• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Callum15632

Is 35161 coming back to Bristol in 3 weeks and is 37586 going back to Weymouth in 3 weeks or are they permenant ? Do you also know what routes 37586 is going to run on and if its permenant will it get repainted into citylines 75/76?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Private Baxter

Established Member
Is 35161 coming back to Bristol in 3 weeks and is 37586 going back to Weymouth in 3 weeks or are they permenant ? Do you also know what routes 37586 is going to run on and if its permenant will it get repainted into citylines 75/76?
One step at a time. All that has been reported is that there will be a three week swap, in order to trial streetdecks on routes around Weymouth. If successful, First Hants and Dorset (FHD) might look at bringing a batch in at some later stage.

As has been mentioned, 35161 was one of the Streetdecks that was delivered new to Wells depot for the 376. They couldn't cope with the hills and the level of high speed running and I can't see that using them on JC routes will be a good idea.

IMO, they'd be better off getting some of Norwich's 12 plate ex Leeds B9TLs. Then send the Streetdecks to Norwich to update the fleet there in a less demanding geography. Incidentally, 35161 was one of 8 (35160-7) that were destined for Norwich but were swapped for 11 Streetlite Maxes due for Wells.
Spot on the mark as always. I'm not familiar with the Jurassic coast route so can't comment on its gradients, but is something I would like to try at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

baza585

As has been mentioned, 35161 was one of the Streetdecks that was delivered new to Wells depot for the 376. They couldn't cope with the hills and the level of high speed running and I can't see that using them on JC routes will be a good idea.

IMO, they'd be better off getting some of Norwich's 12 plate ex Leeds B9TLs. Then send the Streetdecks to Norwich to update the fleet there in a less demanding geography. Incidentally, 35161 was one of 8 (35160-7) that were destined for Norwich but were swapped for 11 Streetlite Maxes due for Wells.
Agreed. Even Portland had a steep incline which will take it's toll on Streetdecks 5L engine and is far steeper than anything on the 376. Logic suggests Streetdecks to Norwich and 12 plate B9s to Dorset/Hengrove.

My suspicion is that First Hants and Dorset (FHD) want deckers on the Portland route and this is to prove Streetdecks ain't suitable, unless they buy the 6 cylinder version...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
My suspicion is that FHD want deckers on the Portland route and this is to prove Streetdecks ain't suitable, unless they buy the 6 cylinder version...
Possibly but a bit odd when they're busy branding the Streetlite Maxes for Portland? That said, they can be debranded as its standard Wessex livery with a vinyl.

I'd think the 08 Geminis are beginning to show their age. I was surprised when they sent ex Bolton e400s there (rather than B9s) and they need to have something with a bit more grunt for the Jurassic Coast (JC) routes. e400s on Portland might work but, as @baza585 says, it's quite the climb out of Fortuneswell onto the top of Portland.

baza585

Possibly but a bit odd when they're busy branding the Streetlite Maxes for Portland? That said, they can be debranded as its standard Wessex livery with a vinyl.

I'd think the 08 Geminis are beginning to show their age. I was surprised when they sent ex Bolton e400s there (rather than B9s) and they need to have something with a bit more grunt for the JCs. e400s on Portland might work but, as @baza585 says, it's quite the climb out of Fortuneswell onto the top of Portland.
I'd missed that they are branding the 631xx for Portland.

What the Jurassic Coast (JC) routes actually need are newish Scanias with sufficient grunt for Abbotsbury (other steep hills are available in South Dorset).

The ex Bolton E400s haven't been a success on the JC routes and the B9s are soldiering on but as you say showing their age.

Hopefully this trial will steer First in the right direction for the wrong reasons....

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'd missed that they are branding the 631xx for Portland.

What the JC routes actually need are newish Scanias with sufficient grunt for Abbotsbury (other steep hills are available in South Dorset).

The ex Bolton E400s haven't been a success on the JC routes and the B9s are soldiering on but as you say showing their age.

Hopefully this trial will steer First in the right direction for the wrong reasons....
I hadn't heard anything about e400s on the JCs but suspected that they might not quite have the power for Abbotsbury but also for places like Chideock and Lyme (if not also some bits on the A35 near Martinstown) after the TLC of being in Bolton. Don't know what else is out there in First Group other than 2012 B9s (and they're 9 years old now) that would fit the bill, but think Streetdecks can be discounted. I guess the JCs won't stand the cost of new deckers but could do with an upgrade of a standard that will survive the battering; you could say the same (in some respects) for the North Somerset Excels.

Perhaps a deal where Norwich could lose a dozen 2012 B9s to Bristol and Wessex, and receive 6 Streetdecks and the 2008 Geminis in exchange might just suit all parties? I'm not speculating... just an absent thought.

carlberry

Established Member
I hadn't heard anything about e400s on the JCs but suspected that they might not quite have the power for Abbotsbury but also for places like Chideock and Lyme (if not also some bits on the A35 near Martinstown) after the TLC of being in Bolton. Don't know what else is out there in First Group other than 2012 B9s (and they're 9 years old now) that would fit the bill, but think Streetdecks can be discounted. I guess the JCs won't stand the cost of new deckers but could do with an upgrade of a standard that will survive the battering; you could say the same (in some respects) for the North Somerset Excels.

Perhaps a deal where Norwich could lose a dozen 2012 B9s to Bristol and Wessex, and receive 6 Streetdecks and the 2008 Geminis in exchange might just suit all parties? I'm not speculating... just an absent thought.
Again pure speculation however could it be that First might take the Hinkley Point Streetdecks, when they come up for replacement. (I suspect they're on lease however First could get first refusal on them and there might not be as many new deckers kicking about as there used to be for a while).

cnjb8

Established Member
Again pure speculation however could it be that First might take the Hinkley Point Streetdecks, when they come up for replacement. (I suspect they're on lease however First could get first refusal on them and there might not be as many new deckers kicking about as there used to be for a while).
I think some SPS (Somerset Passenger Solutions) E200s are licensed to First South West, but I don’t think the StreetDecks are.
On the First General Discussion thread, there was speculation of a big diesel order before the start of just buying zero emission vehicles

Whiteway215

Established Member
I 've read 66732 is now withdrawn. Is 69253 the last First West of England in Barbie now ?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think 69253 is the only older bodied B7RLE still active (excluding trainers) now. Most of the HE ones don't appear to be out currently.
72/72A looks now to be Streetdeck operated using the vehicles repatriated from Bath in the main. And so the circle is complete as those very vehicles were allocated to that route about 5 years ago!

Flinn Reed

Are First West of England running the rail replacement services in the Bristol area (covering GWR closures)? If so, which vehicles are being used?

Citistar

I understand that First WoE have up to 40 vehicles daily dedicated to the Temple Meads blockade next week, with very minimal work allocated to other operators.

swifty

Established Member
I understand that First WoE have up to 40 vehicles daily dedicated to the Temple Meads blockade next week, with very minimal work allocated to other operators.
Could be interesting next week as they’re apparently providing vehicles for Boardmasters as well.

swifty

Established Member
It’s been revealed on the back page on this weeks “The Week In” that the last day of operation of the 349 by Abus is the 28th August, after over 30 years of service.

It goes on to say “Alan is planning something special for the final day of operation on 28th August and is in the final throes of organising the logistics. We’ll have full details once they are confirmed.”

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It’s been revealed on the back page on this weeks “The Week In” that the last day of operation of the 349 by Abus is the 28th August, after over 30 years of service.

It goes on to say “Alan is planning something special for the final day of operation on 28th August and is in the final throes of organising the logistics. We’ll have full details once they are confirmed.”
I think this is news that we've been expecting for a little while. Here's to Alan enjoying a good retirement - he deserves it.

-Colly405-

Which explains the comment on ABus website

The Abus service A to Ashton Gate for Bristol City FC home matches will not resume for the 21/22 season. A replacement service is being organised and will be publicised when ready.
Service 349 will be changing from 29th August 2021. Full details to follow when they are finalised.
www.abus.co.uk

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Which explains the comment on ABus website

www.abus.co.uk
The R2 is also revised with new academic year.

It'll be sad not to see Abus and the venerable Spectras still working on the Bath Road but Alan is 71 and deserves to take things a bit easier. With Tim Jennings finally retiring and the end of Somerbus (plus James Freeman leaving First too), there's a definite changing of the guard feel about things.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
With the 349 being relinquished by Abus, I'm assuming that this will now be taken on by First in their own right. Perhaps in due course, we might see a renumbering (38?) etc.

Driving around South Bristol today, and swinging past Hengrove and seeing 32292 parked there, it did get me thinking.

Doug Claringbold is new in post, and it's far too soon to draw any conclusions, and we're still in a pandemic (if not quite the middle of it). The winning of the 82A in Radstock plus other tenders could indicate a new approach though it reminds me of First winning the Corsham town service, and that hardly heralded an enhanced presence in Wiltshire. I wonder what plans he has got for his patch?

Some of that will be shaped by "Build Back Better" and whatever partnerships are then formed with local authorities, and then other factors such as the clean air zone in Bristol.
Without entering into the realms of fanciful speculation, I'd like to see some focus on the 376 with new rolling stock on there. Also, you'd anticipate that there's already a plan in relation to the Excel fleet, with the older machines now coming up to 15 years of age. Then you have metrobus (will it ever extend from Long Ashton to Highridge?) and the future plans for metrobus from Parkway to Filton and Cribbs.

Perhaps I need to write down my predictions for 2023 and place in a sealed envelope? It can be buried in a Blue Peter style time capsule in my Italian sunken garden (I haven't got one) and then reclaim it and see how close I get.... :lol:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
In terms of the 349, since I've not been in the office since last spring I've not paid attention to buses between Bristol and Keynsham, but having a look now it seems like First have a 349A. What is that about? Is it just a way of noting that First tickets were valid on the Abus 349? That would make sense since the timings are identical to the A-Bus timetable, but it makes things like Google Maps pretty confusing as it shows the 349A from First and the 349 from Abus!

Buses in Bath

In terms of the 349, since I've not been in the office since last spring I've not paid attention to buses between Bristol and Keynsham, but having a look now it seems like First have a 349A. What is that about? Is it just a way of noting that First tickets were valid on the Abus 349? That would make sense since the timings are identical to the A-Bus timetable, but it makes things like Google Maps pretty confusing as it shows the 349A from First and the 349 from Abus!
The 349A is actually what the service ran by Abus is run under as it is a contract service to First. The 349 is the First service so has the evening timetables whilst the daytime timetables by Abus are registered under 349A.

On another note Alan has said that he will be keeping the R2 which will be retained with Sainsbury's Winterstoke Road. Also on the last day of the 349 he is hoping to operate 2 Bristol LDs.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The 349A is actually what the service ran by Abus is run under as it is a contract service to First. The 349 is the First service so has the evening timetables whilst the daytime timetables by Abus are registered under 349A.

On another note Alan has said that he will be keeping the R2 which will be retained with Sainsbury's Winterstoke Road. Also on the last day of the 349 he is hoping to operate 2 Bristol LDs.
I did wonder if he might just keep the R2 to keep his hand in (but had thought retirement more likely).

I'm sure @carlberry is looking forward to the 349 passing to First in entirety and being renumbered (as the 38 or K1 or something). I had wondered if some Mike Walker/BVBG related fleet might be on the cards?

AB93

Nothing is registered as the 349A, they are both service 349.

The A is merely used internally to differentiate between the operators.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I did wonder if he might just keep the R2 to keep his hand in (but had thought retirement more likely).

I'm sure @carlberry is looking forward to the 349 passing to First in entirety and being renumbered (as the 38 or K1 or something). I had wondered if some Mike Walker/BVBG related fleet might be on the cards?
I wouldn't mind seeing the old single-decker (OAE954M?) out and about too: it has been a long time since I last saw it. I will keep my eyes open for the LDs though.

Dave

carlberry

Established Member
I wouldn't mind seeing the old single-decker (OAE954M?) out and about too: it has been a long time since I last saw it. I will keep my eyes open for the LDs though.

Dave
OAE954M is long gone. Now in late NBC/early Badgerline livery in Northamptonshire. Pictures on Flickr.