus Running Day based on Penzance today, with the Bus Station used merely as a turning point/for photographic purposes/loo stop for drivers. No passengers were carried, and in the short time I had I saw a couple of Western National VRs, an Eastern National ECW Olympian, a Royal Blue MW, a Bristol lightweight (SC?) in indistinct livery and a beautiful AEC Reliance/Harrington in Hawkey's of Newquay livery. The very-intermittently-used bus bay on the Promenade outside the Jubilee Pool appeared to be the pause point for vehicles in-between runs.