• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Adam Bryant 1

From what I've heard, these changes (except the 349) have been dictated by WECA. Apparently, operators were not allowed to suggest changes to the contracts up for tender and so if they won them, they had to run them exactly as WECA specified. This is apparently why the 17 is getting split.

(WECA = West of England Combined Authority)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

From what I've heard, these changes (except the 349) have been dictated by WECA. Apparently, operators were not allowed to suggest changes to the contracts up for tender and so if they won them, they had to run them exactly as WECA specified. This is apparently why the 17 is getting split.
How sure are you about all this? My understanding was that revisions to the 17 were primarily driven by First WoE’s perennial efforts to make some commercial sense out of the orbital routes around the northern and eastern parts of the conurbation. These have never been big money earners.

carlberry

Established Member
If they are WECA contracts then this will be correct. WECA are the experts and any input from the people who supply the vehicles is likely to be ignored. (This also applies in North Somerset who are outside the WECA but still seen by the Government as the bastion of knowledge on bus related matters).

Citistar

Are the Bath 20a and 20c commercial or tendered?
Tendered, aside from between Bath Uni and Twerton (via Combe Down) on weekdays during University Terms. It was tendered in two halves - 20 Bus Stn - Weston - Twerton (Mon-Sat, all year round) and 23 as above (Mon-Fri, Uni Holidays and Sat, all year round).

West of England Combined Authority's (WECA) contract conditions were clear and confirmed by their procurement person - no variations to contract schedules or conditions, and no double deckers on any tendered service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Tendered, aside from between Bath Uni and Twerton (via Combe Down) on weekdays during University Terms. It was tendered in two halves - 20 Bus Stn - Weston - Twerton (Mon-Sat, all year round) and 23 as above (Mon-Fri, Uni Holidays and Sat, all year round).

WECA's contract conditions were clear and confirmed by their procurement person - no variations to contract schedules or conditions, and no double deckers on any tendered service.
Thanks very much.

83G/84D

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing the old single-decker (OAE954M?) out and about too: it has been a long time since I last saw it. I will keep my eyes open for the LDs though.

Dave

OAE954M is long gone. Now in late NBC/early Badgerline livery in Northamptonshire. Pictures on Flickr.

OAE954M mentioned above appeared at the Buses Festival over the weekend. Photos are available on various social media outlets.

Marcus Fryer

I understand that First WoE have up to 40 vehicles daily dedicated to the Temple Meads blockade next week, with very minimal work allocated to other operators.
Today the Bristol Parkway-Temple Meads route has been predominantly coaches (Arleen, Beeline, Chandlers and Travellers Choice amongst others), with a coach and three deckers at least from Applegates. First West of England (FWE) had two deckers - 37618 and a Bristol Unibus.
I think the Bath-Temple Meads route in contrast was provided by FWE with deckers from Bath depot.

NJ51

Today the Bristol Parkway-Temple Meads route has been predominantly coaches (Arleen, Beeline, Chandlers and Travellers Choice amongst others), with a coach and three deckers at least from Applegates. First West of England (FWE) had two deckers - 37618 and a Bristol Unibus.
I think the Bath-Temple Meads route in contrast was provided by FWE with deckers from Bath depot.
On Sunday the Bristol Temple Meads to Weston-super-Mare stopping services were provided mainly by Bristol Community Transport with Enviro 200s. Yatton station had clear signs showing where the buses should stop, but no-one seems to have told the drivers, some of whom went to the wrong platform. Berry's of Taunton also provided at least one coach. This route has to have single deckers because of the low bridge at Nailsea and Backwell.
First 69253 sat in Yatton station car park as a spare - last WoE bus in Barbie livery
My photos are on flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/neiljennings/51366467585/in/dateposted/
Do the coaches now have to be PVSAR accessible to be used on rail replacement ?

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
Last edited:

aquae39

Just to clarify with my deleted post yesterday.
Most of the Bath blue E400s have now been placed with Bathcity logo and words (serving our great city of Bath).
I know they have been painted blue a few months ago without its logo and words.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I travelled on 36234 BD12TCY from Bath to Bristol on a rail replacement service on Sunday. To say that the seats in this vehicle were tatty is an understatement. People who advocate leather seats on the basis of them being hardwearing do seem to overlook the way in which they tarnish over time. There was a split in one of the covers on the rearward facing seats downstairs, the seats looked particularly shiny, cracking and worn and the thin leather fibres had worn away in various places. Not a great advert for bus travel.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I travelled on 36234 BD12TCY from Bath to Bristol on a rail replacement service on Sunday. To say that the seats in this vehicle were tatty is an understatement. People who advocate leather seats on the basis of them being hardwearing do seem to overlook the way in which they tarnish over time. There was a split in one of the covers on the rearward facing seats downstairs, the seats looked particularly shiny, cracking and worn and the thin leather fibres had worn away in various places. Not a great advert for bus travel.
The eLeather that First specified at that time (basically a plastic coating) has not worn well. The leather as fitted to the 334** e400s shows what can be done when money is spent

freetoview33

Established Member
Sorry I have been quite, I have moved into the world of Transport Campaigning, It has been quite an eye opener so far, about where and who the real problems really are!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Well, you can't just drop a carrot like that and not go any further!
Indeed, you can't. Can't do a mike drop without having a context :lol:

Come on @freetoview33 - are you a member of a political party or a movement, or a charity or a lobbyist? And which transport are you campaigning for - public transport (and if so, which modes), private car use, cycling? Throw a bone

Marcus Fryer

Are First West of England still operating the Island Line replacement buses? 33934/35/40 haven’t tracked for a week.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Are First West of England still operating the Island Line replacement buses? 33934/35/40 haven’t tracked for a week.
Xelabus are now back operating it (I say back, as they’d been operating the emergency one in the run up to the official line closure, when there was the rolling stock shortages). Currently on the island I believe are:
  • 437: G6 XEL
  • 547: J15 XEL
  • 550: J7 XEL
  • 552: L7 XEL
Interestingly, they are also currently operating First Solent’s Queen Alexandra Hospital staff park and ride service, to help out during staff shortages.

Marcus Fryer

Xelabus are now back operating it (I say back, as they’d been operating the emergency one in the run up to the official line closure, when there was the rolling stock shortages). Currently on the island I believe are:
  • 437: G6 XEL
  • 547: J15 XEL
  • 550: J7 XEL
  • 552: L7 XEL
Interestingly, they are also currently operating First Solent’s Queen Alexandra Hospital staff park and ride service, to help out during staff shortages.
Thanks for the update. Was thinking of a trip to the island to see the First West of England vehicles; not sure on Xelabus - depends on how they’re presented. Limited Wightlink ferry service from Portsmouth at present too.

freetoview33

Established Member
There are some new timetables on Traveline and it looks like some big cuts are coming! The X9 going from every 30 to every 90 mins is a highlight. Most services that are changing have cuts, later starts and earlier finishes.

Class 33

Established Member
There are some new timetables on Traveline and it looks like some big cuts are coming! The X9 going from every 30 to every 90 mins is a highlight. Most services that are changing have cuts, later starts and earlier finishes.
These cuts to the x9 are really bad, as well as timetable changes to the x7. I currently work in Nailsea, and these changes are going to inconvenience me. They'll inconvenience and annoy a number of other people too! The frequency has changed from every 30 to every 90 minutes! Why?

NJ51

It will not be a problem soon. I read in the local paper a few weeks ago that North Somerset and West of England Combined Authority are going to provide a fabulous new integrated transport and bus service for the area along the lines of Transport for London!

Citistar

These cuts to the x9 are really bad, as well as timetable changes to the x7. I currently work in Nailsea, and these changes are going to inconvenience me. They'll inconvenience and annoy a number of other people too! The frequency has changed from every 30 to every 90 minutes! Why?
Because the average daytime X9 arrives in Nailsea with two or three on board, takes a similar number around the estate, then departs for Bristol with a similar figure on. First will not keep running empty buses now the subsidy is finishing - this is the effect of the end of CBSSG.

In addition, the DfT has not yet told (any? all?) operators how the replacement recovery scheme will work.

TheLastMinute

Because the average daytime X9 arrives in Nailsea with two or three on board, takes a similar number around the estate, then departs for Bristol with a similar figure on. First will not keep running empty buses now the subsidy is finishing - this is the effect of the end of CBSSG.

In addition, the DfT has not yet told (any? all?) operators how the replacement recovery scheme will work.

Sundays aside, I don't know if I'd call the changes "really bad" when looking at whole picture. Certainly they are bad news for those not in Nailsea town centre or travelling to destinations other than Bristol. But from Link Road on a weekday day, other than between 1117 and 1222, the wait for a for a X7/X8/X9 service to Bristol is not more than 45 minutes. It feels like it could have been worse given how passenger numbers have crashed. I suspect the biggest impact is the loss of a clock face timetable which makes the service less attractive.

If the bus industry Covid finance support is ending, the sad reality is that it's not possible to justify 3.5 buses an hour to Nailsea with less than a handful of people on each.

It will not be a problem soon. I read in the local paper a few weeks ago that North Somerset and West of England Combined Authority are going to provide a fabulous new integrated transport and bus service for the area along the lines of Transport for London!

Let's hope they aren't planning to follow the example of Cornwall Council!

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Yeah yeah heard that before.

The only one I can see in Bristol (so far) is that Service 5 (City Centre - Downend) looses the section of route via. Bromley Heath (Queensholm Drive) with buses now operating direct between Oldbury Court (Long Close) and Downend (The Horseshoe) via. Cleeve Hill. No new timetables for other routes as yet but I wonder if something will be done to cater for passengers in the Queensholm Drive area.

Dave

cnjb8

Established Member
Possibly related to that excel Trident catching fire?